Ren'Py You can play 'PC only' Ren'py games on Mac

NumbChucker

Aug 26, 2021
I can't believe this is common knowledge due to the amount of games this applies to.

This also applies for games that for any reason have a delayed Mac update because for some reason that happens. You can go between Mac and PC and have no issues with saves.

1. Download the actual Ren'Py app and extract: . The SDK tar is what I used in case the others for some reason don't work. Move the file anywhere other than downloads or applications.

2. Drag any games you want into the Ren'Py Folder.

3. Open the the renpy application from inside the folder (this one)
Screenshot 2021-09-20 at 12.06.57 pm.png

If it's being a pain in the ass and refusing to open because of apple's dumb security shit then:
2.a Open terminal
2.b Type xattr -cr and drag the renpy app into the terminal.
2.c Press enter, it should look this:
Screenshot 2021-09-20 at 12.29.12 pm.png
2.d Should open now.

4. The game/s should be displayed on the left side of the window in which you should be able to click on it and click launch project.

Tell me if any of this doesn't work for you.

Screenshot 2021-09-20 at 12.37.47 pm.png
I could probably make a similar tutorial for RPGM games. They work nearly perfectly and I assume the main issue that occasionally causes crashes is that RPGM is already unstable in the first place.

Last edited:

Machinist

Game Developer
Aug 24, 2020
It's the same code for pc and MAC (inside RenPy, I mean). That's why you almost never see a game without a MAC version, it's just one click away. It's the same when a fan makes an android port of a game, sometime the dev don't want to mess with the java sdk, but it's not too complicated to do it as well.

NumbChucker

Aug 26, 2021
It's the same code for pc and MAC (inside RenPy, I mean). That's why you almost never see a game without a MAC version, it's just one click away. It's the same when a fan makes an android port of a game, sometime the dev don't want to mess with the java sdk, but it's not too complicated to do it as well.
Yeah it's weird because from my experience about 25% don't have a Mac version including some big ones. Or they have delayed releases.

RDude47

Jul 23, 2020
Thanks a lot - this is really helpful.
Is there by any chance something similar for Unity games? They're way worse in supporting Mac in the first place.

• Hey there
Reactions: shivatrance

shivatrance

Apr 27, 2020
Thanks a lot - this is really helpful.
Is there by any chance something similar for Unity games? They're way worse in supporting Mac in the first place.
I am curious about this too. I would love to know it there is a Unity app for Mac that we could play the Windows versions like Renpy.