• To improve security, we will soon start forcing password resets for any account that uses a weak password on the next login. If you have a weak password or a defunct email, please update it now to prevent future disruption.

Hi guys need help with the new PC

Bahamut Zero

Engaged Member
Apr 27, 2017
Hello guys for some problems a few months ago , my old PC dosn't work anymore. So i decided to buy a new one. :cry:
So i need to understand if i build a good one or not. Also because i need to change me graphic card. So any advice is welcome

My new pc now is this:
Case if need Phantek Evolv shift X
Windows 10 Home
Rog Strik z390-i gaming
I5-9600k
Crucial ssd 1T
Corsair Vengeance rgb pro 3000Mhz - 2x8gb = 16gb
Corsair H100i pro rgb
Corsair SF600

From me old PC the only thing I managed to recover is:
Geforce GTX 750 ti (This is the only thing i need to change it right now) i where thinking to move on a 1050 ti or a better one, but i doubt a 1080 ti. It still costs too much) So some advice again is really well welcome.

Now the problem i have:
1) Here the first problem. I buy windows 10 home from amazon. The key work perfectly on me old PC. Now it gives me authentication problems on the new PC ? o_O Why? There is a procedure to be done to make it clear that I have changed my PC? If Yes, can someone help me with some advice?)
2) The second problem. Strangely as i said i install 2x8 =16 gb ram. But on PC i only see 8 gb? Again way? Both certainly work. Because they light up when the PC is on. So i just do not understand.
3) I update all the driver, but with the HDMI i still see grainy letters?

Thanks a lot for your help.

I'm Not Thea Lundgren!

AKA: TotesNotThea
Donor
Jun 21, 2017
Hello guys for some problems a few months ago , my old PC dosn't work anymore. So i decided to buy a new one. :cry:
So i need to understand if i build a good one or not. Also because i need to change me graphic card. So any advice is welcome

My new pc now is this:
Case if need Phantek Evolv shift X
Windows 10 Home
Rog Strik z390-i gaming
I5-9600k
Crucial ssd 1T
Corsair Vengeance rgb pro 3000Mhz - 2x8gb = 16gb
Corsair H100i pro rgb
Corsair SF600

From me old PC the only thing I managed to recover is:
Geforce GTX 750 ti (This is the only thing i need to change it right now) i where thinking to move on a 1050 ti or a better one, but i doubt a 1080 ti. It still costs too much) So some advice again is really well welcome.

Now the problem i have:
1) Here the first problem. I buy windows 10 home from amazon. The key work perfectly on me old PC. Now it gives me authentication problems on the new PC ? o_O Why? There is a procedure to be done to make it clear that I have changed my PC? If Yes, can someone help me with some advice?)
2) The second problem. Strangely as i said i install 2x8 =16 gb ram. But on PC i only see 8 gb? Again way? Both certainly work. Because they light up when the PC is on. So i just do not understand.
3) I update all the driver, but with the HDMI i still see grainy letters?

Thanks a lot for your help.
With Windows 10; did you sign in with a Microsoft account on your old PC?
If you did, it should just activate once you sign in with the same account.
If you didn't, you should be able to activate by calling the Microsoft Product Activation Helpline; it's mostly automated and will ask for your product key.

With the RAM; have you updated the BIOS on your new PC?
If yes, run CPUID to see what it identifies as.
If no, update the BIOS and try again, then go back to the previous step if it still doesn't work.

Reactions: Bahamut Zero

Bahamut Zero

Engaged Member
Apr 27, 2017
With Windows 10; did you sign in with a Microsoft account on your old PC?
If you did, it should just activate once you sign in with the same account.
If you didn't, you should be able to activate by calling the Microsoft Product Activation Helpline; it's mostly automated and will ask for your product key.

With the RAM; have you updated the BIOS on your new PC?
If yes, run CPUID to see what it identifies as.
If no, update the BIOS and try again, then go back to the previous step if it still doesn't work.

