New Breeding Game Idea

saarlewder

Apr 17, 2024
Do remember that you don't need to release all the functionality at once. You can make each major update feel more like a DLC, introducing a hwole new system and integrating it with every other part of the game. Sure, lots of refactoring would be needed, but it makes testing things out easier.

Also, please search about the "test-first development" method for writing code. Even if you don't use it, knowing about it is useful. Automated tests hand-written by you will reduce the time needed to spot bugs.

ciphertul

Jun 20, 2018
If you don't care about high-level fighting skills for the guards of your farm or for the "hunting party" to get new subjects, then you can simply ignore that and focus on shop-bought subjects and the subjects born in your farm. Same for hunting-only causing the skills for expanding the farm to be missing, so you would need to spend most of your profit in order to pay NPCs to take care of your subjects' needs and wants (maybe other than mating).
This sounds awful, they already said we are paying off a debt, adding an Upkeep to that would really strain the fun out of it.

KatzeWolf

Oct 14, 2017
Do remember that you don't need to release all the functionality at once. You can make each major update feel more like a DLC, introducing a hwole new system and integrating it with every other part of the game. Sure, lots of refactoring would be needed, but it makes testing things out easier.

Also, please search about the "test-first development" method for writing code. Even if you don't use it, knowing about it is useful. Automated tests hand-written by you will reduce the time needed to spot bugs.
This sounds awful, they already said we are paying off a debt, adding an Upkeep to that would really strain the fun out of it.
Look, at least at first I'm going to be focusing on the main aspect of the game, which is breeding.
I want an in-depth breeding system before anything else.

saarlewder

Apr 17, 2024
The upkeep would be optional, and bring some bonuses. So people could either do those things themselves until they got a high-intelligence gene which can be bred into someone who joins the farm and does some of that upkeep, or pay someone to do that. And people could also simply not breed their subjects, and instead just harvest from them milk (from males and females) and eggs and other produce (i.e. druids could be of different plant types, and they could produce food which they give to those who make them cum, while harpies could shed feathers, which would be used to make bedding like pillows, quilts, mattresses, and so on, and humanoid sheeps would provide wool, and so on), with all produce being influenced by a trait (so you can breed subjects which produce more products every day).

This would allow for at least 4 playthrough styles: (1) Harvesting only, where you buy subjects but don't breed them. (2) Breeding only, where you sell and/or donate your subjects. (3) Fighting only, where you get subjects by defeating them, and use all the stamina on fighting, and pay for everything else with resources obtained by defeating, and from selling/adopting the subjects obtained by fighting. (4) A mix of everything.

saarlewder

Apr 17, 2024
Look, at least at first I'm going to be focusing on the main aspect of the game, which is breeding.
I want an in-depth breeding system before anything else.
Yeah. If it seemed like I asked for anythign else to come first, it was definitely not my intention. Once the breeding system is done, other things can be added, like the selling-vs-adopting for reputation which changes the NPC prices, or adding NPC quest lines which can end in sex scenes (with a reputation within the levels the NPC wants them, with some wanting high reputation and others wanting low reputation, or positive vs negative reputation, in addition to the reputation with that NPC being high-enough, or even the reputation with another NPC being low-enough or high-enough) which unlock a repeatable quest which ends in the same sex scenes, or adding fighting, or adding other systems like farming crops or renting the subjects for physical work, or adding a brothel in which you can get pregnancies from random genes for some of which you get access only after you have a high-enough or low-enough reputation and which allows you to not need to buy or capture subjects in order to expand the gene pool, and so on.

SDN111

Sep 26, 2023
It honestly depends on what the developer chooses to use. The monsters needs something to do other than just being sold via requests.

I will use Breeding farm as an example of what not to do. Currently the gameplay loop for monsters is just breed a species, level it up to the requested level and then sell that monster. If not the requested monster type then the only way to get rid of it is just abandoning it. Traits, stat rankings, and stats do not matter. Your only limit to monsters is how large your barn is but you only have 2 methods of making money (selling monsters, working in the bar).

Now logically there should be upkeep for the farm. Resources or money. If money then you need methods to make more money. But Alternatively we could take the concept of the farm and have food being grown. Initially player could do some work on it or unlock it with say a plant monster and then to increase base amount given have monsters trained to handle the different jobs depending on how far you want to go into that.

If you are playing with the idea of post apocalypse or some element of danger then a security force could make sense to stop raids on your farm, be used to hunt down more dangerous monster types to act as your starting point, be a regular request from a client (military) or some form of competitve fighting.

The point is the monsters either need some additional value in the gameplay loop to justify them as the gameplay loop. It could even be something like releasing into the wild to fix an ecosystem.

This said NPCs and the playable character should have some value in that loop if they are to be included in the breeding gameplay loop. It could be something as simple as them having specific unique traits (which ideally if going down this route should have traits degrade over generations). Maybe an NPC is the only one of an NPC able to breed with certain types of monsters (meaning they unlock the monster type and your first starter of that monster).

The things is a bad gameplay loop or unfinished one will just have the game stagnate once you get past the early game.

saarlewder

Apr 17, 2024
Exactly! We want a game which won't get boring after a short while. Something with repetitive value would be very nice. That's why I suggested being able to take different paths with success.

It could even be something like releasing into the wild to fix an ecosystem.
That's a great idea! Maybe that's what adopting is for. With every subject you sell or capture, you gain negative reputation in the world, and the only ways to increase it are to (1) release new subjects into the world at a cost of 10 released for 1 captured or sold, or (2) to have others adopt new subjects at the cost of 5 adoptions for 1 captured or sold with the caveat of having to breed the specific traits wanted or not wanted (i.e. maybe a sheep girl who doesn't make wool, for example).

Heck, you could even have a system of selling your farm and buying a new farm in another place, for example so you are closer to higher level wild ones or closer to better shops or higher demand from the rich ones.

ciphertul

Jun 20, 2018
Exactly! We want a game which won't get boring after a short while. Something with repetitive value would be very nice. That's why I suggested being able to take different paths with success.
Well to keep things simple: The game you want isn’t the game I want. Since it’s 2 vs 1, fuck me I guess. I have other options to play most of what you are suggesting.

saarlewder

Apr 17, 2024
Well to keep things simple: The game you want isn’t the game I want. Since it’s 2 vs 1, fuck me I guess. I have other options to play most of what you are suggesting.
Well, that's the thing, The things I want which you don't want would be optional. So you could simply not touch those parts, and still play the game you want.

ciphertul

Jun 20, 2018
Well, that's the thing, The things I want which you don't want would be optional. So you could simply not touch those parts, and still play the game you want.
You have heard of the saying “Someone doesn’t put something in a game they don’t want you to use” right?

saarlewder

Apr 17, 2024
Sure, you get the game you want and I go back to the pipe dream of a good breeding game. Win win for everyone… wait.
Which is why I suggested the idea of DLCs. The game would still be playable without the DLC's content, but it won't have the content of the DLCs you don't want.

ciphertul

Jun 20, 2018
Which is why I suggested the idea of DLCs. The game would still be playable without the DLC's content, but it won't have the content of the DLCs you don't want.
You act like it won’t be an ongoing game. Like it’s gonna drop done from day one and get optional DLC. It gonna be version 0.0.1 and go from there. If the dev is gonna put the working into a combat system it isn’t gonna be optional.

Reactions: DuniX

alsewh

Sep 27, 2022
Well things I already want in the game:

• The traits and things I want to make like Breeding Farm, where different monsters have different traits that can be passed on.
    One trait being 'smart' that is inherent to the player and other NPC's that has a chance to pass on to monsters.
    Monsters with the 'smart' trait can speak and the player can pursue romantic options with them.
  • Appearance traits that can pass on when breeding, hair colour, tit size, eye's, mouth, etc.
    Player has chance to give birth to less monster like offspring, ie, ears and tail, no fur.
  • I want to have a focus on incest and inbreeding if the player decides to go down that path. There won't be a penalty for inbreeding, in fact it will bring some benefits with some trade offs.
  • A family tree that tracks offspring and family lines. Player included.
  • Beastiality/Feral, because I'm into that.
  • NPC and monster relationships (with smart trait), as well as same sex relationships.
  • If female player, option to enter male pen and 'submit' to be gang-banged. Random pregnancy.
Just some initial ideas so far :3
Love your game already! Maybe some gloryhole scenes too? :eek:

One thing to mention though is that Steam would probs not be down with incest stuff. It’s what happened to BotN and they had to patch it out. :l

saarlewder

Apr 17, 2024
You act like it won’t be an ongoing game. Like it’s gonna drop done from day one and get optional DLC. It gonna be version 0.0.1 and go from there. If the dev is gonna put the working into a combat system it isn’t gonna be optional.
It could be made to work with DLCs as it's being developed, so people can buy the base game and only the DLCs they want.

saarlewder

Apr 17, 2024
Love your game already! Maybe some gloryhole scenes too? :eek:

One thing to mention though is that Steam would probs not be down with incest stuff. It’s what happened to BotN and they had to patch it out. :l
I guess that would have to be unpatched with a DLC available outside of steam.

SDN111

Sep 26, 2023
I was bringing up options. Specifically those that can ne used to have the game have more use for monsters. We legitimately need more from the gameplay loop than OH there is a new monster restart everything you did to see it's scenes. If all that was in a game was the monster breeding then it should just be a gallery.

My personal ideal option of the ones given would be the automation/upgrading paths as I do have a fondness for management games. It also adds a risk/reward that scales as you continue.

I also was specifically referencing breeding farm and it's gameplay issues as it leans too much into story (minimally developed), and the appeal of just adding in new monsters. Once you get to a certain point it becomes stupidly easy to complete the current requests in a single day and they do not have more difficult requests come in. As it takes a couple of days on average for a new request to come in there is nothing to do gameplaywise once you catch up to the story's end. At the rate they are going meaningful storyprogression will take years to develop and we will still have this same issue.

A really good breeding game I have played without a real story was Monster Black Market. They really did 3 things in their gameplay that made it both fun and allowed replayability. 1. Your female units have limited production meaning you needed to continue adjusting your set up. 2. Automation was unlockable allowing you to scale up your production which was needed. 3. You had clear milestones which scaled up the difficulty throughout the playthrough. Now this is a management game in game play format you might not like that type of game I do not know your preferences because you haven't mentioned them.

What is it you are looking for in a good "Breeding Game"?

Reactions: DuniX

KatzeWolf

Oct 14, 2017
Look, my first plans are to get the game about up to and fleshed out as much as where Breeding Season and Breeding Farm got to.

Once the breeding is fleshed out, then I'll focus on other things to add.

I already have ideas of my own I want to add first, like multiple NPC romance options and the ability to use them in the farm.

The ability to start a family (With a monster with the smart trait or an NPC) and have them live in the farm house with you.

And a few other ideas.
The only things that aren't set in stone yet is the setting, and the purpose of breeding/selling monsters. A farm and town style setting like in Breeding season is only place holder for now until I think of something better.

Reactions: saarlewder