VN I Was a Teenage Vampire (Development Thread)

Apr 18, 2021
segacover2.jpg

Overview:
You are a teenager in the 1980s and school is almost out. Now may be your last chance to make plans, say goodbyes and set the stage for a summer you’ll never forget. That is, until strange disappearances start to happen around town with rumors of mysterious figures being seen at night. When one of your own friends is kidnapped, it turns out saving up to buy a car and asking girls on dates may be the least of your worries.

“I Was a Teenage Vampire” is a story focused, point and click adult visual novel homage to retro adventure, horror and teen sex-comedies of the late 80s and early 90s. The story follows the misadventures of a group of young adults in suburban America during their final days of high school just before summer vacation. Explore branching paths in the small town of Silver Lake while making friends (or enemies) whose development will be shaped by your choices.

Chapter 1, day 2 v0.0.4 now available:

Features:
- Focus on story and plot
- 1080p Graphics
- Nostalgic emphasis on 80s culture
- Full audio and soundtrack with over 3 hours of music
- Animated H-scenes
- Character arcs affected by player choices

Doll Group 01 copy.jpg

Game Details:

IWATV differs from many adult games in that it focuses on story, romance and relationships between characters. The storytelling takes a cinematic approach with attention to visuals and dialogue rather than RPG elements or grinding minigames. Progress in the plot will not require replaying the same conversation multiple times to earn points. Despite the name, the game borrows elements from horror films and culture of the 80s but is not a horror game or intended to be frightening.

Scope:

The initial demo release includes the first day of the story with development ongoing. The complete narrative outline currently has 3 parallel branching paths written, along with the main storyline, each with their own distinct endings, several avoidable “bad” endings and a “true” ending. Each ending will be dependent on choices you have made and won't simply be copies of one another featuring a girl with different colored hair. The magnitude of the game is finite with production planned for 4 chapters, each broken into updates for supporters.

bellecourtfamily.png

Screenshots:
Here are some screenshots from the current demo build. :)

IWATVSS0.0.2_3.jpg IWATVSS0.0.2_4.jpg IWATVSS0.0.2_10.jpg IWATVSS0.0.2_15.jpg IWATVSS0.0.2_17.jpg IWATVSS0.0.2_1.jpg IWATVSS0.0.2_2.jpg IWATVSS0.0.2_5.jpg

night of revenge happy heart panic taffy tales being a dik college kings summertime saga

Last edited:

Deleted member 3917737

Jul 12, 2021
Ohmygosh! Kitty! *squeaks* it looks shooo cute!! ^-^ I love the Art/Style/Design/The 80s and Retro but Bad endings? You mean like, getting a game over? or having the game end quickly because of it? I'm not a huge fan of those types of games.

Kinda sad that it only has a Male Protagonist :( I would of loved for it to offer an option between a Female/Male MC but alas, it is your game and vision so, I can't complain. I wonder if there is an actual game out there where I can play as a Female Vampire Protagonist... The one's I've came across only have Male Vampire MC's =.=

Hmm, When do we get to become a Vampire? is it from the start, in the middle or towards the end of the game?

Reactions: Fatalmasterpiece
Apr 18, 2021
Ohmygosh! Kitty! *squeaks* it looks shooo cute!! ^-^ I love the Art/Style/Design/The 80s and Retro but Bad endings? You mean like, getting a game over? or having the game end quickly because of it? I'm not a huge fan of those types of games.

Kinda sad that it only has a Male Protagonist :( I would of loved for it to offer an option between a Female/Male MC but alas, it is your game and vision so, I can't complain. I wonder if there is an actual game out there where I can play as a Female Vampire Protagonist... The one's I've came across only have Male Vampire MC's =.=

Hmm, When do we get to become a Vampire? is it from the start, in the middle or towards the end of the game?
Yes I had planned some bad endings like in "Choose Your Own Adventure" novels. You make a good point that not everyone would like this so I will have an option to turn them off for those who would prefer that :) I'll implement this when there are endings added to the game which won't be for a while.

As far as a female protagonist, I would really love to have that as an option. Unfortunately with this being my first game, it isn't possible to implement since it would double the work load for many portions. I want my next game to be a real time adventure and will plan to have some character creation choices such as gender, skin and hair color since I agree that makes a game much more enjoyable.

Currently becoming a vampire is planned for chapter 2 as chapter 1 is establishing the characters and setting. I'm using stories like "The Lost Boys" and "My Best Friend Is a Vampire" for inspiration in plot mapping.

Deleted member 3917737

Jul 12, 2021
Yes I had planned some bad endings like in "Choose Your Own Adventure" novels. You make a good point that not everyone would like this so I will have an option to turn them off for those who would prefer that :) I'll implement this when there are endings added to the game which won't be for a while.

As far as a female protagonist, I would really love to have that as an option. Unfortunately with this being my first game, it isn't possible to implement since it would double the work load for many portions. I want my next game to be a real time adventure and will plan to have some character creation choices such as gender, skin and hair color since I agree that makes a game much more enjoyable.

