• To improve security, we will soon start forcing password resets for any account that uses a weak password on the next login. If you have a weak password or a defunct email, please update it now to prevent future disruption.

Least Favorite Game Trope?

Volta

Apr 27, 2017
There's a few tropes I don't like but I haven't seen them in games though. Here's two I have found in games.

1) Mind Control
2) Forced rape.
3) Speaking to the person (typically woman) like they're shit and beating them.
Now i quite like mind control game, but never found the appeal in forcing people to do things they didn't want to do, odd i know but i always vastly preferred the little subconscious prod in the "right" direction, if at any point the character is forced to "break" or is simply forced openly against their will it just gets too rapey for me, the fun part of those games is making them want to do whatever the MC wants them to do, not remove their personality or abuse them but sort of "convince" them.

Also totally agree about the beating, it's not hot, it never was, it's not something i think should be done by an MC even an antihero MC, sure it's got a place in story telling but keep it well away from the sex scenes.

Alowicious

Dec 30, 2017
Now i quite like mind control game, but never found the appeal in forcing people to do things they didn't want to do, odd i know but i always vastly preferred the little subconscious prod in the "right" direction, if at any point the character is forced to "break" or is simply forced openly against their will it just gets too rapey for me, the fun part of those games is making them want to do whatever the MC wants them to do, not remove their personality or abuse them but sort of "convince" them.

Also totally agree about the beating, it's not hot, it never was, it's not something i think should be done by an MC even an antihero MC, sure it's got a place in story telling but keep it well away from the sex scenes.
Actually there was one game I did like but I would call it less complete mind control and more "the ability of persuasion".

Reactions: Volta

Hajtand

Nov 5, 2017
My own least favorite (most hated) trope is probably futa/transvestites/herms/whatever. I have a lot of negatives to say about what I feel regarding that fetish. I'm repulsed. I don't think there's much constructive to be said, so let's just leave it like this.
I thought it needed to be said. Letting the other things put into perspective how much I hate this genre.
*sidenote I don't "mind" gay m/m stuff (I like f/f). I don't seek it out or want it... but I can "live" with it in a game. The transvestite/futa stuff is just too much for me.

I hate NTR for NTR's sake. I don't mind the characters having a life before they get in a relationship with the MC's, I don't mind them having a sex life before meeting the MC. I also understand that's not strictly speaking NTR or being cucked, I just wanted to make myself clear. I hate it, when the MC's woman just goes out and cheat on him, flaunts it in his face, and he simply accepts it like a weakling. I hate the black superiority bullshit even more. What if the game was about white power? Reverse the thing. He can't do jack shit because his skin colour is black. He's subhuman and deserves to be treated as such. Not cool? Well, that's my thoughts too. Don't like it, don't want it.

Sexual violence for sexual violence's sake. I don't mind violence to move a good plot forward. A little sexual violence is not to my liking, but I can "live" with that stuff. When we enter the gory territory I'm out. Split open the stomach and have sex with the hole, while afterwards tearing out the uterus while she is still alive... not for me. There are games like which looks "innocent" enough, until you find out it's batshit insane. The tearing out the uterus part was not an exaggeration to make a point.

Hajtand

Nov 5, 2017
Probably female protagonist games with straight sex, i mean mostly mc just gets raped,where's the fun in that >>
I agree. I too hate those kind of games.
A missed opportunity and counter–intuitive/unrewarding game-play wise.

My thoughts on the subject.
Most of the female MC games are made for men. Men who likes the idea of going out hunting for cock under the guise of it's not really gay because they are a woman in this game. Telling their peers they don't see themselves as the MC... yet it's coincidentally vitally important that the MC is a woman in their games. A woman who has sex with every living and breathing male or phallic object. Yes it's not gay that the woman has sex with men... but it's kind of gay, wanting to keep experiencing the hunt for cock.

We are in different times today. People don't mind "you" (those enjoying those kind of games) are gay. The're people developing male on male homosexual games, that could use your support.

Last edited:

HalGLC

May 12, 2017

I 100% understand what you mean, the perfect example is the ICSTOR game Milf's Control. You get a magic ring that can control women, only ICSTOR was inconsistent about it. Sometimes they seemed in a daze or don't realize what they're doing, sometimes they're 'aware' but mind controlled to be really into it, but sometimes they were literally just controlled to do what you want and are laying there like "Why . . . why am I letting you fuck me!?"

