Unity Horror in Hongdae [v02.2024] [David Balsamique]

4.20 star(s) 5 Votes

Mesmerizet

Mar 14, 2020
The latest update is throwing heuristics for Wactac Ransomware. Has it been checked with RE by mods before upload?

ronnyyellow

Nov 10, 2021
How can a game dev regress from a masterpiece like 'Behind the Dune' to this boring piece of art? Also, his willingness to take a financial hit from his subscribers dropping off instead of changing course is beyond comprehension for me. right now its a lose-lose situation for both sides, such a shame rly

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2018
How can a game dev regress from a masterpiece like 'Behind the Dune' to this boring piece of shit? Also, his willingness to take a financial hit from his subscribers dropping off instead of changing course is beyond comprehension for me. right now its a lose-lose situation for both sides, such a shame rly
About the financial aspect:
His low subscriber count has to do with the game he is currently making, yes, but also with being kicked off from Patreon. Far fewer people use Subscribestar. It's not as established yet, and the payment options suck (only credit cards, which I guess is ok in the US, but here in Europe not many people use those things.
Furthermore, HiH is a game that he can put on Steam and that will hopefully make him more money in the long run than only relying on subscribers. It's also a good way to reach a new audience. He can't put a Dune game on Steam, obviously, since he doesn't have a license from the owner of the IP.

Reactions: ronnyyellow

MercuryDev

Game Developer
Dec 7, 2020
About the financial aspect:
His low subscriber count has to do with the game he is currently making, yes, but also with being kicked off from Patreon. Far fewer people use Subscribestar. It's not as established yet, and the payment options suck (only credit cards, which I guess is ok in the US, but here in Europe not many people use those things.
Furthermore, HiH is a game that he can put on Steam and that will hopefully make him more money in the long run than only relying on subscribers. It's also a good way to reach a new audience. He can't put a Dune game on Steam, obviously, since he doesn't have a license from the owner of the IP.
I'm a huge BtD fan and I think that the game's art was the best this industry ever got. But this game is such a mess. 2 sex scenes after several years of development? A joke, if you ask me. The art has downgraded severely since BtD. And the weird AI underage stuff he's been posting lately, ugh... This guy just lost it at some point. Truly a great disappointment.

YeOldeWanker

Nov 16, 2022
(only credit cards, which I guess is ok in the US, but here in Europe not many people use those things.
I don't want to derail the thread, but that statement just baffles me. What are you on about? Card payments are extremely common in Europe too, in fact where i live it's far more used than any other form of payment.

ronnyyellow

Nov 10, 2021
I don't want to derail the thread, but that statement just baffles me. What are you on about? Card payments are extremely common in Europe too, in fact where i live it's far more used than any other form of payment.
im from europe(EU) and i can asure you credit cards are not a thing here (with norway beeing the only exeption i know of) i also dont know anyone using them. for me This would be a the biggest reason for not supportig a game a like.

Last edited:

YeOldeWanker

Nov 16, 2022
im from europe(EU) and i can asure you credit cards are not a thing here (with norway beeing the only exeption i know of) i also dont know anyone using them. for me This would be a the biggest reason for not supportig a game a like.
That’s completely insane to me. Maybe it’s because I live in Northern Europe, but everywhere I’ve been, other Nordics, Germany, UK, France, I’ve always been able to pay with a credit cards. Where are you guys from where you apparently walk around with stacks of bills in your wallets like it’s 07 :WaitWhat:. I’m completely baffled by this. I don’t think I’ve carried cash for over a decade by now.

MercuryDev

Game Developer
Dec 7, 2020
That’s completely insane to me. Maybe it’s because I live in Northern Europe, but everywhere I’ve been, other Nordics, Germany, UK, France, I’ve always been able to pay with a credit cards. Where are you guys from where you apparently walk around with stacks of bills in your wallets like it’s 07 :WaitWhat:. I’m completely baffled by this. I don’t think I’ve carried cash for over a decade by now.
May I suppose the confusion comes from credit cards being surprisingly popular in US to the point where some people don't even differ them from debit cards, whereas in Europe we mostly use the latter? Not sure how that correlates with SubscribeStar, though, I'm pretty sure they should accept both.

