Wondering why so many "Female Protagonist" games are being made

Oct 14, 2017
I think its more of a question about lots of characters(playing as male) VS focusing on one character(playing as female) and the latter seems to be more popular.

Pretentious Goblin

Conversation Conqueror
Nov 3, 2017
I prefer the female MC for corruption games especially. It makes sense for a game that's focused on interaction because it makes the progression more hands-on, and in a way it feels like cutting out the intermediary. If you're gonna have a male MC and he's just gonna be a bland horndog with a huge dick like in every other game, why even bother? I've yet to see a male MC in one of these games that I could really get into and I'm not even sure how it could work and be better than female MC. At best, he'd be almost completely customizable so I could self-insert. But that's not exactly conducive to quality writing unless you put in a ****ton of effort to account for all the variables.

Reactions: hakarlman

CarpeNoctem

The Shield that Guards the Realms of Men
Donor
Nov 16, 2017
I just wondering why so many guys whining and crying female protagonist games? Are you hating women so much? What is wrong with you guys? I even read somewhere that some guys can't play Horizon Zero Dawn or Tomb Raider just because Female character. That just so sad.
How could someone hate such a fine girl like Lara? Savages!

Reactions: DrackDrap

whiskeyrose

Game Developer
Aug 16, 2017
Lots of discussion in this thread on the merits and creative choice of why a female MC.

Its because its easier to make many scenes with a single female character model that changes male partners than the other way around. If its mostly the same female model, you can have multiple sex scenes that are identical. This is most evident in Japanese rpgmaker games, where the female character is almost always fucking faceless guys. A single render with only slight variations can get you 5-6 scenes in the game, you just have to change dialog.

While I'm sure there are many other reasons, which are valid, this is the big one (especially for Japanese games)

Reactions: hakarlman

HalGLC

May 12, 2017
Lots of discussion in this thread on the merits and creative choice of why a female MC.

Its because its easier to make many scenes with a single female character model that changes male partners than the other way around. If its mostly the same female model, you can have multiple sex scenes that are identical. This is most evident in Japanese rpgmaker games, where the female character is almost always fucking faceless guys. A single render with only slight variations can get you 5-6 scenes in the game, you just have to change dialog.

While I'm sure there are many other reasons, which are valid, this is the big one (especially for Japanese games)
It's actually for this reason that I don't like female protagonist games. I much prefer as many women as possible than just the same one in different scenes. That being said I do understand the ease these games have for the dev

As far as the games themselves, I don't mind their existence on its own. Like any other fetish, if it's not my cup of tea I just don't play. Nobody's said that all games have to be something I'd want to play. That being said, my big annoyance is places like Lesson of Passion (which was actually my catalyst into adult games) that make all these female protagonist which takes away time spent on male protag games. THAT being said I know that's just me being greedy and doesn't change what I said earlier about knowing not every game has to please me. It's just sad for me when devs I like spend time on projects I don't like, but that's very much a 'me' issue

ronney

May 6, 2017
i enjoy female protags in my rpgmaker games or similar engine(wolf) (really enjoying treasure hunter Claire). but not seeing a whole lot with male protag who is dominant lately if anyone has suggestions please send them my way. Almost forgot also looking for games that are at least half way completed with a evil mc(gender or engine don't matter) I have a few.

uradamus

Jan 4, 2018
I have a feeling this is one of those grass is always greener on the other side of the fence sort of problems. The split on male/female protagonist games is always roughly even, but if you intentionally limit yourself to a preference for one over the other, then every time you see an interesting game that doesn't match up with your preference you'll find yourself thinking about how you wish that game had the other gender and once you say that to yourself enough you will start to feel like you're always getting the shaft and no one's catering to your tastes. Same thing happens when folks only want 3DCG or only anime style 2D, or any other sort of split you can come up with.

Reactions: HiEv

Silver1

Feb 7, 2017
The majority is still male protagonists, personally i know care much, some of the best games i played are with a female protagonist, but then mostly of them involved corruption of the heroine.

ronney

May 6, 2017
about 40 pages with female mc tag and 49 with male mc tag so its close overall. Now if you ask me how many of them are completed idk nor I do care since 50% complete is good enough for me XD.

Reactions: HiEv

Kaiww

Jul 8, 2018
I think having a female main character can be very interesting in my eyes, they do look better then most male and i like looking at beautiful girls ;)

I do not see that it really matters if a main protagonist is male or female, it is a question of the story that is told and that is was interests me much more then the gender of the MC. Although i would appreciate it if more female characters, in general, would have normal breast and not things out of a horror movie. ;)

Tiren

Jul 29, 2018
As you kow 80% gamers is a boys. So big tits and sweet face is task number 1 =)

Journey95

Jun 23, 2018
There aren't even that many..anyway the appeal of female protagonists are the corruption type of games where a normal girl turns into a real slut.

Or would you rather have a dude in a game like that lol

GracelessLamb

Oct 20, 2019
in the end it's made with a male player base in mind and the girl is almost definitely going to end up sounding like what a guy thinks a girl's thought process is. That's my problem with corruption games: the girl goes from 'ew gross sex' to 'omg cocks I need more dicks in mah pussy nowwwwww!!!1!1!' in the span of what? two h scenes.

Some games get it right. Most don't.

KekKoo

Apr 4, 2018
I don't like this question whatsoever, let alone the idea behind OP's unbelievable ideal that there was too many of them in the first place. Maybe my tastes are just too specific? But I'd for once like one of these (more or less) high production games that most people like, but with a FeMC, and actual stories when it comes to routes regarding the males, and, I don't know.. Aren't faceless.
(In other words, more R-18 Otomes you could say.)

But in any case, I DO appreciate this thread for spawning some more games to check out! :giggle:

Reactions: GracelessLamb

GracelessLamb

Oct 20, 2019
I don't like this question whatsoever, let alone the idea behind OP's unbelievable ideal that there was too many of them in the first place. Maybe my tastes are just too specific? But I'd for once like one of these (more or less) high production games that most people like, but with a FeMC, and actual stories when it comes to routes regarding the males, and, I don't know.. Aren't faceless.
(In other words, more R-18 Otomes you could say.)

But in any case, I DO appreciate this thread for spawning some more games to check out! :giggle:
Y e s. Thank you!
There are actually a lot of R-18 otomes out there but no one is willing to translate them into English which really says something about the English speaking h game industry.

Reactions: KekKoo

Onedge

Game Developer
Nov 10, 2020
When it comes to making them, both genres have their own difficulties. In female protag games you may get just one female, but explore many facets of her mentality or sexuality. In male games you get many females, but they may just have a few scenes each. I guess that's the main difference.

In general, games where the player is forced into a scene for one reason or another, it's because those are made to be linear, rather than it being the female or male protag genre's fault.

But in the end, it mostly all comes down to what you like to play.

Haesoo

Oct 2, 2020
It's nice being a female player and see yourself being drawn into corruption/Lust. It has a different effect, than rather it being a male protag, who just fcks around and it's fine.

And alot of times you can decide how the character ends up as. Full Slut, Corrupted, Guilty, Virgin.

Reactions: Onedge

ronney

May 6, 2017
It's nice being a female player and see yourself being drawn into corruption/Lust. It has a different effect, than rather it being a male protag, who just fcks around and it's fine.

And alot of times you can decide how the character ends up as. Full Slut, Corrupted, Guilty, Virgin.
idk why i am back here, but just one thing to point out the same thing can be done with a male player a lot corruption character games (venusblood) use said system to determine which scenes and endings you get for them. (This is in relation to you 2nd point I agree with your first one.)