Those scenes got real uncomfortable

I get by definition mind control is rape (can't give consent if you've been controlled to do it, even 'nudging' and 'power of persuasion' is wonky the same way a woman drinking can't give consent, etc) and that's actually why Patreon made Devs take down MC content, but I dunno, unless it's the last example above I don't associate it as non-consensual even though some critical thinking makes it clear it is

megaplayboy10k

Apr 16, 2018
I 100% understand what you mean, the perfect example is the ICSTOR game Milf's Control. You get a magic ring that can control women, only ICSTOR was inconsistent about it. Sometimes they seemed in a daze or don't realize what they're doing, sometimes they're 'aware' but mind controlled to be really into it, but sometimes they were literally just controlled to do what you want and are laying there like "Why . . . why am I letting you fuck me!?"

I get by definition mind control is rape (can't give consent if you've been controlled to do it, even 'nudging' and 'power of persuasion' is wonky the same way a woman drinking can't give consent, etc) and that's actually why Patreon made Devs take down MC content, but I dunno, unless it's the last example above I don't associate it as non-consensual even though some critical thinking makes it clear it is
A lot of sexual fantasy, in a manner of speaking, involves "manufactured" consent. You fantasize that someone who wouldn't give you the time of day is really into you and just wants to get it on with you, just the way you want it. Fantasizing that you're "irresistibly attractive" isn't that different from a mind control fantasy.
I suppose you could have a game with a main character who is an unconscious projective empath, and whenever they feel something strongly enough for someone else, that person will mirror those emotions. And maybe it takes the MC some time to figure out what's going on, from which point they can choose whether or not to use that ability and/or under what circumstances to use it.

Volta

Apr 27, 2017

This all makes complete sense, no MC content really holds water in real life. However in games the same rules don't apply, i just like to steer clear of anything that feels too "rapey", boozed up sex for example, especially if it seems consensual and both parties are equally sloshed doesn't bother me in a game but IRL it'd be more troubling. I personally don't ever enjoy it if one party feels forced, unwilling or simply isn't that into it, one party being unsure and then getting into it works for me, but for the meat and potatoes of the scene both parties have to want it, otherwise it's at best "meh" and more likely pretty off putting for me, that's part of why the heavy handed MC content like you describe in ICSTOR's stuff puts my back up, same for the "drone" stuff in Superpowered, just not hot, the whole living sex doll thing does nothing for me.

AmazonessKing

Amazoness Entrepreneur
Aug 13, 2019
  • You have to lose the game in order to get sex scenes. Usually with female MCs.
  • A single game mix way too much fetishes.
  • Forced conflict through sex.
  • Playing as a dad.
  • Pointless morality systems.
  • Fucking time limits.
  • Barely any gameplay.
Honestly, most of those tropes are annoying in normal games, let alone sex games.

Not a fan of those games where the MC gets transported to a game world and then goes on to fuck NPCs who don't even react to him
Is this really that common, though? I know isekai was really popular in japan a few years back, but I barely see it work like you say.
Fantasizing that you're "irresistibly attractive" isn't that different from a mind control fantasy.
The difference is how you achieve it, in a different fantasy you usually want to be liked back, not just liked because, that feels really shallow, and even though some people may be into it, it's still lazy if everyone wants you for no fucking reason whatsoever. I always thought mind control is a lazy way to make plots, most of the time at least, even if you are into mind control as I am. I really liked Snow Daze because even though there was mind control involved, the MC still had to make it work correctly and slowly and he could fuck up at any moment if he said the wrong words.

Yomi

Ronin
Donor
Aug 27, 2017
Excessive deconstruction or "ironic" parodying of storytelling tropes in visual novels.

Mourp

Jun 15, 2017
Blackmail as an okay, sensible thing to do about a character that doesn't like you is very off-putting. It's just straight up villain behavior and too often it's shown as a heroic choice. It's like Batman using a gun. I guess he can, but I don't like it.

Apr 18, 2019
MCs that only behave like 12 years olds. MCs that must be played like either total asshole or total loser to progress. And I'm not a fan of overly shy or immature female love interests, which is dominant in most anime style VNs.