• To improve security, we will soon start forcing password resets for any account that uses a weak password on the next login. If you have a weak password or a defunct email, please update it now to prevent future disruption.

Why don't devs upload or promote their content on F95?

zoneitorboneit

Apr 30, 2018
Personally, I enjoy 3D games the most. Any game where the characters are modeled, the map is, etc. Albeit they're not easy to make, there are many out there and I often find patreons for them. I'm quite surprised at how many of them exist but aren't on F95. There are even public demos for them that can be put on here.

My question is why aren't they here? Do most devs choose not to promote their game because of a reason like the community? Or perhaps giving more free exposure gives the game a higher chance of being cracked or given away for free? Or perhaps they don't wish to be criticized? Or is F95 not that well known amongst the devs so they simply haven't heard of it?

I'm sure there are many more creators that don't focus on 3D that don't upload here either

おい!

Engaged Member
Mar 25, 2018
Devs do use F95 for releasing and sharing their games etc................... I was told that by a mod on here sometime ago.

freedom.call

Donor
Mar 8, 2018
Devs are in a bit of a bind here imo. It's a balance between making the game known and at the same time keep their patrons happy.

At the end of the day we are pirates of the....cyberspace. Many are also patrons...of the cyberspace.

The 1★ Dude

Jun 26, 2018
Think its the way to upload anything here if you are not a uploader.
First creating a request thread with the correct format. Maybe before creating the thread asking the staff if its against any rule. Then waiting to be approved. And this takes sometimes weeks. Wrong format and you get the funny confusing "You have 24h to fix the thread" message (even you dont know what to fix). Then wait again.... -.-

Only the best games can be posted on F95Zone
Nice joke. :p

zoneitorboneit

Apr 30, 2018
Devs do use F95 for releasing and sharing their games etc................... I was told that by a mod on here sometime ago.
Assuming you're being serious,my point is that there is quite a handful of games that don't end up on here

Only the best games can be posted on F95Zone
The ones I've seen are F95 worthy, but I still wonder why they're not on here.
Like this
or this

zoneitorboneit

Apr 30, 2018
Devs are in a bit of a bind here imo. It's a balance between making the game known and at the same time keep their patrons happy.

At the end of the day we are pirates of the....cyberspace. Many are also patrons...of the cyberspace.
I think you're right, but I'd add criticism to this too. I forgot which game and I won't name names here but there was one that uploaded a 3D game demo that was censored. The dev was gladly replying to many of the comments but all of a sudden an enormous slew of them came criticizing the dev for having censors. Those were ignored but it really tainted the thread.

freedom.call

Donor
Mar 8, 2018
I think you're right, but I'd add criticism to this too. I forgot which game and I won't name names here but there was one that uploaded a 3D game demo that was censored. The dev was gladly replying to many of the comments but all of a sudden an enormous slew of them came criticizing the dev for having censors. Those were ignored but it really tainted the thread.
Yeah, if that's the game that wasn't actually censored but the public demo was? I have to admit I didn't understand that but I'm not paying him so I don't say anything about strategic decisions.

Every single game has great/good/bad and awful reviews, really can't please them all. I wish people would abstain instead of saying 'horrible game'. Serves no purpose.

redknight00

I want to break free
Staff member
Modder
Apr 30, 2017
Some developers choose to share their games here personally, others just come to talk to people, but their games only get updated when a patron shares it. Either way, there are advantages and disadvantages of a developer being here, we are a pirate site and not everyone is okay with that (especially most devoted fans who pay more tend to get salty when they shit they pay getting pirated), not to mention the community can be less than polite at times.

Either way, we have terribly low standards of what gets uploaded here and as long as we find a version it will be uploaded. Unless it's against the rules of course.

RanliLabz

Creating SpaceCorps XXX
Donor
Game Developer
Mar 5, 2018
I think devs are crazy not to upload here... I’ve found it a great way to get eyes on my game, get suggestions and bug fixes, and even some patrons (more if you count the ones who found me on all the sites that mirror f95 content). This is the home of the hardcore gaming community - the most well versed and committed players in the potential audience - and anyone who ignores the opportunity to get that feedback and spread the word needs their head examined.

