VN Ren'Py Blurring the Walls [v0.5.0] [Torimiata]

4.50 star(s) 41 Votes

pirohiro

Feb 15, 2020
First time I have heard about a dev locking general updates behind a premium tier. Isn't general updates meant to be public? Stifling discussion seems counter productive to me.

I think this game has promise, but the dev is a walking red flag. No transparency. No communication. No update schedule. And Patrons paying for months with no updates without pausing his Patreon. I will also note that on the About Page of his Patreon it still promises regular monthly releases. Torimata I suggest that if nothing else, you change this, as you are currently advertising something to new Patrons which is clearly untrue (and has been for some time).

idkmanerally

May 2, 2023
the above post is exactly what i'm talking about. lack of updates creates anxiety. even if the new version releases today, people have a bad taste in their mouth about it. another good patreon update a few days ago to announce and contextualize the delay would've made everyone feel better, but instead the vibes turn sour

for the record, i've seen the discord posts, and i DONT think the dev is a red flag, and i bet this update drops tomorrow or monday and is probably pretty huge in scope. but if i wasn't paying $15 to see that update, id be in the same boat as the people who are becoming very skeptical.

Last edited:
Reactions: alyssssssssss

elMeno88

Mar 7, 2022
Personally I’d recommend the weekly update, just in order to keep contact with subscribers and let people know what’s going on with the project… let say to let them partecipate even more

kristo0086

Nov 17, 2021
the above post is exactly what i'm talking about. lack of updates creates anxiety. even if the new version releases today, people have a bad taste in their mouth about it. another good patreon update a few days ago to announce and contextualize the delay would've made everyone feel better, but instead the vibes turn sour
The author just needs to be informed about realistic deadlines. 7-10 days were declared for patreon

idkmanerally

May 2, 2023
The author just needs to be informed about realistic deadlines. 7-10 days were declared for patreon
i don't understand what you are saying. the last patreon update was march 10, which gave a loose estimate of 7-10 days, and it has been 13 days since that post.

burcounting808

Jun 18, 2022
i don't understand what you are saying. the last patreon update was march 10, which gave a loose estimate of 7-10 days, and it has been 13 days since that post.
The thing is that the dev never said it would come out in 7-10 days. He just said in the countdown post that the final review process historically (based on past updates) takes 7-10 days. Not that it was going to be released in 7-10 days. And considering this is the largest update ever it makes sense that it exceeded the usual process time. THEN he said he would be adding the animations to the initial update instead of waiting for 0.5.1 and to not expect it to be done BEFORE friday. Not that it would release friday. Throughout this whole process not once did commit to saying when it would release. It's everyone making assumptions and getting mad about stuff Tori never said.

Basically everyone is getting mad at Tori for giving updates. If he never put out the final countdown post or any updates at all people wouldn't be so mad.

Torimiata

Game Developer
Sep 24, 2023
I appreciate the feedback. I will review in more detail after the release. But here's my quick thoughts:

The general update message itself didn't change. It is close and it is the final stage of dev. Last one took 10 days, this one is taking a bit longer, but it is also a bigger update, but maybe it was wrong to mention previous days? Not sure how to best go about it. Not giving any estimate also seems wrong to me.

I'm working very very hard to make it happen but understand my goal is to focus on making a good game first and I need to focus on that above everything else. It's hard to estimate when something will be done as I like to go back and review previous scenes multiple times but I understand that can be frustrating.

I realize supporting the project is not for everyone but be aware that I'm very grateful for anyone that does support it and understands the chaotic process of it all. I hope the final result is worth it and am looking forward to read the feedback on that.

The one thing I will disagree is any comment regarding pausing or similar as release cycles are independent of that. The work is non-stop, otherwise I wouldn't hit the 100k words milestone so soon ;)

I want to see the project finished more than anyone else, I can promise you that, but with the vision and quality I expect it to have above anything else.

idkmanerally

May 2, 2023
The general update message itself didn't change. It is close and it is the final stage of dev. Last one took 10 days, this one is taking a bit longer, but it is also a bigger update, but maybe it was wrong to mention previous days? Not sure how to best go about it. Not giving any estimate also seems wrong to me.
i appreciate the update and the consideration. like i said in my previous post, i don't doubt that you're hard at work on it, but to address this specific part: the answer, to me, is more communication. i know 7-10 wasn't a promise, but as the 10th day passes, just drop a message on patreon! it costs nothing, takes just a few seconds, and would short circuit the growing anxiety

if you just said "sorry it's taking a little longer, there's this one scene that's taking a while to animate, i have my hands full, and so does ayumi...:sneaky:" everyone would go crazy with excitement instead of the tantrums happening here and in discord

Reactions: Pr0GamerJohnny

burcounting808

Jun 18, 2022
i appreciate the update and the consideration. like i said in my previous post, i don't doubt that you're hard at work on it, but to address this specific part: the answer, to me, is more communication. i know 7-10 wasn't a promise, but as the 10th day passes, just drop a message on patreon! it costs nothing, takes just a few seconds, and would short circuit the growing anxiety

if you just said "sorry it's taking a little longer, there's this one scene that's taking a while to animate, i have my hands full, and so does ayumi...:sneaky:" everyone would go crazy with excitement instead of the tantrums happening here and in discord
While I do see what you mean regarding the patreon stuff, he did exactly what you are asking in the discord. Every time he has given a timeframe, on the last day he gave an update on discord. He did it on the last day of the 7-10 timeline. In that update he mentioned friday. Then when it got to Friday he gave an update again. So he has been consistent. Just not on patreon.

idkmanerally

May 2, 2023
that was only for the $15 tier. many of the people on discord griping are not $15 tier, and people from the higher tier have come to do damage control and leak "tori said update is coming soon..." like i did in this thread, too

but its not our responsibility and would mean more coming from the dev. but most importantly it might make people on the fence about contributing decide they're comfortable paying for the patreon. but instead, when they log on and see a bunch of people going "any update? anyone heard from the dev? is this game abandoned?" thats REALLY BAD for devs trying to increase their patreon numbers

i KNOW dev is working hard, i KNOW theres nothing to worry about, but potential subscribers do not

Reactions: Rickk2029

syruponwaffles

Feb 10, 2020
I appreciate the feedback. I will review in more detail after the release. But here's my quick thoughts:

The way I see it is that most people including myself really dont care when it comes out, just that there is communication. When you gave a "historically 7-10 days" number people will hope it comes in 7 but understand that it could take 10. But we dont mind if it does actually take longer, we want the game to be the quality that you are aiming for.

Its just that once you gave any numbers, people would expect a short "Hey its going to be longer, dont worry I'm alright its just the final process is larger in scope than I originally estimated as my goals and the progress of the story this time are larger than usual." Once those numbers look like they could be wrong or you do go past them. While you didn't say "will come out in x days" you did give a general timeline of how long the current step does take. For this instance if you thought it would take longer but didnt want to give any sense of timeline I would recommend saying something like "Usually this step of the process doesn't take too long, this update is larger and will take longer." Though people do like time estimates so they can expect things and plan around them. It really is up to you but it really came down to the estimate / timeline of this step of the process.

Just that as soon as you give any timeline, people will then want an update if it changes.

While Discord can be a "frequent and informal" update space where updates could happen anytime, you should aim for the Patreon to be a "This week: Short update post" kind of thing. While I have seen that some devs like to give the whole "1234 Frames, 5 animations, 6 new chracters" on their patreon updates, all it really needs to be is a static consistent update. It could be weekly, Bi-monthly, for longer projects maybe even monthly.

