Tool Others Game Manager 2.17.12.7

4.00 star(s) 5 Votes

CuddleBear

Jun 9, 2017
Its not hard to make your own either. even if you don't know anything about commandlines or code. You can easily google your way to make a bat file that copies everything into another folder and add that to the windows scheduler for automation. That would be the lightest and least bloated option, But ofc that doesnt have neat handling of versions and shit.

tid

Aug 16, 2017
Hello all, I'm back from holiday and a long hard week of work.

here is a new alpha update to test clients to update GL server after parsing F95 News.

You can backup the tid directory without the screens folders, they will be downloaded again later.

CuddleBear

Jun 9, 2017
Had someone that corrupted their database join the Discord server.
Also noted that the official database download is 13+ months old now and was updated in January 2021.

Know he prob needs to just restore from backup if he has one. If not he is prob screwed but ehh.

CuddleBear

Jun 9, 2017
all the games is in the latest updates game list correct? why don't we just pull all the thread id's or urls fro all the pages and compare it to the GL database?

n0-floW

Dec 3, 2017
all the games is in the latest updates game list correct? why don't we just pull all the thread id's or urls fro all the pages and compare it to the GL database?
If I remember correctly, there were some reports of games not appearing in latest updates but existing in correct forum section. This was however probably only because there were problems with latest updates v4 alpha and were hopefully resolved.

lonewulf75

Mar 24, 2022
this app you all are working on sounds great and probably the closest thing we'll have to a F95 App to date...any chances on it moving into covering androids as well in distant future? =) just curious

tid

Aug 16, 2017
this app you all are working on sounds great and probably the closest thing we'll have to a F95 App to date...any chances on it moving into covering androids as well in distant future? =) just curious
Not sure it's worth the pain, as one of the main purposes of the app is to allow you to launch games without having to browse to the game's folder. As a lot of games are windows only, this feature would be useless.

lonewulf75

Mar 24, 2022
Not sure it's worth the pain, as one of the main purposes of the app is to allow you to launch games without having to browse to the game's folder. As a lot of games are windows only, this feature would be useless.
very true im not denying that fact. =) but alot of those same games are also on the andriod platform and it would be a great way for mobile users to keep in-touch more often with the F95 community as a whole as well =) but as i say im not trying to push for anything soon just maybe adding some possibilities for the future..... hehe after all the future isnt written yet ;)

CuddleBear

Jun 9, 2017
Well if you are just trying to keep in touch with F95, then using RSS feed apps will prob be more than enough for you if you just want update notifications on the things you like.

CuddleBear

Jun 9, 2017
Metadata scrape died again!

Also seen a HUGE infuse of updates on GL that not happened on F95. updates on titles that has not seen changed in months.
Also sometimes they are also removing the version number on the Client.

tid

Aug 16, 2017
Up again, for older games having updates it should be because now I check games when you open their page in GL.

So if I have missed a version, it is updated.

I will work on tags updates, because sometimes I create a game before tags are added, I have to update them even if the version is still the same.

Reactions: killa95

cooperdk

Engaged Member
Jul 23, 2017
tid

I suggest you build a much needed feature into this project and a nice to have.

Feature: Shared libraries/runtimes
Function: For all Ren'Py games of a certain runtime version, combine the library/python paths and do a symlink from each game and to the shared path.
Prerequisites: Requires knowledge about the Ren'Py version of each game
Reason: Try installing 30 Ren'Py games. You will have somewhere between 2 and 5 GB of almost identical libs/python executables.
By enabling this feature, those 2-5 GB will be shaved down to ONE shared managed runtime of 80-200 MB. Any libs not already in the lib folder will be synchronized with the shared folder.
Remark: Each python runtime that is use by a game needs to be shared and represented individually because RPY is not backwards compatible.

Feature: Shared game save folder
Function: To centralize savegames
Reason: Ease of management, ease of backing up/cloud syncing. A premium version could offer offsite sync served by your project. This is not limited to ren'py saves and might need some work to function properly.

CuddleBear

Jun 9, 2017
Well shared libraries and runtimes can easily be done today on your side with a GOOD file system like ZFS or others.
The issue is, Windows is crap and their non-server OS does not do this with NTFS KEK.

