Can anyone help me with DAZ ?

xesp

Mar 26, 2018
Hi I am new to daz and I need some tips, so I will put a very simple question, that I believe will have a very complex answer....

How can I transform this:

I have just loaded the product an added some preset light... because it was all dark...

But I want to get this:

?
Again I am new with Daz... can anyone help?

thecardinal

Latina midget, sub to my Onlyfans - cash for gash
Game Developer
Jul 28, 2017
Well the first image is just the viewport. Did you try to render it?

As for lighting in Daz, I use two methods. You can use Ghostlights, which will create an invisible plane with directed light. Think like an invisible wall of sunlight pointing in one direction.

Or you can choose objects in the scene (like in the ceiling) and give them texture emissions

U

User_166761

You want to avoid the emission shader since it has terrible performance compared with the native light sources. See and

Relevant post:

IMO, avoid using surfaces as principle scene light sources. I know people have been talking about it here, because other PBR renderers use them heavily. But nVidia recommends against it in their documentation, for performance reasons, and they provide plenty of other native objects that are specifically optimized as light sources. Save the emissive setting for when you need an object to light up (TV screen, sci-fi control panel, etc.), not to provide the lighting for your scene.

For future reference, to make an object emissive, select its surface in the Surfaces tab. Go to the Uber Iray shaders in your Content folder, and find the one that says Emissive. Apply it. This zeros out all the other settings (very important) and "activates" the emissive property simply by changing its emission color from all-black. You can dial in the color you want, and specify the strength of the light.

If you want a broad light source, use a spot light, and change its emitter from Point to Disc or Rectangle. Then alter the width and height of the emitter. You can make gigantic light panels this way -- the ,measurements are in centimeters, so a 200 by 200 emitter is over six feet square (or diameter). Iray is more efficient when using its internally-defined light sources. Two other benefits: 1) you can view the scene "through" the light without the use of auxilliary cameras, and 2) you can very easily hide the emitter from the renderer by selecting this property for the spotlight.
Keep in mind that rendering dark scenes (night) with a few light sources is relatively easy, just as it is to render outdoor environments (with HDRIs). The struggle is when you need to render interiors at sunset or during daylight. Then you are relying heavily on indirect lighting and rendering becomes super slow.

Besides doing what the quote above suggests (using broad spot lights), at that point you might want to use a few GhostLights, which are very fast (these don't come with DAZ, you need to install them separately), but they tend to remove contrast and the lighting ends up being quite flat, but if your gpu can't handle interiors it's better than a super grainy render.

The example scene you posted can be easily recreated with GhostLights since the scene is very well lit.

thecardinal

Game Developer
Jul 28, 2017
@zalook I stopped using Iray a while ago, I couldn't stand those grainy renders. Octane all the way baby.

U

User_166761

@zalook I stopped using Iray a while ago, I couldn't stand those grainy renders. Octane all the way baby.
Never tried Octane since my gpu is crap anyway and octane does not use the CPU.

Anyway, don't you have to convert all the materials manually?

thecardinal

Game Developer
Jul 28, 2017
Never tried Octane since my gpu is crap anyway and octane does not use the CPU.

Anyway, don't you have to convert all the materials manually?
I bought a $120 GPU for my old ass desktop, seems to work pretty good.

You do, but you can save them as material presets to make it faster. Plus with the viewport you can see instant changes (no clipping or lighting issues you only notice after 30 minutes). Plus you can keep shading and posing in Daz while it renders. Only downside is that getting Octane cost me 2 weeks of pay. :/

Reactions: User_166761
U

User_166761

I bought a $120 GPU for my old ass desktop, seems to work pretty good.

You do, but you can save them as material presets to make it faster. Plus with the viewport you can see instant changes (no clipping or lighting issues you only notice after 30 minutes). Plus you can keep shading and posing in Daz while it renders. Only downside is that getting Octane cost me 2 weeks of pay. :/
External GPU? was thinking about that...

EDIT: oh nvm, thought you said laptop.

xesp

Mar 26, 2018
well thank you for your help gonna try those GhostLights if i can find them... and no I dont have a good pc.... is it possible to do (not so bad...) render, with 3delight with low render settings? And can you show me those "low render settings"?

thecardinal

Game Developer
Jul 28, 2017
3delight won't help you. Stick to Iray for the beginning. I don't have a good pc either.

