Your way of reviewing games

HO_Dude

Jan 15, 2019
The thing is, I've recently started actively reviewing and reading reviews on games here, and I've found that a lot of users do so in a weird way.
What I like is that most, if not all, of negative reviews at least try to be constructive and mention game's weak points. Quite possibly it's thanks to minimal character limitation on a review, but still great.
However, I can't say as much about 5-star ones (because when people put 4/5 they usually specify why they've not given the last star). Still, it doesn't bother me at all. Sure, some people are just new to it, so they haven't worked out any standards for themselves, so pretty much everything will be great for them. Or they simply don't dive deep into it, simply like what they see and rate it 5/5, which is everyone's right, and nobody's harmed by it, right?

But what I do actually dislike are lines like this: "this has a lot of potential, so I'm giving it additional stars (which it doesn't deserve yet, as the rest of my review shows)", "I gave this game X stars because it will improve", "I give X/5 stars in advance". Or even stuff like "it deserves less, but the other review is 1/5, so I'm giving it 5/5 to balance it out". I can understand when people expect great further development from an already good game — like, for example, I have no doubt that BaDIK will be relatively the same or better in terms of quality. But what I cannot understand is why people base their reviews on expectations from a game that they personally didn't rate good enough.
I'm not mentioning reviews that say "the game's good, but the dev is bad, so it gets less" something similar, because afaik such reviews are against the rules&guidelines.
Tl;dr: why review the game on X/5 and in the end give it Y/5 because assumptions that aren't actually based on anything.

So, my questions to you are: how do you approach reviewing the games yourselves; how much do reviews influence your choice of games; what kinds of reviews do you like/dislike to read or to note if you're a dev?

Reactions: nln0

Virulenz

Engaged Member
Sep 27, 2017
To be honest, i ignore the Reviews. I dont need to read others opinions, i build my own and i am not a dev.
And writing...well, my english is terrible, it works for small posts or lists, but not for detailed reviews. I stick to the threads and point out the bare necessities.

Reactions: Agrik

SeaRose

Nov 27, 2019
The thing is, I've recently started actively reviewing and reading reviews on games here, and I've found that a lot of users do so in a weird way.
Those aren't reviews, just opinions grounded in their own ideals of what makes a game good. Gamer communities are like that (like music communities or anything related to audiovisuals).

I guess developers take more account of the reviews / suggestions their donors make.

Lockheart

Donor
Game Developer
Jan 8, 2019
As a developer, I've noticed a few things about reviews. Notably, people are not objective. My worst reviews are almost exclusively people upset because the story isn't told the way they would tell it themselves. I've written my first novel in the third person form and I got one review complaining that it wasn't in first person.

Also, people often tunnel vision on the negatives and sometimes forget the positives. That really hurts the developer because you can demotivate them if you hammer on them for the bad and don't mention the good.

My personal suggestion is to please write objectively and not based on your personal opinions. I honestly didn't care for Being A Dik but it's a phenomenal game and I'd never give it a bad review just because I didn't enjoy being force fed my own condom. Although, that is haunting my nightmares now...

HO_Dude

Jan 15, 2019
Notably, people are not objective.
Thing is, it's in human nature to be subjective. Nothing wrong with that.
Also, people often tunnel vision on the negatives and sometimes forget the positives. That really hurts the developer
Having a 5-star review that says something like "everything is the best evaaa!" hurts you as well — because you're more inclined to believe a positive viewpoint than a negative. I mean, yeah, it may be psychologically hard to cope with lots of bad reviews, but still, people may actually tell you that there's something wrong with the game.
My personal suggestion is to please write objectively and not based on your personal opinions
Again, it's simply impossible. No matter how much you try not to, you will be biased to some extent.

Thing is, when I release my own game, I know there will probably be people that would shit on it for their own reasons. The same as there certainly will be guys who'll just say "it's perfect, wow, straight to top 10 of all time". Fun fact is that no matter how bad your game is, there will be guys who either review it 4-5/5 or just write how great and awesome it is in the game discussion. Or at least "it's not good, but muh potential, so 5/5". This simply amuses me.