Build yourself a server and have it block dedupe for you :)

But in reality, all of those files with renpy is all python text files which compress really well. Just turning on NTFS compression on your folders or drive will save you a ton of space aswell.
In reality, doing a virtual file system for this is fully possible by comparing hash values and hard linking back. But all of this just adds to the complexity of it all and dependency aswell.

Lurkin23

May 15, 2021
As helpful as it should be... there are parts that are frustrating.

If the installed version isn't the latest up to date version, you have to enter the info in this itty bitty tiny microscopic box before you force the program to recognize it's installed. When I figured that s*** now it thinks there are 2 versions installed. So I copy the directory, put it in a safe spot, then tell it to delete both versions. Well, I try. If gives me a box that I can barely the see the tops of some words and a Delete button. Spoiler: In spite of the warning, it didn't so s***. So I tell it to delete the entry. Again all I get is a box with Delete, and some words I can barely see the tops of. 'This action cannot be undone.' I'm just saying I don't have this program on my HD anymore, right? RIGHT!?

Aparrently not. Aparrently you're telling the Game Manager it does not exist on F95, and I never want to see it ever again, even when I update the game list. Well Thanks, it would have been nice If all of the writing wasn't misaligned so I could actually read what it said.

So, 1 permenantly borked game when all I tried to do was tell GL that I did not have the most recent version installed. Back to the old fashioned way for that game. Luckily it wasn't one of my favorites, and on the back burner.

I imagine once I get past the setup, and the learning curve, it'll be an amazing utility/tool. Some streamlining, better names for some buttons (localize makes me think you're searching for an English patch, not hey GL, the game is here!) 'Locate Game Folder' on the other hand... and fixing the warnings so that the words show up properly in the boxes.

CuddleBear

Jun 9, 2017
if your UI is so tiny you cant see it then you must have some weird window scaling or run 4k on a 24inch screen... geez.
all windows and UI elements is perfectly fine at 4K 100%

As for some growing pains if you have no experience with anything similar. i can see that being issues.
Just set your install directory and install scheme and just click install and select zip or exe and it moves and takes care of the rest. ofc you need to make sure you install the correct version when you enter the value, its only pre applied with the latest release from F95.

There is only a handful of pitfalls in the client, namely you cant delete old versions with html games as those want to be in the same folder between versions or you loose saves.

Otherwise i cant say the client has much of a learning curve at all. Though it could run better that is for certain. Take your time with it. And if you just want to shoot quick questions, throw them out on the discord and can get back to you or others.

Lurkin23

May 15, 2021
if your UI is so tiny you cant see it then you must have some weird window scaling or run 4k on a 24inch screen... geez.
all windows and UI elements is perfectly fine at 4K 100%

As for some growing pains if you have no experience with anything similar. i can see that being issues.
Just set your install directory and install scheme and just click install and select zip or exe and it moves and takes care of the rest. ofc you need to make sure you install the correct version when you enter the value, its only pre applied with the latest release from F95.

There is only a handful of pitfalls in the client, namely you cant delete old versions with html games as those want to be in the same folder between versions or you loose saves.

Otherwise i cant say the client has much of a learning curve at all. Though it could run better that is for certain. Take your time with it. And if you just want to shoot quick questions, throw them out on the discord and can get back to you or others.
1920 x 1080 on a 17" laptop

Yup, everything just lines up perfectly. I'm just blind and stupid.

But thanks for telling me that about HTML games. That's why that wouldn't work, but it would have been nice for it to say it instead of having a user get frustrated because something wouldn't operate the way it implies it would.

Yeah, between tiny buttons, tool tips that only show up 1/2 of the time (or 1/2 of the buttons), requiring you to enter the version info before you find the folder with the version info (ie ass backwards, imo)... I'm getting it.

Reason: constantly flipping between directory and program. 368 items and I'm only up to the C's

Last edited:

CuddleBear

Jun 9, 2017
Too be fair, only the delete window is broken like that.
Just have one explorer window open and the client open side by side and drag and drop the exe onto the install window and you are good to go really.

4.00 star(s) 5 Votes