I'm really sorry I can't send links on mobile right now. There are products called 'Iray Ghost Lights' and another by Sveva called ''intensity moods.' Load a brand new genesis 3 model, don't modify or add anything else, and try those

thecardinal

Game Developer
Jul 28, 2017
The intensity moods one has one-click options for render environments

xesp

Mar 26, 2018
ok and how can i specify low settings in iray? what settings should i use? If I change nothing my pc just crash... :(

thecardinal

Game Developer
Jul 28, 2017
The render settings tab has an option to reset to defaults. Do that. Make sure you are rendering using Nvidia Iray if using Iray textures.

Does your GPU support Nvidia? If not, change it to CPU only on the advanced tab under the render settings. Try rendering a base character, no clothes, no hair, no morphs, no light. Set the image size to very small. Does it still crash?

If you provide screenshots it would help too.

U

User_166761

If you computer is having that much trouble with Iray you might as well use 3Delight, there are a couple of games using that, even very good ones like Wicked Choices and old Chloe 18.

Keep in mind that you should then use 3Delight shaders (see Surfaces tab) instead of Iray Uber shaders (if you try to render with Iray shaders it will take a very long time because DAZ tries to convert the shaders to 3Delight on the fly, which doesn't even give good results). Not all models/products come with both, so in some cases you will have to manually convert the shaders, which for most materials is not that hard. This script might help:

La_Pucelle

Pending Deletion
Jun 6, 2018
You might want to check the Daz forums also here -
That is the new user forums. There are tutorials there and also in their forums are technical help and commons sections where people are really helpful. I would take the time to learn Iray if your computer handles that. There are more and more asset producers that no longer create 3Delight versions of their products. Basically why do twice the work if Iray is (I guess) supposed to be the future is the thinking.

xesp

Mar 26, 2018
The render settings tab has an option to reset to defaults. Do that. Make sure you are rendering using Nvidia Iray if using Iray textures.

Does your GPU support Nvidia? If not, change it to CPU only on the advanced tab under the render settings. Try rendering a base character, no clothes, no hair, no morphs, no light. Set the image size to very small. Does it still crash?

If you provide screenshots it would help too.

Thank You! so this is the result:

800 x 450....and it takes 24 minutes to finish.... :( but at least didnt crash...
I will try the same but with 3Delight to try to understand the quality and time diferences.

Thank you all for your help!

thecardinal

Game Developer
Jul 28, 2017
Thank You! so this is the result:

800 x 450....and it takes 24 minutes to finish.... :( but at least didnt crash...
I will try the same but with 3Delight to try to understand the quality and time diferences.

Thank you all for your help!
Not too bad for a first try! Just play around with the settings, find what works best for your computer. Lighting eats up your render times, and even though it is a small render the lighting you have in that picture looks realistic, which takes up more render time. Find a balance and a style you like.

U

User_166761

well... this is what i get with 3delight... in 3 minutes:

...lol...?
What are you using for lights? that might be the issue (just use the built in lamps). Otherwise check the materials, although they should be converted to 3Delight on the fly anyway. In any case, make sure the shader isn't "Iray Uber", otherwise you will get ugly results in 3Delight.

xesp

Mar 26, 2018
hi again, and thank you all again!
I am having problems rendering with 3Delight.. I never get good images... my image rendered with IRAY i from far... the best one I ever did... but before try to solve it (the problems with 3Delight) I want to ask something to you all.

I dont have a good PC to render.
I have seen some render farms...
I dont see any render farm that will render my daz scenes...
I want to ask you something:

Is there anyone that wouldnt mind to render one scene I create in DAZ.... just to see how will that come out?
If "you" wouldn mind to render one scene I create, How should I save it and send it to you? format? save scene as...?

(and if you open that scene in daz and see that should have some more lights or there is something that is just not right , you can change it , but please tell me what you change and why... )

anyone?

xesp

Mar 26, 2018
zalook... I will really apreciate your help with 3Delight.. if you dont mind