Ren'Py Harem Cartel [DevThread]

TotalHarem

Harem Cartel
Game Developer
May 23, 2023
To everyone asking me questions, I'm really not good at noticing that stuff... But I'll eventually respond, I appreciate and see everyone who is commenting and liking posts.

do you do the character morphs yourself or you use premade characters? I am asking because I have tried to create a few character morphs with the free assets daz included with the gen9 release but , honestly they dont look that good. have you aquired morph assets for character customization or are you using the default that are included ? and if you bought somme, which would you suggest?
Firstly, I downloaded around 300+ morphs of the body + bought lots of figures, that also have their own morphs. I typically use some existing figure as a starting point, and then start manipulating mortphs until I get what I want. I would typically sketch out a style I'm looking for on paper, and then keep playing around until I can match it.

Obviously, there are limitations with assets, especially when it comes to hair, so you have to get creative with stuff. But also keep in mind that overtime I bought a lot of assets, since I don't have any background or interest in hardcore 3D-modelling.

If I'm honest, if you want nice-looking figures that you actually have rights to (clothing, eyes, hair, etc.) of G9, get ready to spend like $500 - $1000 to get all the essentials. However, due to how customizable everything is, you can repurpose assets into something that looks completely different.

Or you can download all assets for free and be able to have full creative freedom lol. TLDR, just playing around with morphs and get lots of base figures / faces - at least for me.

• Red Heart
Reactions: Beast Within

TotalHarem

Harem Cartel
Game Developer
May 23, 2023
Quick Update:

After ignoring my irl job for 3 weeks due to holidays, I finally caught up with my backlog after not sleeping for a while, yay.

Oh, and I will be publishing Harem Cartel v0.1 on F95Zone and Itch this Friday.

The first version wouldn't be as massive as I originally hoped, but I feel there are plenty of things for an early build for people to enjoy. And get a general sense of how sandbox and non-linear plot will progress with how you interact with the characters.

At least coding-wise I am very happy with how easy it is on the back end, but nobody cares about that xD

Anyways, a little worried/excited about it, let's see how the first one goes.

mia_1_08_Camera.png bar_convo_03_Camera.png

TotalHarem

Harem Cartel
Game Developer
May 23, 2023
I messed up by saying that I'd release on Friday, cause I'm already spending a second day to get it work on Android xD It's getting really close, but because of the sandbox mechanics and navigation, I had to redo some UI to make mobile experience less frustrating.

On the side note, I've always been interested how come so many people on this forum play adult games on phones, missing out on so much goodness!

One thing I realize that the release is definitely shorter than expected, but I feel like quality and story wise I'm onto something, we'll see.

TotalHarem

Harem Cartel
Game Developer
May 23, 2023
Oh, I forgot to update this thread. Anyway, the game is now posted on F95, you can find it here:

https://f95zone.to/threads/harem-cartel-v0-1-totalharem.188948/

The reviews pretty much make sense, nothing that I didn't expect, outside of some things that I messed up, like not adding hints about available locations.

Though, I am glad by the relatively positive reviews (though, they are slowly slipping downward), some of which are understandably not happy about a couple of things I messed up. Nothing that isn't deserved, which is good to see.

Also, here is the comment from itch that made me smile:

Ratings-reviews-for-Harem-Cartel-itch-io.png

Come on, 20 girls and 1 trap (with more girls coming).

A couple of people from Patreon also pointed out they aren't fully sold on the Trap things - so I will add an option to turn Trap into a girl or keep it as is.

No love for traps :( Funny story, one of the good buds of mine in high school became an actual trap, which is what initially got me interested in the whole ordeal. And no, the word is not offensive, the community is using it actively.

Anyways, will spend some time responding in my game thread now.

• Haha
Reactions: MelonGod and Lerd0

Uthuriel

Conversation Conqueror
Jan 26, 2021
Oh, I forgot to update this thread. Anyway, the game is now posted on F95, you can find it here:

The reviews pretty much make sense, nothing that I didn't expect, outside of some things that I messed up, like not adding hints about available locations.

Though, I am glad by the relatively positive reviews (though, they are slowly slipping downward), some of which are understandably not happy about a couple of things I messed up. Nothing that isn't deserved, which is good to see.

View attachment 3270261

A couple of people from Patreon also pointed out they aren't fully sold on the Trap things - so I will add an option to turn Trap into a girl or keep it as is.

No love for traps :( Funny story, one of the good buds of mine in high school became an actual trap, which is what initially got me interested in the whole ordeal. And no, the word is not offensive, the community is using it actively.

Two things...

First. Ignore that review.
It was obviously made by a moron.

Second.
Don't add too many girls. You already have way more than needed.
If you have too many you can never do them all justice.
Sometimes less is more.

Lerd0

Conversation Conqueror
Donor
Jul 29, 2017

View attachment 3270261

..add more traps......
bcd (1).gif

TotalHarem

Harem Cartel
Game Developer
May 23, 2023
Two things...

