• To improve security, we will soon start forcing password resets for any account that uses a weak password on the next login. If you have a weak password or a defunct email, please update it now to prevent future disruption.

VN Ren'Py KLK Ryûko's Rumble dev thread

Gwedelino

Game Developer
Sep 4, 2017
Still patiently waiting.
Yeah, I know it's been pretty long as it's been more than 1 year since I've made this thread, but that's necessary if I want to create something that could get finished one day.

At the very beginning, I thought I could release a first demo during winter 2022, but that was completely unrealistic considering the amount of work required to create something nice.

I could release the latest playtest build right now as the official V0.I, as I think most testers would say it's decent enough to be posted online. To be honest, the very first demo won't be very different from the 2nd testbuild, it will be just some fixes, text editing, replacing some music/audio files an adding more illustrations.

But doing that would both mean:

- Straight up ignoring all the review testers made for me.

- Completely rush the whole thing and putting me in a bad situation for the following updates.

So yeah, people will have to wait a bit more. :(

cooky223

Jul 25, 2019
2 musicians already, huh? Looks like I missed the boat, though if you are still in need, I would be very interested in contributing some of my prior work to this project. I think my account is too immature on F95 to send links or send PMs or whatever, but I've joined your Discord and can send you links there. My specialization is literally Kill la Kill music, lol.

Envy*

Apr 10, 2022
Yeah, I know it's been pretty long as it's been more than 1 year since I've made this thread, but that's necessary if I want to create something that could get finished one day.

At the very beginning, I thought I could release a first demo during winter 2022, but that was completely unrealistic considering the amount of work required to create something nice.

I could release the latest playtest build right now as the official V0.I, as I think most testers would say it's decent enough to be posted online. To be honest, the very first demo won't be very different from the 2nd testbuild, it will be just some fixes, text editing, replacing some music/audio files an adding more illustrations.

- Completely rush the whole thing and putting me in a bad situation for the following updates.

As for any game developer, whether it's a classic game or an adult game, it's better to take your time, even if it means pushing back the date to release a quality game than a half-completed game.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comme pour tout développeur de jeu, que ce soit un jeu classique ou un jeu adulte, il vaut mieux prendre son temps, quitte à repousser la date pour sortir un jeu de qualité qu'un jeu à moitié complet.

FckedSilly

Aug 30, 2018

I’m not trying to convince you, and I’m not trying to argue, but how would releasing the current build as v0.1 rush you or discredit the tester reviews? Again, I’m not trying to convince you to do anything I just don’t understand the reasoning.

Gwedelino

Game Developer
Sep 4, 2017
I’m not trying to convince you, and I’m not trying to argue, but how would releasing the current build as v0.1 rush you or discredit the tester reviews? Again, I’m not trying to convince you to do anything I just don’t understand the reasoning.
It would rush me because people will be expecting new content and regular updates once the first public demo is available. Once it goes public, the pressure on my shoulder will increase automatically.

I would prefer to have a lot of content already ready to go when this day will come out, and listening to the reviews playtesters gave me also mean adding more work to the pile of things I have to do before releasing a public build.

If I release a public build before listening to these review, it means making the first update harder, since all the artists who help me getting all the assets I need would have to split their work time between the reviews' content and the first update's content which will surely delay the later. That's not really a situation I would like to end up with.

So there's no point to release a public build before making all the changes I need thanks to the reviews, except if I ignore them, but that would be disrespectful to the playtesters and would destroy the whole point of these playtests.

Gwedelino

Game Developer
Sep 4, 2017
Hello Everybody.

It's time for another update.

I'm spending most of my time working on the main script and making all the little changes needed thanks to the reviews I received.

I think I'll stop working on the UI, as the current design looks good enough for me.
UI.jpg

I'm currently trying to improve the SFX, mostly those related to action/combat or sex. So far, I've mainly used free assets but several testers told me that it could be it could be done better. I could commission more VA/ sound designer to do it, but that's a little bit expensive. I'm thinking about buying SFX packs, as it sounds like a rather good solution. I found something that could fit for action/combat sfx but I'm a bit struggling to do the same for sex SFX.

I'll also soon be looking for another native english speaker proofreader. There are still a few typos in my script but also some oddly builded sentences that can be disturbing to native english reader. One proofreader is not enough. I currently can't really pay for it at the full market rates, so I'll have to find another solution.

I plan to add 5 more CGs to the V0.1 thanks to the playtests, so the V0.1 will have 23 unique CGs instead of 18.
Most of the artists working with me are either making those CGs or already working on the V0.2 content.

Sorry, no sexy sneak peek this time, I'm keeping everything secret to not spoil you too much. :)

That's all.

Dec 7, 2020
Hello Everybody.

I'm spending most of my time working on the main script and making all the little changes needed thanks to the reviews I received.

I think I'll stop working on the UI, as the current design looks good enough for me.
View attachment 2819075

I'm currently trying to improve the SFX, mostly those related to action/combat or sex. So far, I've mainly used free assets but several testers told me that it could be it could be done better. I could commission more VA/ sound designer to do it, but that's a little bit expensive. I'm thinking about buying SFX packs, as it sounds like a rather good solution. I found something that could fit for action/combat sfx but I'm a bit struggling to do the same for sex SFX.

I'll also soon be looking for another native english speaker proofreader. There are still a few typos in my script but also some oddly builded sentences that can be disturbing to native english reader. One proofreader is not enough. I currently can't really pay for it at the full market rates, so I'll have to find another solution.

I plan to add 5 more CGs to the V0.1 thanks to the playtests, so the V0.1 will have 23 unique CGs instead of 18.
Most of the artists working with me are either making those CGs or already working on the V0.2 content.

Sorry, no sexy sneak peek this time, I'm keeping everything secret to not spoil you too much. :)

That's all.
I'm not a native English speaker either, and when I write, although I think I do it more or less correctly, I tend to come out with sentences that are too long and awkward. I guess something similar happens to you.

In any case, your game's text is perfectly understandable, there are games with much worse English on this website.

Reactions: Envy*

Envy*

Apr 10, 2022
Hello Everybody.

View attachment 2819075

That's all.
Du coup, seul le français et l'anglais seront disponible ?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So only French and English will be available?

Gwedelino

Game Developer
Sep 4, 2017
Du coup, seul le français et l'anglais seront disponible ?

So only French and English will be available?

Je ne pense pas qu'ajouter d'autres langues serait intéressant. Cela serait beaucoup de travail pour très peu de personnes concernées.

I don't think adding any other language would be a good idea. it's too much work for far too few results.

Reactions: Envy*

Oct 26, 2017
Localization is not recommended at all for a brand new project - start with one language (two if you want, but that's already a lot of extra effort for a VN). However, if you plan to add it in the future, adding the framework for it is a good idea as it makes it far easier for translators to coordinate efforts and for you to smoothly integrate it into the project. It's also a built-in module in Ren'py if I remember correctly, since VNs/LNs are infinitely easier to translate than games that require playtesting by the translators for full access to context (or else you get one of the many infamous fuckups in history - it just shows that TL teams were given a list of strings to translate and that's it, so the localization is hilariously broken as it is technically correct but makes zero sense in practice, and usually just single words too - a recipe for disaster).

You add more languages to attract more people after you have a quality product, not before, so I'm with Gwedelino on this. It would just delay the release and increase the workload and budget for nothing of value, leading to increased risks of failure upon or prior to launch (games that never see the light) as well.

TL;DR: Localization doesn't come into play until you have a solid version to launch. Just add the framework if Ren'py doesn't already include it (and it probably does).

Stealth edit: Technicalities.

(Famous fuckups in RPGs/SRPGs include the Disgaea, Breath of Fire and Final Fantasy series, some of which were butchered due to the massive amount of dialogue involved and how the respective companies chose to tackle the issue. Anyone playing a localized version can tell you about it without any Japanese knowledge, or even without playing the game at all for that matter; the fuckups extended to concatenating translated strings - ask a developer how smart it is to concatenate two things without knowing what they were meant to be, they don't have to know anything about linguistics or even have decent grammar use to conclude it is a very bad idea. Even a MTL would read better for those games, and this is incredibly sad to anyone paying attention to the story and even random NPC dialogue.)

Edit: I just have to write walls of text or it just won't count as a proper post. So much for stealth edits and TL;DRs. :sneaky:

Last edited:

Gwedelino

Game Developer
Sep 4, 2017
Yes, I know that adding any other language than english is usually not worth it for the dev (except maybe chinese if you plan to sell your game on steam, but I'm not going to do it.)

I'm close to another french dev that recently released his new game here, making an english and a french version, and the french version must be no more than 2% orr 3% of total downloads he got on this website.

I think it's an even lower percentage compared to what's the french-speaking community size on this website. I'm pretty sure that a lot of french people are still downloading the english version of the game (just like people who prefer to watch the original version of a movie rather than the dubbed one.)

On the other hand, I have the feeling that making an android version seems to be more and more important over time. A lot of people are downloading those.

swaydev

Aug 3, 2023
Been following your project for a while now over on discord, still looking good and can't wait to play it even if it takes another year :cool:

Gwedelino

Game Developer
Sep 4, 2017
Been following your project for a while now over on discord, still looking good and can't wait to play it even if it takes another year :cool:
Thanks for the shout out and Good luck with your project too.

However, I should be able to release something this year.

I'm currently aiming for November.

kk2oven

Game Developer
Feb 11, 2021
Grammarly is quite good, even the free version fixes a lot of things.

Reactions: Gwedelino

Gwedelino

Game Developer
Sep 4, 2017
Grammarly is quite good, even the free version fixes a lot of things.
Thanks for the help. I've tested Grammarly and it's working really well, it's way better than my previous Deep L + Google docs combo.

I think I'll still need a proofreader in the end, but my script seems much more cleaner using Grammarly.