VN - Ren'Py - Abandoned - Love and Submission [v0.08] [veqvil]

1. 2.00 star(s)

HunterSeeker

Review as of version .08

The main thing you want to know about this game is that it's a hidden object game. And no, I'm not talking about clicking for clues that may lead to scenes and stuff... Some of these items you have to search for are basically hidden. As in, they blend or camouflage so well with the background and take up so little of the screen. Sometimes they'll only appear at certain sections of the story. Quite frankly, you pretty much need a guide for most of the hidden objects in the game.

The best part of the game are the renders. Everything looks beautiful. However, there isn't too much sexual content. The main story sort of starts out as a normal incest story... Then it progresses waaaay left field and enters into the supernaturual. If you're into extreme genre shifting, this might be the game for you.

But at the end of the day, this game is just pure eye candy. The hidden object portion is just too annoying and the sexual content is lacking despite the great models here. It looks like it'll take a long time before this game actually picks up.
  2. 3.00 star(s)

KrystofDayne

Review on v0.08

I really wanted to give this game a higher rating, I really did. And it'll probably deserve it when it's all said and done. But the way in which the dev has chosen to approach their development of the game really ruined some aspects of it for me. So let's get into some of them.

Spoiler warning: I won't reveal any major story elements but there will necessarily be some minor spoilers regarding some characters and sexual content. So if you haven't played the game yet, just be aware of that.

Pros
    • Main story
    First and foremost, this game is about a great story driving all of the action. The lore being explored here is pretty fascinating and I really like that this whole VN is plot-driven; so many games out there just focus solely on character exploration which inevitably will get dull after some time because it's mostly aimless. But here, the dev seems to have a clear plotline in mind and even though many of the underlying lore mysteries have been cleared up as of this release, I'm still very much interested to see where the story will take us. Well done.​
    • Visuals
    All in all, this game is gorgeous. While a few of the background environments are clearly recycled DAZ assets (the park anyone? again?), most of what you see here looks very unique and the renders are just astonishing. The girls all look very hot and the one proper animation that we see is also very smooth and fluid. So props to the dev here again, I can't wait to see more of the girls.​
    • Characters
    I mostly really like the different characters. The main lack of diversity among them comes from them all being white which I really don't see a good reason for, but apart from that they all look pretty unique and also all have their own personalities. I also like that you have your mom, your sister, but that's it as far as incest is concerned and they otherwise don't get more screentime than other LI's. I'm not completely against incest per se, but I do like when it's balanced out with other LI's, so that's pretty cool. And as I said before, they are also all really hot.​
    • Writing/Dialogue
    This is mostly pretty well done too. The dialogue feels pretty natural and I like the general pace of it.​
    There are some grammar mistakes, the dev seems to have especial issues with irregular past tenses like writing "catched", "hanged" and "teached" which should of course be caught, hung and taught ("hanged" would be correct if they were talking about hanging a person which they are not). I don't know if the dev is a native English speaker, if they're not, then the writing is still pretty good overall, but to me, it reads as though a native speaker actually wrote it. At any rate, I'd probably hire a proofreader with a better grasp of English grammar.​
    Some typos as well although actually fewer than I'm used to.​
    Mehs
    • Gameplay
    While always risky, the sandbox format here is... okay. This is one of these things that'll probably be better in later updates.​
    The first and last couple of chapters, which mostly further the main story but don't focus much on other story or character threads, are the ones where the sandbox format feels most superfluous. Especially later on, you are just skipping through days, waiting for the next story event which can be pretty annoying. At that point you could just get on with it instead of having to go the specific location to trigger the event.​
    But right about in the middle of the game, like chapters 3-5, the sandbox format does come into its own. You actually do have some liberty in which plot to continue first, more locations to explore and so on. I also like the implementation of the quest interface that, should you want to, basically tells you where to go to advance a specific plot line. Big relief from all of these games where you're at least at one point or another down to guessing.​
    I still think that the passage of time is super weird. One day, you do all this different stuff and time doesn't seem to pass at all, then the next day you wake up, give your mom a massage and then it's evening already, like wtf? There should be more consistency there.​
    Mostly the highlights in any given locations are clear enough although you do always wonder if you maybe missed something.​
    I do kinda like that the possible different routes you can go with a given character (love/submission, love/voyeur) are clearly marked so you pretty much know the impact of your decision. Unfortunately, this really only seems important for your relationship with Becky, otherwise you either don't have that choice or, as is the case with your mom, it basically doesn't matter for most of the game.​
    So at the moment, I'm not too thrilled in the way that the dev went about the gameplay but that'll probably be better in later updates when you are more able to take advantage of the format.​
    • Side plots
    Some character threads are just left hanging and especially in later chapters, you're just skipping ahead until the next main story event. I mean, the main story is interesting, don't get me wrong, but then since Chapter 3 or something, the Becky story is just stuck in development? And what happened to Tyrone and Lil T? Lilly and JJ get way too little screentime as well. And whatever happened to the voyeur thing with your mom?​
    I get developing the main story but I actually think it wouldn't be that bad taking your time with that. It's cliff-hanging mystery at any rate. So going deeper into some character arcs could fill out more of the world, take some steam out of the break-neck pace of the main story, give more of a justification for the sandbox format and, possibly most importantly, help with another main issue of this game:​
    • Sexual content
    Slooooow burn. Finally, in chapter 7 you get the first scene that could be considered a sex scene with the MC. I mean, the most that you had up until then was a short dream sequence with characters you didn't know yet at the beginning, one half-seen blowjob that your mom gave to some guy Steve (and only if you went the voyeur route), and some dildo masturbating action from one of the women. Otherwise it was only really innocent teasing.​
    I'm glad this isn't a sex first, story later type game but you gotta give us something. We do go into the game as an adult VN with some expectations after all, and at first the game impresses with loads of gorgeous models but then you just get nothing for such a long time and even the one sex scene you do get is essentially just foreplay.​
    So like I said, I'm glad that sex isn't instantaneous here and that it does have to make some sense story-wise but still, it's an adult VN, give me at least some fap material.​
    • Dumb MC
    I felt like it was pretty obvious what was going on with the Baron family. I mean, I didn't know exactly what sort of being they are, but then again Caitlyn basically revealed it in that pool scene. Combine that with no visible aging, a name like Baron, living in a huge mansion-like house and weird things happening in photos and I was guessing something akin to vampires long before the huge exposition scene that the MC just happened to stumble upon. Only then did he somewhat realize what was going on but throughout was still playing the idiot, during the explanations going like "What? What's going on? I don't understand :(" Come on, dumbass, catch up already. Sure, maybe the MC missed a couple beats and we as players are of course more willing to accept supernatural explanations than characters inside the story, but still. Even if he didn't believe these things yet, he still should be thinking about them and considering them. It's just the trope of the typical dumb MC that can't figure out shit while the players are already way ahead of him. It just doesn't feel realistic. And especially this MC who believes in some weird unproven pseudoscience things like the power of meditation and Chi should be more susceptible to these things than your average Joe. So it kinda breaks the immersion a bit when the MC is that clueless.​