P.S. looked at your game and laughed a bit at you liking all but non-5-star reviews.

Reactions: mrmcfappen

Lockheart

Donor
Game Developer
Jan 8, 2019
Thing is, it's in human nature to be subjective. Nothing wrong with that.

Having a 5-star review that says something like "everything is the best evaaa!" hurts you as well — because you're more inclined to believe a positive viewpoint than a negative. I mean, yeah, it may be psychologically hard to cope with lots of bad reviews, but still, people may actually tell you that there's something wrong with the game.

Again, it's simply impossible. No matter how much you try not to, you will be biased to some extent.

Thing is, when I release my own game, I know there will probably be people that would shit on it for their own reasons. The same as there certainly will be guys who'll just say "it's perfect, wow, straight to top 10 of all time". Fun fact is that no matter how bad your game is, there will be guys who either review it 4-5/5 or just write how great and awesome it is in the game discussion. Or at least "it's not good, but muh potential, so 5/5". This simply amuses me.

P.S. looked at your game and laughed a bit at you liking all but non-5-star reviews.
Good luck with your game, HO_Dude. :)

HopesGaming

The Godfather
Game Developer
Dec 21, 2017
My personal experience it's the other way around.

The positive reviews are the one that is lengthy and constructive as even with a 4-5 star rating they can address something they dislike or want to be improved.

My negative reviews are mostly the same. Toxic and complains about the lack of sex.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

The grind he is talking about is the story of my story-based adult game. Nothing constructive about it. Basically, since the game is not made for his own preference the game deserves a low rating. Nothing about the quality of the content.

Harsh first part, but alas, it's just his opinion and can't fault him for that. Granted he say it like it is a fact instead of an opinion but again, easy to ignore. But there is nothing constructive about it. The majority of my player base likes the exact thing he dislikes so there is nothing that can be changed.

The second part is just straight up an attack on me as a developer (he also wrote comments about people should not support me). So yeah, again. Nothing constructive either.

Normal opinion-based review. Low star which sucks but the guy was civilized in his review and nothing wrong with it. But as a constructive review? Nothing can be taken from it.

--------

And these are just the latest low reviews. But majority of them are just the same.
Basically dislike for too much story in my story-based game and lack of sex. But have yet to find even ONE low rating review that was constructive and useful.

So, personally, I have zero use for the low reviews and it's just people venting their anger towards the game from my point of view. Which is fine (as long as they keep it civil)

Now, the positive reviews on the other hand are full of constructive comments

Now, as you can clearly see, there is a difference in how in-depth, how much worth, and how much constructive there is in this review alone (honestly, could gather up all the negative review and still would not match the length and constructiveness of this review).

Lots of other reviews such as those (just look at the review section and the first page will clearly show that).

So yeah, basically, I don't care about the low reviews. They tell me nothing beside the personality of the reviewer. Have yet to see one respectable low reviewer that would make me go "Hm, he/she has a point".
Oddly enough, it's the high reviewers that make me go "That makes sense, a good idea, ah I like that".

I think it is because people that give low reviews have no desire for the game to be improved. They just want to have an outlet to let out their anger for a game that is not made for their own liking.

People that like the game, on the other hand, want to see it improved and give great feedback.

HO_Dude

Jan 15, 2019
Basically, since the game is not made for his own preference the game deserves a low rating. Nothing about the quality of the content.
Mentioned it before, so briefly: he's not wrong. Humans will always be biased, and if he didn't genuinely like it — he didn't like it. Nobody stops him from expressing his own opinion, which he did by reviewing the game and pointing out why exactly he didn't like it. You don't decide the quality of your game, the players do.

