• To improve security, we will soon start forcing password resets for any account that uses a weak password on the next login. If you have a weak password or a defunct email, please update it now to prevent future disruption.

Creating new games or pitching concept

GQ1NYC

Jul 21, 2017
I'm new to these games having played for the past month about 10-15 of them.

I was wandering how do you get into creating your own or are there Devs looking for new concepts?

I have a whole concept and story line in my head but never coded before. Is it easy to do? what is a typical demo creation timeline?

Thanks,

TrropJunior

Game Developer
Jun 2, 2017
1. Rendering images
Rendering images isn't that difficult.There are a lot of great programs out there are relatively easy to use (heck, I figured them out.) One of them is poser. There is a huge downside to poser, it costs A LOT. That's why the main one people use is Daz. Daz is a brilliant program and most importantly, IT'S FREE!

There are tons of tutorials out there and once you get the basics, you can pretty much figure the rest out for yourself really easily. The only problem is rendering the images can take some time if you don't have a decent CPU. To significantly reduce them, turn OFF rendering quality (unless you have a good CPU) and you should be on your way to making a demo.

2. Getting products for your renders
There are lots of great sites out there that give you free stuff. The top one I would suggest is Renderosity.

One tip though, make sure that you're getting things that are compatible with the version you are using.

3. Coding your game
Possibly the easiest program to use is ren'py. That's what a lot of the big games are made with. It's really simple (although some things are extremely complex.) There are lots of tutorials out there for this too and the basics are easy enough to get to grips with.

If you decide to try and make a demo and get stuck on something, let me know and I'll try my best to help you.

BeCe

Purveyor of Blood and Boobs
Game Developer
Jul 26, 2017
As a fellow newbie to game making; I can tell you ren'py is really easy to use and has clear tutorials. But I am curious to see how Unity works.

GQ1NYC

Jul 21, 2017
1. Rendering images
Rendering images isn't that difficult.There are a lot of great programs out there are relatively easy to use (heck, I figured them out.) One of them is poser. There is a huge downside to poser, it costs A LOT. That's why the main one people use is Daz. Daz is a brilliant program and most importantly, IT'S FREE!

There are tons of tutorials out there and once you get the basics, you can pretty much figure the rest out for yourself really easily. The only problem is rendering the images can take some time if you don't have a decent CPU. To significantly reduce them, turn OFF rendering quality (unless you have a good CPU) and you should be on your way to making a demo.

2. Getting products for your renders
There are lots of great sites out there that give you free stuff. The top one I would suggest is Renderosity.

One tip though, make sure that you're getting things that are compatible with the version you are using.

3. Coding your game
Possibly the easiest program to use is ren'py. That's what a lot of the big games are made with. It's really simple (although some things are extremely complex.) There are lots of tutorials out there for this too and the basics are easy enough to get to grips with.

If you decide to try and make a demo and get stuck on something, let me know and I'll try my best to help you.
TJR,

This is some good stuff. Thanks for the info and insight. I have a decent laptop, Win10 with a Corei3 processor. Not sure if that is enough but I'll give it a shot. I'll give you a heads up if I get anything in the works.

Reactions: TrropJunior

GQ1NYC

Jul 21, 2017
As a fellow newbie to game making; I can tell you ren'py is really easy to use and has clear tutorials. But I am curious to see how Unity works.
Thanks. So how long does it take to set up one scene? I would guess that the time consuming part would be the dialog. I write sports articles during football season and man I could spend 10+ hours writing and researching.

BeCe

Purveyor of Blood and Boobs
Game Developer
Jul 26, 2017
Thanks. So how long does it take to set up one scene? I would guess that the time consuming part would be the dialog. I write sports articles during football season and man I could spend 10+ hours writing and researching.
For me the dialog was the quick part, there is a very easy format to follow. I've managed to write out a prologue relatively quickly and have mostly been messing around making the images/scenes since and that's the part I've found a steeper learning curve with

Reactions: GQ1NYC

Adoringfan

Engaged Member
Dec 17, 2016
@GQ1NYC If you are serious about doing your own project or if you just want to learn more, start here

TrropJunior

Game Developer
Jun 2, 2017
Just depends on how fast you can type really. All you're pretty much doing is putting in "" to start and end speech.

example
"Hello everyone"
- This doesn't show a name but just shows text on screen.

Peter "Hello Everyone"
- This will indicate that Peter is talking and the name will show up along with the text.

You can also shorten names so that you're not constantly writing peter. The code for that is:

$ P = "Peter"

After that you can start to do this:

P "Hello everyone"

That's pretty much ren'py but there are more complex stuff that takes time to understand.

