Ren'Py Would you play a game with vector art style illustrations?

Max Himself

May 26, 2020
Hello, I always had an idea to make a game, but I don't know much about coding or designing art/models. I like to draw, but almost all my life I've only drawn with paper and pencil. I just started doing digital painting and working on vector art. Long story short, I've been watching videos about Ren'py for a while, and I think I've figured out enough programming to start making a linear game with an uncomplicated storyline. The drawing I have shown as an example is not a finished drawing, but the drawings I want to make will be like this. I don't have a concept yet, but I'm thinking of turning a few short stories I wrote into this game. The only thing I want to ask today is how much this drawing style interests you :D And I don't have a drawing tablet, I do all the drawings with the mouse. It's not a disadvantage for this kind of drawings, but since I'm a detail person, I can obsess over even the smallest lines :D That's why in other games there is only one layer where the shadow falls on the model, while I use several shadow or light layers. Do you think this will tire the eyes and create a more realistic image than necessary? liv tyler.png

MissFortune

I Was Once, Possibly, Maybe, Perhaps… A Harem King
Respected User
Game Developer
Aug 17, 2019
It depends. Can you match the quality of every image (say the OP image, for example.) and keep the consistent across the board? Are you confident in this style? Can you put out a large number of pieces with this style in a reasonable amount of time? Though, I think the biggest questions are 1.) Can you fap to this style of art/Can you see people fapping to this style of art? and 2.) Is your writing up to par? Is it good enough to make up for/carry the load of niche/below average artwork?

The above is reminiscent of something like Skylar Reign's Katies Diary or SlutED, though less filtery than the aforementioned. But her (I'm assuming, just based off writing style) writing is quite strong for its chosen narrative, enough to help carry the niche photos filter/art style being used.

At the end of the day, it's up to you. I can see this working, but everything else has to be higher quality to help it.

Reactions: Max Himself