Yes i have sign in with microsoft. So after the new installation, i log in with me account. But Windows continue to tell me that me copy is active on another PC.
I also try to click on i have change hardwere. But nothing. I also go on my account and remove me old PC.
Do i need to wait 24 hours and try again? Perhaps they need to update they server?

For now i wait till tomorrow if nothing change. I call them directly. I think is the only thing i can do if nothing work. Really this thing is really stressful.
For the bios surelly not. I think i need to check it and see.
Thank you

Fliptoynk

Nov 9, 2018
Call the microsoft customer support to give you detailed instructions. Their hotline no. will be given when you click on "activate now" or something equivalent to that and choose activation via phone call.

As for your video card, forget gtx 1080's... even if you get one, I doubt you could get a stable frame rate at ultra settings with i5 so 1080's aren't worth it... Go for gtx 1660ti.

And don't trust used high-end gpus. You'll never know if they're abused for bitcoin mining until it dies on you in a couple of months.

muttdoggy

Dogerator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2016
Bahamut Zero You can only have 10 different hardware changes before your windows 10 key is invalid. I am aware of it since I'v evolved my system to get better and better. It counts the hard drive it's on plus the motherboard, cpu, and I think video cards, too. Power supply isn't counted OFC. Don't think ram is counted at all since people frequently swap it out or add more.

Bahamut Zero

Engaged Member
Apr 27, 2017
Bahamut Zero You can only have 10 different hardware changes before your windows 10 key is invalid. I am aware of it since I'v evolved my system to get better and better. It counts the hard drive it's on plus the motherboard, cpu, and I think video cards, too. Power supply isn't counted OFC. Don't think ram is counted at all since people frequently swap it out or add more.
Damn this thing really stress me.
I really hope that tomorrow all the thing go well. I just instal that damn windows 10 only one time and only on my old pc.
And i cant save anything from the old pc because it was a 10 year old pc. The only thing that was decent was the graphic card and the ssd that i use for instal windows on the old one. Also on amazon the site tell me that the key was Lifetime (i hope write well) It's a retail key

Bahamut Zero

Engaged Member
Apr 27, 2017
Lifetime huh? Except for product support(win xp?) and 10 major upgrades limit.... Riiiiight :poop:
As i say perhaps i write it wrong. I'm not a english native speaker. But in the way it was written, it meant that I could always install it on a new PC that was mine without problem.

Fliptoynk

Nov 9, 2018
All I'm saying is don't get your hopes up, especially with the word "lifetime warranty/support". They've just written "lifetime" to overprice us.

Bahamut Zero

Engaged Member
Apr 27, 2017
Ok i update the thread for say that in the end, i call microsoft assistence and they help me active the key on the new pc.
They manually remove me old pc and set the key on the new one.
So now windows 10 home is now active again :love: I feel much more relieved now :)

Now the only problem that remain is to understand why the pc continue to read only 1 ram istead of 2
I have 2x8 gb ram =16 gb. But the pc continue to see only 8
I see both glowing in the case. So they are active, at last i think. But in the bios and also with cpuz i see only one. Why?

All I'm saying is don't get your hopes up, especially with the word "lifetime warranty/support". They've just written "lifetime" to overprice us.
I understand who you wanna say. But thinking always negative is really stressful. Sometime we can also think positive :D
Anyway in the end windows now is active again.

I'm Not Thea Lundgren!

Donor
Jun 21, 2017
Ok i update the thread for say that in the end, i call microsoft assistence and they help me active the key on the new pc.
They manually remove me old pc and set the key on the new one.
So now windows 10 home is now active again :love: I feel much more relieved now :)

Now the only problem that remain is to understand why the pc continue to read only 1 ram istead of 2
I have 2x8 gb ram =16 gb. But the pc continue to see only 8
I see both glowing in the case. So they are active, at last i think. But in the bios and also with cpuz i see only one. Why?

I understand who you wanna say. But thinking always negative is really stressful. Sometime we can also think positive :D
Anyway in the end windows now is active again.
With your RAM, check that you have it seated in the correct slots for that channel; it shouldn't matter but some motherboards won't read the RAM properly if you split the channels.