But as a constructive review? Nothing can be taken from it
Let's be honest, no matter how funny this might sound to you: I actually agree with some of the "low-star" quotes you've given here. Your dialogue sometimes is cringeworthy, "the bald guy at the end of the detention" (and that whole scene, for that matter) being the perfect example. It might be hard to admit, but that's how at least some people (including me) view it, and scenes like that are actually why I'm not gonna go back to reading your VN, despite liking Luna and actually being engaged in the story (I guess I dropped it around 0.04?). When the characters talk like they're from a kids' action movie, I know it's definitely not for me. From the start, your VN gives off a kinda grim impression and creates an atmosphere to match it, mixing it with light slice-of-life comedy, which is generally good, but it shouldn't just go over the top and become some kind of shonen anime. To me, it looks like at some point you lost that subtle (or not so subtle) line between fitting comedy and childish pathetic lines like: "I did the unthinkable. I touched his hat" "what?! are you crazy?! you've literally touched his hat?!" (or whatever the big trigger for the sniper dude was, quote of course not 100% correct, but I'm sure it had pretty much the same idea). These moments break the established atmosphere and interfere with immersion.

I know since I'm not your patron and all, you probably won't even take note of any word that I'm saying here. That's your right, of course, and nobody's denying it. But what should be hard to deny is that people can actually have opinions that differ from your own. I agree, making personal attacks against the dev is wrong, and no matter how I myself would trash some really bad game, I'd rather not say anything towards the developer simply based on his game's quality.

I think it is because people that give low reviews have no desire for the game to be improved. They just want to have an outlet to let out their anger for a game that is not made for their own liking.
...or maybe you just don't want to hear them. Look at me, for example. I like to do reviews on stuff that has high review score, but I dislike for reasons. Take WVM, for example. Sometimes I simply review bad games, because I played them and want to warn others. And sometimes, when the game is bad (from my pov) but can be fixed, I try to show the dev where he's done wrong. And to be honest, at that point I don't care much what the dev does with that info. My job there is done, can come back half a year later and see if anything's improved. If not — then whatever.
Speaking about the 5-star review that you've mentioned — well, the guy talked a lot about flaws, but still gave 5/5. Congrats.

But what I'm saying is that you at this point look like someone who has a bit of a hard time taking critisizm. Again, it's your right and all, but bruh. Calling something clearly pointing out problems "unconstructive" because you refuse to admit the flaw is just immature.

P.S. Now look at how much effort I've spent into making a negative feedback for you (which isn't even a review, because I've not even talked much about the game, just a single aspect and briefly mentioned the others) and tell me that I'm simply toxic.

Last edited:

HopesGaming

The Godfather
Game Developer
Dec 21, 2017
Mentioned it before, so briefly: he's not wrong. Humans will always be biased, and if he didn't genuinely like it — he didn't like it. Nobody stops him from expressing his own opinion, which he did by reviewing the game and pointing out why exactly he didn't like it. You don't decide the quality of your game, the players do.

Let's be honest, no matter how funny this might sound to you: I actually agree with some of the "low-star" quotes you've given here. Your dialogue sometimes is cringeworthy, "the bald guy at the end of the detention" (and that whole scene, for that matter) being the perfect example. It might be hard to admit, but that's how at least some people (including me) view it, and scenes like that are actually why I'm not gonna go back to reading your VN, despite liking Luna and actually being engaged in the story (I guess I dropped it around 0.04?). When the characters talk like they're from a kids' action movie, I know it's definitely not for me. From the start, your VN gives off a kinda grim impression and creates an atmosphere to match it, mixing it with light slice-of-life comedy, which is generally good, but it shouldn't just go over the top and become some kind of shonen anime. To me, it looks like at some point you lost that subtle (or not so subtle) line between fitting comedy and childish pathetic lines like: "I did the unthinkable. I touched his hat" "what?! are you crazy?! you've literally touched his hat?!" (or whatever the big trigger for the sniper dude was, quote of course not 100% correct, but I'm sure it had pretty much the same idea).

I know since I'm not your patron and all, you probably won't even take note of any word that I'm saying here. That's your right, of course, and nobody's denying it. But what should be hard to deny is that people can actually have opinions that differ from your own. I agree, making personal attacks against the dev is wrong, and no matter how I myself would trash some really bad game, I'd rather not say anything towards the developer simply based on his game's quality.

...or maybe you just don't want to hear them. Look at me, for example. I like to do reviews on stuff that has high review score, but I dislike for reasons. Take WVM, for example. Sometimes I simply review bad games, because I played them and want to warn others. And sometimes, when the game is bad (from my pov) but can be fixed, I try to show the dev where he's done wrong. And to be honest, at that point I don't care much what the dev does with that info. My job there is done, can come back half a year later and see if anything's improved. If not — then whatever.
Speaking about the 5-star review that you've mentioned — well, the guy talked a lot about flaws, but still gave 5/5. Congrats.

But what I'm saying is that you at this point look like someone who has a bit of a hard time taking critisizm. Again, it's your right and all, but bruh. Calling something clearly pointing out problems "unconstructive" because you refuse to admit the flaw is just immature.

P.S. Now look at how much effort I've spent into making a negative feedback for you (which isn't even a review, because I've not even talked much about the game, just a single aspect and briefly mentioned the others) and tell me that I'm simply toxic.
The thing you and many low reviewers tend to neglect is what the majority thinks of the game. I've noticed a pattern of (my view is the only view, other people are wrong) in many of these kinds of reviews.

Sure, you may think my dialogue can be cringeworthy, kids talk, crazy talk, and so on. That may all well be true as well. But, that's the style of the game and what makes the game a success (and hence it's not a problem as you keep trying to make it sound like it is). So, I as a dev need to look at what you and the low reviewers write. Now I need to take into account- "Should I listen to the 99% who enjoys the style or should I change the core of the game for the few that hates it?"

And that's my point with the pattern. The review and your comment do not take account for the content or quality of the game and what its meant to be, but rather you want it changed due to your own personal dislike and likes ignoring the current majority that already likes it.

But what I'm saying is that you at this point look like someone who has a bit of a hard time taking criticism. Again, it's your right and all, but bruh. Calling something clearly pointing out problems "unconstructive" because you refuse to admit the flaw is just immature.
This part is ridiculous, to be honest. I clearly showed you why it's not constructive and why it's not really a problem yet you call me immature for it? Again the problems are what have made my game a success. How can that equals being a problem is something I would never understand.

Instead of attacking you should look inwards and ask yourself;
"If this game is doing well, the majority like the things I dislike, maybe the things I dislike are not actually problems and hence my review is not constructive?"

But low reviewers can never have such a self-reflection as they usually see themselves as above the rest. 'My view is the only view'

No offense, but that is the only logical way of looking at it.

Lockheart

Donor
Game Developer
Jan 8, 2019
You asked how to review games and two developers responded with reasonable requests. We ask that you review a game constructively and as objectively as you can. I don't understand why you're so passionately disagreeing. You can write reviews however you'd like.

When you release your own game, you'll understand what HopesGaming and I are talking about. It's hard reading hateful reviews on something you've worked so passionately on for months, but doubly so when they don't even make sense. You'll see.

"If this game is doing well, the majority like the things I dislike, maybe the things I dislike are not actually problems and hence my review is not constructive?"
Exactly. I couldn't have said it better myself.

And I don't have a Patreon yet but if I did, I'd still take every review seriously. I'd wager most developers do. Passionate story-tellers aren't writing strictly to make a buck, we're trying to inspire and entertain. We want everyone to enjoy our work. So please don't say your review won't be taken seriously just because you're not giving us money. Your review absolutely matters!

moudy

Mar 2, 2017
So, my questions to you are: how do you approach reviewing the games yourselves; how much do reviews influence your choice of games; what kinds of reviews do you like/dislike to read or to note if you're a dev?
Personally I review games that catch my interest alot and tickle my own fetishes (Domination (from the MC perspective), bdsm, pregnancy and if choices matter) (There are a few more but let's keep it within reasonable reading limit :p ).

The only reason why I started doing reviews in the first place was because I got tired of devs promising this and that and then never got anywhere or just post small updates where the story goes nowhere.

The way I do it (or rather did it... haven't done a review in a loooooong time) was I categorize it into 5 groups and rate each group seperately.

Story x/5 <- I admit, I hate games that are too story heavy but you want some sort of story at least, not just excuse for a sex scene
Dialog choices x/5 <- Me personally love dialog choices that have an actual meaning. But that can quickly go a slippery slope if you have a choice that has it's only purpose to go to the game over screen
Sexual Content+spelling x/5 <- Even though I'm not a native English speaker, you still want to be able to at least understand the meaning of what is being said story wise. Sexual content should be self explanitory
Domination/bdsm x/5 <- I love playing as the dominant person, doesn't matter if it's a male of female protag, just as long as I can dominate other people. Sometimes you do not play as the dominant person but you have other aspects to cover instead of it, like rape, bdsm etc. Those can be just as good if done WELL
Pregnancy x/5 <- I miss games that have you build a small harem of girls and your only goal is just to impregnate them over and over. But at least if the game has pregnancy in it, it could get some points for it.

After that I just find out the total percent of the scores and turn that into stars. That's why my ratings usually have this in them:

Overall this means that this game gets X points out of 25, resulting in YY% or Z stars.

My star system:
0-20% -> 1 star
20-40% -> 2 star
40-60% -> 3 star
60-80% -> 4 star
80-100% -> 5 star

But then again... this is just how I do things. Feel free to take inspirations from this and create your own. Good luck with your reviews.

kytee

Dec 17, 2018
I have extremely high standards when compared to other reviewers on this site, so I tend not to write reviews because it'll definitely come off as pretentious. I also refrain from writing reviews because established developers are extremely unlikely to listen to the feedback that I'm giving (99% vs 1%, as the above mentions) and I think it's a bit of a disservice if I convince others that a game they thought they enjoyed was actually shit. I do write critiques for newer games that are still malleable, in hopes that I can sway some developers to adopt higher standards for themselves. Sometimes it works, other times my critique just gets drowned out by people praising the dev or talking shit.

HO_Dude

Jan 15, 2019
The thing you and many low reviewers tend to neglect is what the majority thinks of the game
Why do I need to take into account what others think when I'm expressing my opinion? It's my review, not theirs. In their review they may take a dump on your game or praise it like you're a saint — if my opinion is worth at least something to me, I wouldn't give a damn. The review can be a dialogue of a dev and the reviewer, not between two reviewers.

And the whole "low reviewers" term that you've come up with is ridiculous in its nature. So anybody who can make a low-rating review is bad in your eyes? Or only those who give negative score to your game?

Oh, and here comes the fun part.
First you say:
I've noticed a pattern of (my view is the only view, other people are wrong)
But low reviewers can never have such a self-reflection as they usually see themselves as above the rest. 'My view is the only view'
But then you say:
but that is the only logical way of looking at it
Basically doing the same thing you condemn "low-reviewers" for. "They are wrong for taking their opinions as objective truth, but I'm okay with doing the same, because I am right and apply to LoGiC". Please.

yet you call me immature for it?
I call you immature because you, as I've noticed, like to put an "unconstructive" label on anything that doesn't agree with your pov.
Again, what I see. A guy says: "I dislike this game, because reasons". He lists the reasons why he dislikes it. What's unconstructive about it?
Let's go back to the first guy you've quoted. He clearly said why he disliked it: the visuals, the grind, which you for some reason call the story, ignoring the fact that there actually is the grind in your game with missions, money and exp. Yes, he disliked it, and I myself don't agree with his reasons. But it is his opinion. While I totally understand why you don't care about it, you shouldn't mock him for expressing an opinion and tell "well, he's unconstructive, because he didn't praise the game at all".

that's the style of the game and what makes the game a success
the problems are what have made my game a success
No, I disagree. I believe that other things made your game a success, but that's just my opinion, of course. Likeable characters, unusual setting, great visuals, story maybe. Definitely not cringy dialogue. Or are you implying that if you're successful, your game is flawless? No, it isn't. In fact, none of the games here (or in the world) are flawless. Even my much-loved BaDIK has its flaws, yet they're heavily outweighted by positive parts. And the fact that you get all aggressive at any critisizm towards your game only further convinces me that you simply can't take it. Again — it's your choice, your right. But there's always room for improvement, and you're fool if you'll try to deny it. Your game is mostly good as well — just not for me, because those conversations. But what I'm trying to say is: if you listened to me or those people who disliked the dialogue and improved it somehow — maybe you'd be even more successful? Maybe you'd have even more people playing your game? And that's what I actually try to tell you: if reviewers try to tell you something through review, maybe it's at least worth reading and taking note, instead of simply dismissing it as useless info. And if it's something that's easily improvable, maybe it's worth improving to gain even more audience?

It's hard reading hateful reviews on something you've worked so passionately on for months, but doubly so when they don't even make sense
Nah, we're not even discussing those. If the review doesn't explain why it gives its score, it's deemed actually unconstructive, with which I agree.

Lockheart

Donor
Game Developer
Jan 8, 2019
But what I'm trying to say is: if you listened to me or those people who disliked the dialogue and improved it somehow — maybe you'd be even more successful?
I've tried that. I changed my game to please negative reviewers and then those that actually enjoyed my game the way it was changed their review to negative because of the change. And the negative reviewers never adjust their reviews because they don't play your game again. So if you're a reviewer, I think you have a responsibility to play each update in order to give a fair score. Having a few one-star reviews early on that never go away is really harsh. And if you want people to take your reviews seriously, you can't play it, hate it and leave. Then why would I change it for you? You're never going to give me another chance. A lesson I'm still learning and one I think that experienced developers have probably already learned. And it's probably why you don't feel like your negative reviews make an impact.

You can't win, Dude. You please some, you displease others. But it would be nice if your game was praised or criticized fairly based on what you, the writer, is trying to accomplish. I don't put pregnancy or domination in my game so if someone were to review it based on those criteria, I'd get bad reviews. But if people were to review it based on romance and humor, it'd get four and five star reviews. That's why I don't like the negative reviews on my game. One person was displeased it was written in third person but my goal, as the writer, was to tell multiple people's stories. So, again, you can't rate a chicken negatively because it's not a duck. It's just silly.

HO_Dude

Jan 15, 2019
I've tried that. I changed my game to please negative reviewers and then those that actually enjoyed my game the way it was changed their review to negative because of the change.
You can't win, Dude. You please some, you displease others.
I know that. What I'm trying to say is that one shouldn't dismiss opinions by default. Because those reviewers can say something useful.
Let's imagine a hypothetical situation: I'm making a traditional VN without any sandbox elements. So, my first release comes out, and there are 2, say, 2/5 reviews, both constructive and clearly defining their points.
But 1st says, among other things: "I dislike it because it's just a VN with no gameplay". The other says: "I dislike it, because it incorrectly portrays some technical parts, (say, the way a firearm works)". So, do I remake the game mechanics and add sandbox into it to please the first guy? Hell no, it's not worth the trouble. But can I actually re-render a couple scenes and rewrite a couple dialogue lines to more accurately portray the use of a firearm to please the firearm enthusiasts? That I can actually do, and I'm certain that nobody would hate it. So, of course I'm not saying that you should try to please everyone — and never said it. Once again, I simply mean that you simply shouldn't put yoursel above people you disagree with — in this case, reviewers, who can point out the problems within your game that you can actually improve.

HopesGaming

The Godfather
Game Developer
Dec 21, 2017
Why do I need to take into account what others think
Because when you make a review you have to review the game for what it is (and is meant to be) and not for "man I wish the game was like this"
It'd be the same as going into a restaurant and complaining about why they are not selling clothes. It's ridiculous.

So anybody who can make a low-rating review is bad in your eyes? Or only those who give negative score to your game?
Nope. If they actually say something constructive then I'll respect them. No matter the review score.
But if they do as you and only point out what is loved by the community as something bad then I facepalm and ask myself what is wrong with this dude.

