New Breeding Game Idea

KatzeWolf

Oct 14, 2017
Love your game already! Maybe some gloryhole scenes too? :eek:

One thing to mention though is that Steam would probs not be down with incest stuff. It’s what happened to BotN and they had to patch it out. :l
I guess that would have to be unpatched with a DLC available outside of steam.
Glory holes, of course hehe

As for incest, it is something I really want in the game and I want it to be quite fleshed out and in-depth. It is one of my biggest kinks. None of the other breeder games really goes into it and I'm always left with the itch xD, so if it means a patch outside of Steam so be it. But I never stated this with the plan to add it to Steam, but if it gets big enough why not.

I want incest as a core mechanic for one race, that can only inbreed. So it would make it hard to add traits to those monsters outside of their normal ones.

maelstromancer2

Sep 2, 2023
The only things that aren't set in stone yet is the setting, and the purpose of breeding/selling monsters. A farm and town style setting like in Breeding season is only place holder for now until I think of something better.
Setting-wise, you could go the "Adam & Gaia" route where you're tasked with repopulating the land after some catastrophe, or even some newly formed/discovered realm that has yet to be inhabited. Not exactly original, but I imagine the gameplay is going to be your primary focus, not setting up some Tolkein-esque worldbuilding, so it'd do the job just fine and I doubt folks would complain much.

As for the purpose, you could maybe do something like having the offspring you release into the wild grant you favor and rewards from the various deities that were the creators of their particular species. By breeding and releasing catfolk, for example, the cat goddess might give you blessings (which could be money/materials/items, buildings for your homestead, unique traits for your own character that may be inheritable or not, etc). Could be cool to have a sort of progression mechanic with each diety, maybe even throw in some cosmetic unlocks like unique colors/patterns for each species at certain milestones of favor with their creators.

So you might start with only the ability to summon in catfolk (or whatever) in the beginning and work on progressing with their diety. As you earn their favor, your efforts catch the attention of another diety whom wants you to aid them as well, so they grant you the ability to summon their own species, and so on and so forth. The end-goal would be to reach a certain level of favor with each diety such that they are happy with the quality and quantity of their creations that inhabit the land. (Sidenote: Hybrids could be cool too, maybe lategame tasks require hybrids for progression, as a sort of symbolic commitment to a future of peaceful coexistance between the various species.)

Just some ideas!

Reactions: Doc_Pie

ciphertul

Jun 20, 2018
What is it you are looking for in a good "Breeding Game"?
What I’m hoping for is truly a pipe dream. The feel of Breeding Season, the race amount/variety and the outlandish hybrids of PoP. Also would like for some of the npcs to not be horny all the time and down to fuck anytime/anyone.

Speaking of Races, KatzeWolf what is your current list of races you’ll be putting in game?

KatzeWolf

Oct 14, 2017
What I’m hoping for is truly a pipe dream. The feel of Breeding Season, the race amount/variety and the outlandish hybrids of PoP. Also would like for some of the npcs to not be horny all the time and down to fuck anytime/anyone.

Speaking of Races, KatzeWolf what is your current list of races you’ll be putting in game?
PoP?

Horny all the time? Oh that might just be the little Fox girl, shop owner, or my character hehe
But yes I was going to add a character like that.

Im, for starters:
  • Cat girl / Cat boy
  • Wolf girl/boy
  • Elf
  • Orc
  • Goblin
  • Fox girl/boy
  • Wolf
  • Horse
  • Succubus
And some others I think of.
Cat girl/boy, wolf girl/boy, fox girl/boy and elves will be my starting focus.

daniel330

Aug 20, 2022
here's an idea I have. instead of paying the debt, taxes will be paid, and when the farm gets bigger, more taxes will be paid.
and if it happens that the taxes are not paid, the debt will have to be paid from the unpaid taxes.

Last edited:
Reactions: SDN111

ciphertul

Jun 20, 2018
PoP?

Horny all the time? Oh that might just be the little Fox girl, shop owner, or my character hehe
But yes I was going to add a character like that.

Im, for starters:
  • Cat girl / Cat boy
  • Wolf girl/boy
  • Elf
  • Orc
  • Goblin
  • Fox girl/boy
  • Wolf
  • Horse
  • Succubus
And some others I think of.
Cat girl/boy, wolf girl/boy, fox girl/boy and elves will be my starting focus.
Sounds pretty standard, it’s a good starting spot. I would like to see Lamia (hopefully Gorgon subspecies), Arachne and Harpies as those are my faves.

