Your Game Review is Bad

3.00 star(s) 2 Votes

Bondage Queen

Jun 25, 2018
Clickbait title, but seriously, why are there so many TERRIBLE reviews?

Like, okay, you like the art and the kinks. That's not a reason to give a game five stars!! And then this guy didn't like the way certain kinks were handled, so he's giving the game 1-2 stars. Are you fucking serious? And then this guy played the 0.1 alpha version of the game for a few minutes and decided it's sexy so he gives it 5 stars. That's not how you review games you damn Neanderthal!

I'm not saying you have to write a whole essay on the pros and cons of the game, and I'm not saying you have to compare h-games to the best quality non h-games because that's unfair. All I'm saying is, the next time you're reviewing a game that's right up your alley in terms of h-content, take a step back and ask yourself "If I wasn't that into these kinks, would this game have any merit?"

And for the love of God, can we stop dropping high star reviews on games that barely have any content? If I have to read one more 5 star review on a v0.1 game because it 'has promise,' I'm going to flip out.

/rant

russianbot

Oct 28, 2022
And then this guy didn't like the way certain kinks were handled, so he's giving the game 1-2 stars.
No, that's perfectly legitimate. If you're just going to talk about the art, then that's obviously out of line because I can see the art for myself in preview images. I don't need to read a review to decide for myself if I like the art, but I do need a review to decide if I'm going to like the fetishes because the tags alone tell me virtually nothing about them.

If you really want to improve reviews, then the first step should be increasing the character count limit. I know brevity is the soul of wit, but 200 characters is pathetic.

Last edited:

baneini

Jun 28, 2017
Only way I could think of encouraging better reviews is having some strict template with sections you need to fill out.
Like "Is this game promising and does it have potential? yes/no"
And "Are you the devs alt account to give this 0.1 alpha a 5/5 rating? y/n"
Maybe "Are the stock daz3d assets really hot? y/n"
Or "Were the mandatory clothing shop, bathroom peek, yoga and massage scenes implemented to match the rigorous standards of modern renpy games? y/n"

BianTheGreat

Jan 3, 2021
It's funny I often like to come up with really long reviews in my head for h games but I never had any intention to write them down, and also, reviews on this site are bulshit. CoC 2 has like 3.3 stars. It's a great game in my opinion. Is the developer putting way too much futa and trap content? Yeah he is. But the writing is decent and sometimes great (and sometimes not but hey, multiple people are writing the script and for every bad scene there is at least 6 more that you will like better. Gameplaywise it's also one of the best, lots off loot, every single item serves a purpose. And the worldbuilding Is incredible as well, corrupted forest of course classic h game location but then you have the frozen marches, a big capital in the middle of it. A valley near a river, lots of uniqe locations that often have a side quest related to it. Like 100 characters Also with their own story. I may be biased, I may be wrong, but I really like this game and i feel it dosen't deserve the average rating of 3 stars, i never read the reviews but one thing i learned is to never look at the rating. Play it, make your own opinion and have fun jerking off to fictional characters.

Bondage Queen

Jun 25, 2018
Honestly I think there should just be a little read me thing everyone has to read the first time they try to leave a review. Just have it say basic things like 'don't give a game 5 stars just because you like the art' and 'don't give a game 1 star because it has NTR and you didn't realize.'

♍VoidTraveler

Forum Fanatic
Apr 14, 2021
Honestly I think there should just be a little read me thing everyone has to read the first time they try to leave a review. Just have it say basic things like 'don't give a game 5 stars just because you like the art' and 'don't give a game 1 star because it has NTR and you didn't realize.'
Won't do jack shit, they won't even bother reading those.
Need to handpick people who you know will do a good job, and let those people do that job. :whistle::coffee:

Atemsiel

Developer of Stormside
Game Developer
Jan 4, 2022
At least it's better here than it is on itch. I got my first straight up bad review there the other day, and all it said was.

+Art

-3rd person

2/5

Like bruhh.. What do I do with this information? What does a potential player do with this information? Do they assume it's a fully 3rd person game? Do they assume the score is entirely based on these two points, or was there something else the guy didn't like?

Who knows... The reviews here are often based on potential rather than what the game is at the time of the review, but damn, at least people here tend to say more than the itch crowd.

Last edited:

Grotslot

Game Developer
Apr 21, 2022
It's crazy how some folks will give a game five stars just because it's got their favorite kinks in it, without any mention that the actual experience or story is hot garbage. And then you've got people giving games 1-2 stars just because they didn't like how one specific kink was handled, but the story is so gripping and original!