Cons
    • Intersex issues
    The whole thing with Lilly... ah it's not exactly handled gracefully here.​
    On the one hand, props to the dev for including an intersex character, the representation of whom remains almost non-existent in any sort of media.​
    On the other hand, basically everything else relating to her story is handled poorly. Things like the MC saying he would only date her if she were "normal" (good grief, she is normal, you asshole and why do you think she needs your approval?), only talking about her being intersex in the context of a "disorder" (which implies it's something that needs fixing) and the fact that the need for her to have surgery to remove her penis is pretty much a given in the story. Now I'm not saying intersex people shouldn't have the right to gender affirmation surgeries should they desire that, but the way it's treated here makes it seem like that's the only acceptable option for her, like she isn't a real woman until she got that surgery. And a surgery like this is not nothing, these are invasive and dangerous procedures that can potentially damage both a person's physical and mental health and so shouldn't be taken lightly, so to just presuppose the necessity for it here is kind of awful.​
    Not to mention that the fact that she is intersex is like the first and basically only thing we learn about her, like that is all that defines her. The first thing you hear about her is her being JJ's "sister" (come on, what's with the quotation marks, she is his sister, not his "sister"...) and then afterwards the MC and JJ talk about her in some pretty dehumanizing ways, I mean it's definitely not the brother's place to talk to his bro about his sister's genitals, like wtf.​
    I realize these are difficult issues to talk about and like I said, I commend the dev for including them in an at least somewhat compassionate way. But some of the ignorance and prejudice that's still so apparent here can potentially do more harm than good. So I'd advise the dev definitely keep the character but maybe do some more research on the topic of intersex people and their place in society precisely because these are delicate issues.​
    • Racism
    Holy fuck, the racism in the portrayal of the three black guys. Well especially Duke, the violent, rapist thug (literally being called monkey at one point) is the worst. But Tyrone isn't much better, he is portrayed more as the dumb black guy. Lil T seems fine but he's also basically a non-character with only like a handful of renders. Doesn't help that this group of thugs are the only POC in the whole game. And just generally the whole white saviour thing, our white hero stepping in and rescuing the pretty white girl about to get raped by the black guy. Ugh. Just stop it.​
    • Becky development
    I saw the Becky reveal coming from a mile away... of course after two years the formerly fat girl will now have turned into a hot skinny chick. God forbid there would ever be a fat LI in one of these VNs. Come on devs, give fat girls some love, you could still have your pick of the ladies and reject the fat girl if you wanted to.​
    And after some heroic, sexist bullshit of the MC rescuing the damsel in distress, her story is just over? I mean, it's clear there's more to come in future updates but you can't just introduce this character this early and then completely ignore her for the latter half of the game.​

