3D Software Help and Assistance. Ask Away.

5.00 star(s) 1 Vote

Jumbi

Feb 17, 2020
Does anyone else have an issue where the install manager randomly lost its list of installed assets? I didn't change any settings and it looks like DAZ still has everything installed...
I can't say that it's happened to me, no. One bug I bump into quite frequently with DIM, though, is that one where the Daz Install Manager goes nuts when I launch it after I've manually placed few packages in the Downloads folder prior to opening the application. When I do that, chances are that DIM prompts me to install the Studio and its resources again for no reason. Another symptom I've noticed when this bug happens to me is that DIM also forgets which of my bought products I've already installed.

When that happens to me, I simply ignore what the manager is telling me, then I install those few manually placed packages and close the program after that. Next time I relaunch the DIM everything works fine again. It's crazy.

Last edited:

artistx

Aug 13, 2020
I can't say that it's happened to me, no. One bug I bump into quite frequently with DIM, though, is that one where the Daz Install Manager goes nuts when I launch it after I've manually placed few packages in the Downloads folder prior to opening the application. When I do that, chances are that DIM prompts me to install the Studio and its resources again for no reason. Another symptom I've noticed when this bug happens to me is that DIM also forgets which of my bought products I've already installed.

When that happens to me, I simply ignore what the manager is telling me, then I install those few manually placed packages and close the program after that. Next time I relaunch the DIM everything works fine again. It's crazy.
You wouldn't happen to know how to get it to see all my assets again?

Jumbi

Feb 17, 2020
You wouldn't happen to know how to get it to see all my assets again?
So, if I'm understanding your issue correctly, when you open the 'Installed' tab in DIM it shows absolutely nothing as if you hadn't install any product yet, right? And you've said you haven't changed any settings, either in DIM or in Daz Studio, is that right as well? Really strange. Have you checked your advanced settings in DIM to see if you can see anything wrong in there?

I wish I could give you specific pointers to fix your problem, but in my (still short) experience with Daz and its install manager, I've never experienced your issue. Let's hope that somebody else can give you a solution. If you have a forum account over there, you can also ask for this issue in .

grohotor

May 15, 2020
Does anyone know if its possible to do something similar to this in DAZ

As in transfer the deformation from one object to another. Using a basic shirt to deform an actual chainmail or a strip of cloth to deform a chain.

osanaiko

Engaged Member
Modder
Jul 4, 2017
Daz certainly doesn't have any of those sort of modelling or non-shit cloth physics tools.

Representing chainmail on a character (in Daz) with all the individual rings as 3d objects is kind of insane - the amount of polys in the geometry would make the interface unbearably slow, and then the number of reflective faces would make the render time explode.

Best results for chain-mail like clothing would be to get some good texture with quality normal and bump maps, and then probably do some sort of post-work for the reflections

For the second part of your question: the answer is "not in daz".

But you could take some object (including a daz item), manipulate the geometry in Blender, then import the result OBJ into daz. If the vertexes are the same (no deletions or additions) then you can continue to use the existing UVmaps and textures with no issue. Even Daz morphs will continue to work if the geom net remains unchanged.

Last edited:
Reactions: Beast Within

grohotor

May 15, 2020
Daz certainly doesn't have any of those sort of modelling or non-shit cloth physics tools.

Representing chainmail on a character (in Daz) with all the individual rings as 3d objects is kind of insane - the amount of polys in the geometry would make the interface unbearably slow, and then the number of reflective faces would make the render time explode.

Best results for chain-mail like clothing would be to get some good texture with quality normal and bump maps, and then probably do some sort of post-work for the reflections

For the second part of your question: the answer is "not in daz".

But you could take some object (including a daz item), manipulate the geometry in Blender, then import the result OBJ into daz. If the vertexes are the same (no deletions or additions) then you can continue to use the existing UVmaps and textures with no issue. Even Daz morphs will continue to work if the geom net remains unchanged.
Not asking about the modeling. Lets take the simplest case. Using a strip of cloth with dforce and having it deform a chain along it to fake physics on the chain. I though it was pretty much what transfer utility did

5.00 star(s) 1 Vote