Tutorial Additional way to monetize HTML5 games [+Cryptocurrency]

U

User_920791

Since Patreon's guidelines may change and prohibit (directly or indirectly) adult content in the future, I believe it is necessary to resort to other forms of monetization right away.

In this guide, I will demonstrate how to monetize your games using banners.

A-Ads
AnonymousAds does not have any restrictions regarding adult content and accepts any type of website or app. Payments are made with Bitcoin and you are not required to create an account.

On most engines, all you need to do is insert the banner code into the "index.html" file. The place where the code should be inserted will depend on the structure of your game. You can display the banner during the entire game or only in specific parts such as main menu, loading screen etc.

How to
After clicking the link above, select the "app" type, select the banner size, enter a description, deselect all the filters, select how you want to receive the payment, solve the captcha and click on "Create ad unit".

The following screen will already display the banner code and the access data (which allows you to make changes to the banner). Save this information, check the "I saved access data" box and click on "Ad Unit Details" button.

After that, you'll be taken to the main page of your ad unit, where statistics are displayed etc. Copy the banner code (if you have not already done) and insert it into your game.

I should warn you that inserting more than one banner into your game will not make you make more money (you're just going to annoy people). The number of unique impressions (and clicks) is what influences your overall earnings. You can also make more money if someone advertises directly on your banner. I recommend reading this if you still have questions about this.

Suggested Use
Create two versions of your games:
a. A public version with an ad banner on the main menu.
b. A private version for Patreon, without ads and with more content.

That way, everyone who plays your games will be able to help their development, even if they are not willing to pay directly.

Reactions: MasterWong

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
Alright... I'll be that guy.

For me it's clear, if you put ads in your game, then don't count on me to play it, whatever how good it can be. Same if you put mining code in it. It's not that I don't want to help authors, just that I hate being forced into it, whatever the way I'm forced.

U

User_920791

Alright... I'll be that guy.

For me it's clear, if you put ads in your game, then don't count on me to play it, whatever how good it can be. Same if you put mining code in it. It's not that I don't want to help authors, just that I hate being forced into it, whatever the way I'm forced.
I think most people do not like ads because they are accustomed to websites and apps that make misuse of them.

It's perfectly possible to include ads in a way that does not bother the end user, as I showed in my example (Placing a single 468x60 banner only in the main menu).

"Mining code" is a completely unsuitable solution because, even if you request authorization from the user, most antivirus, firewalls etc will detect the game as malware.

anne O'nymous

Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
It's perfectly possible to include ads in a way that does not bother the end user [...]
It's great and all, even if 18 years wandering internet let me with some doubts about your assertion. But it change nothing to the fact that I hate being forced, and that this is the reason why I'll not play such games.
Put a "help author by seeing some ads during your play" button, and I'll probably press it time to time if the game really worth it. But force me to have them, and you lost me. That's as simple as that.

What you seem to not understand is the reason of my reaction ; a reason I'm sure to share with many people.
Every single instant of our public/social time, we are a product. To use the "Invasion Los Angeles" reference, since it became so fashionable lately that they even sell clothes about it (ironic isn't it), we are always bombed by subliminal messages ordering us to "CONSUME". Worse, more and more we've let this invade our private times.
One of the few space where we are still free from this, is when we play (except on your phone, sigh !). This especially when it come to adult games, that we tend to play alone or with our loved one. It's a time for us, and for us only ; a place where we are supposed to escape all this crap. So, don't try to bring it in this space, you'll not succeed ; at least not with me.

Oiz

I am not Bloo, cause Bloo is a cunt
Modder
Donor
Aug 5, 2016
I think most people do not like ads because they are accustomed to websites and apps that make misuse of them.
Like misusing them for Coinmining? :pokerFace:

"Mining code" is a completely unsuitable solution because, even if you request authorization from the user, most antivirus, firewalls etc will detect the game as malware.
It's not unsuitable, because it's detected by antivirus/firewalls. It's unsuitable, because it shows the people what an ass you are. If a game used this, I'd immediately delete it and never touch it again.

