• To improve security, we will soon start forcing password resets for any account that uses a weak password on the next login. If you have a weak password or a defunct email, please update it now to prevent future disruption.

Xiondingens

Oct 25, 2018
I praise you on invoking the sword of damocles, cause it's exactly what is is now that I think about it lol
Glad you liked it. :)
However, I think she's one of the most well rounded characters, we're all sidecharacters in other people's stories - but if you compare her with Futaba, then you see what really is being a sidecharacter. Chika is actively changing her life through these "sidestories".
Eh, i dont think it means much that she is better in that regard then the worst character in it.
She finds a mother figure, she gets a better job to take care of her sister, she finds another apartment to also take care of her sister and in pursuit of the life she wants with her boyfriend, she turns out to be an actively great person in her aftercare with Rin, she keeps trying to have Yumi grow and is (maybe overly) keen on bettering herself in relation to how she deals with Akira (blaming her lack of experience in relationships and not measuring up to him).
Yeah, here i have to disagree, she didnt find those things. Sel just gave them to her. Finding would include searching. But the rich mother figure basically deus ex machinaed into her life. And the job she got without any real work done we have seen. I mean compare that to the struggle yumi did go
through to get her job. Yumi did deserve her job. Chika just got the job because sel wanted that to happen. There is no struggle with her, no work, she just gets stuff and it never ever feels like she did earn those things. And that is my main problem with her. Just look at when chinami got sick, that could have been a struggle, but nah, it just got solved by the reset.

I agree we're stuck on the denial gag with her, but that's understandable story-wise cause if that shit went down it would cause everything to go down with it, and we need a little more time for the story to reach that point. But even that is somewhat understandable too, because you can interpret it as she trying her hardest to believe in Akira's intentions as to compensate for her own inadequacy in the relationship (in her own naive mind).
I disagree that it is understandable. This storyline could have already been done and finished. I mean her denial borders on been pathological and i am just annoyed by it at this point. And in her relationship she is either lovey dovey making already decisions in her mind about their future together. Making decisions alone -just think about she demanding him to take care of chinami when he wasnt even able to take care of himself at this point. But it is not as if she actually gave a shit. Or even wasted a single thought about his needs and wants. It is always just about her and what she wants. She doesnt even know the guy and i dont see her even give a single fuck about that fact, or even acknowledge it. I mean when it comes to him, i would even go so far to say that she is worse then Ami in just having her perfect image of him and just deny everything that would contradict this image.

Huh, now that i think about it, i wonder if her mother was also like that and this is why her baby daddy left her. :unsure:

• Thinking Face
Reactions: Moonflare

Moonflare

Aug 23, 2023
When i was rereading some old events, i was thinking about what could differentiate the people we interact with the shadow people, you know, those in the background, that may or may not even real people to begin with. And then i thought about it how much some of the characters actually share some traits with akira. Like, guilt, abandonment issues, loss of a important person, self loathing, not been able to let go, not been a good person and all that.

I have often stated that i did believe this whole timeloop thing did feel like it was there to punish maya. But what if this isnt really so much about her and akira, but about everyone with a face? I mean especially the loss part and/or been abandonet is something a lot of characters share in one way or the other.

Chika and Chinami, abandonet by father iirc and lost the mother.
Yumi, abandonet by mother, neglected by father.
Ayane, neglected by father, i dont remember anything about her mother right now, not even if she was ever mentioned, so i will just assume she is out of the picture as well.
Sara and Sana, father left, lost bother/son.
Makoto, Maki lost father/husband, i mean he was already so long out of the picture even before his death and neglected by her mother that she started to project her need for a father figure on to him for a while already.
Miku, lost parents.
Futaba, i am not sure if she actually did qualify for the loss/abandonment in any way. At least i cant recal anything in that regard. Feel free to correct if there is something i just dont remember.
Rin, abandonet by both parents and got adopted.
Ami, lost both parents.
Maya, i think we can assume she lost both parents or got abandonet by them? Never clearly stated what, but something is clearly going on.
Molly, i mean she did left her home, family and friends, so i guess that counts? Maybe her mother is dead? :unsure: At least i always just remember her talking about her father.
Tsuneyo, mother is dead i think, and her father is dying for a few million years by now, you know, how normal do these things.
Uta, she lost her grandfather, or at least i think that was uta. :unsure:
Io, i dont remember if we ever got told it, but she is living with her aunt, so something must have happened even when i dont remember what.
Nodoka, i have actually no idea. Dont remember if that was ever brought up. But the fact how hard on she is for becomming his daughter has to count for something.
Otoha, i actually have no idea. I mean her parents are still there. But maybe the whole bother thing with him is hinting at something.
Touka, neglected by father.
Yasu, was adopted and after that i guess we can assume those new parents did abandon her as well.
Noriko, Niki, they both got abandoned by Akira.
Kirin, Karin, this is a hard one, because i cant think of anything that would qualify them her.
Haruka, her husband is gone for a while now.
Kaori, isnt it stated that her parents died in the accident? Yeah, think it is and then everyone believed her to be dead as well.
Yuki, did abandon her daugther and i guess she herself didnt really had contact to her family for whatever reason.
Wakana, Osako, i dont know, i mean Wakana did cut ties with her rich family, but beyond that i cant think of anything.
Tsukasa, neglected by the whole family as the backup daughter.
Imani, was there not something about some dead siblings? At least i remember that been implied to be connected to her burns.
Rika, got kicked out by her spouse.
Nao, got clearly abdandoned by her eldritch family. Probably because she was just too creepy even for them.