SDN111

Sep 26, 2023

Not a bad idea. I honestly do not believe the race amount/variety can all have animations in 2D as we do get a stupidly increasing scaling amount of different animations for every new monster type added.

I personally want the game to have a good story (character storylines). Ideally it will be mechanically sound with some thought put into how progression is measured. Ideally I would want to put new species behind quests/hybridization depending on the monster type.

Ideally the requests for monsters should scale and if traits/stats are on monsters then those should factor into requests. I would want to put specific traits (if they are included) behind NPCs breeding with monsters (likely their preferred monster type because of scaling issue) to give NPCs without one of the big jobs (monster shop, potions shop, tool upgrade/barn upgrade shop) something of value to the player.

The story and monster mechanics of the game define what and how different systems work. Assuming we have aging I would like to see that factor into other gameplay elements for our interactions with the monsters. We could use that as training time to help them develop, teach them job roles to make them more marketable for certain job types. I would want progression to both feel earned and matter it could be something as simple as unlocking a tier where a higher percentage of the loan is being paid back (assuming we are using a loan as a plot element) the ramping up of requests from key buyers, and/or the increased maintance costs to either maintain higher numbers of monster (expansions to the farm, increased ongoing costs in which we can unlock a more efficient or scaleable method of improving [food supply being a decent example of an option with plant monster types maintaining it for the farm]) or new species (needing to upgrade the farm, breed compatable monster with specific characteristics, create specific supplies, upgrade town, repair an ecosystem). Really I want monster breeding to actually feel important in the game and not get to the point where phone in and just complete an order in no time at all with nothing to do but wait until a new order comes in. Something like mass clients who do put in special orders could be a method to solve it, resource management like the food supply farming is another option, NPCs with mass requests triggering storyline events would also work.

Using breeding farm as an example what if the number of elves sent over unlocked different levels of shops or possibly allowed for certain events to be avalible from them? Or Talia as an example we fulfill requests for her unlocking higher tier monsters being avalible for us to buy? Helping Poe get monsters who can help his work decreases his prices/allows for more upgrades to be avalible? Maybe if there are wild monsters getting the guard stronger monsters means incidents decrease and/or rare monsters can be found and added to the obtainable list?

I want this to be a solid game with at least some replayability. I do not want the only draw to be the sex scenes as then it would be better as a visual novel or just gallery.

Axato

Apr 27, 2018
Hey love that this post is being kept alive, thank you so much for your work.
May I ask for a better first post with a recap of the current situation so it's easier to find information on the current state of the game and the ideas you want to implement?

Also if I can suggest something after trying a lot of this games, a thing that really bugged me always is the need to add new and new monsters without a proper game in place first.
Look at Breeding Farm for example, they added a leafy monster, sheep, dragon girls etc without even finishing to do animations for all the other monsters.
I understand that people want to see new additions to the game but it makes it feel rushed and unfinished.
So please polish details, scenes and implement quests before adding 15 different types of monsters that don't add anything to the game except a couple of gallery scenes.

Last edited:
Reactions: Doc_Pie

ciphertul

Jun 20, 2018
Not a bad idea. I honestly do not believe the race amount/variety can all have animations in 2D as we do get a stupidly increasing scaling amount of different animations for every new monster type added.
I know, animations will be the biggest hurdles but in the same vein the roster and catalog of monster types will be one of the biggest draws and attention holders. Even if it has Cloud Meadow quality of art it won’t be that great if we only get a few monster types and the opposite holds true too. PoP has a ton of options but the art style (while very good) has greatly limited the differences of the races. Worst still would be like BoN where everything looks like the same girl/guy in different outfits.
I personally want the game to have a good story (character storylines). Ideally it will be mechanically sound with some thought put into how progression is measured. Ideally I would want to put new species behind quests/hybridization depending on the monster type.
Same here but… not sure how good a story built off of a breeding game can be. I don’t think anyone is expecting a Monmusu Quest grade story here. I do agree on unlocking species and think the process of experimentation is great in this games.

To the rest: In my own head game, aging would be important as older and more experienced mons would have easier time birthing and dealing with being pregnant. Females would have a hard limit on how many births they could do similar to MBM.Each species would have a hard cap for each stat that couldn’t be passed but they would be high and need multiple generations to reach.

Another thing I would like to see is monster byproducts but unlike breeding season not every mons would have one. The one that produce them are of lower cost to sell but give a consistent income.

SDN111

Sep 26, 2023
Same here but… not sure how good a story built off of a breeding game can be. I don’t think anyone is expecting a Monmusu Quest grade story here. I do agree on unlocking species and think the process of experimentation is great in this games.
It honestly depends on the type of story being told. It's why I specifically put in character stories. It doesn't have to be anything about romancing a character although a situation like that could occur in a story.