I call you immature because you, as I've noticed, like to put an "unconstructive" label on anything that doesn't agree with your pov.
It's a bit weird here. Since I pretty much made a long comment on WHY it was not constrictive yet you completely skipped that?
Maybe you didn't understand (nothing wrong with that) so let me try to make it a bit more clear;

Douchebag Reviewer "I TIS HATE! U MUST CHANGE! I SAYH SO!"
The majority of the players "But we like this..."
Doucebag Reviewer "Na, bro. I'm right you're wrong."

Can you see now? It is a made-up 'problem' and hence not constructive as it can't be used for anything.
It's fine that you and the reviewer dislike something. But if you point out things that are liked by the community then how is it constructive in my eyes? How can it help improve anything?

To clarify, I'm not saying you are a Douchebag Reviewer or anyone spefic for that matter. It is just a made up thing for the sake of a made up review.

No, I disagree. I believe that other things made your game a success, but that's just my opinion, of course. Likeable characters, unusual setting, great visuals, story maybe. Definitely not cringy dialogue. Or are you implying that if you're successful, your game is flawless? No, it isn't. In fact, none of the games here (or in the world) are flawless. Even my much-loved BaDIK has its flaws, yet they're heavily outweighted by positive parts. And the fact that you get all aggressive at any critisizm towards your game only further convinces me that you simply can't take it. Again — it's your choice, your right. But there's always room for improvement, and you're fool if you'll try to deny it. Your game is mostly good as well — just not for me, because those conversations. But what I'm trying to say is: if you listened to me or those people who disliked the dialogue and improved it somehow — maybe you'd be even more successful? Maybe you'd have even more people playing your game? And that's what I actually try to tell you: if reviewers try to tell you something through review, maybe it's at least worth reading and taking note, instead of simply dismissing it as useless info. And if it's something that's easily improvable, maybe it's worth improving to gain even more audience?
Do you think? How about the dev that has followed his game since day one, would he not know a thing or two about what makes his game a success or not? I've read ALL the comments on the thread (all the several thousand) all the discord chats (I got over 3k members so a lot of feedback from there as well).
Do you not think I have an idea of what makes my game successful and not?

The wacky diagloue and characters is what my game is known for. It's a bit weird how you can try and contest this against me... I'm pretty sure you do not have any interest in my game that you would follow it as I have done.

Or are you implying that if you're successful, your game is flawless? No, it isn't. In fact, none of the games here (or in the world) are flawless. Even my much-loved BaDIK has its flaws, yet they're heavily outweighted by positive parts. And the fact that you get all aggressive at any critisizm towards your game only further convinces me that you simply can't take it. Again — it's your choice, your right. But there's always room for improvement, and you're fool if you'll try to deny it. Your game is mostly good as well — just not for me, because those conversations.
Absolutely not. I'll be the first one to say how faulty my game is. I've always said that. About BaDIK, Pink is a personal friend of mine and I would always see his game above my own.

BUT, that does not change the fact that I am not blind either. I do not let the few loudmouths deter me for what is right and wrong. That is also why I wrote I found it odd that the positive reviews were the ones that truly found the flaws in the game while the bad reviews were the ones repeating nonproblems as problems.

I am not aggressive at all. Discussing bad and good reviews, especially by two opposing opinions, will always be as such. I just think you are not used to the devs responding to your negativity and hence you're very defensive.
Lower your guard. I will always stay civil in a discussion. Harsh at times, but civil.

But what I'm trying to say is: if you listened to me or those people who disliked the dialogue and improved it somehow — maybe you'd be even more successful? Maybe you'd have even more people playing your game? And that's what I actually try to tell you: if reviewers try to tell you something through review, maybe it's at least worth reading and taking note, instead of simply dismissing it as useless info. And if it's something that's easily improvable, maybe it's worth improving to gain even more audience?
As I mentioned previously, I read EVERY review and EVERY comment. I do not read blindly and I've learned so incredibly much from this community. So much has changed from my game and so much has been added due to the comments and the constructive reviews.
But, if I changed something that was liked by the majority due to a few loudmouths; it would be suicide for my project.
It'd be like removing all the movies in a cinema because one or two guys said they think it would be better if the room were used as a zoo instead.

