• To improve security, we will soon start forcing password resets for any account that uses a weak password on the next login. If you have a weak password or a defunct email, please update it now to prevent future disruption.

Tool Others F95Checker [WillyJL]

5.00 star(s) 21 Votes

abada25

Sep 30, 2019
Hmm, background mode feels a bit useless to me. I mean, game updates are not something that i want to see asap. I can just run it daily if i want to and it should be more than enough

WillyJL

Respected User
Mar 7, 2019
Hmm, background mode feels a bit useless to me. I mean, game updates are not something that i want to see asap. I can just run it daily if i want to and it should be more than enough
that might be somewhat true for games, even though I personally like getting a heads up as soon as its out, but the useful part here is the alert checker in my opinion.. this way alerts get checked every 15 minutes (or whatever you set as an interval) and you dont have to check manually, you simply get a notification right on your desktop

WillyJL

Respected User
Mar 7, 2019
Weird can't open and links anymore, if I do then this just pops up :WaitWhat:
View attachment 810522
that is *very* strange... i never even got that error message in the 2 hours struggling with the open commands... i have an idea that you can try though... i'll attach a file with a different method in a few minutes

WillyJL

Respected User
Mar 7, 2019
Weird can't open and links anymore, if I do then this just pops up :WaitWhat:
can you please try and see if it still happens with this program? it's normal for it to also open a console, i did that so you can send me the error description if it still doesn't work

Dec 11, 2019
i am puzzled... i have no idea for what might be causing this... does this happen also with other browsers and does it happen after toggling the open saved html option?
Yup it happens with chrome too, and it still shows the error even when open saved html option is toggled off.

WillyJL

Respected User
Mar 7, 2019
Yup it happens with chrome too, and it still shows the error even when open saved html option is toggled off.
can you try running the command sfc /scannow in an admin command prompt please? (if you don't know how to open a command prompt you search "cmd" in your start menu and then right click on it and click run as administrator) this will check your whole system for errors and broken files

WillyJL

Respected User
Mar 7, 2019
nope it didn't find any problems
View attachment 811594
ugh... im sorry but im running out of ideas... can you tell me the exact path to brave.exe? then i'll make the tool open directly the .exe and see if that gets us any closer to fixing the issue

EDIT: forget that. try doing this: btw i suggest you lower your volume before watching the video

Dec 11, 2019
ugh... im sorry but im running out of ideas... can you tell me the exact path to brave.exe? then i'll make the tool open directly the .exe and see if that gets us any closer to fixing the issue

EDIT: forget that. try doing this: btw i suggest you lower your volume before watching the video
The video you suggested didn't work as that's already turned off by default for me, also I might just reinstall windows to see if that will probably fix it.

WillyJL

Respected User
Mar 7, 2019
The video you suggested didn't work as that's already turned off by default for me, also I might just reinstall windows to see if that will probably fix it.
woah woah woah youre saying that youre willing to reinstall windows just to get a small tool like this working? because if thats the case props to you man! id never have the patience to do that! anyway another thing: do you have any antivirus software installed?

Dec 11, 2019
woah woah woah youre saying that youre willing to reinstall windows just to get a small tool like this working? because if thats the case props to you man! id never have the patience to do that! anyway another thing: do you have any antivirus software installed?
Nope just only have the default windows defender

unroot

Aug 14, 2019
A beautiful tool you've mede here, WillyJL

Just tried to make this usable for Linux and found a few things I have to mention:
(my comments) [lines to change]
  1. a hardcoded path is not good, for easier customization you should read them as variables (mine says now Temp/f95checker... as I prefer to use relative paths and to keep things in one folder) [Lines 20, 730, 736, 738]
  2. tkinter's iconbitmap doesn't support .ico's under Linux (but those two can be commented out without losing a function) [Lines 64, 1096]
  3. using the .lnk's as browser-path is just wrong as people like me (as I used Windows) sort their start menu and then the .lnk isn't there anymore (Linux can invoke Firefox from everywhere, so i just removed the leading path) [Lines 741, 743, 746, 748, 751, 753, 756, 758, 761, 763, 766, 768]
  4. the dot for the password-field is not an ASCII-character so i replaced it with a * (seems Python on Linux has stricter rules as the error hinted an encoding could/should be declared) [Line 84]
  5. my list of games can't be scrolled with the mousewheel, only with the bar (unsure if this is a python-linux-issue)
  6. as I add more titles (or URLs as I did), it takes longer and longer before it is added and the input is cleared after pressing Add. (Was not the CPU or RAM, they had normal values according to 'top -i')
  7. Please add in the first post Python 3.7 or higher is needed as your coding uses a few things that throws errors on lower versions
So it can work just fine under Linux with minor modifications (I use Devuan, so at least the Debian-based distros should work)
I have only tested the F95Checker.pyw, and did not even look at the background.pyw, as I have no interrest to have another service running all the time
Have to say I'm better at reading code then writing it, but making this nice tool working was almost too easy (still expect it to throw errors or worse)
And sorry for the mix of instructions and my thoughts, I confuse sometimes even stones with my way of thinking

Greetings,
UnRooted

P.S.: Just found another Issue with mine. The List Only shows till the checkbox and hides the rest of the lines. and changing the window size makes it even worse (so it only shows the version on the right and the checkbox is hidden behind the left side of the window) As I see you use rows and columns for the list, i would think a empty column with the width of the right panel could help (might be another linux-thing)
btw: python is v3.8.0 and tkinter is 8.6,, remaining was inatalled as the batchgile would suggest (on multiple lines ^^)

Last edited:
Reactions: WillyJL

WillyJL

Respected User
Mar 7, 2019
A beautiful tool you've mede here, @WillyJL
thanks!
a hardcoded path is not good, for easier customization you should read them as variables (mine says now Temp/f95checker... as I prefer to use relative paths and to keep things in one folder) [Lines 20, 730, 736, 738]
yeah I will swap them for a variable like I did with the login and search urls. the reason I had to hardcode it to the Windows temp folder in the first place (originally it was in the program folder) is that there was an issue with opening saved html from a folder with spaces in the path, and I tried everything with quotes, double quotes, escaping them and nothing would work so my last resort was the windows temp folder...
tkinter's iconbitmap doesn't support .ico's under Linux (but those two can be commented out without losing a function) [Lines 64, 1096]
will swap for pngs
using the .lnk's as browser-path is just wrong as people like me (as I used Windows) sort their start menu and then the .lnk isn't there anymore (Linux can invoke Firefox from everywhere, so i just removed the leading path) [Lines 741, 743, 746, 748, 751, 753, 756, 758, 761, 763, 766, 768]
yeah.. i knew this was gonna come around at some point... i just didn't have any idea of how to properly launch a browser on windows since they are not in the PATH variable... if you have any idea on how to properly open a browser on windows please let me know, it might also solve the issue with the spaces in the path for saved html files
the dot for the password-field is not an ASCII-character so i replaced it with a * (seems Python on Linux has stricter rules as the error hinted an encoding could/should be declared) [Line 84]
will swap for *
my list of games can't be scrolled with the mousewheel, only with the bar (unsure if this is a python-linux-issue)
that's strange, but understandable... i'll install a vm and look into this
as I add more titles (or URLs as I did), it takes longer and longer before it is added and the input is cleared after pressing Add. (Was not the CPU or RAM, they had normal values according to 'top -i')
i think i kinda know the problem here... can you tell me if it still happens when you tick all the installed checkboxes before adding another one?
Please add in the first post Python 3.7 or higher is needed as your coding uses a few things that throws errors on lower versions
will do
And sorry for the mix of instructions and my thoughts, I confuse sometimes even stones with my way of thinking
no problem, I always do the same myself :D
P.S.: Just found another Issue with mine. The List Only shows till the checkbox and hides the rest of the lines. and changing the window size makes it even worse (so it only shows the version on the right and the checkbox is hidden behind the left side of the window) As I see you use rows and columns for the list, i would think a empty column with the width of the right panel could help (might be another linux-thing)
i'll try that, but to be honest i'm not that surprised that some alignments are off... tkinter's alignments are horrible to work with (understandable as it's 30+ years old now)