I will use Katelyn from breeding farm as a template of a character in a romance storyline. She helps us recover from from and accident and then we decide to help at her farm in return. Currently we do not have any idea of why she is not a breeder herself in this example it could be a form of trauma, a whimsical dream or maybe she has some form of inability to have children. We gain her trust showing her taking a chance on us isn't ill founded and then something comes up (her issue, an issue involving us, some form of escalation for the farm). Either way more development for both her and the character arise from it (this can happen multiple times). Eventually a solution for her issue is found (either fixing it, showing her it doesn't matter or helping her live despite it). It doesn't need to be a mongnanomus relationship... I honestly wouldn't expect it to be in a game like this but it needs to be emotional.

Other stories could be ones of friendship, tragedy or even intrigue. The playable character doesn't even need to really in some of these stories as more than a plot device. Let say one of our early game reoccurring clients is the guard captian of another small city. He is getting monsters from us to act as soldiers to defend his people. He has multiple orders pulling common species from our area. As we either deliver or accept orders he gives us an idea of what the monsters will be doing or how the previous mission went. We then have his final order and things are positive for him until a week or two later we learn the results of the situation later where he died. Depending on the game play loop we might have earned some upgrades from him in a city defense design, in training regiments for monsters or later be able to try taming monsters from the area he was from having used the knowledge he gave to us to figure out how to tame some of them. It would depend on what the gameplay loop is for the type of stories different characters can have and how those stories weave together to make a world.

An easy answer is just putting more advanced features/monsters behind story progress like befriending a witch for the body morphing the developer has talked about. I used an example of having a plant monster unlocking growing food which could be used as a factor for maintaining a number of monsters. Have it need additional ground/seeds/energy to help maintain more monsters or specific types of monsters (this can be multiple series of quests allowing us to learn about the different monster types, NPCs, new locations). Help a blacksmith develop their workshop/learn about new designs unlocking new upgrades.

A character story isn't difficult just something that needs some planning ahead of time and a reason in the gameplay loop. Most games have some form of story those that don't are usually games where it is all about competing against one another (like tetras). Just having the simple "you are a _____ and your goal is _____" can constitute as at least something. It isn't a great story but it is a setting and a mindset for your player character.

ciphertul

Jun 20, 2018
SDN111 I meant for the overarching plot and story, not the character's stories. The main plot is harder to work with then making the npcs likable and interesting.

SDN111

Sep 26, 2023
SDN111 I meant for the overarching plot and story, not the character's stories. The main plot is harder to work with then making the npcs likable and interesting.
Not particularly. There honestly just needs to be a planned end for the story. Let's assume the end of the story is paying off the farm.

Using the Kaitlyn example I have previously her story is very intertwined with the main campaign if not being the central pillar of the campaign. Everything else branches off of her story and intertwine backs in.

We could go the route instead of cornering the market on monsters, changing the view of monsters in the eyes of a group against them (church), founding a new settlement. Maybe there is a timelimit and your character dies after X-amount of time.

A story needs 2 things a beginning and an end. Since most games need a goal points the last one is the end of the story. This is one of the big issues many games in development. They don't have a gameplan and are continuing their game adding fluff content with no end in sight. They do so to maintain a revenue source rather than have a good finished product. BoN and Breeding Farm are two games I can say have fallen into this trap just from this genera.

ciphertul

Jun 20, 2018
Using the Kaitlyn example I have previously her story is very intertwined with the main campaign if not being the central pillar of the campaign. Everything else branches off of her story and intertwine backs in.
Except she isn't a very likable character, regardless of her story, if you don't like her all the development in the world doesn't make it better.
Maybe there is a timelimit and your character dies after X-amount of time.
Dev already said losing mean sandbox mode so no MC dying.
A story needs 2 things a beginning and an end.
Sure if you wanna make is a simple as possible, having a story is very different from being a good story or even an engaging one.

saarlewder

Apr 17, 2024
The only things that aren't set in stone yet is the setting, and the purpose of breeding/selling monsters. A farm and town style setting like in Breeding season is only place holder for now until I think of something better.
Maybe the post apocalyptic + magic scenario can help. I mean, human-level intelligence could be in risk of going extinct, which is why breeding farms exist, because the chance of a human-level inteligent monster being born is very low, so people have to breed like rabbits (or worse), in order to have even a single village be sustainable, let alone the whole world.

