VN I Was a Teenage Vampire (Development Thread)

Apr 18, 2021
You wheren't kidding with the 80's vibes. Looks cool! Have you made those tv filters in Photoshop or what's your workflow?
The game has real-time filters with static, chromatic aberration and some pixelation to simulate analog film. I'm tweaking the effect to achieve a vhs vibe but not deliver too poor of quality in image. The demo will likely look slightly different and I'll be seeking feedback to adjust this as development progresses.

Soulonus

Dec 23, 2021
Any particular reason/feature you chose to use Unity over RenPy?

Unity VNs end up being more resource-intensive afaik

Apr 18, 2021
Any particular reason/feature you chose to use Unity over RenPy?

Unity VNs end up being more resource-intensive afaik
To put it simply, there are a lot of great RenPy Daz3D VNs out there right now and I want to do something different. This is a hybrid of "visual novel" and "point and click adventure", similar to something you might find in the 90s. This game will look and play much differently than the current college student VNs which are popular.

DoneDoof

Mar 25, 2021
You commented on one of my posts and found my way here, this looks neat. definitely will give it a shot. That poster is fantastic by the way, made me interested before looking what the game even was. I always thought 80s horror would be an interesting setting. Good luck!

• Red Heart
Reactions: Fatalmasterpiece

Penumbral Evanescence

|☽◯☾| Somnium of the Night ✧ Bête Noire
Donor
Jul 16, 2021
Love this concept! Yeah, 80s horror is definitely a really unique and innovative setting that your game world takes place in. Plus, I've always been fascinated with the mythos surrounding vampires, and vampiric lore. Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines anyone? Wink, wink, nudge, nudge :sneaky:

This is a hybrid of "visual novel" and "point and click adventure", similar to something you might find in the 90s
Ah, I see. In that case, would the style of the game/environments be somewhat reminiscent of let's say "The Kathy Rain" detective series? I've included a few screenies below as an example, in the event you were not familiar with the game.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

• Red Heart
Apr 18, 2021
Love this concept! Yeah, 80s horror is definitely a really unique and innovative setting that your game world takes place in. Plus, I've always been fascinated with the mythos surrounding vampires, and vampiric lore. Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines anyone? Wink, wink, nudge, nudge :sneaky:

Ah, I see. In that case, would the style of the game/environments be somewhat reminiscent of let's say "The Kathy Rain" detective series? I've included a few screenies below as an example, in the event you were not familiar with the game.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who is very into vampire lore :)

Yes it is very much in the style of games like that. I'm taking direct inspiration from games like Gabriel Knight and Kings Quest but with better cut scenes and branching dialogue more akin to a visual novel.
Right now I'm finishing some environments and have been retweaking the graphics style of the game, hence why I haven't posted any updated screenshots yet.

Penumbral Evanescence

Donor
Jul 16, 2021
I'm glad I'm not the only one who is very into vampire lore :)

Yes it is very much in the style of games like that. I'm taking direct inspiration from games like Gabriel Knight and Kings Quest but with better cut scenes and branching dialogue more akin to a visual novel.
Right now I'm finishing some environments and have been retweaking the graphics style of the game, hence why I haven't posted any updated screenshots yet.
Happy to see another vampire lore enthusiast myself :)

Oh, and I see, that is quite interesting actually. Thanks for keeping us all in the loop about the development progress thus far.

Branching dialogue options are always a neat treat to see in games. Offers a lot of replayability value as well in the long term, which is always a bonus :lepew:

Question: I know you might have already addressed this previously, (so, apologies for any redundancy here) but, would there be an option for the MC to encounter unique dialogue options when playing in their vampire mode? Just curious...

Apr 18, 2021
Happy to see another vampire lore enthusiast myself :)

Oh, and I see, that is quite interesting actually. Thanks for keeping us all in the loop about the development progress thus far.

Branching dialogue options are always a neat treat to see in games. Offers a lot of replayability value as well in the long term, which is always a bonus :lepew:

Question: I know you might have already addressed this previously, (so, apologies for any redundancy here) but, would there be an option for the MC to encounter unique dialogue options when playing in their vampire mode? Just curious...
I don't mind questions at all :) Most of the dialogue is linear and is part of the story. Since you start out the story as a normal person and become a vampire later there will definitely be changes in your conversations and relationships that are effected by vampirism. There is some dialogue that is repeatable, like talking to a clerk at a store in which case they may make a comment on your appearance. It isn't entirely avoidable but I try to minimize repeatable dialogue because I feel like that is bad game design. So for example if you ask someone about their family, then five seconds later want to ask them about their family again either the option is no longer available or they tell you that they already told you.

