4.80 star(s) 61 Votes
Apr 16, 2024
I'm at my wits end here
How the hell did a boss like this make it past the design phase
I just wanna finish the game man.... :confused:
Here's my experience

1st phase: hmmm, pretty easy, aside from that insta kill move i just gotta kill the one in the middle
Oh i wo-

2nd phase: no real gimicks aside from the guy on the left having counters and possiblity of being stunned, easily taken care of by magic
Oh i won fina-

3rd phase: stun locks you and kills you in the first turn, resist it or use wall of flesh as a tank, angel weapon takes care of him easily

There's no way there's ano-

4th phase: i'll keep angel weapon, it does alright damage, if it gets to max focus it should be fine? (im not sure of this)
Becomes immune to physical damage
I'll use magi-
Magic counter, instant death

what fucking piece of the puzzle am i missing?
4 is an awkward number so i assume there might be a 5th phase? imma kill myself
And that fucking 'guignol' or whatever tf it's called hasnt revealed itself in name, is there another seperate boss for that?
It's either you abuse equipment in the battle (look for SL1 Grand Guignol on the YouTube) or grind.

Phenir

Sep 28, 2019
I'm at my wits end here
Here's my experience

1st phase: hmmm, pretty easy, aside from that insta kill move i just gotta kill the one in the middle
Oh i wo-

2nd phase: no real gimicks aside from the guy on the left having counters and possiblity of being stunned, easily taken care of by magic
Oh i won fina-

3rd phase: stun locks you and kills you in the first turn, resist it or use wall of flesh as a tank, angel weapon takes care of him easily

4th phase: i'll keep angel weapon, it does alright damage, if it gets to max focus it should be fine? (im not sure of this)
I'll use magi-

And that fucking 'guignol' or whatever tf it's called hasnt revealed itself in name, is there another seperate boss for that?
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Omnom88

Dec 26, 2021
That boss took me like 5 attempts before i made it. But it basically goes all out. Switching weapons inside combat & combining effects is key.
There is nothing else left to say really as Phenir already gave u a pretty good rundown.

It gave GG a whole new meaning.
Thematically the most interesting boss in the series so far.

FakeTemplar

May 9, 2023
Question: If I only have time to play 1 BL game. Should I play Black Soul or Black soul 2?
Tf man, are you dying next week? Either way, BS2 is better imo because it's more polished, the atmosphere is more full too, but it would not be the same without a few of BS1 context. You use that information as you wish.

feelmyraf

Apr 10, 2020
I'm at my wits end here
Here's my experience

Oh i wo-

Oh i won fina-

I'll use magi-

Last edited:

Ogrexin

Nov 25, 2020

Phenir

Sep 28, 2019
Dodge doesnt work when most of the late game bosses have unavoidable attacks
You'd be surprised. A lot of attacks in late game are avoidable and even if they aren't, dodge also protects you from most status effects including some gimmicky ones like old king's.

Crestrial

Mar 15, 2019
Phenir. You are the guy I need as I'm not sure if there's any supporting evidence I'm missing here concerning Grimm's arrival and Mary Sue's role in it. I'm trying to look for anything concrete but it still seems so extremely vague in-game for a rather important detail.

I thought it evident from one of the memories in BkS 2 that Mary Sue is the one who collected authors and created Grimm, based on the "kihihihi" laugh after Lewis' wish. What is confusing me is what came after this, as I recall from the first game the black rabbit supposedly "summoned" Mary Sue with his own wish. Why did she even need to be summoned at all? Lewis/Grimm was in her garden after all, right?

So I scoured the JP wiki for information.What I essentially read was that while Mary Sue created/collected Grimm/Lewis, he wasn't the main character of her current work at the time until Prayer Master's wish. Oddly, this makes it seem like she essentially disregarded Grimm/Lewis as just another actor despite her fascination in fairy tales. She regarded the red riding hood story as a failure due to RRH's willpower, so perhaps she regarded the ongoing story as a failure for whatever reason when considering Prayer Master's wish. Alas, I can't find too much actually supporting what was going on between the events of Mary collecting Lewis and Prayer Master's wish in-game. I thought you might know or could shed some light on this.

There's also mention that TCO took interest in Alice Liddell, where TCO possessed her and approaches her lover, Lewis (in Grimm), in the Ending D of BkS. Makes sense in line with one of the flame memories, where an old Alice Liddell was gazing up at the night sky thinking of her first love, Lewis, and a "selfish god crawled closer". Or at least, I would assume Ending D is their first meet.

feelmyraf

Apr 10, 2020
Phenir. You are the guy I need as I'm not sure if there's any supporting evidence I'm missing here concerning Grimm's arrival and Mary Sue's role in it. I'm trying to look for anything concrete but it still seems so extremely vague in-game for a rather important detail.