Thanks for giving it a shot on Linux and for the pointers, i'm not that much of a good coder, i'm still starting out

• Wow
Reactions: unroot

unroot

Aug 14, 2019
yeah.. i knew this was gonna come around at some point... i just didn't have any idea of how to properly launch a browser on windows since they are not in the PATH variable... if you have any idea on how to properly open a browser on windows please let me know, it might also solve the issue with the spaces in the path for saved html files
Code:
rundll32 url.dll,FileProtocolHandler „http://www.google.de“
rundll32 url.dll,FileProtocolHandler „file://c:/help.html“
start „“ „http://www.google.de“
start „“ „file://c:/help.html“
One of those should work, but i'm not sure about the quotes from start. the bad thing: they don't do relative paths so calling from temp might work best (in batch i would say read the path to the user-folder and use their own %TEMP% but i don't know how to read a system variable from python as i started to poke the python(code ;)) after i switched to linux)

i think i kinda know the problem here... can you tell me if it still happens when you tick all the installed checkboxes before adding another one?
That one seems to be solved now somehow... added 8 random new games and a 9th one around 20 times (too lazy to get new links ^^) and nothing lags anymore... the ticking seems to have no effect (ticked all on and off and then randomly)

i'll try that, but to be honest i'm not that surprised that some alignments are off... tkinter's alignments are horrible to work with (understandable as it's 30+ years old now)
It seems to be related to the scaling of the columns as most of the time it shows the checkboxeson the right but in fullscreen (1440x900) it shows only "Da" from the Version of Ecchi Sensei (should be right now: "Day 20+21 Final") so i think the are scaled up till they are under the right panel. same scaling isn't happening with the first column that has the remove buttons.
well, i couldn't figure it out better as i never got my brain to understand tkinter. i write most of my stuff for terminal and pray it works.
I didn't know tkinter is about the same age as me... wow, now i'm feeling old

Thanks for giving it a shot on Linux and for the pointers, i'm not that much of a good coder, i'm still starting out
Well, you mentioned it could run under Linux so i had to try if i can it tweak enough to work... and it works (not completely right now but at least it check for new versions and shows the changelogs, so it has the main functions)

Reactions: WillyJL

WillyJL

Respected User
Mar 7, 2019
Code:
rundll32 url.dll,FileProtocolHandler „http://www.google.de“
rundll32 url.dll,FileProtocolHandler „file://c:/help.html“
start „“ „http://www.google.de“
start „“ „file://c:/help.html“
One of those should work, but i'm not sure about the quotes from start.
they all work, and as for the relative paths i can pass a modified sys.argv variable to get the python script directory location, so that's not an issue... thanks for finding this for me but at that point the browser selector is useless, as rundll32 uses the default browser... idk i'll think about this
That one seems to be solved now somehow... added 8 random new games and a 9th one around 20 times (too lazy to get new links ^^) and nothing lags anymore... the ticking seems to have no effect (ticked all on and off and then randomly)
why I mentioned the installed checkboxes is that when they are unchecked the changelog gets fetched so that's probably why it would hang, it was loading all the webpages for the changelogs... i'll probably either add an option to disable most of the changelog fetching (it always will fetch it after an update tho) or make it save the changelog to the config file and update it when there's an update
i write most of my stuff for terminal and pray it works.
same for me, was the same with this project up until 4.1 but i gave myself the challenge of making a gui and look where we are now xD

5.00 star(s) 21 Votes