Currently becoming a vampire is planned for chapter 2 as chapter 1 is establishing the characters and setting. I'm using stories like "The Lost Boys" and "My Best Friend Is a Vampire" for inspiration in plot mapping.

Thank you for planning to add the option to turn them off! :) I would just like to play the game from start to finish without worrying a bunch about messing up/picking the wrong choice by mistake.

This is your first game? wow... well, from what I've seen, I know it's going to be a fantastically fun game :) good job with everything you've done so far. That animation in the GIF you posted looks very good too! I like smooth animations like that ^^ you're very talented. I can understand now why you can't add an option between a Female and Male MC. I wouldn't want you to have double the work load :/ Woah, your next game will have character creation? I'm sure your next game will be just as awesome as this one ^^

Ah! that makes sense. Chapter 1 to welcome the player into the world, to teach them & let them learn about it and the characters within it. Then boom! let the action begin ^,..,^ I wonder how the Vampire stuff will be. I am so excited for this! darn you! xD I want to play it now lol. I also can't wait to hear the music... I am too hyped for this >.<

• Red Heart
Apr 18, 2021
Thank you for planning to add the option to turn them off! :) I would just like to play the game from start to finish without worrying a bunch about messing up/picking the wrong choice by mistake.

This is your first game? wow... well, from what I've seen, I know it's going to be a fantastically fun game :) good job with everything you've done so far. That animation in the GIF you posted looks very good too! I like smooth animations like that ^^ you're very talented. I can understand now why you can't add an option between a Female and Male MC. I wouldn't want you to have double the work load :/ Woah, your next game will have character creation? I'm sure your next game will be just as awesome as this one ^^

Ah! that makes sense. Chapter 1 to welcome the player into the world, to teach them & let them learn about it and the characters within it. Then boom! let the action begin ^,..,^ I wonder how the Vampire stuff will be. I am so excited for this! darn you! xD I want to play it now lol. I also can't wait to hear the music... I am too hyped for this >.<
That's a good point about not having to worry about making a mistake. No one wants to feel stressed by a fun game.

Yes it is my first but I've been an artist for a long time. I want to have a lot of high quality animations and it's fun to put them together. Learning to code everything has been the hardest part.

Well lets just say it is hard enough for the MC to be a teenager let alone trying to figure out all this vampire stuff. There will be some other vampires and people who are not quite what they seem. There is a bit of a mystery element and it won't be clear right away who you can trust.
The music is all going to be 80s inspired and it has been very enjoyable putting together a soundtrack like this.

Deleted member 3917737

Jul 12, 2021
That's a good point about not having to worry about making a mistake. No one wants to feel stressed by a fun game.

Yes it is my first but I've been an artist for a long time. I want to have a lot of high quality animations and it's fun to put them together. Learning to code everything has been the hardest part.

Well lets just say it is hard enough for the MC to be a teenager let alone trying to figure out all this vampire stuff. There will be some other vampires and people who are not quite what they seem. There is a bit of a mystery element and it won't be clear right away who you can trust.
The music is all going to be 80s inspired and it has been very enjoyable putting together a soundtrack like this.

You hit the nail on the head there lol. Definitely don't want to be stressed out by a fun game.

Ah! that seems to be one of the main issues for some Devs, the coding. I'm sure it'll become easier the more you learn and get used to it. I'm sorry the coding is the hardest part for you :/ I don't want you dealing with anything hard/difficult. Well, your art is top notch in my book :3

Also, thank you for having some unique character models ^^ It makes me happy that I won't have to be staring at the same old ones I usually see lol. It's so tiring already seeing the same ones over and over for like, the millionth time =.= Speaking of, is this a POV game? or Third Person or a mixture of both? I wonder how our character will look like.

Is this us looking at our character from behind? His hair looks a bit, weird to me. I don't know. It's very shiny, Vaseliney, maybe a bit short from the back as well. I'm not bashing, just saying what my mind is thinking.

1386254_cafeteria01a.jpg

Apr 18, 2021
You hit the nail on the head there lol. Definitely don't want to be stressed out by a fun game.

Ah! that seems to be one of the main issues for some Devs, the coding. I'm sure it'll become easier the more you learn and get used to it. I'm sorry the coding is the hardest part for you :/ I don't want you dealing with anything hard/difficult. Well, your art is top notch in my book :3

Also, thank you for having some unique character models ^^ It makes me happy that I won't have to be staring at the same old ones I usually see lol. It's so tiring already seeing the same ones over and over for like, the millionth time =.= Speaking of, is this a POV game? or Third Person or a mixture of both? I wonder how our character will look like.

Is this us looking at our character from behind? His hair looks a bit, weird to me. I don't know. It's very shiny, Vaseliney, maybe a bit short from the back as well. I'm not bashing, just saying what my mind is thinking.