YeOldeWanker

Nov 16, 2022
May I suppose the confusion comes from credit cards being surprisingly popular in US to the point where some people don't even differ them from debit cards, whereas in Europe we mostly use the latter? Not sure how that correlates with SubscribeStar, though, I'm pretty sure they should accept both.
Perhaps, but as you say that shouldn’t really matter. To me the idea that card payments aren’t widely used here seems wild.

It makes sense in rural areas or places where digitization is lacking. However online shopping is fairly common and last time I checked the internet is a thing most places in the eu, and people have steam accounts etc right? How are they buying their games if the previous claims are to be believed? By shipping envelopes of euros to Gabe’s PO address :KEK:?

pepplez

Jun 7, 2020
Perhaps, but as you say that shouldn’t really matter. To me the idea that card payments aren’t widely used here seems wild.

It makes sense in rural areas or places where digitization is lacking. However online shopping is fairly common and last time I checked the internet is a thing most places in the eu, and people have steam accounts etc right? How are they buying their games if the previous claims are to be believed? By shipping envelopes of euros to Gabe’s PO address :KEK:?
You can buy wallet codes by a gas-station or even in a supermarket. see

TimeWalker

Jul 2, 2017
the thing with David is he starting to lose focus. back when Dune was his only project. he put his heart into the game, despite the reuse access and game mechanic. but he make sure that his update schedule per month and solid process. then after Dune success, he aimming to hit with multiple ideas and simply they couldn't make it work. instead of try to make it bearable, or at least reverse it to where it failed. he drop the whole project and through it to the bin. when people lost interest in certain project, he also stop working on it (understandable due to financial decision) but it too often and people start to question his motivate (due to many scammer using patreon, specially at that time Fallen doll, breeding season, etc...was abandoned and on hold and that cause a huge backflash. thing shouldn't be this bad, it only get worse since he announce stop working on Dune. which most of the supporters funding, so they left...this lead to later on troubles. it's not fair for forcing devs to work on single project, but also not fair for them when he kept bringing out flop ideas. the result is this mess... 3 years processing which only slightly faster than a snail.

Reactions: MercuryDev
Aug 24, 2020
The other reason this game is super slow in development is that, balsa is apparently still learning unity, while he was super proficient with Flash which allowed for better use of that engine and more stable updates. However, there is hope, whenever he does finish Hongdae, he has hinted at doing a whole new dune game using unity rather than flash in the future. But in the end this isn't a worthy side experiment as most of the scenes are just there purely for no reason, no build up like BtD even though they are not the super serious game, it still was just slapped in front of our faces just like that.

BlueTrace

Aug 29, 2019
How to end up at the hospital?
first when you met the driver in that house you do not attack him first, talk to him and he will attack you, then when the gang chase you, choose the wrong way, make your health goes zero, then you will wake up at hospital, now there is only 2 images

happyfeet12

Aug 6, 2022
I'm a huge BtD fan and I think that the game's art was the best this industry ever got. But this game is such a mess. 2 sex scenes after several years of development? A joke, if you ask me. The art has downgraded severely since BtD. And the weird AI underage stuff he's been posting lately, ugh... This guy just lost it at some point. Truly a great disappointment.
There are a multitude of scenes but it hasn't been updated to F95Zone

ultramanfan

Jun 17, 2017
There are a multitude of scenes but it hasn't been updated to F95Zone
Someone shared a recent update not too long ago. It's hyperbole. There ARE scenes in the game, definitely more than 2. But if we compare it to BtD, this game is pretty light on worthwhile scenes. Especially when the only character that deserves more content, the secretary, doesn't get them.

Is this Balsamique's only project? I guess he just doesn't have the same spark for the game as when he started. He could go far in the market if he were more transparent/constant.

4.20 star(s) 5 Votes