The dialogue is what made people love the game. It what created some of the personalities that made people love the game.

---
I DO agree with some of the things you say.
dismissing people automatically is foolish. You have to read and listen to people's complaints.

But as a dev, you have to be careful to not destroy your own game by listening to the wrong advice.
And I have yet to receive one good advice from a negative review. Anyone could quote as many negative reviews as they could and I could reply and give a reason as to why it would be bad all day long.

RedPillBlues

I Want to Rock your Body (To the Break of Dawn)
Donor
Jun 5, 2017
Honestly there's few things I hate more then high rated reviews that say absolutely nothing about the quality of the game.

Lockheart

Donor
Game Developer
Jan 8, 2019
But can I actually re-render a couple scenes and rewrite a couple dialogue lines to more accurately portray the use of a firearm to please the firearm enthusiasts?
First, I have never had a review so terrible over a few renders. And I have gone back and redone a lot of renders because of complaints. In fact, I'm happy to do it. I consider my game in beta while I'm developing and feedback has been essential for quality. But those that had a problem with a few renders didn't give me a 2 star review, they simply mentioned it in the comments.

Reviews tend to be, and should be, about the game as a whole. One of my favorites games was Where The Heart Is. Now, I could go through and pick it apart bit by bit and find a tremendous amount of things I think are poorly done. But I don't do that, I look at it as a whole. I enjoyed my experience despite its flaws. If I were to review it, I might mention some of the flaws but it's a five star game. I loved it.

And that's what HopesGaming and I are talking about. My negative reviews aren't beneficial to myself or to my audience. They give a false sense of what you can expect when playing my VN. Now, if someone were to rate my game a three star and say "There's too much jumping around between renders and it's making me dizzy." Yup! I didn't use dissolve enough and I totally agree. Happy to go back and fix that now that I have that knowledge. But I don't get low scores that are constructive like that.

Douchebag Reviewer "I TIS HATE! U MUST CHANGE! I SAYH SO!"
The majority of the players "But we like this..."
Doucebag Reviewer "Na, bro. I'm right you're wrong."
This. Haha. This is pretty much an exact summary of 90% of low scores on popular games.

Honestly there's few things I hate more then high rated reviews that say absolutely nothing about the quality of the game.
I can mostly agree with this. I think it's important that if you're going to review a game, it should be relatively detailed. People look at reviews to get a sense of what to expect in the game.

And I have yet to receive one good advice from a negative review.
And I've actually hurt my game by listening to some of the negative reviewers.

HopesGaming

The Godfather
Game Developer
Dec 21, 2017
And I've actually hurt my game by listening to some of the negative reviewers.
That is why I heavily advise new devs to be careful when listening to negative reviews.
Yes, don't dismiss it. Listen to all the comments and reviews.
But don't be afraid just because the negative voice is a bit loud.

If 90/100 reviewers point out something as a problem- then usually it IS a problem.
If 10/100 reviewers point out something as a problem- then usually it is NOT a problem.

RedPillBlues

I Want to Rock your Body (To the Break of Dawn)
Donor
Jun 5, 2017
I can mostly agree with this. I think it's important that if you're going to review a game, it should be relatively detailed. People look at reviews to get a sense of what to expect in the game.
Its not such a issue on games with few reviews, but on threads like Being a Dik, where a good third of the reviews are just such low quality, is it really worth letting reviews that obviously struggle to reach the word limit stay? It's a slippery slope though. If you universally increase the quality requirement for reviews, then threads that aren't as popular and only have a few reviews might end up having none. Those that don't have any are even more likely to stay that way. Maybe a rule that only applies to threads with more then X amount could work, but then there's issues with that as well.