U

User_920791

It's great and all, even if 18 years wandering internet let me with some doubts about your assertion. But it change nothing to the fact that I hate being forced, and that this is the reason why I'll not play such games.
Put a "help author by seeing some ads during your play" button, and I'll probably press it time to time if the game really worth it. But force me to have them, and you lost me. That's as simple as that.

What you seem to not understand is the reason of my reaction ; a reason I'm sure to share with many people.
Every single instant of our public/social time, we are a product. To use the "Invasion Los Angeles" reference, since it became so fashionable lately that they even sell clothes about it (ironic isn't it), we are always bombed by subliminal messages ordering us to "CONSUME". Worse, more and more we've let this invade our private times.
One of the few space where we are still free from this, is when we play (except on your phone, sigh !). This especially when it come to adult games, that we tend to play alone or with our loved one. It's a time for us, and for us only ; a place where we are supposed to escape all this crap. So, don't try to bring it in this space, you'll not succeed ; at least not with me.
I really do not understand in what way a banner displayed only on the main menu, for example, would disrupt your experience with any game. I'm not talking about video ads, for example, appearing on your screen all the time (as in mobile games), but a static element that would not be displayed all the time.

Depending on the project, a developer can spend weeks (or even months) working on the game. It should be perfectly acceptable for him to monetize the game with ads in case he makes the game available for free, regardless of whether you like the game or not. There is no free lunch.

If Patreon's guidelines become even more restricted, there are only two options left for independent developers: use ads or stop producing games.

Like misusing them for Coinmining? :pokerFace:

It's not unsuitable, because it's detected by antivirus/firewalls. It's unsuitable, because it shows the people what an ass you are. If a game used this, I'd immediately delete it and never touch it again.
Advertisement banners and miners are in different categories and the misuse of them is completely different. Inserting twenty banners on a page is different from using 99% of the user's cpu to mine Monero without his knowledge (even though both cases are unacceptable).

As long as the user knows and agrees that mining is done on his computer, there is nothing unethical about it. Regardless, no developer wants their game to be erroneously classified as malware, so it's unsuitable.

Oiz

I am not Bloo, cause Bloo is a cunt
Modder
Donor
Aug 5, 2016
Advertisement banners and miners are in different categories and the misuse of them is completely different. Inserting twenty banners on a page is different from using 99% of the user's cpu to mine Monero without his knowledge (even though both cases are unacceptable).

As long as the user knows and agrees that mining is done on his computer, there is nothing unethical about it. Regardless, no developer wants their game to be erroneously classified as malware, so it's unsuitable.
Don't get me wrong. I never said you would coin the people. But it's clearly something that crossed your mind. (Even if only thanks to anne mentioning it).

Now, in the hypothetical case that you use a coinminer and disclaim that your game mines for coins clearly (Like in big fat and red letters in the first page of your game.). Do you think that anyone would want to play this game, despite of that being the case?

U

User_920791

Don't get me wrong. I never said you would coin the people. But it's clearly something that crossed your mind. (Even if only thanks to anne mentioning it).

Now, in the hypothetical case that you use a coinminer and disclaim that your game mines for coins clearly (Like in big fat and red letters in the first page of your game.). Do you think that anyone would want to play this game, despite of that being the case?
When I became aware of the existence of this type of miner, I certainly considered using it in various projects (not related to games), but as they became more popular and became a synonym for malware, I obviously gave up using them.

Many Bitcoin faucets currently offer to use this type of miner in exchange for greater rewards for their users. This same concept could be applied in a game, for example, I could make available several additional contents, such as special events within the game if the user agrees to the mining. Even if he refuses, the user would still have access to the "base game".

In a scenario like this, I believe not everyone would see this type of mining as unacceptable.

anne O'nymous

Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
I really do not understand in what way a banner displayed only on the main menu, for example, would disrupt your experience with any game.
Seen how hard you're trying to push it, and how easily you simply ignore my arguments and didn't even try to address them, I'll end thinking that you're, in a way or another, related to the ads site you took as example.

