• To improve security, we will soon start forcing password resets for any account that uses a weak password on the next login. If you have a weak password or a defunct email, please update it now to prevent future disruption.

Unity WIP: Unity Visual Novel Toolkit

NylonBandit

Jul 24, 2020
Hey guys.

I'm working on a Unity asset to allow people to make visual novels without code. It's not quite ready for release yet, however the only major piece left to code is the saving and loading system. However, development has gone well and you couldn't make a complete visual novel with what I have so far (minus the saving and loading).

Workflow is similar to RPG Maker. Here's how it works:
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

I did a quick video preview you can see here. It's rushed, and a bit rough. So apologies for that, and the waffling, but it gets the point across.

After the initial alpha, I plan to add support for Live2D, animated backgrounds and (potentially) Steam integration and localization features.

Development may slow down a little as I've returned to work, but I am hoping to have an alpha version ready within a month. With that in mind, I'm looking for a few people to take my alpha build and play around with it to see how they get on. If you're interested in helping out with testing, shoot me a DM.

Plans for release, I want to monetize the asset and release on the Unity store, or, I may set up a Patron. Don't know yet. Although let's be honest, even if I did the files will probably some how end up on this site for everyone to download for free anyway so not sure what way I want to go. Piracy is just a part of digital content and it's not really something I can bitch about so I may release it here for people to use and set up a Patron for anyone that wants to support development. We'll see what the reception is like.

Finally, if anyone has any requests for features then let me know and I'll will add it to the to-do list.

NOTE ON SCREENSHOTS: This is in active development and I still have some work to do on the look and layout of the tools. Right now, they're a bit messy, but it will look better come release.

Last edited:

Saki_Sliz

May 3, 2018
Hey, enjoy your week of relaxation. Very cool project! Thanks for sharing.

Another user and I are working together on making our game in Unity, some VN elements and some base management/mission system elements. I'm the programmer so I've had to try to deal with get something that my partner can use. I don't feel like reinventing the wheel, so I'm always interested in seeing what there is to use, and what can help.

Reactions: NylonBandit

NylonBandit

Jul 24, 2020
Well development is going faster than I expected. (...touch wood). Save/Loading has already been added, and items and movies should be in by the end of the day. After that I'll be working on the layout for the tools and get things looking nice.

I should have an alpha version ready in a week or two, and I'll be looking for people to help test it.

Nox_T

May 21, 2023
This kind of project is close to what I'm doing where I create plugins and add-ons, but I'm at a basic level. I been trying to learn and practice more advance stuff to reach your level of progress. Sadly I can't use unity due to hardware limitation, so I can't test or look at what you done to learn or give feed back.

I like to see how this progresses cause I'm in the same market with the kind of service I wish to provide. Good luck with your project and hopefully you get good feed back from future users.

dogsta

Jan 18, 2023
Looking good.

Would be good to see it on the Unity store -- I wonder how well it would do...

Stiff competition, though -- as there is an established asset that goes by Dialogue System (also has a VN template). I know this as my current project is a VN (coming from VR dev). Saying this, I think it would be good to have a dedicated VN asset, though.

Good luck!

NylonBandit

Jul 24, 2020
If you need betatesters, I volunteer!

Also I just created this thread about creating VN with Unity. Maybe you can help me out with your unity knowledge :)?
Hi Michelangelo,

Currently I'm not looking for any more beta testers. Although some of the testers I already have seem to have taken my download link and then gone quiet... never to be heard from again, so that may change next month. If it does, I'll ping you a message.

However starting from the September update, I'm going to just be posting a download link on the F95 forum so it's free for it's members. If you want to try it out, I can message you when I post it. Will be near the end of September.

I also have a roadmap for planned updates for the rest of the year, you can see that on my Patron page.

Reactions: Saki_Sliz
Nov 19, 2018
Currently I'm not looking for any more beta testers... that may change next month
your post was written on Aug 31... today it's Sept 1st :HideThePain:

stupid jokes apart, please ping me, or just update this thread (it's this on my watchlist, and surely on many more users). I'm testing many VN-toolkits in Unity and I'm eager to give yours a try too.

NylonBandit

Jul 24, 2020
I see you have a patreon now, I don't recall if you ever mentioned it
Yeah I launched it last month and I have one active Patreon lol

It's not required though because, again, I'll be posting a download link on F95 starting from the next update. It's just there if people want to help support development.

your post was written on Aug 31... today it's Sept 1st :HideThePain:

stupid jokes apart, please ping me, or just update this thread (it's this on my watchlist, and surely on many more users). I'm testing many VN-toolkits in Unity and I'm eager to give yours a try too.
I will do but I'm not posting the September update for a few weeks. I've said it will be last week of September, but honestly, I'll just release it once I get through my list of bugs to fix, and will probably post here as soon as it's ready. I spoke to my one active patreon and he said he's fine with me posting it for free lol. Just a heads up though I have got Starfield pre-ordered, so let's hope it sucks and doesn't distract me too much.

Only thing I will say is I won't be offering support for the F95 version and the Discord is only for Patreons, but with that said, as soon as I have the spare cash I'm going to be purchasing a website so I can host a Wiki /Knowledge base and have a place to put stuff like tutorial videos and FAQs and stuff.

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2018
If EZVN is worth the hype, and it fits the game idea I have on my mind, I'll support you :)

Starfield gona impact childhoods, destroy marriages, cause job firings and delay projects -mine included- :LOL: