Why is the resolution for rpg maker games so garbage?

Crimson Delight Games

Game Developer
Nov 20, 2020
Are you asking if there's a way to do it after the game is deployed, or prior to it?

It's not that hard getting MV or MZ do display in higher resolutions, but you need specific plugins for it. Most devs don't include them, which is why you get the 4:3 aspect ratio.

Which game are you specifically interested in?

jason12315

Aug 31, 2020
Are you asking if there's a way to do it after the game is deployed, or prior to it?

It's not that hard getting MV or MZ do display in higher resolutions, but you need specific plugins for it. Most devs don't include them, which is why you get the 4:3 aspect ratio.

Which game are you specifically interested in?
A game called "Tower of Trample". I have also heard that the resolution for "Happy H Apartment" is not get either. So where can I get these plugins that will display higher resolutions?

Crimson Delight Games

Game Developer
Nov 20, 2020
A game called "Tower of Trample". I have also heard that the resolution for "Happy H Apartment" is not get either. So where can I get these plugins that will display higher resolutions?
Devs need to include them in the game. Most games aren't built around them because the devs go with default rez. I'm not sure if you can alter the game's resolution after it's deployed by RPGM, but I doubt it. You can use F4 for full screen, as you wrote in the OP, but you'll get the black lines. Maybe someone more knowledgeable on the engine's inner workings could help you out.

Try asking here:

Toweke

Oct 27, 2017
I highly recommend you try out this application called Sizer. It's free and lets you resize windows to whatever resolution you want, including custom resolutions. I often use it whenever I play Rpgmaker games because as you say they are always ridiculously tiny, especially given I have a large, 4K monitor. Here it is:

jason12315

Aug 31, 2020
I highly recommend you try out this application called Sizer. It's free and lets you resize windows to whatever resolution you want, including custom resolutions. I often use it whenever I play Rpgmaker games because as you say they are always ridiculously tiny, especially given I have a large, 4K monitor. Here it is:
Thanks my man

rk-47

Jun 27, 2020
Agreed op but i think its just the rpgm software thats really outdated

Nov 28, 2017
RPG Maker is from a time where the most common resolution was 1024 x 768 on those big CRT monitors that were 4:3.

I imagine they should've made enough money to update their free stuff to 1920 x 1080 and 16:9 but I guess why bother if it's just a skeleton crew remaining to run RPG Maker.

Succubus Hunter

Conversation Conqueror
May 19, 2020
I just gave Sizer a try and it's an improvement. Have you found anything that can upsize the game to 1280 x 600?

hu lover

Forum Fanatic
Jul 27, 2022
I just gave Sizer a try and it's an improvement. Have you found anything that can upsize the game to 1280 x 600?
not sure if this helps, but check out this thread

scroll down till you see the 6th post made by a user named "Mystix." there is a windows resizer program that works with RPG maker, and the download for the program can be downloaded on this webpage. . however do take note that the program is meant for moderate to advanced users and the program should be used with caution. width and height can be changed with this software but do take heed this software is meant for advanced users.

Succubus Hunter

Conversation Conqueror
May 19, 2020

scroll down till you see the 6th post made by a user named "Mystix." there is a windows resizer program that works with RPG maker, and the download for the program can be downloaded on this webpage. . however do take note that the program is meant for moderate to advanced users and the program should be used with caution. width and height can be changed with this software but do take heed this software is meant for advanced users.
Thank you for sharing this info. Admittedly, I am a beginner when it comes to adjusting screen resolution.

Insomnimaniac Games

Engaged Member
Game Developer
May 25, 2017

Thank you for sharing this info. Admittedly, I am a beginner when it comes to adjusting screen resolution.
Use . It's way better.

Reactions: Succubus Hunter

hu lover

Forum Fanatic
Jul 27, 2022

Succubus Hunter

Conversation Conqueror
May 19, 2020
Use . It's way better.
Thank for the the suggestion. I will be giving this option a look as well.

No problem. i hope things work out for you, and you are able to adjust the resolution accordingly.

thank you Insomnimaniac Games for suggesting Magpie, you really know your stuff when it comes to software.
Thank you. There might be a bit of a learning curve but in the longrun learning this will help a lot in the long run.