Edit for some corrections, note of thanks go to LoveBlueHairedGirl.
I mean, they all have issues, and there's probably a compelling reason as to why these specific 35 people keep being reset - but I don't know if abandonment is that. Karin, Otoha, Niki and Noriko have more or less present families.

I can add that Nodoka takes care of her ailing mother. And also that there was that one theory that shadow people/homeless were normal people that simply broke as resets went on.

I don't know. Maybe the reason that binds all 35 in that they need to learn how to love in a healthy way (and clearly none of them is there yet). Roll credits.

thebladeofwar

Mar 28, 2018
Still playing catch up and I am a bit confused. Is this a lore mess up or did I misread something or a "Keep reading and find out" moment?
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
Then again, everyone could be lying to me at this point.

Moonflare

Aug 23, 2023
Glad you liked it. :)
Eh, i dont think it means much that she is better in that regard then the worst character in it.
Yeah, here i have to disagree, she didnt find those things. Sel just gave them to her. Finding would include searching. But the rich mother figure basically deus ex machinaed into her life. And the job she got without any real work done we have seen. I mean compare that to the struggle yumi did go
through to get her job. Yumi did deserve her job. Chika just got the job because sel wanted that to happen. There is no struggle with her, no work, she just gets stuff and it never ever feels like she did earn those things. And that is my main problem with her. Just look at when chinami got sick, that could have been a struggle, but nah, it just got solved by the reset.

I disagree that it is understandable. This storyline could have already been done and finished. I mean her denial borders on been pathological and i am just annoyed by it at this point. And in her relationship she is either lovey dovey making already decisions in her mind about their future together. Making decisions alone -just think about she demanding him to take care of chinami when he wasnt even able to take care of himself at this point. But it is not as if she actually gave a shit. Or even wasted a single thought about his needs and wants. It is always just about her and what she wants. She doesnt even know the guy and i dont see her even give a single fuck about that fact, or even acknowledge it. I mean when it comes to him, i would even go so far to say that she is worse then Ami in just having her perfect image of him and just deny everything that would contradict this image.

Huh, now that i think about it, i wonder if her mother was also like that and this is why her baby daddy left her. :unsure:
In her conversation with Rin after the "taking care of Chinami" thing, Rin does point out a lot of that and she states that she fucked up, and that is her constant fault for not measuring up to this relationship thing.

I agree that she doesn't address the main issue, also pointed out by Rin, that she simply doesn't know Akira because the real one would not correspond to what she needs from him (as she didn't know Otoha, and for all my dislike of Otoha, Rin bears some fault in that as well for not allowing herself to see what was in front of her).

Xiondingens

Oct 25, 2018
I still think it is remarkable how many characters are connected by the sharing experience in loss and abandonment. And i am sure i could make more list's with other stuff. I just decided to make this one first after i did notice that almost every single one of them have something like this.

Reactions: Moonflare

Moonflare

Aug 23, 2023
Still playing catch up and I am a bit confused. Is this a lore mess up or did I misread something or a "Keep reading and find out" moment?
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
Then again, everyone could be lying to me at this point.
Yasu belongs to the church of NEW hope. It is assumed that HOPE died and they are now trying to bring him back. Can't go into more detail without spoilers as you seem to not be up to current build yet.

