• To improve security, we will soon start forcing password resets for any account that uses a weak password on the next login. If you have a weak password or a defunct email, please update it now to prevent future disruption.

Why does Summertime saga has more patrons than Badik ?

fuck925

Feb 23, 2019
Look I know both are completely different games and I can't say one is better than the other because both title's are highly popular. But my question is why the huge difference in patrons support ?

current patron support for:
BaDik: 13683
Summertime Saga: 29083

Just curious that's all.

• Thinking Face
Reactions: Frim der Wel

God3333

Mar 9, 2019
SummerTimeSaga and BAD cater to two different art styles. Perhaps more people are into the 2dcg style. May also be other differences.

Reactions: fuck925

Alcahest

Engaged Member
Donor
Game Developer
Jul 28, 2017
The main factor is simply time. Both time passed and that they started at different times.

DarkCookie (DC) started around August 2016 while DrPinkCake (DPC) started around April 2018 with his first game Acting Lessons. At that time, in April 2018, DC already had about 11000 patrons supporting him, not far from DPC's current patron number.

But ever since BADIK was released in 2019, DPC is getting more patrons faster than DC. If the current trend continues, DPC will pass DC sooner or later.

DC started out much stronger than DPC probably due to less competition and maybe DPC's first game wasn't that attractive to people compared with BADIK and Summertime Saga.

fuck925

Feb 23, 2019
The main factor is simply time. Both time passed and that they started at different times.

DarkCookie (DC) started around August 2016 while DrPinkCake (DPC) started around April 2018 with his first game Acting Lessons. At that time, in April 2018, DC already had about 11000 patrons supporting him, not far from DPC's current patron number.

But ever since BADIK was released in 2019, DPC is getting more patrons faster than DC. If the current trend continues, DPC will pass DC sooner or later.

DC started out much stronger than DPC probably due to less competition and maybe DPC's first game wasn't that attractive to people compared with BADIK and Summertime Saga.
Yeah, I think that's probably it. Not to mention Badik is on steam and people who buy it on steam will generally not become patrons or else DPC would have more patrons than what he has now.

Alcahest

Engaged Member
Donor
Game Developer
Jul 28, 2017
Adding to my previous post, I was then only talking about number of patrons. DrPinkCake doesn't show earnings, but given that DarkCookie only has a patron average of $2.6, which is pretty low, it's quite possible that DPC already earns about the same or even more than DC on Patreon.

Reactions: Albertoo

fuck925

Feb 23, 2019
Adding to my previous post, I was then only talking about number of patrons. DrPinkCake doesn't show earnings, but given that DarkCookie only has a patron average of $2.6, which is pretty low, it's quite possible that DPC already earns about the same or even more than DC on Patreon.
Yeah that's highly possible. DPC has a total of 10 tiers up to 150$ being the highest tier while darkcookie only has 4 tiers 20$ being the highest.

Apr 18, 2021
Comes down to personal taste. Myself finding SS's art style to be in no way appealing, while others would say the same of BaDik.
There are separate niche markets for Western Toon, Anime and 3D art styles individually.

Yeah, I think that's probably it. Not to mention Badik is on steam and people who buy it on steam will generally not become patrons or else DPC would have more patrons than what he has now.
Pretty curious about this. Steam draws a much broader audience but as you mention, they pay once then are done. Wonder if DPC is sacrificing some income by being on Steam vs reaching a larger customer base.

Last edited:
  • Thinking Face
Reactions: fuck925

fuck925

Feb 23, 2019
Pretty curious about this. Steam draws a much broader audience but as you mention, they pay once then are done. Wonder if DPC is sacrificing some income by being on Steam vs reaching a larger customer base.
Can't speak for DPC, But I read it somewhere that he's looking to be a "Professional Adult Novelist" maybe that's why his games are on steam or maybe he doesn't care if he's losing some bucks because he's already making a lot. dunno

Last edited:

j4yj4m

Forum Fanatic
Jun 19, 2017
With SummertimeSaga you get the game right away for $1 and as such a full year of SS support with full access etc. will cost you $12. So you pay this little and you get a lot for it. That's why people do it. With Badik you have to spend $25 just to get the game once on release day and you still have to pay at least 10 if you want it 3 days later, while SS has a free release after 24 to 48h. I think that alone explains a good chunk of the difference. If you want to stay in these badik tiers you'll have to pay $120 to $300 per year - which is pretty insane. I mean, for one year of the $25 same day release tier supporting badik you could support SS for 25 years.

Having said that, I still think that DrPinkCake makes a lot more money compared to DC, precisely because you have to pay $25 (or at least $10 for the 3 day delay) instead of $1.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2018
It's been around longer, and NSFW Patrons *never* unsubscribe. [Look at all the abandoned games that net a healthy salary of Patreon money every month.] Not that SS is a scam like those games.

Apr 18, 2021
Can anyone explain to me how games like SS are marketed as incest yet obviously the original game and any files from Patreon cannot have this content? Having not played it am guessing they go the "Roomate" or "Landlady" route? Then someone makes a patch but isn't that false advertisement for the paying patrons?

peterppp

Mar 5, 2020
Can anyone explain to me how games like SS are marketed as incest yet obviously the original game and any files from Patreon cannot have this content? Having not played it am guessing they go the "Roomate" or "Landlady" route? Then someone makes a patch but isn't that false advertisement for the paying patrons?
Where is it marketed as incest? A tag on f95zone is not the same as being marketed by the devs.

Apr 18, 2021
Where is it marketed as incest? A tag on f95zone is not the same as being marketed by the devs.
Yes you're right, that's what I'm genuinely curious about. Someone mentioned SS was popular because it was an incest game yet it isn't marketed that way as far as I know. Do games like this get popular because of the mod or...?

peterppp

Mar 5, 2020
Yes you're right, that's what I'm genuinely curious about. Someone mentioned SS was popular because it was an incest game yet it isn't marketed that way as far as I know. Do games like this get popular because of the mod or...?
If I remember correctly, SS was originally an incest game but had to change that when Patreon forbid incest. Most of their supporters joined before this I think. For other games, I don't know how much of the supporters actually play with incest patches. Games can get big without incest.

Reactions: Fatalmasterpiece

UpAfterTen

Game Developer
Apr 22, 2021
Funnily enough, I first discovered 3DCG visual novels because I came across BAD on Steam, and then from there I realized there was a whole wide world of that sort of games out there. It's possible the opposite could be true, and having something on Steam is good advertising to bring more "mainstream" gamers into the genre.

Apr 18, 2021
Funnily enough, I first discovered 3DCG visual novels because I came across BAD on Steam, and then from there I realized there was a whole wide world of that sort of games out there. It's possible the opposite could be true, and having something on Steam is good advertising to bring more "mainstream" gamers into the genre.
Same actually. Someone recommended BAD after we were disappointed with that adult Mass Effect parody Subverse

Reactions: sasha777

j4yj4m

Forum Fanatic
Jun 19, 2017
As mentioned, the game had real incest before Patreon suspended it in early 2018. To get it back online DC had to remove the incest or the ban would have been permanent. That's also why there is no official incest patch or so.
Then again, SS was never really supposed to be an actual incest game, but there are a few related characters and DC's patrons happened to vote for them first. So for the first 12 to 18 months of the development there was a lot of familiy content and not that much else. By now that has changed, oviously.

Reactions: Fatalmasterpiece