Reactions: GQ1NYC

GQ1NYC

Jul 21, 2017
@GQ1NYC If you are serious about doing your own project or if you just want to learn more, start here
This is awesome. I'm going to see how it goes once I mess with it. I have the concept/plot now written down and the characters.

GQ1NYC

Jul 21, 2017
I'm looking to do something different than what seems to be a cliche. The dad/daughter/mom angle is over used as well as the peeping them in the shower. Now I'm enjoying them when I play these games don't get me wrong.

Reactions: Adoringfan

polywog

Forum Fanatic
May 19, 2017
I'm looking to do something different than what seems to be a cliche. The dad/daughter/mom angle is over used as well as the peeping them in the shower. Now I'm enjoying them when I play these games don't get me wrong.
I could watch a hundred showers, it never gets old. cliche is not common, cliche is unnecessary
we all (I could be wrong) take showers everyday. doing it over and over again in a game is unnecessary, unless it adds to the story somehow. first shower, she accidentally touched her naughty bits, and it tingled down there, slowly progressing over the following weeks to using a backscrubber to clean her colon, that's by no means cliche

GQ1NYC

Jul 21, 2017
I could watch a hundred showers, it never gets old. cliche is not common, cliche is unnecessary
we all (I could be wrong) take showers everyday. doing it over and over again in a game is unnecessary, unless it adds to the story somehow. first shower, she accidentally touched her naughty bits, and it tingled down there, slowly progressing over the following weeks to using a backscrubber to clean her colon, that's by no means cliche
LOL what I meant the whole sequence. The getting up and noticing the bathroom door open and peeking. just the way its done seems repetitive. But the actual seen is hot.

Corrupted

Jun 28, 2017
I don't get the thing with the "bathroom door open". In these parts, all the bathroom doors have key holes for this exact purpose, I believe.

Last edited:

89tasker

Jun 4, 2017
I don't get the thing with the "bathroom door open". In these parts, all the bathroom doors have key holes for this exact purpose, I believe.
I always wondered how this trope originated. No Lock has ever been made where you can see through it. (outside of medieval ruins)

Last edited:

89tasker

Jun 4, 2017
My bedroom door would like a word with you :)
Really?

What era, style, type was the home?
I tried looking it up on the internet and came up with zilch.

How did it work?
Where was the door nob?
How do you line up the key with the tumblers if it just goes through?
Did it actually lock or was it like a locker where you just have to turn an internal wheel? (no key notches).

polywog

Forum Fanatic
May 19, 2017
I always wondered how this trope originated. No Lock has ever been made where you can see through it. (outside of medieval ruins)
I grew up in a house built in the mid 1700s. Not only did it have skeleton key locks, it had secret passages, and lots of hiding places. The attic was huge, and some of the rooms in the house had weird ceilings that didn't go all the way to the walls. You could easily hear everything, and if you wanted to, you could look through the gap with a mirror or capt'n crunch periscope.
Keyholes like the pic below, were always open, unless someone left the key in the lock.
antique-door-skeleton-key-going-key-hole-25868471.jpg

Corrupted

Jun 28, 2017
Here (Central Europe) even modern indoor-doors typically have your basic profile key lock. If you take out the key, you can peep through the keyhole just fine. As the keys easily fly out of the keyhole when opening or closing the door with some force, they usually end up lost or in a corner. But you can buy a selection of replacement keys at the local equivalent of home depot (they're standardized) Doors that lead to the outdoors obviously have real locks that you can't look through and are quite a bit tougher to pick.

89tasker

Jun 4, 2017
Here (Central Europe) even modern indoor-doors typically have your basic profile key lock. If you take out the key, you can peep through the keyhole just fine. As the keys easily fly out of the keyhole when opening or closing the door with some force, they usually end up lost or in a corner. But you can buy a selection of replacement keys at the local equivalent of home depot (they're standardized) Doors that lead to the outdoors obviously have real locks that you can't look through and are quite a bit tougher to pick.
So this is a European phenomenon?

I figured these could be found in old houses (usually with names like "Wayne Manor"). Still would be rare to find in a modern built home, yet many games have a variation on looking through a keyhole.

Also, looks like they are the kind you use for foot lockers here in the states. No tumblers and anyone with a hair pin can pick it. Mostly decorative and pointless for security.

Reactions: Corrupted

muttdoggy

Dogerator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2016
Most interior doors in the usa have a tiny round hole that you could fit a thin metal rod into and push on it. It'll move a sliding pin that unlocks the door. Most people unravel paperclips and put it in there. It's covered by the pin that unlocks the door so you cannot see through it at all. In fact, most newer doors have what looks like a flat version of a lock with a slot in it. We usually keep coins to put in the slot to turn the knob. So in most of America, we don't understand the "peeking through the lock" thing. :p
We just unlock the door and walk right in!!! :D

Reactions: Corrupted