Defiant Explorer

Game Developer
Sep 2, 2017
Have you been even more impacted by the war after the strike on the Kiev power plant?
I'm not from Kiev. As for my city, according to the mayor, all substations have been destroyed (last year they were only "damaged"). I have no idea how the city gets power at all, if that is correct. So there is no light not only based on a "regular" blackout schedule (in quotes, because the authorities do not follow it anyway) but also every day or two there are emergency shutdowns at any time, even at night. This morning such an emergency shutdown was only for an hour, but a couple of days ago it was for almost 12 hours.

I don't usually pedal this topic. Don't really want to mix politics, war, and other crap and my game. But it's directly affecting it now, so to remain silent is to be misleading.

Nevertheless, albeit at half speed, the game's development is moving forward. Just please don't ask for timelines. Right now it's literally, "as soon as it's done".

Jinsem

Jul 31, 2017
I'm not from Kiev. As for my city, according to the mayor, all substations have been destroyed (last year they were only "damaged"). I have no idea how the city gets power at all, if that is correct. So there is no light not only based on a "regular" blackout schedule (in quotes, because the authorities do not follow it anyway) but also every day or two there are emergency shutdowns at any time, even at night. This morning such an emergency shutdown was only for an hour, but a couple of days ago it was for almost 12 hours.

I don't usually pedal this topic. Don't really want to mix politics, war, and other crap and my game. But it's directly affecting it now, so to remain silent is to be misleading.

Nevertheless, albeit at half speed, the game's development is moving forward. Just please don't ask for timelines. Right now it's literally, "as soon as it's done".
Real life:
I hope you remain safe and sound.

As for the game:
Beautiful game really, its difficult indeed, but remember its your story to tell and for us to enjoy.
Once upon a time there was a movie, the movie was going to be exactly as people want it to be, every single scene had to be redone over and over again because someone wasnt happy with the characters, someone wasnt happy with the theme, someone was insulted by what was potrayed, and someone just never wanted the movie to end, and so the movie never saw its end...
and such is the fate of most game you will find on this site.
This is your story to tell, characters are to be what they are intended to be, events are to unfold as per your inspiration, and thus I will be here constantly saying keep em coming, because I am loving it, I am not that special you see, so if I love something thats not unique, thousands others will definitely feel the same, because I am not so different after-all.

silvermoon111

Mar 23, 2021
First off I hope you and your loved ones stay safe and healthy.

Secondly, I am confused by the latest update. Is the island survival and rescue plot the only new thing? You said it was a large update but I don't feel the plot moved much. Was there updates to the story before this point that I missed and should replay to find?

Defiant Explorer

Game Developer
Sep 2, 2017

Secondly, I am confused by the latest update. Is the island survival and rescue plot the only new thing? You said it was a large update but I don't feel the plot moved much. Was there updates to the story before this point that I missed and should replay to find?
Even in its unfinished form (1.69), this update is almost equivalent to the biggest previous updates. In finished form (1.7), this will definitely be the biggest of all past updates.

P.S. If Meralion is alive, there's more content. If it still feels like not enough, well, maybe you should wait for 2-3 updates before playing. Alas, I can't do faster than that as it's possible.

damnedfrog

Nov 11, 2020

I think that one of the thing that make this update large for Defiant Explorer is the free roaming.
For what I understand, it's not easy to implement this in the Twine engine.

Also, there are lot of little details which change according to your origin and ethnos.
Like if you play a Ranalian, when you try to lit the fire, Selene said she take lock of "red hair". But don't mention the color if from another ethnos.
Same, if you are of Vagrant origin, you will use your dagger to sharp some sticks. But with other origins, you will use stones.
There are certainly other details like that that I have forgotten or missed.
They seem like nothing. But it require a lot of work. And without a doubt take a lot of time.
But it's one of the thing that make this game a great game.

Defiant Explorer

Game Developer
Sep 2, 2017
I think that one of the thing that make this update large for Defiant Explorer is the free roaming.
For what I understand, it's not easy to implement this in the Twine engine.

Also, there are lot of little details which change according to your origin and ethnos.
Like if you play a Ranalian, when you try to lit the fire, Selene said she take lock of "red hair". But don't mention the color if from another ethnos.
Same, if you are of Vagrant origin, you will use your dagger to sharp some sticks. But with other origins, you will use stones.
There are certainly other details like that that I have forgotten or missed.
They seem like nothing. But it require a lot of work. And without a doubt take a lot of time.
But it's one of the thing that make this game a great game.
It's always nice to see these little things being picked up on.

Working on Lynis's dialogue these days. Quite a complex structure over there. And the dialog itself is also may be quite insightful, well, for 3 of the 4 Origins that have separate branches there. In the game itself, it will take you, I don't know, 10 minutes? But to give to the players those 10 minutes takes days, at best. And someone can also just skip it because it's optional dialogue. But from the outside, other people's work sometimes seems like, "What's the big deal?" That's a pretty common occurrence.

@Lonely Wolf

Mar 19, 2024
It's always nice to see these little things being picked up on.

Working on Lynis's dialogue these days. Quite a complex structure over there. And the dialog itself is also may be quite insightful, well, for 3 of the 4 Origins that have separate branches there. In the game itself, it will take you, I don't know, 10 minutes? But to give to the players those 10 minutes takes days, at best. And someone can also just skip it because it's optional dialogue. But from the outside, other people's work sometimes seems like, "What's the big deal?" That's a pretty common occurrence.
Oh yes, yes, my curiosity is suddenly awakened D.E.! The dialogue with Lynis, huh? Know that I'm waiting for this scene in particular, well I mean that my noble Selene, can't wait to question this old tough guy in every detail!+! In deed, I would appreciate learning a little more about the workings of the great houses that make up the Valatean Republic. [^:unsure:^] That aside, I imagine that this fanatic of command, must not be friends with just anyone; perhaps he could get along with someone like... Hhmm... Let's say: Master Sargon in person (on the off chance, of course)......

Defiant Explorer

Game Developer
Sep 2, 2017
Oh yes, yes, my curiosity is suddenly awakened D.E.! The dialogue with Lynis, huh? Know that I'm waiting for this scene in particular, well I mean that my noble Selene, can't wait to question this old tough guy in every detail!+! In deed, I would appreciate learning a little more about the workings of the great houses that make up the Valatean Republic. [^:unsure:^] That aside, I imagine that this fanatic of command, must not be friends with just anyone; perhaps he could get along with someone like... Hhmm... Let's say: Master Sargon in person (on the off chance, of course)......
Oh, man... Am I that predictable? Yes, the noble Selene has a branch in her dialog with him devoted to just that. I'd even say that subjectively, it's the most interesting. In a way, Lynis isn't just a hairy little guy commanding a bunch of bronze-clad hunters.

Today, if nothing interferes, I'll get the last piece of this dialogue into the game and test it out.

@Lonely Wolf

Mar 19, 2024
Oh, man... Am I that predictable? Yes, the noble Selene has a branch in her dialog with him devoted to just that. I'd even say that subjectively, it's the most interesting. In a way, Lynis isn't just a hairy little guy commanding a bunch of bronze-clad hunters.

Today, if nothing interferes, I'll get the last piece of this dialogue into the game and test it out.
No Defiant Explorer, rest assured: you are not as predictable as that, far from it! It's just that regarding Lynis, I quickly understood that he was NOT just anyone!! Evidently, he has been in command of the third post of the Republic's hunters for a long time, but I felt that there were other things hidden behind this character... Otherwise, yes, the question of nobility intrigues me in your game. Mainly because I have the impression that it doesn't have much to do with < our historical Middle Ages >. So, I'm waiting to find out a little more in future updates. Either ways: thank you again for the attention you pay to the construction of your medieval fantasy universe, because I think this is very worth reading for the majority of players. To conclude, (as DamnedFrog rightly pointed out yesterday) I remain convinced that all these little details that you strive to include in the Inner Empire, will make THE DIFFERENCE between your superb role-playing game, {yeah I repeat; < superb in the old way > exactly: superb, even without this fucking A.I. guys!!! [-o_O-]} and the many other bad/average games intended for an adult and informed audience;-(y)).

Last edited:

Defiant Explorer

Game Developer
Sep 2, 2017
Mainly because I have the impression that it doesn't have much to do with < our historical Middle Ages >. So, I'm waiting to find out a little more in future updates. Either ways: thank you again for the attention you pay to the construction of your medieval fantasy universe, because I think this is very worth reading for the majority of players.
Umm, more like Bronze Age, well, already moving into the Iron Age... Ah, never mind! Probably most people will still think of it as the Middle Ages. It's something of a default setting for fantasy.

Kagarus

Sep 28, 2017
Yeah, it being set during the turnover between bronze and iron age is pretty clear when one pays attention to it (the work at the smelter and the noble background introduction I think were the most telling there).
Also pretty unused as a setting background, I can only remember one other instance (Obsidian's Tyranny), and it's a welcome change from the usual.

Defiant Explorer

Game Developer
Sep 2, 2017
Also pretty unused as a setting background, I can only remember one other instance (Obsidian's Tyranny), and it's a welcome change from the usual.
Yeah. Too bad the Obsidian never finished it. Just when we get real shit powerful magic and the opportunity to throw off the old tyrant (tyraness?) to create our own sexy tyranny with blackjack and hookers... game ends. That's not fair!

Elo91

Apr 21, 2024
Simply use your browser's console to alter the experience values of the corresponding stats, like SugarCube.State.variables.vigExp for vigor.
Hey. I've spent the better part of an hour trying to teach myself how to do this but can't. I even tried editing State.variables.insight, but at least with Firefox while the debugger can find that variable the console can't so I can't do anything about it.

I'm trying to force my will up to prevent that Cadonis jerk from basically raping me since there's no way to refuse otherwise. :'c Just hardly seems fair that I'd have to restart the whole game and put all my points to that one stat just to avoid it when I'd rather dedicate my character to anything else.

damnedfrog

Nov 11, 2020
Hey. I've spent the better part of an hour trying to teach myself how to do this but can't. I even tried editing State.variables.insight, but at least with Firefox while the debugger can find that variable the console can't so I can't do anything about it.

I'm trying to force my will up to prevent that Cadonis jerk from basically raping me since there's no way to refuse otherwise. :'c Just hardly seems fair that I'd have to restart the whole game and put all my points to that one stat just to avoid it when I'd rather dedicate my character to anything else.
Perhaps you will find some answer here: How To Debug(Or Cheat) Twine{SugarCube} Variables

Reactions: Elo91
4.60 star(s) 40 Votes