U

User_920791

Seen how hard you're trying to push it, and how easily you simply ignore my arguments and didn't even try to address them, I'll end thinking that you're, in a way or another, related to the ads site you took as example.
I do not want to sound rude, but the only thing I can understand from your "arguments" is that you hate ads absolutely, regardless of the scenario covered, but like to consume content for free. It is impossible for me to agree to this kind of posture.

I indicated the service in question because it meets the main need of most developers: creative freedom. If you (or another user) know more ad networks that offer monetization for adult games without setting any restrictions, I'll be happy to add them here in this guide and give the credits.

forbidden101v

The Hentai Witcher
Modder
Jun 2, 2018
While I dislike ads with a strong passion and believe it only ruins the experience for consumers, I also understand that game developers need to eat. Personally I think as long as theres a premium option without ads I don't mind the use of ads in the free version. I mean people have the choice and even if they have no money theres always people like me pirating their premium content so I say have at it.

Reactions: Ratface666

anne O'nymous

Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
I do not want to sound rude, but the only thing I can understand from your "arguments" is that you hate ads absolutely, regardless of the scenario covered, but like to consume content for free. It is impossible for me to agree to this kind of posture.
Be assured that you don't sound rude. Perhaps a little stupid and hypocritical, but not rude. This said, I'm curious to know how you came from my, "I hate not having choice", to your, "you hate ads". It's a bit of shortcut, isn't it ?
As for your impossibility to agree with the posture you give me, what to say ? Coming from someone who see as legit to add a miner in a game in exchange of extended content, well... Personally it's that kind of posture that I found hard to agree with. It don't fall anymore under the, "authors need to be payed for their works" side, and looks more in the, "moneyyyyy, gime me always more money" side.
The scene have proved, since more than two decades now, that when an author worth it, he don't have difficulty to find the fund he need to live. Perhaps because, instead of trying to find how to earn more, he try to find how to improve the games he make.

Reactions: gue5t
U

User_920791

Be assured that you don't sound rude. Perhaps a little stupid and hypocritical, but not rude. This said, I'm curious to know how you came from my, "I hate not having choice", to your, "you hate ads". It's a bit of shortcut, isn't it ?
As for your impossibility to agree with the posture you give me, what to say ? Coming from someone who see as legit to add a miner in a game in exchange of extended content, well... Personally it's that kind of posture that I found hard to agree with. It don't fall anymore under the, "authors need to be payed for their works" side, and looks more in the, "moneyyyyy, gime me always more money" side.
The scene have proved, since more than two decades now, that when an author worth it, he don't have difficulty to find the fund he need to live. Perhaps because, instead of trying to find how to earn more, he try to find how to improve the games he make.
If a person openly admits that he would reject a good game, which has no intrusive ads, just because of a banner, I can only come to the obvious conclusion that it hates ads.

If the user is not being scammed and is receiving some kind of reward for donating the use of their cpu, I do not really see any problem in using miners (except the problem with antivirus etc).

If major payment processors and related services (such as Patreon) choose to ban adult games, even a brilliant developer will have to use alternative monetization methods, otherwise, it will not be possible to continue to devote their time to producing free content for everybody.

anne O'nymous

Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
If a person openly admits that he would reject a good game, which has no intrusive ads, just because of a banner, I can only come to the obvious conclusion that it hates ads.
Oh, a game, hooray ! I'll try to play it, don't hesitate to tell me if I misunderstood the rules : If a person openly demonstrate that the notion of consent pass way above its head, I can only come to the obvious conclusion that this person is a rapist...

Note that I'm nice. Iit's both a demonstration of the flaw behind your logic and a big hint about what you missed in the premise you used.

U

User_920791

Oh, a game, hooray ! I'll try to play it, don't hesitate to tell me if I misunderstood the rules : If a person openly demonstrate that the notion of consent pass way above its head, I can only come to the obvious conclusion that this person is a rapist...

Note that I'm nice. Iit's both a demonstration of the flaw behind your logic and a big hint about what you missed in the premise you used.
The statement that you hate being forced to see an ad is just an excuse to not openly admit that you do not tolerate the use of any type of advertisement/additional monetization, even if it results in less free content to entertain you.