First. Ignore that review.
It was obviously made by a moron.

Second.
Don't add too many girls. You already have way more than needed.
If you have too many you can never do them all justice.
Sometimes less is more.
The advantage of anonymity (part of why I like adult game dev) - is that this stuff mostly makes you laugh. Like when someone texts you threats, but who cares, the identity is protected.

Yeah, but you still need more models for background stuff, unless you want to have some humanoid blobs like what a lot of games do. I have sets of banners, which is like 2D background characters, but they aren't that great looking... But what you see is the core cast, essentially.

One of the biggest fears of anyone drawing/developing Trap characters is an endless arguing if traps are gay, which is one of those philosophical discussions that are impossible to finish. Like discussing differences between existentialism or nihilism, or ice cream or frozen yogurt...

Though, I admit that I'm from a country where basically anything goes, so my views on that stuff are skewed pretty hard into the "whatever floats your boat" direction.

• Yay, new update!
Reactions: Lerd0

Beast Within

Nov 9, 2017
Yeah, but you still need more models for background stuff, unless you want to have some humanoid blobs like what a lot of games do. I have sets of banners, which is like 2D background characters, but they aren't that great looking... But what you see is the core cast, essentially.
it might be a good idea to start with few characters and later manage your workload and introduce more if you find the time. else you will propably burn out. it is important to have "you" time to clear your head. just food for thought.

also.

if traps are gay,
if they get dicked, then they are. its one thing to look feminine but be straight and another thing to look and act on it. there is nothing philosofical abou it.

btw, good luck with the game and put yourself and your health first!

TotalHarem

Harem Cartel
Game Developer
May 23, 2023
new onboard.png

Very detailed Public Update on my about Harem Cartel - v0.2:
Beware, it's a lot of text. And the girl above is one of the new main characters: a blind girl with inked eyes. I really wanted to have her as part of my story, but wasn't confident that I could pull it off. Whatever, she's in, I like her a lot.

I will be linking Public posts like this in the future, and sending excerpts of Private posts in Game and Dev Threads (tell me if you think it's spammy, I'm not sure). Thanks!

TotalHarem

Harem Cartel
Game Developer
May 23, 2023
I made a private dev update on Patreon, but still wanted to send out a summary and some images here (so that Patreon gets at least something exclusive while things are starting):

Process of how I create wireframes (aka black and white / info-focused representation of the final interface). It will be both the quest log and a character screen - all in one place. Obviously, the final thing will look much better - moving to the design stage:

New rendering style - been practicing how to do better lighting, especially evenings. This is a scene from the new intro. Sort of a noir/detective take.

Progress looks good - I'm excited.

wiseold6996

Sep 22, 2020

View attachment 3270261

Good A option to turn trap to a girl

TotalHarem

Harem Cartel
Game Developer
May 23, 2023
Hey y'all! I kinda disappeared from the forums, because I am being overworked like a horse.

Not BoJack Horse who pretends to be overworked while wasting away his years in his huge house on the hills, but his father, who has been grinding at the sugar company his whole life. The system dreams of eternal darkness, hasn't it?

Stuff is still actively updated on , feel free to follow it, I try to make public posts to make some content accessible to all. I am ramping up the content stuff.

Anyways.

I am planning to release v0.2 this Sunday.

Hopefully.
Maybe.
I am doing my best.

A lot of features and content are being added, ya can learn more if you check weekly updates. I'd post them here but it takes ages to copy-paste stuff and images into forums.

For the cool stuff, there is currently a vote on the new Game Cover going on!
Vote here:

So yeah, that's me.

Below are a bunch of images from the new version. Lots and lots of stuff is currently in the rendering pipeline. [some are not post-processed yet, ignore any issues]

There is a lot more, but a lot of them are raw/unedited.

And I am leaving all new NSFW scenes for the last 2 days before release to finalize.

Sorry for disappearing. On the positive side, Patreon has been growing, I am slightly less broke now :Kappa:

Woooo!

TotalHarem

Harem Cartel
Game Developer
May 23, 2023
Preparing for the next build! Which will probably not be published today but in a couple of days, cause I still have 80 renders ongoing x_x I set the sampling too high...

Some cool stuff! I've gotten a lot better at creating adult content and animations. Judge for yourselves!

hotel_elevator_blowjob_1.gif
strip_keiko_horco_1.gif

It does take a while to make it tho... And render...

Anyways, I'm having fun, whether it takes longer or not.

The new build should be much better, but who knows, maybe it's worse. We'll see.

TotalHarem

Harem Cartel
Game Developer
May 23, 2023
I completely messed up the deadline BUT the game is now done. There's a shitload of new content. I will be testing it for the whole day. The new build will be posted tomorrow morning to the forums.

Woo!

Also, this is the final banner!

Harem Cartel 0.2 Banner.png

Guys, making an adult game... is very hard. Stuff takes longer than I thought.

Nevertheless, I think the quality is pretty good! Excited to post!

Reactions: Beast Within