Blender vs Daz3D: What's Best for You?

Saki_Sliz

May 3, 2018
My first question, though, are free tutorials on par/better than paid for courses? Udemy has a lot of courses there, but most of the time it's some dude with an ear-bleeding accent. I could use some directions for stuff and resources that can get me up and running with 2.80
The most crucial part is doing, doing, doing.
What I did:
1 open the program.
2 asked what can I do?
3 try to do something I think would be simple
4 ask, how do I do it?
5 Google how to do it?
6 If I am ready, A can follow along (moving a box), if I am not ready (creating a character from scratch)
6a I have to research into each step
6b I give up and try to think of something simpler.
7 jump to step 2 and repeat.
8 ask how did I get here as you take another hit of coke

basically a constant stream of what can I do, how do I do it? and building up the experience. Took be 2 months to be where I wanted to be in 3 weeks :D

I've looked all over sheep it (excluding forums and discord), but I can't find anywhere that it's only for SFW renders. Also, could you expand a bit on the 'private group' bit? It's unclear how you might go about finding one, for example.
Strangly enough, they updated their site so I can't even find the original post: But basically, SHEEP IT WILL SHOW USERS THE FINISHED RENDER!!!!! that is why you can't do NSFW stuff without joining a private group that is alright with that showing up.

papel

Game Developer
Sep 2, 2018
Why bother with Android ? Get yourself decent 13 inch ultra laptop and call it a day. Del ones are thin. If that's to large go with 12 inch.
Not really possible for me. Try using a laptop while standing on a moving bus. As I said earlier, my problem is lack of time, my main machine is an aging Asus S46C, not good enough for Daz, as the GT 740M can't render iRays and lacks a studio driver, but good enough for everything else. Exporting morphed and posed daz models over to blender to do rendering and possibly animation does sound like the best option for me right now.

Yustu

May 22, 2018
RHQuinn mistermano
I completely forgot, just woke up when initially posted and Android tripped me off, about one HW and that one is actually standing next to my desk (got myslef one for app testing).

Dual boot Android / Windows 12 inch tablet with Atom CPU. CPU/iGPU is crap but will run Blender on Windows.
Downside it's expensive, around 250 USD.
There are of course other dual boot tables and all mostly with Atom CPUs, maybe 10 inch will be cheaper.

RHQuinn

Sep 9, 2019
Not really possible for me. Try using a laptop while standing on a moving bus.
Heh. to the rescue! But yea mostly a gag reply.

Tablet + Blender TLDR; If it's even possible I can only imagine it to be an inefficient and frustrating experience. But hey, I'm nobody. If you can, give it a shot and find out for real. It might be surprisingly OK, especially with a pen as opposed to just a finger, doubly so if it's a pressure sensitive pen like with e.g. a wacom or intuous drawing tablet.

Yustu

May 22, 2018
Ok, I did tested Blender on that Chuwi 12 inch tablet and ... surprisingly it's workable @@ .
Performance is crap, did only tested basic manipulation and object adding, no vertex etc.

So if someone do commute and has seat then using tablet could actually be possible. There are also other accessories to that Chuwi model like presure sensitivit pen (I don't have that) so experience could be very similar to other drawing tablets.

Reactions: RHQuinn

lancelotdulak

Nov 7, 2018
Id strongly suggest you try another option.
Build a decent system at home spending what you can afford and focusing primarily on the gpu.
Then use Teamviewer on a laptop. I do this on my phone, have done it on tablets, had an old touchscreen thinkpad .. i think a 410? i did it on. Worked fantastic. 2 core 2 or 4 gib ram laptop.. Just hook up teamviewer and all yorue missing is a mouse and of course when you have a table you have that too. That laptop cost me like 100-150 btw. You can get the non touchscreen equivalent for $50 on ebay

Reactions: TK8000 and RHQuinn

shuishuo

Sep 4, 2020
Blender can do (almost) everything Daz Studio does and then some. Likewise, it can do everything Hexagon can do and then some. Where they overlap, Blender is (or has been certainly) more difficult to learn, partly because of extra features, flexibility and power. Blender has a lot more documentation, too.
I’ve recently been ramping up my Blender skills and am sold on the benefits of using a drawing tablet.
I have a A4 sized XP-Pen Deco 03 wireless graphics tablet . I love it for sculpting and texture painting. Vertex modeling I still prefer to do with a mouse.

Saki_Sliz

May 3, 2018
am sold on the benefits of using a drawing tablet.
I have a A4 sized XP-Pen Deco 03 wireless graphics tablet . I love it for sculpting and texture painting. Vertex modeling I still prefer to do with a mouse.
That's good to know!
I use Duet, a software for the ipad, but one update it will work perfectly, the next it wont work at all, then the next it is all good. I've yet to go back to using a tablet in years. I never could get my brain to go from point A to point B using a tablet.

TK8000

Game Developer
Jul 9, 2017
Blender can do (almost) everything Daz Studio does and then some. Likewise, it can do everything Hexagon can do and then some. Where they overlap, Blender is (or has been certainly) more difficult to learn, partly because of extra features, flexibility and power. Blender has a lot more documentation, too.
I’ve recently been ramping up my Blender skills and am sold on the benefits of using a drawing tablet.
Is there enough availability of assets with an erotic theme for Blender? Or does using the program inevitably include modeling a lot of things from scratch?

recreation

pure evil!
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 10, 2018
Is there enough availability of assets with an erotic theme for Blender?
No.
Or does using the program inevitably include modeling a lot of things from scratch?
Yes.

You can of course import Daz stuff, but it needs a lot of fixing, even with all the available import options.
Blender takes a lot of time, but it can be a nice addition and even spare time if you know how to use it for certain tasks.
Can't find a specific object or model you need for a scene in Daz? Make it in blender. Need some changes made to a Daz model, but find the options in Daz too limited? Do it in blender.

Deleted member 1121028

Dec 28, 2018
Is there enough availability of assets with an erotic theme for Blender? Or does using the program inevitably include modeling a lot of things from scratch?
It's super dry in comparaison to Daz/iray for pron VN.
What Blender users produce the most is endless internet logorrhoea about what they could eventually do.
If you're lucky you may see a render one day.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Synx

Jul 30, 2018
You can just import DAZ models. Getting the textures across can be a bit annoying for sure but doable. Then you got for adult themed models (mainly charachters from games). You will still be moddeling or adjusting a lot for sure, but its not like you need to create every character from scratch (which I would highly advice not to do).

But I wouldnt use blender if you are just making a basic modern time VN. DAZ has more then enough to offer for that. You would use blender if you wanna make a VN in a different time period or setting as DAZ assets are really lacking in that aspect.

caLTD

Game Developer
Feb 4, 2018
Ahem...

Blender has finest if not best Daz importer plugin and it has one click to rigify support and yes it supports genitals.

However, using blender requires some effort. And yes daz still best for the Renpy class games.

Deleted member 1121028

Dec 28, 2018
Ahem...

Blender has finest if not best Daz importer plugin and it has one click to rigify support and yes it supports genitals.

However, using blender requires some effort. And yes daz still best for the Renpy class games.
It's still a galaxy away from any bland iray render.

1080-5.png

Don't get me wrong, diffeomorphic make crazy improvement over the years. @jclave beta blender build could cut the workflow in half (crazy)- even if not perfect, it's a huge step forward.

caLTD

Game Developer
Feb 4, 2018
I did not use Blender for rendering however it was my main import export tool from various sources to Unreal so ? I don't have any idea Iray vs Blender quality and I just point out, in these days getting Daz content to blender was simply one no 3 clicks.

Also I'm pretty sure some one has skills and knowledge in blender (especially 2.8 +) can get good results and thats another story...

caLTD

Game Developer
Feb 4, 2018
it wasn't diffeomorphic plugin and if you don't know your business I'm not here teach you how to use google for searching simple blender add on plus it's not free. It was using standard fbx export with some daz scripting.

Salami Pasta

Apr 4, 2020
Blender is a great tool. It can do many things. If one wants to get into the nitty-gritty of 3D, Blender can do all that.
Unfortunately, with that ability to do many things comes complexity.
It's skill floor is comparatively rather high.

Daz Studio, on the other hand, while lacking the swiss-knife nature of Blender, is good at what it does.
Even with its quirks, its a time-saver*. Plug&play fun. No aspirin pills required (well, most of the time).
If you just want to render pretty things, Daz is easier to pick up and run with (for me at least; I tried both, Blender being first).

And there's no reason you can't use both, anyway. It's all about what meets your particular needs best.

* Unless you're full AMD, cha cha; I cry in CPU-only IRay renders.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Last edited: