Goopgoop

Sep 10, 2022
It takes like 2 minutes to catch up on this joke of a thread and type a forum post, how in the everloving fuck is that "LOTS of time"?
The post you just did? Sure. The rants he's been posting here for weeks, nah. I mean, you do you and he do his and all... but I don't like to spend that kind of effort on negativity. I reserve my negative emotions for non-trivial matters.

And before you try to flip it on me...I think trying to convince people to do the same is a reasonable use of some of my time but I'm probably gonna call it quits in a bit. Some people just live for that kinda negativity. But others are just stuck in a spiral. If I got through to anyone, cool. If I didn't, ahh well. I don't regret trying to help people "Awoosah" a bit. If nothing else I helped them vent some of their anger, right? :p

I'm a pretty positive thinker. Something has to be pretty severe for me to worry about it. I know what matters so I don't sweat the small stuff.

Goopgoop

Sep 10, 2022
No it's not, it's disappointment, and if there's one word that can sum up what has happened to BD and this game, I cant think of any better.
Disappointment is not a base emotion. Disappointment is made up of surprise and either anger, disgust or sadness. Since you're complaining about someone, it's anger or disgust.

If you can sum up the entire development process of WVM with "disappointment", then you clearly haven't been correctly adjusting your expectations. Otherwise there would be no surprise, and thus no disappointment.

And as I've alluded to in other conversations, it's unhealthy (and unproductive) to waste your anger or disgust on trivial things. It doesn't make your life better, in fact, focusing on negative things in your life that you have the power to cut yourself free from makes your life worse. And by default, anyone here who is angry about WVM's development has the power to cut it out of their lives and seek out new things that do make them happy.

I once bought pre-order No Man's Sky. When the game came out, it didn't have a lot of things it promised. But rather than get angry, I decided that game was not worth the money I spent on it or me getting pissed off. Instead, I uninstalled the game. Never played it again, even when there was some PR thing about how they fixed it years later. I learned not to pre-order video games unless I had confidence in the dev. I view Patreon in the same way. I don't pay for WVM. Never have. But I do keep an eye on new releases. Because it's a good game even if the dev's professionalism is lacking.

To me, that's the healthy way to look at it. And again, anyone is free to disagree. I've always said that it's subjective, I just shared my (rather easy-going) view on the situation to help other people see that it's all about how they choose to look at it.

hic86

Jul 24, 2022
The base emotion behind complaining is anger.
And taking joy in other people's (perceived*) failures is disdainful.

If it didn't matter to you you wouldn't be doing either of those things. You're negatively emotionally invested.

*sidenote: I doubt he sees WVM as a train wreck. If you sort the F95 game browser by likes, it takes the 11th spot. If that's a train wreck then 99% of all adult games are train wrecks.
Missing half or more of your release dates, ghosting your audience, and lying through your teeth on the regular, THAT makes it a train wreck.

Laughing about it is not taking joy in it necessarily. It's far healthier than getting upset about it. And I haven't complained yet IIRC.

You seem overly invested in it, to the extent of being willing to suck the ass of BD. It's cool you like the game, I'm glad you're excited, but making so many wrong assumptions of almost everyone you've been interacting with... at some point that is a you thing.

I don't want to see any dev struggle to keep their shit together. I can only imagine the effort that goes into most of these projects, but when you ban the people making criticism (from discord as an example), that won't be beneficial for anyone

Goopgoop

Sep 10, 2022
Again with the anger. What if it isnt anger? What if it's sadness instead since apparently everything boils down to a "base emotion"?
If it's sadness it's equally pointless. There are plenty more important things in the world to be sad about. If a dev is unprofessional, no amount of anger, disgust, sadness is going to change that. No amount of complaining is going to change that. There are people who come here week after week to complain. I can't understand that kind of negative emotional investment in any essentially-free content.

I wouldn't call BrainDrop professional either, but I get dogpiled for having a more lenient forgiving perspective. Now I'm not the type to let that bother me either, but the fact they're getting mad at me by association is pretty telling.

It just harshes the vibe of everyone who is positively engaged with the game to have to dig through pages of complaints just to read some useful information or interesting posts. Maybe it's worth considering creating a WVM hate thread so you can separate the groups. Then we can peacefully co-exist without having to bother each other.

preglovr12

Salt is a Way of Life
May 1, 2018
Now I'm not the type to let that bother me either, but the fact they're getting mad at me by association is pretty telling.
No one's getting mad at you, you're just the only one here defending BD and his horrible practices. I think you have an issue imprinting emotion on something/someone that has none. 95% of us here are apathetic, a bunch are former patrons as well, feeling that they got ripped off and come here to keep up with all the bullshit BDs slinging. A year or two ago you might've had a point, but now, this thread is pure catharsis.

hic86

Jul 24, 2022
I completely agree we should do this with everything even things irl. So no one has to hear an opinion that differs from their own.
Careful, someone may take you literally.... Gotta be sure to emphasize that you're just making a joke

jamdan

Forum Fanatic
Sep 28, 2018
If it's sadness it's equally pointless. There are plenty more important things in the world to be sad about. If a dev is unprofessional, no amount of anger, disgust, sadness is going to change that. No amount of complaining is going to change that. There are people who come here week after week to complain. I can't understand that kind of negative emotional investment in any essentially-free content.

I wouldn't call BrainDrop professional either, but I get dogpiled for having a more lenient forgiving perspective. Now I'm not the type to let that bother me either, but the fact they're getting mad at me by association is pretty telling.

It just harshes the vibe of everyone who is positively engaged with the game to have to dig through pages of complaints just to read some useful information or interesting posts. Maybe it's worth considering creating a WVM hate thread so you can separate the groups. Then we can peacefully co-exist without having to bother each other.
Initially, people are mad/angry/sad. But eventually, those feelings are replaced by indifference and they move on to other things.

