Alternatives to Patreon - Maybe for Adult games

Ryahn

Birb Skull Fuckery
Staff member
Game Compressor
Donor
Jul 5, 2017
So I did some digging around and found this. Please give feedback and any helpful info about them. I tried to avoid kickstarter like ones, due to wanting to be able to pledge monthly.

I would also like to note, this is not the next patreon discussion thread. This is a discussion on possible crowdfunding sites that could be used as an alternative.

Self Hosting

Services

Sam

Sysadmin
Staff member
Administrator
Dec 22, 2016
Self hosting is pretty much out, as most payment processors won't touch it.

imghost

Oct 14, 2017
Plumfund seems to have the most liberal ToS but is limited to USA & Canada.

This little blurb caught my attention.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
They also use PayPal and WePay for financials. Would need to follow the ToS of those places as well.

Reactions: Arcane666 and Cream

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
Don't knew about them before, but they felt an opportunity and perhaps are a real alternative :

Reactions: lTTMl

hentaifan0116

May 30, 2017
Did something go down with Patreon that it is no longer a good idea to use it?

And a quick Google Search... UGHHHH.... I was just getting started too... This is going to kill a ton of great creators, and possibly prevent me from getting it into the works...

Benn Swagger

Aug 26, 2016
Yeah, I on working a novel which will turn to games someday, and my story contain underage 16yrs female being raped by her own father. It's for story purpose only, not for 'recreation'. But I guess, my content won't be accepted by general of project funding sites nor even this site. I might skipped directly to Chapter 2 instead for Patreon and F95 for allowing my work.

FanCentro looks to be an alternative as their front page is all adult content, though I'm gonna wait them stabilize their system and reputation.

By the cover looks of HoneyFund.com, I won't believe they will stay neutral when the site became big like Patreon and decide to clean all adult contents.

Reactions: volto

hentaifan0116

May 30, 2017
Initially a lot of games were suspended, but most are resurfacing "cleaned up" , it seems Patreon would still be viable as long as you conform to their initial "public standards". So far All of my followed user's sites are all back up.

lTTMl

Aug 7, 2017
We need to stop spreading the lies and deal with the truths.

No One has been Banned!

Only the Patreons must see Adult content, that's all.

maisbordeldemerde

La rabia del pueblo
Donor
Dec 19, 2016
We need to stop spreading the lies and deal with the truths.

No One has been Banned!

Only the Patreons must see Adult content, that's all.
Thats not only a question of getting banned or not, the ToS from Patreon have changed and offer limited/restrected areas to develop adult games (i.e. exit incest tags or games) which reduce the amount of games that could possibly be published over there.

As for an alternative, the best suitable option I can imagine would be a a patreon-like site dedicated to adult content creation/promotions but I don't know of things as such.

fukmada

May 3, 2017
The new rules on Patreon are only for Incest, Bestiality and Underaged characters.
These rules can easily be dodged by creators.

For Incest, you can just make it a Step Family instead, for underaged characters, you can just say they are 18 even though they don't look like it.
As for Bestiality it gets tricky but you could always refer to the animals as Therianthrope. (This is humans able to transform as will into animals.)
I don't know if it would still be considered bestiality if the sex occurs with a Therianthrope.

Now that the regulations have been dodged, nothing stop the creator from releasing a patch that change the game from Step-Family to real family, the characters to say that they are 16 instead of 18 or to just have pure bestiality.

Just take ''Man of the House'' for exemple, there is already an option to choose if it's your real family or step family.
Incest is sexual relations between close blood-relatives.
Therefore, having sex with your step mom or stepsisters is not incest.

maisbordeldemerde

La rabia del pueblo
Donor
Dec 19, 2016
Considering the amount of incest games spreading all over and these new ToS, you can guess that it would be a pain for a new dev to start a project if they have also the charge to bypass the incest rules and add more work to make a game publishable on Patreon @fukmada

Reactions: jw1985

fukmada

May 3, 2017
Considering the amount of incest games spreading all over and these new ToS, you can guess that it would be a pain for a new dev to start a project if they have also the charge to bypass the incest rules and add more work to make a game publishable on Patreon @fukmada
I disagree, all they need to do is to literally just work with 2 texts, one where they add ''step-'' before everytime there's a ''mom'', ''daughter'', ''son'', ''sister'', etc...
It is quite a fairly low amount of extra work to bypass the new rule.
If they don't want to do the extra work, then they just have to abandon the full incest intent of the game and just go with the Step family line all the way, this way they only have to work with 1 text but then you might lose your incest lover fanbase.

MegaV

May 30, 2017
As far as I'm aware they (Patreon) don't actually check the games themselves, just the posts and the page itself, just don't advertise incest under the genre and the rules should be ok

Reactions: brata and muttdoggy
K

KnightAngleBoi7

And Patreon added no public links to NSFW sites or downloads, that's gonna hurt some.

Reactions: Domiek

Toorik

Sep 21, 2017
Imho... For large gaming projects, it's probably cheaper to make a website and connect a payment system ...

Hurmur

Mar 25, 2017
I disagree, all they need to do is to literally just work with 2 texts, one where they add ''step-'' before everytime there's a ''mom'', ''daughter'', ''son'', ''sister'', etc...
It is quite a fairly low amount of extra work to bypass the new rule.
If they don't want to do the extra work, then they just have to abandon the full incest intent of the game and just go with the Step family line all the way, this way they only have to work with 1 text but then you might lose your incest lover fanbase.
Yeah, no. Won't work for me and I'm fairly certain I'm not alone in this. For me it's the lure of forbidden and/or taboo. Step-"incest" ain't really a taboo, only in social circles. I won't support pseudo-content, if there's alternative available and there usually is.

I'd rather have ridiculous laws altered to allow wider prospect when it comes to adult FANTASY. Unfortunately these laws seem to stem from ignorance and easily-offended groups. Hopefully, some day, people would be wisened enough to realise indulging in fantasy ins't followed by indulging in real life. That's what supporters of these laws seem to use as an argument, that these fantasies MAY provoke deranged people to act on their whims. But really, do you think Jack the Ripper watched Slasher movies?

I've watched thousands of violent movies, TV-shows and games - Still not a murderer.
I've played rape games or games that feature rape in some extend - Still not a rapist.
I've even dabbled in loli - Still not a child molester.
I've encountered bestiality - I like dogs, but wouldn't have sex with one.
(...and never will be)

Bip

Donor
May 4, 2017
Imho... For large gaming projects, it's probably cheaper to make a website and connect a payment system ...
I'm not sure of that and they would lose a lot of pledges.
First, Patreon fees are not abusive. Visa or Paypal have fees too.
And for pledgers, it would be a pain in the ass to have to follow each author, to have to manage multiple payments etc.

Now, the FanCentro alternative, pointed by @anne O'nymous a few posts before, can do the trick. But one author, one site, is the worse they can do IMHO.

Crell

Aug 6, 2017
The new rules on Patreon are only for Incest, Bestiality and Underaged characters.
These rules can easily be dodged by creators.

For Incest, you can just make it a Step Family instead, for underaged characters, you can just say they are 18 even though they don't look like it.
As for Bestiality it gets tricky but you could always refer to the animals as Therianthrope. (This is humans able to transform as will into animals.)
I don't know if it would still be considered bestiality if the sex occurs with a Therianthrope.
Sorry, but this is bullshit. The moment I see a "step" anywhere near another word describing a family member, I drop the game. They might as well be complete strangers, because the whole thing lacks the taboo part. That's the sole reason I'm into stuff like Incest and Bestiality. I'm grossed out by the thought of sleeping with my sister or doing something with animals. But when others cross that taboo (when it comes to bestiality, it's only when women do it), it's the hottest thing imaginable for me. So no, this is not a solution. It's not a fetish. And it certainly is not a thing I'd pay money for.