• To improve security, we will soon start forcing password resets for any account that uses a weak password on the next login. If you have a weak password or a defunct email, please update it now to prevent future disruption.

Mr.Nonnypants

Jan 13, 2021
The game is not *crashing*, it is intentionally and cleanly closing itself. I edited the config to disable Steam and removed the steam error from my log. If you open it with no other windows open, you will see it reach the title screen menu for a few seconds before closing. There is some sort of alternative copy protection in place that is causing it to close - the developer probably used a different method than the one the previous 'copy protection fix' patch resolved. I am too busy to hunt it down, but that's what it's doing (and where it's doing it: immediately after the game displays the main menu for the first time)

King B is clearly willing to expend some effort to ensure that his Patreon early releases are in fact an early release that is hard to pirate, and given that he only provides them one week in advance that makes it improbable that the community will reliably hunt down and remove whatever method he's using in each release before the clean one comes out.

The people whom it is working for have something different than those it does not - perhaps they were at one point Patreon supporters of King B and previous installations left something behind that the game is checking for and assuming they are still current subscribers (or maybe they are). Somewhere right after the game pulls the main menu screen, it has an If statement that is checking for something and when it isn't present it is doing a clean return, which ends ren.py.
Interesting theory. Alright well looks like either an arms race occurs or people begin waiting for the official release.

I think that the week long wait will probably not irk too many people but I could definitely see people cracking this like an egg if the wait becomes extended.

• Thinking Face
Reactions: Big Rooster

Mr.Nonnypants

Jan 13, 2021
Lmao, this reminds me of Batman: Arkham Asylum's DRM on PC. For those that don't remember, they added a sneaky DRM in the game that makes it so that Batman cannot use his glider if you used a pirated copy. You would play the intro normally, get maybe 30 or 40 minutes into the game and then when you hit the part where you need to glide to progress you're basically stuck, Batman's glider will just stop working when you try.

People went online to complain about the bug, and then the Edios devs said this: "The problem you have encountered is a hook in the copy protection, to catch out people who try and download cracked versions of the game for free. It's not a bug in the game's code, it's a bug in your moral code.""
Considering Suicide Squad, I side with the pirates. Then again, this is F95.

jantsc28

Jul 9, 2020
Faled to initialize steam: FileNotFoundError("Could not find module 'E:\\CZline\\al\\A Couples Duet\\A_Couples_Duet-0.12.4-pc\\lib\\py3-windows-x86_64\\steam_api64.dll' (or one of its dependencies). Try using the full path with constructor syntax.")

And as you said

jimmyjambles

Mar 8, 2022
I disagree. I love that the game branches out and lets the player take the plot in different directions. I love that choices actually matter, and are actually impactful to the story. This is what a good interactive fiction should be about.
I'm not sure what you're actually disagreeing with, since I did not indicate any dislike for impactful choices. I only said that the impacts of choices are frequently unclear at the time that they are made, and that those choices can close off entire routes and subroutes without the player being aware that this has occurred. A game with this level of choice ambiguity ordinarily gets a walkthrough mod to help sort things out.

Adhdclassic

Mar 10, 2024
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
it will take some days for a savvy person to crack the code.
Games don't write themselves, if you appreciated the effort that goes into making them, consider supporting the dev from time to time.
pineapple express female meets love and lust female meets the BBCs

Mr.Nonnypants

Jan 13, 2021
Don't worry bros, the game just seemed to quit, for some reason.

Extract this attached file into this game's game dir and it should work.
Version 1 of copy protection defeated

It seems this has nothing to do with the steam error in the log file, and zoyle was mostly correct. Please try placing this into your 'game' folder to solve the issue.
Version 2 of copy protection defeated

Looks like I was completely wrong. People won't wait just a week.

In honor of you trying your best KingB. I will wait the week for the general release.

I won't fault you for trying a Version 3 however I am not sure its worth the effort unless you manage to get a sizable boost of people going to your patreon. Maybe putting your effort into a gallery might be a better idea.
I know the saves breaking/wiping each update is annoying for everyone. There is a way around this even if you have to create new variables retroactively. I can also explain it if that is your reasoning for the new saves each update.

Either way good luck!

4.20 star(s) 83 Votes