can i use unreal engine render in renpy games

Blueshadow14

Oct 7, 2020
well i'm new in this so i want to know can we use renders made by using unreal engine in ren'py project, do we have to pay royalties to the epic. i have heard that UE is faster then BLENDER and less time consuming and better rendering quality. i want to know about it please help me.

tightbuns

Game Developer
Aug 27, 2019
as an indie you only have to pay epic if you make a game using their engine, and even then, only after you cross 1mil in revenue. BUT, you're not doing that (making a game on their engine).
You're rendering in unreal engine and using the images/animations in ren'py. So no, you'll never have to pay them anything even if you go over a million in revenue.

Last edited:
Reactions: Blueshadow14

Blueshadow14

Oct 7, 2020
as an indie you only have to pay epic if you make a game using their engine, and even then, only after you cross 1mil in revenue. BUT, you're not doing that.
You're rendering in unreal engine and using the images/animations in ren'py. So no, you'll never have to pay them anything even if you go over a million in revenue.
thanks a lot for answer.

Reactions: tightbuns

witcher234

Dec 20, 2020
well i'm new in this so i want to know can we use renders made by using unreal engine in ren'py project, do we have to pay royalties to the epic. i have heard that UE is faster then BLENDER and less time consuming and better rendering quality. i want to know about it please help me.
Quality isnt better than blender. but its good enough for renpy games. I myself is trying to do it using dazmodels. But problem with UE4 is always animations and when using morphs seems to disoreint char.

MissFortune

I Was Once, Possibly, Maybe, Perhaps… A Harem King
Respected User
Game Developer
Aug 17, 2019
Quality isnt better than blender. but its good enough for renpy games. I myself is trying to do it using dazmodels. But problem with UE4 is always animations and when using morphs seems to disoreint char.
IT-Roy is using UE for his renders in To Be A King. They hardly match the quality of his Daz stuff, but it's an example of it being used all the same.

May 3, 2018
i have heard that UE is faster then BLENDER and less time consuming and better rendering quality.
Less time consuming and faster? Probably, certainly render times will be faster.

Better quality? No. Blender and Cycles are path tracing, and the quality, especially with shadows, is better than Lumen in Unreal. Definitely slower though.

But keep in mind, you'll need a pretty beefy computer to use Lumen and Nanite in any big scene in Unreal with anything approaching real time.

Another thing is that while Unreal is perhaps easier to get started in than Blender, I think Blender is easier to master. Setting up a scene is easier in Unreal, but once you introduce animations and characters and all of that, I think Blender wins. Complex character animations (especially like what we do for NSFW games) is SO much easier in Blender. You can be precise with labia stretching, secondary motions, all sorts of stuff that would be harder to do in Unreal.

Another consideration is if you think you will doing a lot of custom work - like custom models, environments, etc. in that case you'd likely be using Blender to model and texture to begin with, so it is trivially easy to then render in Blender as well, without worrying about importing assets and set-ups into Unreal.

I've tried both, and if I was ONLY doing environments . . . I might pick Unreal. But since I am doing characters as well, Blender is much easier for me. Keep in mind that resources like Mixamo work just as well for Blender as they do Unreal. Same with most asset packs.

But try them both and see what you like. If I had to break it down, I'd say - "If you like to kit bash and use other people's assets and don't plan to create your own stuff - use Unreal. If you are more of a creator, and know you'll want to make unique things in 3D - use Blender."
as an indie you only have to pay epic if you make a game using their engine, and even then, only after you cross 1mil in revenue. BUT, you're not doing that (making a game on their engine).
This won't be true for much longer.

Starting in 2024, Epic is going to start charging for use of Unreal outside the game space. They have realized they are leaving tons of money on the table by not charging fees for people using Unreal to render stills, VFX work, videos, etc. and will be introducing some form of subscription plan.

So, another point to Blender - it is and always will be free.

Blueshadow14

Oct 7, 2020
IT-Roy is using UE for his renders in To Be A King. They hardly match the quality of his Daz stuff, but it's an example of it being used all the same.
The renders in Alpha, Omega are made with Unreal Engine. Great-looking game.
That looks like Daz and not UE
His character models are Daz, but he exports them to UE. His environments he makes himself in 3DS and also exports to UE.
Ezykeyal
Less time consuming and faster? Probably, certainly render times will be faster.

Better quality? No. Blender and Cycles are path tracing, and the quality, especially with shadows, is better than Lumen in Unreal. Definitely slower though.

But keep in mind, you'll need a pretty beefy computer to use Lumen and Nanite in any big scene in Unreal with anything approaching real time.

Another thing is that while Unreal is perhaps easier to get started in than Blender, I think Blender is easier to master. Setting up a scene is easier in Unreal, but once you introduce animations and characters and all of that, I think Blender wins. Complex character animations (especially like what we do for NSFW games) is SO much easier in Blender. You can be precise with labia stretching, secondary motions, all sorts of stuff that would be harder to do in Unreal.

Another consideration is if you think you will doing a lot of custom work - like custom models, environments, etc. in that case you'd likely be using Blender to model and texture to begin with, so it is trivially easy to then render in Blender as well, without worrying about importing assets and set-ups into Unreal.

I've tried both, and if I was ONLY doing environments . . . I might pick Unreal. But since I am doing characters as well, Blender is much easier for me. Keep in mind that resources like Mixamo work just as well for Blender as they do Unreal. Same with most asset packs.

