• To improve security, we will soon start forcing password resets for any account that uses a weak password on the next login. If you have a weak password or a defunct email, please update it now to prevent future disruption.

Why don't more jpn devs put their games in steam?

zoneitorboneit

Apr 30, 2018
There are a lot of games out there that require little to almost no reading that have minimal translations needed. Where at best translations are needed just for a few buttons or so.
Why aren't they put on game sites? Like steam, itch.io, gamejolt, etc

morphnet

Aug 3, 2017
because they have their own sites/platforms like dlsite and others. I'm also not 100% sure just a guess on my part but i think it might also have to do with the process of setting up sales with them. Then there are the laws to take into account as well as taxes etc.

Zachy

Spark Of Life
Modder
Donor
Game Developer
May 6, 2017
There's also devs like Asgar Knights (ROBF) who vehemently hate western audience for being potential pirates. And it's not that we can deny that, since we are literally on a piracy forum.

Most JPN devs don't see any profit on releasing their game on a western platform and risking themselves to being pirated.

Droid Productions

[Love of Magic]
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
You also can't put anything with sex and a school setting on Steam; that cuts out a lot of Japanese titles.