Conclusion

My feeling throughout playing the game was just a semi-permanent groan, just thinking how much better the game could be and how disappointed I was that it constantly seemed to just miss the mark.
    As I said in my intro, I wanted to give this game a higher rating, and maybe after a few updates I can but at the moment, 3 stars is as high as I feel with comfortable with.
  3. 5.00 star(s)

Arcedd

I must say, it's really amazing! It's hard to find such a good game. Compared to many other games of this kind, the story is absolutely mind blowing, the characters are all so different and interesting! I'm almost speechless!
    Truth be told, I can't wait to see more of it!
    Thanks for the amazing work!
  4. 1.00 star(s)

sabadongelov

EDIT 2020-12-19: Since the dev has announced an indefinite leave for the second time, without pausing patreon payments, I've lowered my rating to one star.

Pros
    • Very beautiful models

• Kind of interesting story and mystery

• Proper english
    Cons
    • No sex!
      Two and a half year since the first installment, eight chapters into the story and more than four hours of gameplay (for me at least) and no sex!!! Only a couple of spied masturbatory scenes and some dream sequence that almost had some sex in it.

• Ruined incest-taboo
      Despite the above mentioned dryspell, the incest part of the story opens up with what looks like mother and son french kissing in the first chapter, shortly followed by confirmed french kissing in the first or second chapter (don't remember which). Further more it's quickly revealed that the sister is also pining for her brother and having sexual fantasies about him. Both of these things are discussed openly by the small family and some chapter down the road the sister also gets a kiss on the mouth from her brother. But no sex! So, the game manages the difficult feat of *both* an extreme slow burn with no sex *and* completely ruining the slow seduction/corruption and taboo nature of the incest portion of the game (which I think is what most people who enjoy incest fantasies are looking for).

• Broken sandbox setting
      Most of the time it's not even possible to do anything other than what the quest roster tells you to, and most of the few freedoms that actually exist is in the form of doing quest A day 1 and quest B day 2 or quest B day 1 and quest A day 2 (there might have been a spying scene or two in the beginning that actually wasn't mandatory to move the story forward, but that can also just have been me not checking the quest roster in the beginning).

• MC, handsome or ugly?
      In profile, the MC:s face looks like a 14-year old boy without a chin. Virtually all other male figures actually look better than him in this regard, despite everyone telling him he's handsome. From the front he looks ok though as well as in the old picture he himself disparages (though that's also from the front) and he actually has a toned physique (which is more than can be said for a lot of other erotic game male MC:s who's bodies look like scrawny mannequins), but still, the ugly profile look is minus considering he's cast as good looking by the game.
    Considering the above mentioned cons, it could be discussed if this game deserves anything more than one star, but granted the potential should the dev get his/her shit together and actually start producing an erotic game, it gets two stars.