Even better, a dev who posts their own game gets some control over the thread - how their game is uploaded and the quality of the promo stuff. Anything worth its salt is gonna be posted anyway... so why not do it ourselves! After all, under a donation-based payment model, devs, patrons and pirates are mainly the same people! :D

Avaron1974

Resident Lesbian
Aug 22, 2018
I'll point out the most obvious answer everyone else seems to have missed.

When all is said and done, this is a site aimed at piracy. There are a lot of devs that don't agree with us stealing their content so they avoid the place.

For other devs, i'll use Sierra Lee here as she's quite popular with some of us, there are some members that hurled a lot of abuse at her both in threads and PM that she decided not to come here again.

Mainly it's the piracy thing though.

Reactions: sakosux and nln0

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
My question is why aren't they here?
There's more than one answer to this question :
  • There's the devs who don't like the idea of piracy ;
  • There's the devs who don't even know that this community exist ;
  • There's the devs who don't care about the players if they don't pay ;
  • There's the devs who were here, but are so bad that they don't want to hear it said again ;
  • There's the devs who can't stand criticism, even when said gently and in a constructive way ;
  • There's the devs who don't think that sharing their game here can help them ;
  • There's the devs who don't have time for this ;
  • There's the devs who rely on someone else for the English translation and, while they can ask for help for their Patreon's post, simply can't be here because of this.

And it's just the case that cross my mind right now.

baneini

Jun 28, 2017
There's more than one answer to this question
Having so many reasons for someone not being here you could then consider what kinda devs do use f95
I guess: English speaking professional devs who do this for their living
Advertising the product is a primary concern for everyone ever so the profit motive for existing in f95 is there.
Everything else follows from those things.

If you want to maximize your bottom line your opinion on things like piracy or receiving critique doesn't matter, they're just things you live with. It's always worth your time to maintain your games community, grow it and amount of supporters grows. Be nice and polite to people are they're more likely to hand you money because they like you, knowing you exist also helps.

If you're unable to provide content people want to play obviously that's going to cripple any utility interacting with people on the internet might have, so you need talent/ability to make it a viable career. If you don't care about money because it's just a hobby then the need for talking to people also disappears.

Reactions: RanliLabz

Hadley

Sep 18, 2017
People who think F95 is just about Piracy don't fucking get it. Lots of people here love these type of Games and gladly support Games they believe in.
F95 is probably the best place to promote your Game. I really don't know many other Sites where you can promote your Adult-Game. People try /r/Lewdgames and LoversLab but LoversLab is more about Adult-Mods and on Reddit its a lot of random Spam.

Joshua Tree

Conversation Conqueror
Jul 10, 2017
Having so many reasons for someone not being here you could then consider what kinda devs do use f95
I guess: English speaking professional devs who do this for their living
Advertising the product is a primary concern for everyone ever so the profit motive for existing in f95 is there.
Everything else follows from those things.

If you want to maximize your bottom line your opinion on things like piracy or receiving critique doesn't matter, they're just things you live with. It's always worth your time to maintain your games community, grow it and amount of supporters grows. Be nice and polite to people are they're more likely to hand you money because they like you, knowing you exist also helps.

If you're unable to provide content people want to play obviously that's going to cripple any utility interacting with people on the internet might have, so you need talent/ability to make it a viable career. If you don't care about money because it's just a hobby then the need for talking to people also disappears.
In regard of content though. Quite a few have unrealistic expectations on how much content a creator is able to push out. Most have this as a hobby and the hours they got for their project's can be somewhat limited. Spreading your time between working on your project and growing/nursing your fandom can be counter productive. If they limit their interaction with their fans and followers to their own sites, discord etc A place they can easier moderate themselves also understandable. This place is at large quite unfiltered after all.

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
If you don't care about money because it's just a hobby then the need for talking to people also disappears.
Yet the most successful dev/teams aren't the one you'll see here. To my knowledge there's only three that have an account, and they don't use it this much. At the opposite, the large majority of the devs who are here are just hobbyists. And it's not surprising. Like any hobbyist they like to share their passion, to hear what people think about their creation and to know what they understood about it.
It's exactly the same than for any business. Elon Musk or Richard Branson talk a lot because they are hobbyist before running a business, but you'll never see someone form one of their competitor occupy the media, stay in touch with their customers. Of course, it help to have your game available here, but it's just that, a help. You'll touch more people if you make it to place like lewdgamer, dlsite or vndb. But anyway it's the availability of your game that matter, not the fact that you'll personally promote it.