Penumbral Evanescence

Donor
Jul 16, 2021
but I try to minimize repeatable dialogue because I feel like that is bad game design. So for example if you ask someone about their family, then five seconds later want to ask them about their family again either the option is no longer available or they tell you that they already told you.
Thanks for your prompt reply FMP Dev! :) I honestly appreciate that option you've implemented within the game. It makes conversations much more fluid (i.e., retaining a degree of realism among conversations) and less mechanistic/repetitive in scope.

later there will definitely be changes in your conversations and relationships that are effected by vampirism
Oh, that'll be really cool to see. I mean, it certainly will help with world-building/character development since a lot of the other NPC's and key players will be reactive towards the MC's outward vampiric appearance. Needless to say, it's gonna lead to some interesting/quirky observations haha.

Penumbral Evanescence

Donor
Jul 16, 2021
Here is an example of the level design for the point and click adventure style perspective. The main character is animated in 3rd person, interacts with the worldspace, NPCs and collects items via games like Monkey Island or Kings Quest. Will post some live video of this in action in Unity soon :cool:

View attachment 1663490 View attachment 1663489
View attachment 1664870
I have to say the world spaces look incredibly detailed. And, just from the screenshots alone, I can really get a "homely" feeling from the environment itself. Nicely done! Can't wait to see more in terms of development ^ ^

P.S. Can't seem to shake of the feeling that Sal gives off a sort of Tom Hanks kind of vibe. Hmmm, I wonder? :unsure: xD

1645665573445.png

• Red Heart
Apr 18, 2021
I have to say the world spaces look incredibly detailed. And, just from the screenshots alone, I can really get a "homely" feeling from the environment itself. Nicely done! Can't wait to see more in terms of development ^ ^

P.S. Can't seem to shake of the feeling that Sal gives off a sort of Tom Hanks kind of vibe. Hmmm, I wonder? :unsure: xD

View attachment 1671111
Thank you! As for your theory, without giving too much away, let's just say you'll have to be careful of playing with the wrong arcade machines :cool:

Harem Trooper

Oct 4, 2017
Fatalmasterpiece what happend with the the post of your LIs in the preview ?
Seems like my own post got deleted too. Did something happend ?
Checked your insta and Twitter for some some new pictures.

2 of them I remember clearly.
One of them seems to got a beauty lift up. Nice :love:
And two had their models reworked

I like the changed, very nice.
Also the V-Day picture is fire. Wish it would be bigger so I could use it as a HD background(y)

• Red Heart
Apr 18, 2021
Fatalmasterpiece what happend with the the post of your LIs in the preview ?
Seems like my own post got deleted too. Did something happend ?
Checked your insta and Twitter for some some new pictures.

2 of them I remember clearly.
One of them seems to got a beauty lift up. Nice :love:
And two had their models reworked

I like the changed, very nice.
Also the V-Day picture is fire. Wish it would be bigger so I could use it as a HD background(y)
I reworked the art style to be more unique and avoid that uncanny valley problem with CG models. The LI character designs are much better now IMO :D

I've been spending a lot of time working on the demo, programing, building levels and scripting events the last few weeks, which is really boring but necessary so not a lot of new artwork to show at the moment... but here is a collage of a bunch of the characters' conversation avatars. These are the final designs, as I said I'm just working on programming now.
Btw, many of the LIs have different outfits/looks depending on the story or setting, for example Astrid looks more conservative at work.

Doll Group 01 copy.jpg

Last edited:

Harem Trooper

Oct 4, 2017
I reworked the art style to be more unique and avoid that uncanny valley problem with CG models. The LI character designs are much better now IMO :D

I've been spending a lot of time working on the demo, programing, building levels and scripting events the last few weeks, which is really boring but necessary so not a lot of new artwork to show at the moment... but here is a collage of a bunch of the characters' conversation avatars. These are the final designs, as I said I'm just working on programming now.
Btw, many of the LIs have different outfits/looks depending on the story or setting, for example Astrid looks more conservative at work.

View attachment 1744087
Damn bro, damn ! :love:
Girls looking hot and spicy. I like the cast already.
And I see we got new characters :oops:
Cant wait for the the first official release...or you know...if you want to share it like that I wouldnt say no.

simpsons-dog.gif