Windows game on Linux?

FrostEye

Mar 25, 2019
How do I play windows only game from this page to Linux? You know how shitty windows these days... like they force you to update even when your pc run smoothly.. so I plan to change my Os to linux.. Any tools I can use to do it?

scrumbles

Engaged Member
Jan 12, 2019
1) Wine (a compatibility layer) + winetricks (a scripts to install MS libraries/fonts/etc.)
2) PlayOnLinux (a frontend for Wine)
3) a virtual machine to run Windows inside, as suggested by Winterfire (there are also VirtualBox, QEMU...)
Some adult games (Ren'py, RPG Maker MV, Flash, Twine of course) can also be played natively.

First, choose the distro. I like mine fast and light, but if you never tried Linux you probably want something easier. Lutris has been especially conceived for gamers. Other good choices can be Ubuntu and Linux Mint: they have many users, if you have an issue you are most likely to find the solution on the Internet.
Once you have installed Linux, there are plenty of tutorials in this section. Start from here: Playing On Linux - Tutorials, Tools And Help

Last edited:

cold_arctus

Devoted Member
Sep 25, 2018
How do I play windows only game from this page to Linux?
I plan to change my Os to linux
Linux user here. First of all - Congratulation to make the first step into more freedom. But keep in mind that playing AAA Games from major game Studios will take a hurdle from now on.

Wherever you see a Ren'Py or RPG Maker MV tag on the game you can play natively on Linux. Even if the needed libraries and shell script file (.sh compare to .exe) is missing in the download.
More complicated it is with Games and an UNITY tag. For these games, if dev doesn't offer a native Linux build, you need Wine. Some Unity games run easy on Wine others however, are a mess (coding part) or need a good hardware (The Twist for example). I wrote a little bit about it in the mentioned thread: Playing On Linux - Tutorials, Tools And Help.
PlayOnLinux is garbage. Stick to native Wine as much as possible.
Any tools I can use to do it?
- Ren'Py SDK for games which doesn't provide Linux libraries and shell script file (so far I'm aware of two games which does it.):

- Turn every "Windows-only" RPG into a native Linux build: RPG Maker MV v1.62 Linux Mac and Windows

- Extract all the images from a Ren'Py game: UnRen for MacOS and Linux v0.8

Note: All Windows saves, doesn't matter if from Unity, Ren'Py or RPG Maker, are compatible with Linux ;)

Last edited:

FrostEye

Mar 25, 2019
Linux user here. First of all - Congratulation to make the first step into more freedom. But keep in mind that playing AAA Games from major game Studios will take a hurdle from now on.

Where ever you see a Ren'Py or RPG Maker MV tag on the game you can play natively on Linux. Even if the needed libraries and shell script file (.sh compare to .exe) is missing in the download.
More complicated it is with Games and an UNITY tag. For these games, if dev doesn't offer a native Linux build, you need Wine. Some Unity games run easy on Wine others however, are a mess (coding part) or need a good hardware (The Twist for example). I wrote a little bit about it in the mentioned thread: Playing On Linux - Tutorials, Tools And Help.

PlayOnLinux is garbage. Stick to native Wine as much as possible.

- Ren'Py SDK for games which doesn't provide Linux libraries and shell script file (so far I'm aware of two games which does it.):

- Turn every "Windows-only" RPG into a native Linux build: RPG Maker MV v1.62 Linux Mac and Windows

- Extract all the images from a Ren'Py game: UnRen for MacOS and Linux v0.8

Note: All Windows saves, doesn't matter if from Unity, Ren'Py or RPG Maker, are compatible with Linux ;)
Thanks for the explanation man really appreciate it. it will take some time to understand everything but I really thankful for that

FrostEye

Mar 25, 2019
1) Wine (a compatibility layer) + winetricks (a scripts to install MS libraries/fonts/etc.)
3) a virtual machine to run Windows inside, as suggested by Winterfire (there are also VirtualBox, QEMU...)
Some adult games (Ren'py, RPG Maker MV, Flash, Twine of course) can also be played natively.

First, choose the distro. I like mine fast and light, but if you never tried Linux you probably want something easier. Lutris has been especially conceived for gamers. Other good choices can be Ubuntu and Linux Mint: they have many users, if you have an issue you are most likely to find the solution on the Internet.
Once you have installed Linux, there are plenty of tutorials in this section. Start from here: Playing On Linux - Tutorials, Tools And Help
So for a newbie like me lutris and Ubuntu is a good start... thanks for the advice

cold_arctus

Devoted Member
Sep 25, 2018
lutris and Ubuntu
Lutris is a front for Wine same as playonlinux, but with more options and because Lutris release their own modified Wine builds with adjusted settings for some AAA games. However, for adult games download from F95 Lutris isn't needed.

I use Ubuntu myself and it is a perfect Distro for Linux beginners. Well switching form Mac to Ubuntu is easier as from Windows, because the UI design is closer to Mac as to Windows. This is one of the reasons why old Windows Users prefer Linux Mint or KDE instead Ubuntu as Linux Distro. Later you will change Distros in the same way as you change your underwear. ;)

Krabe

Nov 29, 2017
99% games(from this site) will work under WINE.
No virtual machine needed.
ArchLinux is best choise for everything, imho.

c00lb3ans

Aug 21, 2018
cold_arctus Have you had luck running RPG Maker MV games under Linux? Either using Wine or creating a native executable?

I have been trying to get Slice of Venture 2 to work. With Wine, I get a black screen. Using the nw.js method, I get an error at the beginning saying `Failed to load www/img/500mil.png`.

cold_arctus

Devoted Member
Sep 25, 2018
cold_arctus Have you had luck running RPG Maker MV games under Linux? Either using Wine or creating a native executable?

I have been trying to get Slice of Venture 2 to work. With Wine, I get a black screen. Using the nw.js method, I get an error at the beginning saying `Failed to load www/img/500mil.png`.
Just tried both compressed and normal version of Slice of Venture 2 v1.0 and both run native on Linux.

Here is what you need to do:
1. Download the game (doesn't matter if compressed or original)
2. Download RPGM Linux launcher from here:
https://f95zone.to/threads/rpg-maker-mv-v1-62-linux-mac-and-windows.31352/post-1990583
3. Copy and replace the www folder from the game with RPGM's www folder.
4. Due to a naming mistake the game won't start until you fix it: "Failed to load: bla bla bla"
Go to folder www/img/archievements and rename the file "500mil.rpgmv" (or 500mil.png in compressed version) to 500Mil.rpgmv (or 500Mil.png).
5. Enjoy the game.

c00lb3ans

Aug 21, 2018
Just tried both compressed and normal version of Slice of Venture 2 v1.0 and both run native on Linux.

Here is what you need to do:
1. Download the game (doesn't matter if compressed or original)
2. Download RPGM Linux launcher from here:
https://f95zone.to/threads/rpg-maker-mv-v1-62-linux-mac-and-windows.31352/post-1990583
3. Copy and replace the www folder from the game with RPGM's www folder.
4. Due to a naming mistake the game won't start until you fix it: "Failed to load: bla bla bla"
Go to folder www/img/archievements and rename the file "500mil.rpgmv" (or 500mil.png in compressed version) to 500Mil.rpgmv (or 500Mil.png).
5. Enjoy the game.
Thanks a lot! That worked. Cheers.

Mand21

Nov 25, 2020
Idk you people, I'm usually just running Lutris for these games. Are there any known problem with Lutris?