2.50 star(s) 2 Votes

graykingdom

Oct 15, 2016
No idea my post was more general and about actual costs of game dev vs. What ppl make on avg. For their games and how that affects things on a game devs side.

macadam

Chicken Bubble Butt
Game Developer
Aug 5, 2016
i just saw someone on patreon that make rpgmaker sex game and ask for reach limit of 500$ for ...... 16gb of ram.... what the f ??? its not like if 16gb of ram will cost 500$ -_-

that milk system is worse than kickstarter

graykingdom

Oct 15, 2016
I have said this before its not 500 bucks after taxes and what they take for using their services you are left with less then the 500 but yes it would be more then 80 bucks which normal ram would be but also keep in mind ecc ram is more expensive and is what a real game dev or movie maker would want and can cost 200 or more and also a game dev or a movie maker would want more then 16 GB of ram 64 to 126 GB or more is what I want then I can load scenes and scrub through data more.

EcC is error correcting code ram which is needed for a random effect that can happen when you render. When you render a still or animation there is noise in that still or animation normally you don't see it cuz they take denoise to the still or animate the noise in the animation so you don't notice the noise but it is there either way. Noise can lead to artifacts in your rendered stills or animation and ruin entire sections of the still or animation. ECC prevents this and helps errors windows might have etc by storing data and using that stored data if something goes wrong which is why its more expensive.

That also goes for GPUs, a titan x is 1200 roughly and will do whatever you need it for in video games and normal tasks. A quadtro card is 2,800 to 5,000 and on paper seems like a titan and would preform the same while playing a game but it has ecc ram in it. Also a quadtro has double the ram a titan has on the high end and has been binned to preform better and take less power from the wall making it more cost efftive to run more of them in a single rig. This doesn't seem important to the average person but when you run 4 cards and you have Like 5 different systems so you can render farm out content like animations for the game that can take days or weeks or months even in some cases you can see how that's important to a company's bottomline.

Also I am talking from the POV of a good game dev who works hard and makes decent games not from someone who milks ppl and makes crap content and doesn't put effort in for their games and expects money for doing nothing.

Last edited:

JohnRobinson

Aug 5, 2016
Milking the patreons sucks... but if this game felt even slightly new, maybe i wouldn't care, i feel like i have played this exact same shit 100 times before.

macadam

Chicken Bubble Butt
Game Developer
Aug 5, 2016
I have said this before its not 500 bucks after taxes and what they take for using their services you are left with less then the 500 but yes it would be more then 80 bucks which normal ram would be but also keep in mind ecc ram is more expensive and is what a real game dev or movie maker would want and can cost 200 or more and also a game dev or a movie maker would want more then 16 GB of ram 64 to 126 GB or more is what I want then I can load scenes and scrub through data more.

EcC is error correcting code ram which is needed for a random effect that can happen when you render. When you render a still or animation there is noise in that still or animation normally you don't see it cuz they take denoise to the still or animate the noise in the animation so you don't notice the noise but it is there either way. Noise can lead to artifacts in your rendered stills or animation and ruin entire sections of the still or animation. ECC prevents this and helps errors windows might have etc by storing data and using that stored data if something goes wrong which is why its more expensive.

That also goes for GPUs, a titan x is 1200 roughly and will do whatever you need it for in video games and normal tasks. A quadtro card is 2,800 to 5,000 and on paper seems like a titan and would preform the same while playing a game but it has ecc ram in it. Also a quadtro has double the ram a titan has on the high end and has been binned to preform better and take less power from the wall making it more cost efftive to run more of them in a single rig. This doesn't seem important to the average person but when you run 4 cards and you have Like 5 different systems so you can render farm out content like animations for the game that can take days or weeks or months even in some cases you can see how that's important to a company's bottomline.

Also I am talking from the POV of a good game dev who works hard and makes decent games not from someone who milks ppl and makes crap content and doesn't put effort in for their games and expects money for doing nothing.
======
Our fee is 5% of processed pledges. Payment processing fees vary based on the pledge amount, but are typically under 5% of the total amount you process across all patrons.

We do not handle most tax payments, but we collect tax identification information and report this to tax authorities as legally required. You are responsible for reporting any taxes.
=======

simple as that, nothing else

baka

Engaged Member
Modder
Oct 13, 2016
maybe they have problems when its time for penetration. it seems they like to make strip, nude, blow, hand jobs. but the actual penetration is a bit trickier do it well. so, what they do, is to make a game until we get to that part, then it start to get heavier so it takes more time to release the next part, they lose momentum and inspiration with that, to make a newgame its much easier and its fresh, new ideas, also, a new source of cash flooding in. the only one that can do anything about it is the patrons, NOT supporting new games, cut the money. but it seems we have tons of stupid people that love to spend money, with no clue that they are actually creating this situation where we dont get completed games.

graykingdom

Oct 15, 2016
======
Our fee is 5% of processed pledges. Payment processing fees vary based on the pledge amount, but are typically under 5% of the total amount you process across all patrons.

We do not handle most tax payments, but we collect tax identification information and report this to tax authorities as legally required. You are responsible for reporting any taxes.
=======

I am aware that is still 5% or so depending and while you do not handle taxes taxes still need to be paid and you even report them so ppl are paying which cuts into the number seen on their page. If its 500 bucks being seen there is your 5% taken out then the taxes its still less then 500.

I could sit do the math give exact number and be more on the ball with this all but point is its less amount seen on the page due to these facts and while taxes and a 5% processing might not amount to aton it does matter.

I.e in mass the cost of living in most areas with a half decent apt and basics is roughly 2k if I am making 2k on the page and ppl see that after taxes and the 5% processing I am not making that cost of living and have to make the difference.