Sure, breeding with an intelligent creature, like another human or a demi-human or outright monster with high intelligence stats, would have a higher chance of giving birth to an intelligent one, then breeding with only intelligent beings would not be enough to avoid extinction, and especially not enough to give people freedom of choice of who to breed with, so that's how breeding became something as normal to do as walking or eating, with noone batting an eye.

And maybe you can use magic to explain how beings would be born adults with fully developed brains, or to significantly speed up that process to only last a few days to a few weeks, to avoid the risk of dealing with lolis and shotas, even if you have height as a parameter which would make adults look short, especially if you're planning to publish the game on Steam.

SDN111

Sep 26, 2023
Sure if you wanna make is a simple as possible, having a story is very different from being a good story or even an engaging one.
Never said anything about the story quality but most stories that have actual quality started with a beginning and ending in mind. If you have no idea about how you want the story to end or even a characters story to end then you are unable to have any form of foreshadowing. You will have messes for interactions that have characters dropped and picked up randomly. The story is everything between the beginning and end. Weaving together your different characters stories into your worlds story is how you get good stories in general.

As for your dislike of Kaitlyn story. In Breeding Farm she honestly has not had much development as a character. I used her as a base example flushing out potential paths two comments ago in our chain. I was referencing that chain which really only kept the base premise of her being the "owner" of the farm, having issues with breeding monsters herself.

If you want I could write a basic plot skeleton of how I would have made a breeding game story but it would be long, not fully fleshed out, and likely never be used as anything other than an example on this thread.

ciphertul

Jun 20, 2018
Never said anything about the story quality
That is what I was talking about, so you're arguing just for argument sake.
If you want I could write a basic plot skeleton of how I would have made a breeding game story but it would be long, not fully fleshed out, and likely never be used as anything other than an example on this thread.
If you want people to critique your story, make a thread about it. I'm sure someone would like and maybe even use it.

To me the Journey is far more important than the ending. The start can be slow and the ending terrible but if the journey to the end is great then that is perfect to me.

Reactions: KatzeWolf

Ares02

Jan 20, 2018
Again, a silly idea thrown around. Feel free to ignore it, if it's too cumbersome or you don't like it.

Basically, different people need different monsters, and they use them for different purposes (not only for kinky play purposes).
For example,
hunters or guards may need wolfmen with certain level / traits
farmers may need bulls (farming) and cats (pest control)
brothels may want elves or the like... because elves.
A noble may want a dryad to be a sentry for his forest... and so on.

The monsters you actually "sell" to the inhabitants become actual NPCs and you can find them around the town/city (I guess they won't talk, though).
And in any city there is only a certain number of "slots" you can fill. Once you filled all the slots, you can move to a different town, and you can also find new monsters in the surrounding area (you don't need to literally move your whole farmhouse around, you just discover a new location once a certain number of events are triggered in the previous one).
As you discover locations and new monsters, new events unlock in previous locations (for example, farms that previously bought cats, can commission you bulls once you got ahold of some) or randomly some monsters may get freed / run away / get lost, so you can sell another monster to a previously satisfied customer.

While I would preferer a debt repayment to not overbearing (if exists at all), I guess that a generic reselling system (like Breeding Farm or just simply resell your trained monster to a monster seller) can be included alongside the main one, to make some cash along the way.

Reactions: saarlewder

SDN111

Sep 26, 2023
That is what I was talking about, so you're arguing just for argument sake.
You had directly said it wasn't possible initially. The initial focus had been a romance. I gave a quick example using the character concept of Kaityln from breeding farm.

You then stated that it might make decent character stories but could not be used in overarching stories. I gave an example of how you use that original base concept again as a main thread of a story.

I directly stated that for a story to be good you need a beginning and end in mind. The end doesn't need to be fully fleshed out and can be changed but without an end in mind you have little direction to form the story. It commonly ends with characters being randomly dropped in and out without any form of foreshadowing or cohesion. I also directly tied it to part of the reason why many games fail as without and end goal in mind they endlessly try to add in fluff to extend the game and milk money from patrons.

I finally made the comment when you implied that all the game storylines for breeding game to be bad to make a plot skeleton to given an example so that there could be more than simple comments of "well it wouldn't be good anyway". I directly said I personally did not feel it would ever be useful as I would not be using it for anything other than a reference in this thread. I believe I even said I personally did not care to make it.

In summary my point had been that 1. There can be a romance story in breeding games. 2. You can link character stories as with quest lines to help create an expanded world story. 3. You need to have some form of an idea for an endgame/ending or the story will go nowhere in a patreon setting. 4. Quality of the story needs both a competent writer and an ending to play towards. To finalize the overarching point was that a story can work in a breeding game.