greyelf

Nov 16, 2016
Developers should know enough about the language they're writing in...
While I agree that Developers should learn about the environment they are using, however "post load patching" of old Saves is an advance topic and depending on what exactly needs fixing in the old Save it isn't always possible.

goobdoob

Conversation Conqueror
Modder
Respected User
Dec 17, 2017
You can get that error while playing after loading an old Save that doesn't include information about a variable / switch / resource-reference that was added in a more recent version of the game.

eg. if you are running v0.10 of some game and a new variable named 'things' was added in v0.7 of that game, loading a Save file from v0.5 could cause that error because that Save doesn't contain information about the 'things' variable.
Developers should know enough about the language they're writing in, to account for adding a new variable. Unfortunately, this happens all too often with developers who are good story tellers, but only mediocre (or careless) programmers.
While I agree that Developers should learn about the environment they are using, however "post load patching" of old Saves is an advance topic and depending on what exactly needs fixing in the old Save it isn't always possible.
@Nickfifa
It's actually pretty easy with RenPy - use the "default" keyword. See here:

greyelf

Nov 16, 2016
It's actually pretty easy with RenPy - use the "default" keyword.
Even that Ren'py functionality doesn't cover all 'new variable' use-cases.

eg. what if the 'new variable' was injected into a Moment prior to that of the old Save, and if that variable's value was also updated based on choices made in Moments between the injection point and the Save's.

In that specific use-case the "post load patching" code would need to know how to calculate the current value of the variable for the saved moment.

Walter Victor

Forum Fanatic
Dec 27, 2017
Well, another nice release completed. So let's see...

Since Mina is now the mayor's secretary, does that mean we will see a scene with him (Russel) and Mina and Elena? I've always wanted to see something with him and Elena. (As long as Mia's not involved.) I wouldn't mind if they brought back Jason and his wife, Kimberley either!

Now, Elena and Mina will be spending the night in Brad's bed. :p Will we see more of that? OR... will David come home early? :oops: Catch them in flagrante delicto? Now THAT would be an interesting scene! :giggle:

Walter Victor

Forum Fanatic
Dec 27, 2017
Even that Ren'py functionality doesn't cover all 'new variable' use-cases.

eg. what if the 'new variable' was injected into a Moment prior to that of the old Save, and if that variable's value was also updated based on choices made in Moments between the injection point and the Save's.

In that specific use-case the "post load patching" code would need to know how to calculate the current value of the variable for the saved moment.
Yeah, adding a variable into an old release can be a bear. But I'm just talking about a new variable into a new release. Even that seems beyond some developers.

Walter Victor

Forum Fanatic
Dec 27, 2017
I dont like Ren'py. It's just a slide show.
I don't like not being able to save when I want to. I don't like having a limited number of saves. I don't like not being able to scroll back. I don't like not being able to fast forward. I don't like RPGM, basically.

I do like this game, however, and put up with RPGM because of that.

We all have our likes and dislikes, I guess.

blink66

Jun 20, 2017
You should check out Sakura Dungeon. Definitely not a slide show.
I don't like not being able to save when I want to. I don't like having a limited number of saves. I don't like not being able to scroll back. I don't like not being able to fast forward. I don't like RPGM, basically.

I do like this game, however, and put up with RPGM because of that.

We all have our likes and dislikes, I guess.
I understand the point. But i don't know, i mean, Ren'py just don't look's like a game for me. I like to see a quest and go to objective my self. Control the character.
We don't have the same freedom on Ren'py.

Reactions: JackBeNimble

Walter Victor

Forum Fanatic
Dec 27, 2017
I understand the point. But i don't know, i mean, Ren'py just don't look's like a game for me. I like to see a quest and go to objective my self. Control the character.
We don't have the same freedom on Ren'py.
Are you talking about the traveling aspect of RPGM games? I hope you realize that a hell of a lot of people actually hate that.

Anyways, if you play a sandbox game in Ren'Py (or with any other engine), you get the same freedom. Your problem may be with Virtual Novels. Have you tried Milfy City or Long Live the Princess or Being a DIK or Adventures of Willy D? Those games may or may not call their objectives 'quests', but they have them nonetheless.

blink66

Jun 20, 2017
Are you talking about the traveling aspect of RPGM games? I hope you realize that a hell of a lot of people actually hate that.

Anyways, if you play a sandbox game in Ren'Py (or with any other engine), you get the same freedom. Your problem may be with Virtual Novels. Have you tried Milfy City or Long Live the Princess or Being a DIK or Adventures of Willy D? Those games may or may not call their objectives 'quests', but they have them nonetheless.
Yeah i tried Milf City and Adventures of Willy D, but i dont like male protagonists. I liked Au-pair-innocence, but unfortunately has been discontinued. The games like Fashion Business, Eleanor etc are good; it's the mechanics in these games i don't like.

3.60 star(s) 36 Votes