VN Ren'Py Abandoned Buttons [v0.006]: A crowdsourced VN

5.00 star(s) 2 Votes

inkalicious

Game Developer
May 29, 2017
Gah! Missed my chance as well.
Futa... ugh. As I recently said in another thread, I respect the fact that many people like it, but I'm in the other camp of users who dislike it. It's just not for me.

Thankfully, the game will cater to both camps. I just hope it doesn't have too much overlap between characters where not enabling futa content will negatively impact the plot or its natural progression.
Not to worry Back, the plan is that ignoring the optional fetishes won't hinder character progress. Of course that'll mean you'll miss out on specific paths, and perhaps have a shorter playthrough than others, but you should still progress as much as anyone else.

inkalicious

Game Developer
May 29, 2017
Just a quick update for you all. If you follow the Redburns Production thread, you'll know what's next.

I'm still working my way through the images for v0.1 but have hit some problems IRL.
It's mainly to do with work, or rather the lack of it. This isn't a sob story, but on a practical level I need to re-direct my spare-time and effort to chasing down work.

I'm also loathed to put the 'On Hold' banner on this project, so bear with me until I triumphantly deliver the next version.
Yes. Triumphantly!

(Man, I already regretted making such a bold statement, then I go and double down on it? Sheesh.)

inkalicious

Game Developer
May 29, 2017
Triumphantly, you'll (@inkalicious) find something awesome in that job market out there and then return to us with a glorious new version! Hooah!
Cheers Back.

Hopefully when they ask 'And what are your hobbies?', I'll reply 'Building adult virtual novels' and they'll be like 'Wow! How noble. We will support you in your creative endeavours.' Yep.

Back

Aug 3, 2017
Living dangerously there, buddy. I'm not sure I'd roll that die like that. You're braver and more honest than me if you do, lol!

Reactions: inkalicious

Zippity

Respected User
Nov 16, 2017
Sounds like the premise of this VN/Game, allowing so much outside creative control, will just lead to trouble and a poorly designed product... The threat of content chaos, when forming content based purely off public polls and external creative control, which can vary from moment to moment, and not keeping strict control of the content under a tiny handful of developers, is just asking for trouble... Sounds more like a money making ploy to feed off the masses of folks wanting to pay their way into controlling content... Using a quirky development concept as a hype mechanism...

Perhaps this is just a mad experiment? I don't know, but sounds too bizarre... Most projects that use this method, never really excel for very long (or in the long run)... Even semi-controlled chaos leads to lots of bad content decisions...

Best of luck...

Zip

inkalicious

Game Developer
May 29, 2017
OK, so, it's April...is this game dead or is there actually an update coming?
Should this have an onhold tag?
I liked the start … News ?

Sorry for the silence, but I kept thinking 'Soon. I'll have something for them soon...'
Unfortunately 'soon' isn't that soon.

To be clear, the project is still alive with around 60% of the next part completed, but it's just a time issue.

I've put the game thread on hold, but won't be doing it here, as this the discussion / development thread. I'm happy to chat about the game in the meantime, while I plod on in the background.

Reactions: JoJos123

inkalicious

Game Developer
May 29, 2017
Sounds like the premise of this VN/Game, allowing so much outside creative control, will just lead to trouble and a poorly designed product... The threat of content chaos, when forming content based purely off public polls and external creative control, which can vary from moment to moment, and not keeping strict control of the content under a tiny handful of developers, is just asking for trouble... Sounds more like a money making ploy to feed off the masses of folks wanting to pay their way into controlling content... Using a quirky development concept as a hype mechanism...

Perhaps this is just a mad experiment? I don't know, but sounds too bizarre... Most projects that use this method, never really excel for very long (or in the long run)... Even semi-controlled chaos leads to lots of bad content decisions...

Best of luck...

Zip
I know that this is your usual post of faux even-handedness with 'hard truths' riddled with inaccuracies, but I'll bite.

There cannot be any chaos as the crowdsourcing is limited to defined content. It's a creative collaboration where it's my job is to formulate a narrative, within the framework I've built, using audience content.
The only issue I've found is that the scale of the production outweighs the time I have. Nothing more.