View attachment 1496304
The most difficult part with coding is if there is even 1 tiny keystroke that is wrong, nothing will work. At least with art getting it "right" is subjective. Thank you :)

I put a lot of time into making the character models and wanted each one to feel like a unique person. Yes, it is mostly first person but with some establishing shots in third person. There is a little bit of an ongoing joke that the MC never really shows his face :LOL:

That is a good call! It seems he forgot to wash his hair that day. I'm still fine tuning everything and fixing little details like this so any feedback helps a lot.
Here I made an adjustment and it does look better!

Last edited:

Deleted member 3917737

Jul 12, 2021
The most difficult part with coding is if there is even 1 tiny keystroke that is wrong, nothing will work. At least with art getting it "right" is subjective. Thank you :)

I put a lot of time into making the character models and wanted each one to feel like a unique person. Yes, it is mostly first person but with some establishing shots in third person. There is a little bit of an ongoing joke that the MC never really shows his face :LOL:

That is a good call! It seems he forgot to wash his hair that day. I'm still fine tuning everything and fixing little details like this so any feedback helps a lot.
Omg, if one keystroke is wrong, everything fails? holy bejesus, that sounds like a nightmare D: they should like, invent something that can let you know if something is wrong, to avoid this hell >.< kinda like a spell checker. It'll be the Code Checker! I copyright this! my idea! >.< lol

You're very welcome! You can totally tell that a lot of love, time and care went into the character models and everything else. It ish, perfection :3 They are definitely unique <3

Oh okay. I like First Person games. It really puts you into the characters shoes. Much easier to immersive yourself and feel like you are the one in the game. Instead of making you feel like, a ghost floating behind/around the MC or a god watching things unfold and such lol. LOL! I can imagine like, things covering the MC's face right when we're about to see it xD All we get is the back of his head or the side of it lol. Sounds like a funny idea to be honest.

Haha! he didn't care much for his appearance that day xP but omg! I love the adjustment! it is, Perfecto! You totally fixed it and it looks amazing :) Your artistic skills are just out of this world! I love, love, loooove iiiiit! What? I sang that last bit out loud, don't judge me! xD

• Red Heart

Harem Trooper

Oct 4, 2017
Im not familiar with "The Lost Boys" and "My Best Friend Is a Vampire" but I guess they are not similar to VtM right ?
I like that the MC is a male. And I like that the game is more focused on story then grinding throught repeatable dialogs.
Also some good planned content right from the beginning:
- Vanilla and romance (nice (y))
- pet play (now you got my attention :devilish:)
- ahegao (kimochi :love:)
- DDlg (yeah baby!:PogChamp:)
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

I got curious about the "Character arcs" and 3 (currently) parallel branching paths.
Are we talking like something "Companion" quests who will influence the paths in the end ?
And will be one of the path be a harem path ? Yeah, im a weakling. I cant chose, I wanna them all :cry:

Apr 18, 2021
Im not familiar with "The Lost Boys" and "My Best Friend Is a Vampire" but I guess they are not similar to VtM right ?
I like that the MC is a male. And I like that the game is more focused on story then grinding throught repeatable dialogs.
Also some good planned content right from the beginning:
- Vanilla and romance (nice (y))
- pet play (now you got my attention :devilish:)
- ahegao (kimochi :love:)
- DDlg (yeah baby!:PogChamp:)

I got curious about the "Character arcs" and 3 (currently) parallel branching paths.
Are we talking like something "Companion" quests who will influence the paths in the end ?
And will be one of the path be a harem path ? Yeah, im a weakling. I cant chose, I wanna them all :cry:
I love VtM and like to mix that lore with 'The Vampire Chronicles' as a basis for "how vampires work". There are some exceptions of course, such as vampire sexuality not being so (un)dead, as well as potential vampire mating and reproduction.

Yes, somewhere between "companion" quests and a "guild" quests where you could choose to ignore them and only do the main story but that would cut out 50% of the game. There will definitely be a more ubiquitous harem path and ending.

Harem Trooper

Oct 4, 2017
There will definitely be a more ubiquitous harem path and ending.

One thing what I learned from playing VtM is:
- Keep the pack together!
and
- There is always room for family :KEK:

that would cut out 50% of the game.
Nice. I like such games where the characters arnt there just for sex scene but also play a bigger role in the story.
Damn, cant wait to try this game out.

Apr 18, 2021
I have to give a thumbs up on aesthetic choice and sticking with it. Very 1980s, love the Sega game box and the feel of a throwback to teenage werewolf or like weird science.
Thank you! I'm putting a lot of effort into content from the 80s to make sure the game is immersive. Everything from technology to advertisement and styles. This is kind of a love letter to that time period.

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2021
I hope a demo comes out soon :( any idea of when we could expect one? if you had to take a guess. This will probably be my first new AVN of the new year :3
+1
Seeing it has soon been five months, we now need the demo;);)
I've been gone for a couple weeks during the holidays but am back to working on getting a demo ready :) I don't have a timeframe right now other than hopefully "soon" as I am making it a high priority.