• To improve security, we will soon start forcing password resets for any account that uses a weak password on the next login. If you have a weak password or a defunct email, please update it now to prevent future disruption.

Windows 11 Renpy 7.3.5 and below Games do not work

NierLeggings

Oct 17, 2019
Im trying to troubleshoot why renpy games on script 7.3.5 and below do not work on Windows 11, the only error in the log is
"Importing _renpysteam: ImportError('No module named _renpysteam',)"
From what i understand is that it's a render error but I am unable to launch the GUI to change what renderer to use.
In appdata the game do not generate a persistent file and neither in the games local save folder.
The same error appears with RenPy 7.3.5 SDK.
The earliest version of RenPy that works is 7.4
If anyone can give some insight in to this problem much appreciated

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
Im trying to troubleshoot why renpy games on script 7.3.5 and below do not work on Windows 11, [..]
Hmm, "and below" ? You mean in chronological order, therefore version that come after the 7.3.5, right ?

Since it happen in a 7.x branch, it's probably a render issue:

Start by ensuring that the GPU/video card drivers are up to date.
If they are, or if it's not enough, hold the shift keys when you run the game ; keeping it hold until the configuration menu show up. Then choose either "Force GL Renderer" or "Force ANGLE Renderer", quit and restart the game.
If it's still not enough, create a file named "glFix.rpy" and put this inside:
Code:
define config.gl2 = False
Then try again to select one of the old renderer.

NierLeggings

Oct 17, 2019
Hmm, "and below" ? You mean in chronological order, therefore version that come after the 7.3.5, right ?

Since it happen in a 7.x branch, it's probably a render issue:

Start by ensuring that the GPU/video card drivers are up to date.
If they are, or if it's not enough, hold the shift keys when you run the game ; keeping it hold until the configuration menu show up. Then choose either "Force GL Renderer" or "Force ANGLE Renderer", quit and restart the game.
If it's still not enough, create a file named "glFix.rpy" and put this inside:
Code:
define config.gl2 = False
Then try again to select one of the old renderer.
By below i mean 7.3.4, 7.3.3, 7.2, 7.1 and earlier but 7.4 and later versions do work
Holding shift while launching does nothing, the configuration menu does not appear. The game/SDK shows in task manager for a few seconds under background processes then nothing that's the only hint that it even trying to load.
Compatablity mode windows 8 and 7 does nothing.
Im guessing i make that file in the root of the game folder
C:\User\F95\Game_not_launching
or does it go into the subfolders i.e
C:\User\F95\Game_not_launching\game
C:\User\F95\Game_not_launching\renpy
C:\User\F95\Game_not_launching\lib

anne O'nymous

Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
By below i mean 7.3.4, 7.3.3, 7.2, 7.1 and earlier
It's really unusual. Of course each new versions fix some issues, but I fail to see an issue that would have existed for the whole 7.x branch until the 7.4.

Im guessing i make that file in the root of the game folder
It's useless, it's needed only for games using Ren'Py 7.4.5 and further.

All this being said, I'm an idiot and I should think before believing the description of the issue. The error you talk about is not an error unless you're playing a game relying on Steam achievement system ; all Ren'Py games have this line in their log file.
But this don't explain why the error appear only with games that do not include gl2...

Meaning Less

Engaged Member
Sep 13, 2016
Have you tried moving the game directly to C:/ and running it from there?

If perchance your username has special characters renpy might be having trouble finding the game in that filepath.

NierLeggings

Oct 17, 2019
Have you tried moving the game directly to C:/ and running it from there?

If perchance your username has special characters renpy might be having trouble finding the game in that filepath.
Yea tried that and i have no special characters in computer name or any folder name

NierLeggings

Oct 17, 2019
It's really unusual. Of course each new versions fix some issues, but I fail to see an issue that would have existed for the whole 7.x branch until the 7.4.

It's useless, it's needed only for games using Ren'Py 7.4.5 and further.

All this being said, I'm an idiot and I should think before believing the description of the issue. The error you talk about is not an error unless you're playing a game relying on Steam achievement system ; all Ren'Py games have this line in their log file.
But this don't explain why the error appear only with games that do not include gl2...
Looking at the release notes on 7.4, the only possible reason i can see why that works and not the pervious 7.x versions is
"Ren'Py's build system has been modernized, and the libraries underlying it have been updated. This allows 64-bit Windows to be supported."

EDIT

Looking at the log file generated i noticed that it doesn't finish writing the log out

Last edited:

rayminator

Engaged Member
Respected User
Sep 26, 2018
what the game that are you talking so we can test it for ourselves so we can see if it's just you that is having that problem

well it's not your gpu mine is 516.94 as well

NierLeggings

Oct 17, 2019
what the game that are you talking so we can test it for ourselves so we can see if it's just you that is having that problem

well it's not your gpu mine is 516.94 as well
The above log files are from the RenPy SDKs, games (Trouble in paradise, Buried desires, Corruption, DMD for examples) produce the same error in their log file as the SDK, I use the SDK as main example as its a smaller download and hopefully easier to troubleshoot.

rayminator

Engaged Member
Respected User
Sep 26, 2018
Well it looks like it's on your end and nobody elses