Does CPUz say it's single channel or dual channel?

Bahamut Zero

Engaged Member
Apr 27, 2017
Definitely check the seating of the sticks.
If you only have two slots, swap them over.
If you have more than two slots, check the slots for colour coding or check the motherboard manual for the proper seating.
Not all RAM slots for dual-channel are next to each other.
My mother board is an itx so have just two slots. So perhaps i need to swap them. As soon as I can, I will try. Thanks. I will keep your informed hope the thing is just that.

I'm Not Thea Lundgren!

Donor
Jun 21, 2017
Under SPD on CPUz, how many slots does it say are filled?
If it says one slot filled, take out one stick and power up.
If it boots, swap the sticks, if it still boots; you might have a faulty motherboard.
If it doesn't boot with one stick but does with the other, your RAM is faulty.

Fliptoynk

Nov 9, 2018
I think your windows 10 is just a 32-bit OS. If it is, then there's the problem. 32-bit windows can only access RAM upto 4gb

Fliptoynk

Nov 9, 2018
Cpu-z will test your hw and gives you accurate info. I use it to detect android tablets with fake hardware specs. Windows 32-bit is limited to 4GB but let the op check it for himself about his OS

wurg

Modder
Apr 19, 2018
My mother board is an itx so have just two slots. So perhaps i need to swap them. As soon as I can, I will try. Thanks. I will keep your informed hope the thing is just that.
The best thing you could do to test your RAM is to pull one of the sticks out and try to boot your PC. Your PC will boot with only one stick. If it doesn't boot with that one stick, take that stick and put it in the other RAM slot and try to boot it again. If that works, Take that stick out of the computer and put the other one in and do the same thing. If both of the sticks boot the computer, there is nothing wrong with the RAM. If the computer won't boot with either of the sticks in the same slot, I would assume there is a defect in your MB for that RAM slot. You would have to send it back for a new one.

If one of the sticks won't boot the computer by itself, the RAM stick is bad. This happened to me when I built my computer earlier this year, new RAM kit and one of the sticks was bad. It's a process of elimination to determine if it is the RAM stick or the motherboard.

I would look at the task manager first to see the RAM capacity, it also tells you the total RAM slots and how many are being used, then go to third party software to do checks.

Also, regarding Windows 10, it is true that if there are too many hardware changes it freaks out, but it will also freak out if you try to transfer it to another computer. From what I remember the license for windows 10 is tied to the motherboard, meaning if the motherboard changes at any time it will say the license is not valid.

Last edited:

Bahamut Zero

Engaged Member
Apr 27, 2017
The best thing you could do to test your RAM is to pull one of the sticks out and try to boot your PC. Your PC will boot with only one stick. If it doesn't boot with that one stick, take that stick and put it in the other RAM slot and try to boot it again. If that works, Take that stick out of the computer and put the other one in and do the same thing. If both of the sticks boot the computer, there is nothing wrong with the RAM. If the computer won't boot with either of the sticks in the same slot, I would assume there is a defect in your MB for that RAM slot. You would have to send it back for a new one.

If one of the sticks won't boot the computer by itself, the RAM stick is bad. This happened to me when I built my computer earlier this year, new RAM kit and one of the sticks was bad. It's a process of elimination to determine if it is the RAM stick or the motherboard.

I would look at the task manager first to see the RAM capacity, it also tells you the total RAM slots and how many are being used, then go to third party software to do checks.

Also, regarding Windows 10, it is true that if there are too many hardware changes it freaks out, but it will also freak out if you try to transfer it to another computer. From what I remember the license for windows 10 is tied to the motherboard, meaning if the motherboard changes at any time it will say the license is not valid.
If i can i try this too.
But i think that both slot work. Because i have two ram with glowing effect. And bot light up when i start the PC.
If one of the two slots didn't work, I think the ram wouldn't light up or i am wrong?

Anyway as i say some hour ego, for me fortune i call microsoft assistence and they help me with the key. So me new pc have windows 10 active^^