I am not saying you take large sums of money from content creators or that taxes are sky high I am saying that there is more to it then just seeing that number and saying yup he's making 2k and that's enough to do x y and z and then live off of or buy said item that content creator wanted and is milking someone.

Again this assumes that you are a decent content creator and not a bad one and are doing your best to provide what you said you were.

greyelf

Nov 16, 2016
======
Our fee is 5% of processed pledges ......
=======
I don't know which country the developer resides in so I will use an example of one I have visited and worked in.

Australia's provisional tax rate varies between 19% and 45% (19, 32.5, 37, 45) depending on the projected total income amount earnable for the year.
eg. 12 months x $2,060 per month from P-ron would net $24K (ish), to which they would need to add the projected income from their day job. If that is over $13K then their tax rate will be at least 32.5%

So if they are currently on the lowest rate the $500 dollars would end up being around $342
eg. $500 - 25 (5% for p-ron) - 133 (19% for tax) = 342.

If they are on the highest rate then it would end up being around $261.25
eg. $500 - 25 (5% for p-ron) - 213.75 (45% for tax) = 261.25

Using an AU proxy to look at current online prices of 16GB ram results in values between $89 crap to $229 top of the range, the prices in actual brick-and-mortar stores may be more.

Reactions: Cirro84

graykingdom

Oct 15, 2016
I don't know which country the developer resides in so I will use an example of one I have visited and worked in.

Australia's provisional tax rate varies between 19% and 45% (19, 32.5, 37, 45) depending on the projected total income amount earnable for the year.
eg. 12 months x $2,060 per month from P-ron would net $24K (ish), to which they would need to add the projected income from their day job. If that is over $13K then their tax rate will be at least 32.5%

So if they are currently on the lowest rate the $500 dollars would end up being around $342
eg. $500 - 25 (5% for p-ron) - 133 (19% for tax) = 342.

If they are on the highest rate then it would end up being around $261.25
eg. $500 - 25 (5% for p-ron) - 213.75 (45% for tax) = 261.25

Using an AU proxy to look at current online prices of 16GB ram results in values between $89 crap to $229 top of the range, the prices in actual brick-and-mortar stores may be more.
Thanks for saying what i said and giving the numbers for it as well, i am lazy sometimes and that helps put things into view much better then me.

muttdoggy

Dogerator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2016
Let's not derail this thread. But I do like the info you guys have discussed and brought up regarding patreon. If we feel the need to discuss patreon further, we do have a thread about who makes what from patreon and you can discuss those points in finer detail there. There's some peeps who are really loving this game and they think "oh an update!" only to find it's a patreon discussion and they gain sorrow and lose all hope. :p

thedude

Aug 9, 2016
I'm sorry if I start another off-topic discussion, but I'm curious why people were complaining about this game as if Malleck was to drop Road Trip.
Yes, he dropped the other Camp something game to focus on Road Trip, but his patrons supported his decision. His previous game wasn't really well received, while Road Trip became his hit.
As for Breaking the Limits, the female character was introduced on Road Trip and became really popular. Malleck asked his patrons if they'd like to see a new game with the other female character and people wanted it. Malleck has been saying since the beggining that his major focus will still be on Road Trip, since he even got another author to help him on the new project.
So far, I don't see anything that points he'll drop Road Trip and he delivers updates regularly, so I also fail to see where he's milking his patrons.

Reactions: Hexel

muttdoggy

Dogerator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2016
Natali from Brothers and Sisters or Dragon Throne is helping him on that. What slowed it down was a third team member left. What I'm guessing what most people are upset about is that it's a rather short demo for the amount of data in it.
And why didn't he focus on Road Trip and let Natali do Breaking the Limits himself since he's already done well with another game?

thedude

Aug 9, 2016
Dunno. Since it's a character he created, I'd guess he'd like to be involved in her story.
We'll see in a couple of months if Road Trip'll suffer from the new game or if Breaking the Limits'll be short-lived. Since his patrons are paying the same price as usual and still got a new game and a new version to Road Trip this month, I'd say they got more than expected, not the opposite.

riccartman

Sep 17, 2016
Interesting things being discussed here, and I'd like to pitch in my 2 cents, and hope I don't derail the thread.
I don't mind all these developers getting money from patreon, it irritates me, sure it does, but I try not to mind it.
The problem that I have with them lot is NOT FINISHING A GAME.
Now as someone suggested that they make this decision and their patrons support them, that's great and all but starting a project after abandoning the other before it hampers one's ability to grow as a developer, as a writer and what not. And it also, slowly yet surely, starts to instill this state that they can just shut it down and start on something new. Too many a times I've watched films/animes where I was hooked to the story and all but they botched the endings, did anyone else ever experience that? FML & FML-B are my most beloved animes ever, but I still think they botched the endings, or I was not satisfied with the conclusion. Sure there will always be people who'd argue that they weren't satisfied with the endings, and sure its possible that I belong to those cry babies.
But make no mistake, my qualms about them not finishing a game is not that 'oh they'll never grow and reach their true potential', fuck that. I play something, I kinda invest my time and emotion into the story and if that story never reaches a conclusion and they say that they're moving to something else, thats what pisses me off, and THAT'S the problem I have with these developers...

greyelf

Nov 16, 2016
As I see the topic of earning money from P-ron, if I am not one of the patrons of a particular developer then it's none of my business how much they may be earning, what they are (or are not) doing to earn that amount, or what they do with the amount they earn. That is between the patrons and the said developer.

baka

Engaged Member
Modder
Oct 13, 2016
at least he finished one game. i could discuss about the quality, but its not important. the importance is that he keeps making games and hopefully they gets better and better. i did not play 0.1, but i think i will try 0.2 when i get my teeth on it

2.50 star(s) 2 Votes