RPGM - Abandoned - Goat of Blood [v0.14a] [Y's Contracted Chaos]

1. 4.00 star(s)

CEDA

Challenging, requires you to be tactical and explorative. Sex is text but that's okay since it has necrophilia and thats always good. Don't be put off by the lack of 30 min exposition being thrown into the middle of a mess sometimes chaos is fun and the unknown should be left as that.
  2. 1.00 star(s)

dragonteeth

The game is extremely grindy and poorly balanced. I like a game with challenge, but there is fair kind of challenging and then there is bullshit kind of challenging. which this game is. The game is heavily RNG, sometimes enemies keep missing you, sometime you encounter 1 wolf, then there are time they only critical hit or you encounter 4 wolves. Just don't get poisoned by snakes, cause you're fucked, the poison lasts for a long time, even if you are out of combat and you don't have anything to counter it and remove it in the beginning. Overall needs lots and lots of balancing.

I might change my review if the game gets more updates.
  3. 2.00 star(s)

Alleyway

Goat of Blood shows massive amounts of promise, and what is available currently is pretty great. It's too early to do a proper pros and cons list, so for now I'll just mention some things I loved and what could use some work.

For RPGM, the environments look awesome. The forest you wander through is layered in mist and is fun to traverse. There's not much in the town yet, but it evokes much the same feeling of dark dread and horror as the forest. Most of the enemies also look great (the 'villager' enemy could use some work, but again, this is a VERY early build).

The tone of the game is pitch black. Every fight feels like a genuine struggle, and you get the impression this isn't a world that breeds success or happy people, but embittered survivors and cold, callous antiheroes, who would sooner toss you to the wolves than stick their neck out for you.

I only managed to find one sex scene, but it was written well and I'm excited to see what other bits of horror are planned for future updates. But where the game really shines is in the combat. While there's currently no music to speak of, there's a enough complexity to the battle system to keep you immersed despite that. The hero has skills that can be used once enough points have been accrued via attacking and being attacked, and each is useful in certain scenarios. Snakes deal poison and strike multiple times, but can be readily handled early with a Riposte. Werewolves and beasts have high HP, but mixing Riposte with Blade In The Gut can quickly whittle that down. Every enemy type requires different handling, and that handling changes again when there are more of them.

I'm not a big fan of not knowing what to do next, but the game encourages exploration, and I understand that. A quest book and clearer goals would be appreciated, along with more to do. I genuinely want to spend hours in this world. Lorebooks, more characters, more quests.

There's not much here yet, but what is here, I love very much. I'm really looking forward to the next update.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

UPDATE: Unfinished and Abandoned. Review was previously 5-Stars. Leaving the written part as it was, but it's unfair to people browsing to give false hope. The combat system and gameplay loop really was wonderful. As it stands, this is something that could've been awesome. I hope the dev finds a game that hits the mark of success for him one day.
  4. 1.00 star(s)

Melkhiordarkblade

Very poorly balanced, no place to rest or recover, fights have an insane MISS chance, so pray for RNG to be in your favour. Limited recovery items, this game needs a real rework. Secondary character appears without any warning or introduction.