Tool DAZ Resources

WarpedGaming

Sep 4, 2022
The "Interactive License" mentioned on Daz's site is only necessary if you're actually going to embed the resource in the game and distribute it. (Basically, a game that does real-time 3D animation.) If all you're doing is embedding 2D images that you rendered with Daz Studio, then the Interactive License is not required - the vanilla Daz license allows you to do pretty much anything you want with renders generated from Studio.
I know I'm late to this thread but doesn't Daz check for updates to what you have purchased when you open up the program? If so, it seems to me that they can just check that you have purchased that product when the software is checking? I realize you could have bought from another site like Renderosity, Renderotica, etc and it wouldn't be able to do that but they would only care about the products on the Daz MarketPlace. That is if they are interested in protecting their PA's rights and all.

Just curious any thoughts on this?

WarpedGaming.

Rich

Old Fart
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 25, 2017
I know I'm late to this thread but doesn't Daz check for updates to what you have purchased when you open up the program? If so, it seems to me that they can just check that you have purchased that product when the software is checking?
WarpedGaming.
To the best of my knowledge, nobody has ever stated that they check with is installed locally on your computer. Not that they couldn't of course.

I realize you could have bought from another site like Renderosity, Renderotica, etc and it wouldn't be able to do that but they would only care about the products on the Daz MarketPlace. That is if they are interested in protecting their PA's rights and all.

Just curious any thoughts on this?
When the Daz Install Manager (DIM) installs a package, it writes a "Manifest File" into a directory on your computer. AFAIK, it is the contents of that directory that it uses to decide what is installed and what is not, and what might need updating. So, they never even see the Rendo content, since they don't go pawing around in your actual content directory. Oh, sure - if someone packages up Rendo content as a DIM-compatible installer, then it would be visible there, but also the product number wouldn't match anything on the Daz end. In addition, if you were to wipe out the manifest directory, then even if the did check, they wouldn't see it.

Of course, DIM also updates the metadata database (what Smart Content) uses, so in theory they could look there as well.

But since Daz has never (apparently) taken action against any of the sites that (pretty brazenly) share content, it's unlikely that they track your installs either.

Just my opinion, of course...