I thought it evident from one of the memories in BkS 2 that Mary Sue is the one who collected authors and created Grimm, based on the "kihihihi" laugh after Lewis' wish. What is confusing me is what came after this, as I recall from the first game the black rabbit supposedly "summoned" Mary Sue with his own wish. Why did she even need to be summoned at all? Lewis/Grimm was in her garden after all, right?

So I scoured the JP wiki for information.What I essentially read was that while Mary Sue created/collected Grimm/Lewis, he wasn't the main character of her current work at the time until Prayer Master's wish. Oddly, this makes it seem like she essentially disregarded Grimm/Lewis as just another actor despite her fascination in fairy tales. She regarded the red riding hood story as a failure due to RRH's willpower, so perhaps she regarded the ongoing story as a failure for whatever reason when considering Prayer Master's wish. Alas, I can't find too much actually supporting what was going on between the events of Mary collecting Lewis and Prayer Master's wish in-game. I thought you might know or could shed some light on this.

There's also mention that TCO took interest in Alice Liddell, where TCO possessed her and approaches her lover, Lewis (in Grimm), in the Ending D of BkS. Makes sense in line with one of the flame memories, where an old Alice Liddell was gazing up at the night sky thinking of her first love, Lewis, and a "selfish god crawled closer". Or at least, I would assume Ending D is their first meet.
Lewis/Grimm was in her garden after all, right?

There's also mention that TCO took interest in Alice Liddell, where TCO possessed her and approaches her lover, Lewis (in Grimm), in the Ending D of BkS.

feelmyraf

Apr 10, 2020
Why would they be in TCO's garden when it was Leaf who responded to Lewis' wish? The only character who laughs like that is Leaf.
Because the tea party took place in TCO's garden. The timeline of events that took place are RRH -> Tea Party (Here's when prayer master gets jealous of Grimm) -> BS1 -> BS2

feelmyraf

Apr 10, 2020
Like sure, through trial and error you could figure out which resistances and elements enemies are weak to, but... why?
elemental weaknesses dont really matter that much since you can just reinforce/slap all 4 resins and the game will automatically apply the best one for you.

though i do get that trial and error can be a frustrating thing at times (due to a lore thing), the game does scatter blood messages throughout the game to guide you throughout the game especially when it comes to clocktower bird and before every fog/major boss and maybe some instances when it tells you to guard against the orcs that chops your ankles.

Crestrial

Mar 15, 2019
Because the tea party took place in TCO's garden. The timeline of events that took place are RRH -> Tea Party (Here's when prayer master gets jealous of Grimm) -> BS1 -> BS2
Mary Sue takes authors like Lewis (as per flame memory dialogue), creates Grimm (as per Bks 2 Ending G dialogue), and gives Grimm off to TCO's garden? In addition, you actually can physically visit Wonderland (and a tea party table where you fight Bandersnatch) in Bks 1. Unless Grimm can travel between gardens in Bks 1, I don't see why Wonderland is accessible through Mary Sue's garden.

Moreover, I need concrete proof via the referencing of in-game material or interviews above all.

Ogrexin

Nov 25, 2020
elemental weaknesses dont really matter that much since you can just reinforce/slap all 4 resins and the game will automatically apply the best one for you.

though i do get that trial and error can be a frustrating thing at times (due to a lore thing), the game does scatter blood messages throughout the game to guide you throughout the game especially when it comes to clocktower bird and before every fog/major boss and maybe some instances when it tells you to guard against the orcs that chops your ankles.
Sure, but in this case in particular, there's like several different gimicks you have to deal with, which arent all accounted for

Mary Sue takes authors like Lewis (as per flame memory dialogue), creates Grimm (as per Bks 2 Ending G dialogue), and gives Grimm off to TCO's garden? In addition, you actually can physically visit Wonderland (and a tea party table where you fight Bandersnatch) in Bks 1. Unless Grimm can travel between gardens in Bks 1, I don't see why Wonderland is accessible through Mary Sue's garden.

Moreover, I need concrete proof via the referencing of in-game material or interviews above all.

Crestrial

Mar 15, 2019
I thought the same, since she makes no attempt to hide how possessive she is of him. Right now I'm trying to write something up based on referenced material, and Phenir has been in this thread discussing stuff like this for years now so I figured he'd be the guy to know for sure.

Omnom88

Dec 26, 2021
I thought the same, since she makes no attempt to hide how possessive she is of him. Right now I'm trying to write something up based on referenced material, and Phenir has been in this thread discussing stuff like this for years now so I figured he'd be the guy to know for sure.

Last edited:
4.80 star(s) 61 Votes