Even though there is a completely optional button for "help author by seeing some ads during your play", you would probably choose not to click on it, just as you probably do not disable the adblock extension in your browser when you are accessing your favorite websites.

Reactions: tommy knockers

gue5t

Sep 11, 2016
@Anika Factory, it seems to me that you are trying to apply mobile gaming logic to PC games and are surprised that people are not willing to accept it - well you are missing the obvious problem here: demographics. On the mobile market you have 5-20 years old that want to play the games for free and don't care for the rest while in the adult market you have 15-80+ year old players that mostly know what they want and ADs are not on the list ...
And let's not forget the way legislation is changing and the problems the type of advertisement you are promoting will entail for the game creators ...

P.S. The reason most people install ADBlocers is because there favorite sites are full of ads they don't want to see so it's not surprising we don't turn them off on thous sites. And for the record I have specific ADs whitelisted so don't go there ...

P.P.S. Considering that even the mobile market is slowly going the way of "Would you like to watch an AD in order to get the X reward" instead of forcing ADs on it's users because they started realizing it's much more productive for them I think it's time for small developers and marketing people to start taking notice of the direction the user's wishes are pointing.

U

User_920791

@Anika Factory, it seems to me that you are trying to apply mobile gaming logic to PC games and are surprised that people are not willing to accept it - well you are missing the obvious problem here: demographics. On the mobile market you have 5-20 years old that want to play the games for free and don't care for the rest while in the adult market you have 15-80+ year old players that mostly know what they want and ADs are not on the list ...
And let's not forget the way legislation is changing and the problems the type of advertisement you are promoting will entail for the game creators ...

P.S. The reason most people install ADBlocers is because there favorite sites are full of ads they don't want to see so it's not surprising we don't turn them off on thous sites. And for the record I have specific ADs whitelisted so don't go there ...

P.P.S. Considering that even the mobile market is slowly going the way of "Would you like to watch an AD in order to get the X reward" instead of forcing ADs on it's users because they started realizing it's much more productive for them I think it's time for small developers and marketing people to start taking notice of the direction the user's wishes are pointing.
I'll have to show in practice that it's perfectly possible to include an ad banner in a game without causing any kind of discomfort or problem. Perhaps this way people will better accept this type of monetization.

Epadder

Programmer
Game Developer
Oct 25, 2016
To be blunt, it doesn't matter what you do it matters what everyone else has done. These models of monetization have already been compromised in the eyes of a significant portion of your potential player-base.

Even if a game came along and was doing the least invasive, most fair version of what you're proposing, years and years of bullshit is piled on top of this model.

Implementing this model period will be an enormous detriment to most authors, usually the only people who get away with crappy monetization models are gaming industry giants.

Reactions: DarthSeduction

DarthSeduction

Lord of Passion
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 28, 2017
The statement that you hate being forced to see an ad is just an excuse to not openly admit that you do not tolerate the use of any type of advertisement/additional monetization, even if it results in less free content to entertain you.
The statement that you hate being raped is just an excuse to not openly admit that you do not tolerate any type of sexual assault, even if it results in pleasure for the recipient.

To rehash Anne's previous allegory.

Fuck this idea with a burning passion. As a developer the only way an "ad" will ever make it into one of my games is if I team up with another developer to include a shoutout to their product. It would not be something to be paid for by either of us, but rather a mutual attempt at garnering support to our willful funding methods.

Ads are not good no matter where they come from. Ads are what ruined television, they are why we are all fleeing cable for Netflix and other subscription based content providers. We'd rather pay a small monthly fee than see ads. An ad is nothing more than greed incarnate.

U

User_920791

(...)
Ads are not good no matter where they come from. Ads are what ruined television, they are why we are all fleeing cable for Netflix and other subscription based content providers. We'd rather pay a small monthly fee than see ads. An ad is nothing more than greed incarnate.
Ads are needed tools in a variety of scenarios. This forum, for example, while having multiple donors like you, has some ad banners to help with server costs. Open television channels need the advertisements to maintain all the necessary infrastructure for their operation.

A developer who wants to produce a game with controversial themes can use ads to avoid having to "mutilate" their project to fit Patreon's strict rules.