Would being turned into a vampire make you part of the vampiric family?

Do you believe being turned into a vampire makes you part that vampire family?

• Total voters

Deleted member 229118

Oct 3, 2017
I am a bit curious what the general view point on this is.
Would being turned into a vampire count as being family.
Would it be considered incest to have sex with your sire?

In some fictions being turned makes you part of a clan.
In some you are just a bloodthirsty monster.
And in some you sparkle and didnt get the memo vampire's are supposed to be cursed not blessed.

Personally i would consider it incest as they now share the same vampiric blood.

Gomly1980

Forum Fanatic
Jul 4, 2017
Considering the whole thing started with Dracula siring women for his harem .... pretty sure it's always been a sexual thing.

Until Lost Boys made it cool ... but still about that sexy time with Mike and Star.

Then Twilight took that coolness and shit on it.

Lykanz

Engaged Member
Game Developer
May 2, 2017
Of course, because family is defined only and exclusively by blood.

kiteares

Nov 15, 2017
In some fictions being turned makes you part of a clan
Presuming this is where your question is coming from as the bloodthirsty monster wouldn't give a damn.
I went for - Yes you become part of the family, but it's not (necassarily) incest.
Though it depends on the lore you are following, in some it takes a number of feeds and for your to finally die to turn, in others it's being fed on then feeding either on another or your creator to finally turn you. IMO, even in the latter you are not related as it's an exchange of blood, not a merging of it, much the same way that blood brothers/sisters exchanging blood doesn't make them related.

The family part is no more than another name for, as you wrote, a clan. If you joined a mafia family you would not neccassarily be realted.

Gomly, proof has emerged that Twilight was not of this world and slipped (or was pushed) through a tear in the fabric of space time. Scientists are working on a way to open a tear to return it or at least push it onto someone else.

KinneyX23

Modder
Game Developer
Dec 20, 2016
@Lykanz I don't know if you're joking or not, but family isn't defined exclusivley by blood. Why do you think sexual relations between step brother and sister are regarded as incest in most countries. Or sex between father and adopted child is regarded as incest?

Family doesn't necessarily mean they have to be related by blood.

Reactions: DarthSeduction

Deleted member 229118

Oct 3, 2017
Presuming this is where your question is coming from as the bloodthirsty monster wouldn't give a damn.
It was mostly to point out how widely different vampire's are per setting.
I am personal a fan of the vampire masquerade bloodlines/world of darkness setting.
For the same reason i prefeer 40k to star trek/wars.
The rules are alot more cleary defined.

Gomly1980

Forum Fanatic
Jul 4, 2017
Gomly, proof has emerged that Twilight was not of this world and slipped (or was pushed) through a tear in the fabric of space time. Scientists are working on a way to open a tear to return it or at least push it onto someone else.
Science ... saving humanity from abysmal books and movies.

Reactions: kiteares

Aeilion

Jun 14, 2017
Unless incest is a subject that has already been addressed in the world of vampirism you will have to define it yourself.

Incest is a term that expresses one thing and only one: a family member has a sexual relationship with another member of the family.
So since the term "has a sexual relationship" is defined by itself (unless you modify it) it remains to define the term "member of the family."
Once you have defined the term family (related to the idea of incest) you will have your answer.
- It's only people linked by birth, marriage, etc.
- You add in addition those who are ... transformed.

It is not because people use a term (here family) in a context that it will have the same meaning in any other context.
As the context of your question has never been defined, as the creator of a universe you have to define the rules and logic.

After the question remains whether vampires incest is a taboo or not ^^
In humans, it is a taboo for biological and social reasons if I am not mistaken. But maybe vampires do not have a biological problem of this kind and their social rules can be quite different and incest is an accepted and natural thing.

If you are already aware of all this but you seek advice to arrive at your final choice. I would say that incest as taboo exists only if there has been enough interaction in the past between family members to create a sense of brotherhood (having raised the child, having shared the joys of childhood with the sister / brother etc ...) and / or the relationship of blood, linked to the birth or in any case sharing the same share of DNA.

So no, transformation alone does not add to the idea of incest from my point of view.

Alastaire

Apr 17, 2017
It's not a clan or a family its a Coven and the one who turns you is not your "Father" or "Mother" but your Sire and Master so if you follow the theory behind it it wouldn't in any way be incest *Shrugs*

Aeilion

Jun 14, 2017
It's not a clan or a family its a Coven and the one who turns you is not your "Father" or "Mother" but your Sire and Master so if you follow the theory behind it it wouldn't in any way be incest *Shrugs*
I would have liked a source identifying this as a fact, which would not have the right to change according to the work of the artist or as a recurrence in the world of vampires. I do not know in depth in this area but it interests me. If that's not possible then it does not matter.

DarthSeduction

Lord of Passion
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 28, 2017
To put it simply, no Vampires who were not related before they were turned do not become related after they are turned. Vampirism is often Hedonistic, sex is a part of the deal. I'm a huge fan of Anne Rice's Vampires, personally, and the amount of sex in that series, mostly inferred, between sires and their fledglings is insane. I noticed you mentioned the Masquerade universe, and once again, there was plenty of sexual overtones to that game, and most certainly no encouragement not to mate within the clan. In fact in Masquerade and most Clan or Coven based Vampire lore you'd probably be discouraged from seeking relations outside the clan.

Ataios

Sep 11, 2017
It always depends on the setting, wether you are considered part of a vampire clan, but even in this case, you are still not related. Even though in some settings vampires refer to people they turn into vampires as their children, this is not the same being a human familiy. They don't share the same genetic characteristics. In some vampire story, they were lovers before, it would be odd, if their romance suddenly became incest after the bite. So to put it shortly:

Part of the same clan or house - sometimes.
Incest - no.