Ren'Py With the new Renpy Update

Shawdawg

Jan 10, 2018
I have an older computer I am using cause my better computer has crashed and don't have the money to fix it. I have Windows 7, but not a good enough graphics card I think to run the new Renpy 7.4.1. Log mainly says this : renpy.uguu.gl.find_gl_command' ignored.

My question is, do saves made on PC versions of Renpy work with Android versions? I have a phone that can do Renpy and also screenview with my Xbox for my TV, I just don't want to lose progress.

cold_arctus

Devoted Member
Sep 25, 2018
Thanks. Sounds like a good solution. But will some later games have things that only the new version can use?
Depends on the dev however, PyTom is aware of the problem and is working on a fix for v7.4.XX. Possible that the issue will be fixed with next official release of 7.4.1 (currently in pre-release status).

rayminator

Engaged Member
Respected User
Sep 26, 2018
there is a new full release of version 7.4.1

if anyone still using Windows XP Renpy will not run that also mean newer game might not run on XP

cold_arctus

Devoted Member
Sep 25, 2018
there is a new full release of version 7.4.1

if anyone still using Windows XP Renpy will not run that also mean newer game might not run on XP
Lol.. when I wrote my last post version 7.4.1 was still in pre-release and now it had been officially released.

Shawdawg

Jan 10, 2018
Lol.. when I wrote my last post version 7.4.1 was still in pre-release and now it had been officially released.
I was having problems with 7.4.1. Even with trying to set my render to angle2, still said it was doing software rendering.

Switching stuff to 7.3.4 does work though

cold_arctus

Devoted Member
Sep 25, 2018
Actually never used the actual progam that much. What do I use to actually rebuild the game, is it build distributions?
Yep, SDK is more or less the "game editor" and can be used to compile and build game distributions for different platforms (Windows, Mac, Linux, etc.).

S.O.M.

Game Developer
Jan 30, 2021
Actually never used the actual progam that much. What do I use to actually rebuild the game, is it build distributions?
Yeah. And you need to put your game folder into "renpy - 7.#.#" folder. Otherwise, the program will not see your game. Than - click on name of your project - Build Distributions - select what platform you need (mac, pc).

Shawdawg

Jan 10, 2018
I thought that is how you would do it, and I do have 7.3.5 but it doesnt let me build a distributions for Windows cause I havent been able to run the game normally

Reactions: S.O.M.

S.O.M.

Game Developer
Jan 30, 2021
I do have 7.3.5 but it doesnt let me build a distributions for Windows cause I havent been able to run the game normally
Why? Some bugs, info. as I understand it, everything works fine on version 7.3.4? 7.3.5 best and stable version right now. 7.4.# have some bugs and it is not known when this problem will be solved.
And, yeah, games made on Renpy version 7.4.# may not work correctly or may not run at all. Plus, some games made in version 7.3.5 may also work unstable, depending on the developer and how much he loaded his game, using the capabilities of python. But, as far as I know, all games made on renpy can be run even if your computer has an integrated video card.

Shawdawg

Jan 10, 2018
Even after 7.3.5 downloaded, still getting when I try to "build distribution" one of the newer games it still tells me "Failed. Make sure project runs before trying distribution."

I know my pc is very old right now, and has a weak video card. Can still run Direct X11, but the newer version of Renpy says my machine is only doing Software rendering. Have an intel Express 965 card. Having to use a netbook now due to my better computer crapping out.

cold_arctus

Devoted Member
Sep 25, 2018
Even after 7.3.5 downloaded, still getting when I try to "build distribution" one of the newer games it still tells me "Failed. Make sure project runs before trying distribution."

I know my pc is very old right now, and has a weak video card. Can still run Direct X11, but the newer version of Renpy says my machine is only doing Software rendering. Have an intel Express 965 card. Having to use a netbook now due to my better computer crapping out.
Please tell me which game you try to play. There are a few games that already use the newer version of Ren'Py. I have had trouble to play one game myself and was able to solve it for me.

S.O.M.

Game Developer
Jan 30, 2021
Hmm, maybe this is a reason
But if you can't build distribution, something wrong with games (bugs with script). Can you please show us your log file? (you can find it in game folder, where is .exe file).
Try download this
As i noticed this game builded on new renpy version.

cold_arctus

Devoted Member
Sep 25, 2018
Family Affair and Oopsy Daisy were two of them
Ok, I downloaded the latest version of both games. I still have an old version of Oopsy Daisy (v0.4.0) which doesn't work (not without force recompile). The latest build v0.4.1 however works now for me.

Now I'm not sure if it is due to Devs, who updated their Ren'Py SDK version, or due to system updates. :unsure:

Can you try to press Shift+G during the launch of the games.

Reactions: S.O.M.

S.O.M.

Game Developer
Jan 30, 2021
Ok, I downloaded the latest version of both games. I still have an old version of Oopsy Daisy (v0.4.0) which doesn't work (not without force recompile). The latest build v0.4.1 however works now for me.

Now I'm not sure if it is due to Devs, who updated their Ren'Py SDK version, or due to system updates. :unsure:

Can you try to press Shift+G during the launch of the games.
Most likely this is a problem with old gpu. For ex, if you download rogue like on old pc, the game will show you info screen, that your gpu too slow and you need openGL.

Ps: you need to delete renpy folder in appdata. Maybe new renpy version created some files here, like overwrited python library or something like this.

Reactions: cold_arctus