But try them both and see what you like. If I had to break it down, I'd say - "If you like to kit bash and use other people's assets and don't plan to create your own stuff - use Unreal. If you are more of a creator, and know you'll want to make unique things in 3D - use Blender."

This won't be true for much longer.

Starting in 2024, Epic is going to start charging for use of Unreal outside the game space. They have realized they are leaving tons of money on the table by not charging fees for people using Unreal to render stills, VFX work, videos, etc. and will be introducing some form of subscription plan.

So, another point to Blender - it is and always will be free.
Yep, I'm using the pathtracer in UE5 for my renders. takes 3 to 10 min per render. A bit more if I have to render 20+ characters.

Thank you guys for answering my problem, I think I'll try Blender and see if I get the results I want.

witcher234

Dec 20, 2020
Yep, I'm using the pathtracer in UE5 for my renders. takes 3 to 10 min per render. A bit more if I have to render 20+ characters.
Whats point of using Pathtracer if Daz gives better quality renders especially for chars. And if render time is more or less the same

peterppp

Mar 5, 2020
3-10 min per indoor render which is more or less what you can get with daz.
you understand that everyone doesn't have the same computer specs? how does it help someone with a potato pc that someone else with 2x4090 can render stuff in minutes? and in any case, it will still take longer with daz so the render times are not the same

Ezykeyal

Game Developer
Dec 29, 2021
I use UE not for the speed increase, but because I've used it for years. Why would I use DAZ when its easier for me to make custom environments and everything else very easily. Also, try rendering a scene with 20+ characters and see how that goes in DAZ. Its not an issue for me. I agree, DAZ as a character renderer is more powerful as it has advanced rendering features UE doesnt have.
Whats point of using Pathtracer if Daz gives better quality renders especially for chars. And if render time is more or less the same

witcher234

Dec 20, 2020
I use UE not for the speed increase, but because I've used it for years. Why would I use DAZ when its easier for me to make custom environments and everything else very easily. Also, try rendering a scene with 20+ characters and see how that goes in DAZ. Its not an issue for me. I agree, DAZ as a character renderer is more powerful as it has advanced rendering features UE doesnt have.
well UE has long setup time where you have to import all chars with custom materials and morphs and then posing chars which would take time. Where as in daz you can just load the chars with poses and render it. For 20+ chars you generally use prerenders chars as background texture on a plane. IF your game included lot of video animation it would have made more sense.
Anyway how much difference in render quality there is when using path tracer vs lumen ??

Ezykeyal

Game Developer
Dec 29, 2021
well UE has long setup time where you have to import all chars with custom materials and morphs and then posing chars which would take time. Where as in daz you can just load the chars with poses and render it. For 20+ chars you generally use prerenders chars as background texture on a plane. IF your game included lot of video animation it would have made more sense.
Anyway how much difference in render quality there is when using path tracer vs lumen ??
It does take a bit of time to get a character in there at first, but its a one time step. If you use the shaders that come with the plugin, it doesnt look great either. I've made my own as well (another thing thats nice in UE). I switched from using a skeletal mesh setup for a static mesh setup. It wasnt nice how the bone deformation was handled at times. It takes a few minutes extra to get each pose in, but it is exactly as is. Opening any scene, no matter the amount of environment and characters, takes not even a minute. I'm not even talking about cheap billboards.

The main difference between using lumen and the pathtracer is the reflection and bounce light quality. Running realtime with translucency has always been a pain in the ass, which you dont have to worry about with pathtracing.

Impious Monk

Game Developer
Oct 14, 2021
well UE has long setup time where you have to import all chars with custom materials and morphs and then posing chars which would take time. Where as in daz you can just load the chars with poses and render it. For 20+ chars you generally use prerenders chars as background texture on a plane.
Using 20+ characters in a scene is quite taxing on Daz. The billboard solution can work depending on the situation, but for some scenes it's not feasible due to positioning. Many users, depending on their hardware and patience, simply avoid these types of scenes in Daz. I have a couple in my current update and they have dramatically slowed down production.

Turret

Engaged Member
Jun 23, 2017
What programs you use, hinges much on what you want to do. First off, currently Epic only wants royalty if you make games and have earnings with it above a million.
If you use and/or create environments, houses, etc much, be it premade kitbashing or own custom stuff, Unreal wins hands down. Even newbies can create some awesome environment, esp. if you are customising on blueprints. Unreal is also more forgiving on what computer you use. Granted, the better the stats, the easier it runs, but for e.g. DAZ you need a beefy and expensive machine if you want fast and high quality renders, esp. with a couple characters in the scene.
Even a medium PC has few problems rendering the same scene in Unreal and a lot quicker than DAZ. Using DAZ on the same medium level PC would take hours per picture.
Beside this Unreal is an engine you can use for all kinds of games, films or even architecture.
Unreal´s drawbacks are quite a setup time for scenes with animations(but once done, you can render to your hearts content), in special importing characters from other programs can be fiddly and while the situation gets better, there are few NSFW models native to UE.

Blender can do many things quite well and is a completely free product. There is a reason many Devs here use a DAZ/Blender combination for their works. I personally find Blender even more complicated than Unreal or Unity, often doing things differently for no apparent reason than wanting to be different.
Importing DAZ characters is normally easier than in Unreal.