We are here asking, commenting, and some even supporting on Patreon because we care about your game and want it to be the best it can, and hopefully up to your standards. So far this has been a great story and actually some of the best art that I have seen using ai to supplement on speedy creation without lacking quality control. Not to mention it being, to my knowledge, one of if not the longest running project using it so far. It has a LOT of potential and some devs just vanish after making a chapter or two. Keep up the great work and storytelling!

Reactions: idkmanerally
Jul 9, 2018

I'm working very very hard to make it happen but understand my goal is to focus on making a good game first and I need to focus on that above everything else. It's hard to estimate when something will be done as I like to go back and review previous scenes multiple times but I understand that can be frustrating.

I realize supporting the project is not for everyone but be aware that I'm very grateful for anyone that does support it and understands the chaotic process of it all. I hope the final result is worth it and am looking forward to read the feedback on that.

The one thing I will disagree is any comment regarding pausing or similar as release cycles are independent of that. The work is non-stop, otherwise I wouldn't hit the 100k words milestone so soon ;)

I want to see the project finished more than anyone else, I can promise you that, but with the vision and quality I expect it to have above anything else.

Totally understandable, you are killing it keep it up :D

Sep 2, 2017

TBH I wouldn't worry too much about everybody else's opinions - nobody loves to complain about late releases more than people who're getting them for free.

baka

Engaged Member
Modder
Oct 13, 2016
if u are not a DEV yourself its hard to understand the process.
there can be millions of factors. I will not try to analyze Torimiata but myself.
- motivation. sometimes I dont have it. and to just move 1m its tiring and depressing.
- perfection. its not always easy to make it right. my own project I have redone stuff hundreds of times.
- estimation. its not to be confused as prophecies. so many variables can make it sooner or later.
- desire. what I want in my mind is not the same as how it will turn out. that can put stress on me.

for an outsider the most important thing is that the DEV is working and creating something from his "creative-mind"
that he feel motivated and rewarded. "for me" a bit of stress is good. a deadline will make me work better, but theres a thin-line. if I feel assaulted or insulted or I feel injustice about what Im doing this can get ugly. a few times I have told myself to drop it as why bother with all the cretins out there.

if u enjoy the game u need to be a good supporter. if not monetary at least an understanding personality. give credit and feedback that matters and is useful, show maturity, show that u have empathy.
to wait a week or two is not the end of the world. if the DEV tells u he is working, believe in that.
it will show when he releases the update.

polpolp

Jul 11, 2017
What are you basing this on? There's been no humiliation of the MC for his dick size, compared to Terrace or not. Ayumi clearly enjoys sex with him.
The problem is she doesnt have sex with him for a long time, just blowjob, handjob and footjob. Last real fucking was after the beach scene at the beginning of the game.

And the dick size difference is really monstruous between MC and Terrance its ridiculous, another problem is the dick of MC shrink from the first fucking to the pool handjob or footjob

Reactions: alyssssssssss

polpolp

Jul 11, 2017
Well - The author/developer has said this game would be Netorase only, and I like to have a bit of trust in people saying that this explicitly. But you are right - It somehow feels a bit strange and uneasy that this stuff is coming up. We just have to wait and see how it all play's out. As said - I have a little trust in the author/developer, and I do not expect to be slapped in the face with Netorare or something. That would be a dick move (to say the least).
I hope its gonna stay netorase with the MC not becoming a wimp cuck but the last updates make me worried:

- MC and his GF only had real sex after the beach scene
- after its blowjob, handjob, pussy licking and footjob (in many hard cuck game/stories the MC doesnt get fucking anymore.
- the fact that the MC dick shrink from thefirst fucking and the pool scene or footjob scene
- the ridiculous siez of terrence dick that is 3 times MC dick not even hard -_-
- MC girl pushing boundaries and asking if its ok when MC is excited

So yes the game is incredibly exciting and well writing, but the wimp cuck road gonna break all of this if its really happening.
in netorase the MC can be a stag in control, not a cuck wimp with small dick

4.50 star(s) 41 Votes