• To improve security, we will soon start forcing password resets for any account that uses a weak password on the next login. If you have a weak password or a defunct email, please update it now to prevent future disruption.

Would it be stupid to use

uhohitsuhoh

May 21, 2017
Assassins Creed Origins photo mode, to make a VN type game? (in conjunction with DAZ)

I've wanted to create a story in the ancient world, its just the lack of assets available in DAZ has stopped me from trying. I've wanted to make a game for awhile now, but I want it to be different from the rest, so I feel I've wasted a ton of money on DAZ assets i'm never actually going to use because I get the fleeting idea of, hey maybe I'll set it in the old west. Maybe I'll make a zombie/apocalypse one, etc. Just trying to stray from the countless number of modern day, normal guy with a family in a new city etc type games.

So there are some DAZ assets that I feel would work with photos taken from AC origins.

Personally I do not enjoy games where the characters aren't rendered WITH the background, like they are just shoddily placed over the background. But the photo mode is pretty indepth, and since its not really dealing with rendering, I could just snap a ton of photos, and work side by side with DAZ models and trying to blend them into scenes

And then use actual DAZ enviornments as well, for the more indepth scenes.

I'm just wondering how quickly I would catch a lawsuit if I did end up making a VN/game, and then subsequently a patreon page. I see games like lust affect seem to be doing fine. I would basically be doing it for the enviornments, not actually using characters from the game.

Any thoughts?

Dirkusmaximus

Aug 28, 2017
That would definitely be a breach of copyright. You can't use screenshots to make other products and I suspect that both Patreon and Ubisoft would likely get upset about it - if they realised that's what you were doing.

DarthSeduction

Lord of Passion
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 28, 2017
I would suggest, instead, that you find photos without copyright and touch them up in PS to make the environment look the way you want.

Reactions: Dirkusmaximus