There is no request for money involved. This is purely a project within F95.
That's why, in this and the games thread, the developer has been identified as the F95 users and myself.

It is an experiment. That's very clear from the OP and any, and all, discussions on this project.
And, as an experiment, it may be short-lived or fail to do all it set out to do, but at least there was an effort. Isn't that worth acknowledging, if not supporting?

Bad content is as subjective as what turns someone on, which is why certain kinks will be avoidable. And if the premise or narrative doesn't suit your tastes or expectations, it'll no doubt please others.

Zippity

Respected User
Nov 16, 2017
I know that this is your usual post of faux even-handedness with 'hard truths' riddled with inaccuracies, but I'll bite.

There cannot be any chaos as the crowdsourcing is limited to defined content. It's a creative collaboration where it's my job is to formulate a narrative, within the framework I've built, using audience content.
The only issue I've found is that the scale of the production outweighs the time I have. Nothing more.

There is no request for money involved. This is purely a project within F95.
That's why, in this and the games thread, the developer has been identified as the F95 users and myself.

It is an experiment. That's very clear from the OP and any, and all, discussions on this project.
And, as an experiment, it may be short-lived or fail to do all it set out to do, but at least there was an effort. Isn't that worth acknowledging, if not supporting?

Bad content is as subjective as what turns someone on, which is why certain kinks will be avoidable. And if the premise or narrative doesn't suit your tastes or expectations, it'll no doubt please others.
As to the comment I made about Patreon, there is a link in the signature section to your Patreon page... Right under the Banner for this VN/Game... So from a marketing point of view, you could technically make money from developing this project as folks could end up donating to you as a tip or just to help out... Even though no official request is made, it could still occur... I do agree, you are not asking outright for any money for this specific project...

It's an interesting yet odd method to make a VN/Game... Even though I'm unsure as to how well it will really do over the long haul... Mostly based on what I've seen with other projects that allowed this much crowd involvement in the creative process... I'll be sure to check it out some time in the future to see how it's doing... Who knows, maybe it will really succeed... Until then, again, best of luck...

Zip

Last edited:

desmosome

Forum Fanatic
Sep 5, 2018
As to the comment I made about Patreon, there is a link in the signature section to your Patreon page... Right under the Banner for this VN/Game... So from a marketing point of view, you could technically make money from developing this project as folks could end up donating to you as a tip or just to help out... Even though no official request is made, it could still occur... I do agree, you are not asking outright for any money for this specific project...

It's an interesting yet odd method to make a VN/Game... Even though I'm unsure as to how well it will really do over the long haul... Mostly based on what I've seen with other projects that allowed this much crowd involvement in the creative process... I'll be sure to check it out some time in the future to see how it's doing... Who knows, maybe it will really succeed... Until then, again, best of luck...

Zip
dude, he capped his patreon and its only there to show appreciation to his initial supporters or something like that. He obviously isn't doing any of this for money.

His main game The Kindread is amazing and there are people wanting to give him money but they can't lol.

Reactions: inkalicious

inkalicious

Game Developer
May 29, 2017
Amazing thread this one !

hey inkalicious , when is the next poll ?
I don't know to be honest.
I now have more than enough base story and character info to write a good sized game. However if I run into any new concepts, narratives or unknowns that need a decision, I'll return with a poll.
Except for the core story and development, I'll default to asking you guys 'what next?'.

I do have some things that need voting on, but at this stage I'm wary of having lots of ideas with nothing to show for it.

fuckyouassholes

Nov 27, 2018
I don't know to be honest.
I now have more than enough base story and character info to write a good sized game. However if I run into any new concepts, narratives or unknowns that need a decision, I'll return with a poll.
Except for the core story and development, I'll default to asking you guys 'what next?'.

I do have some things that need voting on, but at this stage I'm wary of having lots of ideas with nothing to show for it.
that's cool !

i'd rather you finish the Kindred game first and then go for this one ( collecting interesting insights from the polls and user opinions in the meanwhile ! also, the experience of game dev you get from the Kindred game will be used in this game !)

best of luck !

5.00 star(s) 2 Votes