My suggestion: rewamp the incest portion and make it a slower burn, but with more (and increasing) sexual tension while putting in some optional sex scenes with other characters on a much earlier basis. For instance, the former girlfriend who comes crawling back to the MC, but seems to be forgotten after chapter two and/or maybe some girl who was interested in the MC before he went abroad, and now sees her chance as he's single and back from Asia (could for instance be the waitress in the pizza parlor, she's cute and there's already a model for her).
  5. 4.00 star(s)

babadunde

This has potential to become the most popular renpy game on this site. This game has so much potential if only veqvil doesn't update this every 6 months The seemly large project both is a pro and a con i guess.
  6. A
    5.00 star(s)

ayouba

This was the game that introduced me to the world of VN. I was really sad when I found out that is abandoned, I keep checking it almost every month if something changed but now we are here! Thank you veqvil!

This is the game that you are more interested in story than actual sex interaction atleast for me. The story is brilliant and I can't wait for the next update.

You did great job veqvil and thank you that you didn't left thegame abandoned.
  7. 1.00 star(s)

Condemned77

The game starts off one way(relationship building) with explanations of how it all works but then before that can go anywhere(literally almost nothing) its all thrown out the window and the game focuses entirely on the story completely forgetting about the relationship building.

MC has no control at all and just does everything he is told without question, MC also couldnt be dumber if he tried being way way too trusting(just because someone dosent kill you dosent mean you should do whatever they want).

The story is interesting but from the perspective as someone as dumb as MC its infuriating, MC should be able to figure out whats going on atleast half as fast as the person playing the game, but no.

Not much can be said about the rest of the charaters as there is almost no time spent with any of them including "mom" "sis" and what little else you do get from other charaters the game advises that content will be changed in the future so this game is really all about the dumb MC.

Adding VEQ to everything gives it a very amateur feel.

Freeroam is essentally pointless and could easly be done without.

Art is very nice both in charater and locations but after a playthrough in version 0.8 i found there are no sex scenes althrough you get to see plenty of MCs dick.
  8. 3.00 star(s)

Cedo0099

I'm very conflicted about this. I will probably shock with my review but i had to give my opinion.

I dunno where to begin... ok i will go in general and then in details.

So my first thing to say is the general opinion and rating. I will go no higher than 3 stars for me. This game has a great story and graphics but FAIL for all others aspects. I do not say it is average, i say it fails completely!

For the good points:

- The graphics are awesome, they are really well done. The girls are beautifull,
    You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
    and the environment too.

- The story has its flaws but it's great and interesting overall. The incest part is the worst for my opinion but hey that's all to say. I'm not and english speaker reviewer so my english rating is shitty ^^ For the rest, i can say much without lot of spoiler but that's some interesting work. I do love the progressivity (ok to say in english?) with normal start and suddenly some great moves and mysteries.

Now the very bad...

- The free roam/ open world is a joke... you can't go where you want, the game doesn't allow it. So what's the point? And the worst is that make you do some mistakes because you are tired to look for room to explore and then you give up looking so you miss items and story unlocks. What's the point of this if the game is a VN? Go for it or really make a real open world game. I would prefer the author going for VN because the world is pretty empty and would need a lot of work to make it interesting.

- The worse and kinda related to the previous one. I was able to play 7 chapters and NEVER I HAD SOME SEX IN THIS GAME! WTF!!!! I got dreams (ok that's a scene sex alright) but nothing else... kisses does that count? according to me no! SO may be that is the fact i haven't looked a guide or anything but come on that's a NO GO for me in an adult game. So why it is related to the previous point? because i missed some items to get some sexy scenes probably. It's ok to reward people who search the entire game for clues, rewards ect... but you need some sex every now and then don't you think? My MC got 2 hard ons i think may be 3 that's limit comic btw...

So i was conflicted with all of this because i kinda like that game but i was constantly frustrated during my gameplay. You see candy and can't lick it come on that's awfull :p

May be i made bad choices, may be i missed items and all but that's a failure of the gameplay according to me.

I can't say i have dislike it but that's average because the positive things and negatives ones are the same value. But wow man that was a difficult call for me to be so conflicted about this game.
  9. 2.00 star(s)

ninetofive

I can only assume this game is so high rated because it is a harem incest game because it doesn't really have much else going for it.

I have no idea why people are praising the story it starts very boring and generic and is very slowly moving towards some kind of weird paranormal stuff going on which you get a few vague hints of. I played 2-3 hours and got nowhere with the story and lost interest. It's very poorly written in any case.

Speaking of poorly written the dialogue is painful to get through, most of what is said is not believable conversation and the English is terrible to begin with, and seemingly no proofreading.

The characters up until this point are completely mindless just throw their pussies at the MC type characters, other than one who is just a bitch to MC. Nothing interesting whatsoever.

Animations are pretty much non-existent and those that are in the game are extremely short.

5* game if you're an incest harem fan I guess though :LUL:
  10. 5.00 star(s)

d1gimon

Oh. Damn.

I don't even know where to start, but i'll try.

Have you ever experienced a good book or a movie that completely sucks you in?

As i see it, this is not a "porn game" or another mean to get people off. No. This is something more. This is just perfect, the story, the characters and the visuals just blend together so well that at the same time, you are reading a book, watching a movie and "using" your own imagination. And you don't want to stop.

This is 10/10 and at this moment my honest opinion is that this is one of the best VN games around if not the best!
  11. 5.00 star(s)

TheAlvin

This was the game that introduced me to the world of VN. I was really sad when I found out that is abandoned. It has great characters, graphics and very very interesting story in my opinion, so sad to see its gone
  12. 5.00 star(s)

metalliko

There have been some improvements since the first update. It is breathtaking.

This game gets better with each update:
    - The story is slow and consistent from start to finish;
    - The female characters are superb;
    - The mixture of genres with the addition of fantasy is successful.

I just regret that the mother's narrative arc is a little too fast, however. She falls a little too fast for the hero
  13. 5.00 star(s)

Nichiren

fun story with interesting twists on the supernatural, characters are diverse and interesting. simple yet fun puzzle/exploration gameplay. hopefully as the game progresses we will get to dive more into the different characters and their pesonalities.
  14. 5.00 star(s)

rihanradian

unique VN with fantasy story background. everone will love to play it. really2 hope this game going as well, i am actually like this story line with mode element and more variant stuff in the story main and very interesting dialogue
  15. 5.00 star(s)

Anem

Genuinely a really good game with a very compelling story to follow along with, also the quality of the renders is very good and the writing is excellent.
    Veqil's private situation has kept him from developing this further for about a year or something but now he's back and I hope it's all sorted and will continue. I absolutely adore this game
  16. 5.00 star(s)

Blayo

This game is the bomb EVEN without the whole "landlady/roommate" thing, but that makes it even better;). I love the new update, quest log is great, new and remade renders are fantastic, music is also very nice. This game is one of the rare gems here, story is intriguing, all girls are beautiful, Aiden is the man, Barons' eyes just WOW...

The supernatural aspect is unparalleled in adult VNs, I had goosebumps when I went through the last updates of main story and I couldn't tear myself away from my PC. I ended up sleeping two hours before having to leave for work because if it.

And the prospect of "sisters" route has to be the most appealing thing in all of the games on this site. Both Miri and Cait are my favourite babes, not only in this game, but in all the games ever (OK, maybe they are tied for first place with a certain Luna and Gracie :sneaky:). I know it's probably a long ways away before any 3's happen with them, but I can't help but be so fcking hype for it. :love:

All the best to developer, I hope he can finish his vision, because it is bound to be a masterpiece.
  17. 5.00 star(s)

Serane

I am honestly very impressed with the story behind this game. It's creative and brings a lot of twist that would usually get overlooked in this genre. It's starting a little slow, but hopefully it will pick up as it gets completed.
  18. 5.00 star(s)

Delishious

What i loved:

*Gorgeous art.

*Love the storyline.

*The feel of mystery is well done, which i wont spoil.

*And the characters feel very natural.

What may be improved(non-exhaustive):
    *Some objects can be hard to click like the small notebook. Its something minor but it wouldnt be bad at all if they are little easier to click.

5/5
  19. 4.00 star(s)

Buddawg

Pretty decent for a VN with minor sandboxing.
    Images are good, pretty darn good.
    But the winner here, is the storyline Its confusing, and working up to something. But we are most likely a good bit far from near the end.

You do have minor puzzles to fix in the game, but the hint system is very good at explaining what to do, to progress. But the hints doesnt show all content. And the walkthrough, is wonky. Seems some things have been removed in the game.

Not much sexytimes yet at all, but lets hope it comes.
  20. 5.00 star(s)

Maduck187

One of the best stories among the numerous games I've played on the site, hands down. Renders are beautiful and characters are interesting. I'm lucky to have found it only a month before the return of veqvil, so I'm really looking forward to how the story progresses.