The ones that do hang around do so because they either can't get over it, which is unhealthy as you say, or more likely are just shooting the breeze and screwing around. The same thing happens to many threads on here, when developers (either rightly or wrongly) get on peoples bad sides.

Unfortunately, it's hard for people who do still like the game / don't hate the dev to have a place in those threads. Threads that for the most part don't get moderated much if any after a certain point. So actually having more positive discussion, not getting made fun of when you post something positive and finding relevant information on a game can be very hard.

So the best you can do is to use your ignore list to manually filter out the more negative stuff. Or view it as people screwing around and fishing for likes and don't take them seriously.

TigerWolfe

Engaged Member
Oct 19, 2022
No one's getting mad at you, you're just the only one here defending BD and his horrible practices. I think you have an issue imprinting emotion on something/someone that has none. 95% of us here are apathetic, a bunch are former patrons as well, feeling that they got ripped off and come here to keep up with all the bullshit BDs slinging. A year or two ago you might've had a point, but now, this thread is pure catharsis.
You call saying someone is unprofessional, defending them, because dude doesn't want to read 17 treatises on how Braindrop is the worst thing since gulags, just to see if there's an update on the game.

The haters in this thread are so over the top that anyone saying, yes he sucks at his job have you considered not caring, gets accused of defending the dude and by extension called all kinds of insulting names.

And if that's what you as a mod want this thread to be then could we please get a no salt thread because I'd like to keep track when and if something does happen but having to read (or at least clear the constant notifications) through 57 posts everyday, instead of getting alerted when there's an actual update is super annoying.

TigerWolfe

Engaged Member
Oct 19, 2022
Initially, people are mad/angry/sad. But eventually, those feelings are replaced by indifference and they move on to other things.

The ones that do hang around do so because they either can't get over it, which is unhealthy as you say, or more likely are just shooting the breeze and screwing around. The same thing happens to many threads on here, when developers (either rightly or wrongly) get on peoples bad sides.

Unfortunately, it's hard for people who do still like the game / don't hate the dev to have a place in those threads. Threads that for the most part don't get moderated much if any after a certain point. So actually having more positive discussion, not getting made fun of when you post something positive and finding relevant information on a game can be very hard.

So the best you can do is to use your ignore list to manually filter out the more negative stuff. Or view it as people screwing around and fishing for likes and don't take them seriously.
You can't ignore mods and I'd rather not ignore devs who make games I follow, so this particular thread is a particularly irksome sticking point.

preglovr12

Salt is a Way of Life
May 1, 2018
And if that's what you as a mod want this thread to be then could we please get a no salt thread because I'd like to keep track when and if something does happen but having to read (or at least clear the constant notifications) through 57 posts everyday, instead of getting alerted when there's an actual update is super annoying.
Join his patreon and become a discord member.

TigerWolfe

Engaged Member
Oct 19, 2022
Join his patreon and become a discord member.
Ah yes pay the guy who I've already said I don't think is a reliable person, thats a great solution. I guess I'll just listen to you rant every few days as that's apparently the price that has to be paid to get access to this game on this board.

preglovr12

Salt is a Way of Life
May 1, 2018
Ah yes pay the guy who I've already said I don't think is a reliable person, thats a great solution. I guess I'll just listen to you rant every few days as that's apparently the price that has to be paid to get access to this game on this board.
You might notice near the top of the page there's two tabs for this game, one for reviews, and you may notice the other is "Discussion" not "News." If you want a pure news thread, why dont you make one?

TigerWolfe

Engaged Member
Oct 19, 2022
Until you see a new update in the latest updates page, just assume that nothing is going on in this thread and ignore it.
Honestly at this point its probably gonna just be an unwatch for me and I just poke my head in periodically when I think of it. It's not like I'm waiting on tenterhooks for the next update or something, but the constant negativity is just really harshing my vibe.

Goopgoop

Sep 10, 2022
It's almost as if people are not capable of multiple emotions at the same time..... This makes me sad, angry, and a bit surprised.

Is that allowed?
Nope. Do them sequentially. :p /s

It's not about how many emotions you can experience at the same time. It's about complex emotions being made up of base emotions and everything we are incentivized to do tying into how we feel (intrinsically or emotionally). There are a lot of possible variations. But that doesn't change the fact that all base emotions associated with disappointment are negative emotions.

The whole point of negative emotions is to incentivize us to fix, resolve or avoid something that negatively affect us. If you are repeatedly disappointed (whatever mix of sadness, anger or disgust it consists of) by the same thing, then your expectations are objectively wrong. Your disappointment is telling you to lower your expectations. It isn't telling you to fix the root cause of your disappointment, because you're not disappointed in yourself. You can't fix the root cause. You can only fix your expectations. Or you can keep getting disappointed and reinforcing that feeling (which will only make it grow stronger).

The connection between emotion and cognition isn't a one-way street. How you feel about something is influenced by what you think about it, and what you think about it is influenced by how you feel about it. That's how changing your perspective can resolve emotional turmoil. Experiencing prolonged negative emotions is detrimental to your mental state.

Ergo, you should make cognitive choices to focus your negative emotions on things things that matter, preferably things within your control or at the very least, something you are capable of influencing. If you live on the North Pole, there's no point in being pissed off at the snow.

Things like this CAN'T make me feel bad because they're both out of my control AND unimportant. The only thing I'm invested in regarding WVM is that I want to see where the story goes. However far that may be. Even if he doesn't finish it, it was an interesting story whilst it lasted. The only thing I feel towards it is curiosity (which isn't an emotion but an intrinsic motivation).

This is actually pretty fun to talk about. Thank you for your sarcastic joke. Really revitalized me.

3.70 star(s) 636 Votes