• Thinking Face
Reactions: LoveBlueHairedGirl

barglenarglezous

Engaged Member
Sep 5, 2020
I still think it is remarkable how many characters are connected by the sharing experience in loss and abandonment. And i am sure i could make more list's with other stuff. I just decided to make this one first after i did notice that almost every single one of them have something like this.
There is a core theme of the game, and of its precursor game (Nothing is Beautiful, which was never finished and will get a ground-up remake if Sel ever finishes LiL), that some people need to experience the absolute worst of the world in order to see the beauty in it. So every character has, or will have, some form of unresolved trauma as a core component of their arc. For most of them, it's clearly something in their past, but for others it seems to be happening within the story (Maki and Makoto come to mind)

Touka's the only main girl who's enjoyed a trauma-free life up to this point, which doesn't bode well for her.

Moonflare

Aug 23, 2023
There is a core theme of the game, and of its precursor game (Nothing is Beautiful, which was never finished and will get a ground-up remake if Sel ever finishes LiL), that some people need to experience the absolute worst of the world in order to see the beauty in it. So every character has, or will have, some form of unresolved trauma as a core component of their arc. For most of them, it's clearly something in their past, but for others it seems to be happening within the story (Maki and Makoto come to mind)

Touka's the only main girl who's enjoyed a trauma-free life up to this point, which doesn't bode well for her.
Tsubasa seems to be a Selebus follower then cause she is basically engineering her daughter's worst of the world herself through Akira.

TheSeedy1

Jan 2, 2020

I dread what will happen to Touka but it's kind of necessary at this point for her story to progress - and for her to fall into Akira's web.

If anyone deserves a fucking break though, it's Noriko.

falco256

May 27, 2019

true, though honestly, characters that have traumatic pasts often make for very interesting ones, hell there's a light novel I read a few years ago, which is even more screwed up than this, and its utterly brutal, but the characters in it are so complex, messed up and traumatized that you can't not sympathize with them. And considering some of the things they do to get revenge is truly beyond wrong. But it's another Japanese book, and the revenge they get on the bad guy is kinda satisfying once you learn about everything the guy did. Honestly, it's a hard book to recommend, because it's just plain wrong and yet if you read it, you can't stop, because it's like a train wreck.

I think thats one of the things that draws me to this game, I like broken, complex and traumatized characters, because I like to see if they can put themselves and/or each other back together.

falco256

May 27, 2019
I suspect that within an update of sleeping with Akira, she's gonna walk in on him taking her mom to pound town while Tsukasa watches or something.

Only to find out she's pregnant.
I dunno, I think the most traumatic thing for Touka would be to be second best to Tsukasa, someone she and her mother seem to see as replaceable. Hell, the fact that Tsubasa was joking about calling to police on Akira when he said he didn't think it was safe to be around Tsukasa is more than questionable. Couple with how Tsukasa pretty much tells him he could do whatever he wanted and no one would care.

Touka would freak out if her sister got to tap that first.

Last edited:
  • Thinking Face
Reactions: LoveBlueHairedGirl

Antosha

Feb 28, 2018
Nodoka, when she stole Yumi's clothes and then tricked Akira into going there, catching the girl naked. then Nodoka blackmailed her to get revenge for Futaba, and then sucked Akira off whilst she was huddled and trying to cover herself up. Yumi's a bit of a dick at times, but that was all sorts of wrong.
Yumi is (was) a bully, and said and did some awful things — but Nodoka is a truly SHITTY person. I’d put her below Sensei on the levels-of-hell scale. I mean, Akira is tortured by regret for his own actions (the worst of which occur while he is conveniently out of control) and Yumi (like her mom) seems to be trying to change.

But Nodoko? A remorseless POS. What she did to Yumi in that scene was revenge — but way out of proportion. How she treated her supposed friend Futaba (not to mention the rest of the girls in her class) by broadcasting intimate experiences as entertainment was wildly inconsiderate, if not downright cruel. (That she outs and essentially blackmails Akira I’m less disgusted by… because he’s disgusting. As he’d tell you himself.) She pushes her roommate to have sex with Rin, even though Otoha really isn’t ready for that. (Rin wants it. Whether she’s ready is a whole other question.)

But what she did to Io?

Nope. That is one psychopathic, sick b$;$3$.

Though I thank her for providing us with that scene with Makoto, Molly, Noriko, Sana, Kirin, and Rin. That was some excellent fan service. :nods:

Last edited:
4.20 star(s) 292 Votes