Buried desires works fine
1254.png

Trouble in paradise downloading now

Trouble in paradise works fine

12540.png

Last edited:

anne O'nymous

Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
Well it looks like it's on your end and nobody elses

Buried desires works fine
[...]
Trouble in paradise works fine
As for Corruption, it use Ren'Py 7.0.0, therefore a 4 years old version. I doubt that an effective bug could last so long on Ren'Py.

rayminator

Engaged Member
Respected User
Sep 26, 2018
As for Corruption, it use Ren'Py 7.0.0, therefore a 4 years old version. I doubt that an effective bug could last so long on Ren'Py.
As for Corruption it works fine so it has to be something like hardware or software that on his/hers computer that's not allowing those games to run maybe it's a video codex that he/she doesn't have cause Corruption and Trouble in paradise uses a video for their main menu screen

145236.png

anne O'nymous

Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
[...] so it has to be something like hardware or software that on his/hers computer that's not allowing those games to run maybe it's a video codex [...]
Hardware/software, yes, but not because of the video.
The log stop before the graphic initialization, at this time Ren'Py don't even know that there will be a video to play.

The problem is that the log stop in the middle of a line...
Suddenly there's something so important that Python don't even finish to sent the line to the OS API that will write the line, or something like that.
What come after this line in Ren'Py init process is the first display of the screen, as part of the code searching what Renderer it should use. But I doubt it's the problem, this part of the code haven't changed since years.
It's also not due to the GPU. I mean it make no sense that it's the problem since it works with the version of Ren'Py that are more advanced, and not on the version that, by default, still rely on the historical renderer.

The only "obvious" difference between the 7.3.5 and the 7.4.0 is that Ren'Py changed the version of Python it use. Ren'Py 7.3.5 rely on Python 2.7.10, while Ren'Py 7.4.0, and further on the 7.x branch, rely on Python 2.7.18.
But it's not the version of Python by itself. Ren'Py use the 2.7.10 since its version 6.99.6 (september 2015), it would be known since a long time if it had an issue.
I also doubt that it's an incompatibility between Python 2.7.10 and Windows 11. There's surely not many people still using Python 2.7.10, but there's tons of people playing Ren'Py games using this version of Python. If it was specific to Python 2.7.10 on Windows 11, there would be more error reports.
There's reports, it's not the first time I see a log that stop a this exact place, but it's relatively exceptional ; too exceptional to be something generalized.

Outside of the code itself, the difference between the version of Python 2.7.10 and 2.7.18 that Ren'Py use is that the version 2.7.10 have most of its code store externally in a DLL, while with Python 2.7.18 everything is embedded in the interpreter exe.
But once again why would it be an issue ? If it was a question of rights, Python wouldn't works at all. It's also not a question of writing permission, since there's content in the log prior to this...

But well, my guess is that the error is due to Python more than to Ren'Py.

NierLeggings

Oct 17, 2019
Hardware/software, yes, but not because of the video.
The log stop before the graphic initialization, at this time Ren'Py don't even know that there will be a video to play.

The problem is that the log stop in the middle of a line...
Suddenly there's something so important that Python don't even finish to sent the line to the OS API that will write the line, or something like that.
What come after this line in Ren'Py init process is the first display of the screen, as part of the code searching what Renderer it should use. But I doubt it's the problem, this part of the code haven't changed since years.
It's also not due to the GPU. I mean it make no sense that it's the problem since it works with the version of Ren'Py that are more advanced, and not on the version that, by default, still rely on the historical renderer.

The only "obvious" difference between the 7.3.5 and the 7.4.0 is that Ren'Py changed the version of Python it use. Ren'Py 7.3.5 rely on Python 2.7.10, while Ren'Py 7.4.0, and further on the 7.x branch, rely on Python 2.7.18.
But it's not the version of Python by itself. Ren'Py use the 2.7.10 since its version 6.99.6 (september 2015), it would be known since a long time if it had an issue.
I also doubt that it's an incompatibility between Python 2.7.10 and Windows 11. There's surely not many people still using Python 2.7.10, but there's tons of people playing Ren'Py games using this version of Python. If it was specific to Python 2.7.10 on Windows 11, there would be more error reports.
There's reports, it's not the first time I see a log that stop a this exact place, but it's relatively exceptional ; too exceptional to be something generalized.

Outside of the code itself, the difference between the version of Python 2.7.10 and 2.7.18 that Ren'Py use is that the version 2.7.10 have most of its code store externally in a DLL, while with Python 2.7.18 everything is embedded in the interpreter exe.
But once again why would it be an issue ? If it was a question of rights, Python wouldn't works at all. It's also not a question of writing permission, since there's content in the log prior to this...

But well, my guess is that the error is due to Python more than to Ren'Py.
I also think this may be due to a python error, as i have wittled the error down to the exe in
"TroubleinParadise-0.10.9-pc\lib\windows-i686"
I have no idea why this is having such a hard time, its a fully fresh install, i did a system file check no corrupted files, i uninstalled .NET and reinstalled same with drivers. I just have no idea why this is happeing, but was working fine before i did a full system clean. I appreciate everyones help to try and fix this

rayminator

Engaged Member
Respected User
Sep 26, 2018
have you tried to install python library to see if that fix it or not?