I've found that it helps to read through a bunch of reviews before deciding to play a game. It can be a ball ache sifting through the simps, but you usually get a good idea of whether the reviews are actually giving a fair judgement or just fanboying/fangirling over their favorite fetishes.

I prefer games that prioritize story over catering to specific kinks as fan service (looking at you red head virgin freckled girl who never knew cocks existed until you showed them yours). It's great when games can strike a balance between both, but I've definitely come across games that felt like they were just stringing together fetish scenes without any real thought given to plot or character development and the 5* reviews tend to lean towards the latter.

Without a stricter review policy, all we can do is hope more people start taking reviews seriously and give games a fair, honest, and constructive shake!

One can dream! :HideThePain:

Reactions: Bondage Queen

F4C430

Dec 4, 2018
If only they had thought of that, but made it always there so that you never forget...

1680583929310.png

Bondage Queen

Jun 25, 2018
If only they had thought of that, but made it always there so that you never forget...

View attachment 2519290
Well I never noticed it, which means a big portion of other people didn't either. Just saying.

Another idea - include a 'this review was helpful' and 'this review was not helpful' button that other people can click. And then display the ratio of helpful review to non-helpful reviews to the side of everyone's review.

whizwart

Apr 11, 2022
On the one hand, I agree completly, its frustrating tryiing to get a clear idea what the concenses is when its all over the place. On the other hand, end of the day.....its a pirate site. Better organized and ethical than others, but still a pirate site. Expecting uniformity is a losing battle.

NeonSelf

Dec 3, 2019
I would like for reviews to have mandatory part and free comments section.

Mandatory points will be someting like these:
Game Version - Outdated reviews may be irrerlevant. Its good to know, what version was reviewed.
Your Play Duration - How many hours you spent in this game. Doesnt matter if it was a single run or you replayed it many times. Obviously more is better. And if you dropped some long boring game in the middle - you measure your own time in game, not its planned duration.
VN-Gameplay Ratio - This shows % of clicks in game you have to make to skip text messages compared to making actions or decisions in dialogs.
Completeness - Players have no idea, what is actually planned in next updates, so this section measures current content. This can be a % of times you ran into bugs, missing images, dev messages like "will be soon" on some doors or buttons etc. Does it ended on a cliffhanger?

Last edited:

hakarlman

Engaged Member
Jul 30, 2017
I applaud the OP's direct, aggressive, guerilla style approach.

"If I wasn't that into these kinks, would this game have any merit?"
Hmm, this part is good. I will keep this in mind.

morphnet

Aug 3, 2017
And for the love of God, can we stop dropping high star reviews on games that barely have any content? If I have to read one more 5 star review on a v0.1 game because it 'has promise,' I'm going to flip out.

/rant
Why are you even reading 0.1 reviews? Just try it out yourself?
What where you expecting from a 0.1 review? There is not enough content to rate it on anything other than if it has promise or not, it's missing almost all it's content because it's 0.1.

• Thinking Face
Reactions: ♍VoidTraveler

Deleted member 440241

Feb 14, 2018
Well I never noticed it, which means a big portion of other people didn't either. Just saying.

Another idea - include a 'this review was helpful' and 'this review was not helpful' button that other people can click. And then display the ratio of helpful review to non-helpful reviews to the side of everyone's review.
Likes already kind of serve this purpose minus the user ratio. The more likes a review has the more people agreed with or found the review helpful. If you look at the filters for the latest updates page, under "Sorting" is a little star that organizes games by weighted rating. This weighted rating takes into account the number of likes positive and negative reviews got. So something with a few 5 star reviews that say "game has potential" with no likes on the reviews will be treated as lower rated than a game that has some negative reviews but a bunch of well liked 5 star reviews.

Reactions: F4C430

Meaning Less

Engaged Member
Sep 13, 2016
If you look at the filters for the latest updates page, under "Sorting" is a little star that organizes games by weighted rating. This weighted rating takes into account the number of likes positive and negative reviews got. So something with a few 5 star reviews that say "game has potential" with no likes on the reviews will be treated as lower rated than a game that has some negative reviews but a bunch of well liked 5 star reviews.
I don't think likes affect the reviews at all, review likes just help the reader that wants to find more popular reviews.

From my understanding the weighted rating just considers how many reviews a game has received in total, meaning 5 star games that just have 1/2 review are going to be behind in the list when compared with games that have tons of reviews even if the average happens to be a bit lower.

3.00 star(s) 2 Votes