Tool DRM Removal Tool

5.00 star(s) 1 Vote

Yandere Dev

Apr 17, 2020
It depends on the DRM they have. You might be able to find a tool that removes it.

If you have some technical skills, you can also try to remove it yourself but there is no one-size-fits-all solution.
The general process is:
1. Figure out how the DRM system works
2. Identify a weakness in the system
3. Create a tool that automatically exploit this weakness

For example, the tool in this thread is based around a DRM system that looks like this:
- Files are encrypted on-disk
- The game obtains a decryption key through some process
- When files are read, they are automatically decrypted and stored as plaintext within memory
- This encryption process is transparent to the actual game. ie. The game doesn't know the files are encrypted, it just reads data and the DRM layer performs the decryption automatically

In this case, the weakness was that:
1. The game-process is able to decrypt any file it wants to
2. The game-process could also load files that were NOT encrypted
3. When the game-process wrote data to disk, the data was not re-encrypted

So to exploit this weakness, the DRM-Removal tool hijacks the game-process and makes it read & write all files to create decrypted copies. Then other users can run the game directly using the decrypted files without needing a decryption key.

But that's just for this example. The process for removing DRM depends entirely on how the DRM system works. There is no generic solution.
Thanks for the help I found it useful

C-Time

Mar 20, 2023
Hi there!

I'm having trouble using the drmRemover on a game I got today, its a unity game with a startup and another .exe.
When I choose the exe I get the following error

drm-error.png

Also when I choose the startup it seems to work but the game doesn't close and seems to stay stuck in extracting (I tried waiting a while and nothing seems to happen)

error1.png

It's this posible to fix and extract the game with no DRM?

xj47

Nov 4, 2017
Probably not using this tool.
Unity games are usually written in C# which compiles to a different kind of file (It uses an intermediate-language / IM)

With Unity games you are better off looking for unity-specific tool.

C-Time

Mar 20, 2023
Probably not using this tool.
Unity games are usually written in C# which compiles to a different kind of file (It uses an intermediate-language / IM)

With Unity games you are better off looking for unity-specific tool.
I'm not very good with this DRM stuff so I was not sure which tools to use, in any case thanks for your answer!

5.00 star(s) 1 Vote