• To improve security, we will soon start forcing password resets for any account that uses a weak password on the next login. If you have a weak password or a defunct email, please update it now to prevent future disruption.

Others Working on a JOIP/Milovana alternative

DFem20

Aug 17, 2020
I've been working on an application similar to JOIP and Milovana Webteases, it kind of sits between the two in terms of ease of use. I'm calling it "Joy".
I initially wanted to do this because I was in the middle of learning Rust and I was also working on a "Narrative programming language" with a friend of mine. So this project was there to help me "burn in" both languages at once.

Narra is a "Narrative Programming Language". It's basically a markup language for developing dialogue trees. What makes it interesting is the possibility of using GPT or other language models for completion / generation because you're not dealing with binary data (the way most dialogue tree tools work).

The syntax is quite simple and allows for heavy branching, conditionals, choices ...etc.
Narra also has a "modifier" system that can be exploited in whatever application it has. For Joy, they're used for text styling and for adding tools like dice rolls, timers, coin flips ...etc.
For logic, I just decided to use Lua. I'm currently working on exposing more Narra and Joy API to Lua scripting (which is tightly integrated with Narra to allow you to append stuff resulting from a Lua function call to a dialogue string or to check if the user has seen some dialogue action to branch out ...etc. What I'm really looking forward to is the possibility of exposing some UI elements to Lua to allow advanced users to create their own little widgets/custom tools, and eventually a more advanced plugin system (Imagine a global clicker game that can be used for findom across multiple Joy experiences ! Toy integrations, E-Stim ...etc)

(I tried using RPG Maker to mod a game that was shared here and the whole experience easily became too complicated and overwhelming so I'm hoping that I can make an RPG game engine later on.. We're already using it for our own game project..)

I tried porting a random JOIP instruction thing and it was easy to do. Everything here is extremely linear and it doesn't show off most of the features, but I think it highlights how easy it is to get started, the simplicity of current experiences found in JOIP (it's literally just a slideshow). Using Narra to it's full potential would yield a more interactive story.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

It's extremely easy to get started. Running the code above with some images gives you *a* JOI experience. Before anyone mentions Ren'py. I'm aware that it can be used for something similar, but I think I'm lowering the barrier of entry considerably and simplifying people sharing their own stuff in the case of Joy.

1689098586617.png

What I think would be interesting is people creating and sharing their own experiences. I currently don't have a server or a website ready for all of this but it'd be cool to see what stories people create and share (via file hosting for now ...)

1689099692302.png

If you have any questions or feedback I'd love to hear it. I'm looking forward to sharing joy :)HideThePain: haha.. pun..) here as soon as possible. Would anyone use such an app?

Reactions: Kingkong147