• To improve security, we will soon start forcing password resets for any account that uses a weak password on the next login. If you have a weak password or a defunct email, please update it now to prevent future disruption.

Why do most games have X and Z as inputs?

Trolldier Cop

Nov 14, 2017
How can ANYONE feel comfortable with it I mean srsly, who even thought this was a good idea? I'd recommend using the J, L or K keys.

Crimson Tide

Feb 26, 2018
Z and X are on the opposite side from the arrow keys, and are relatively far away from the mouse too. They're also close to the Shift key and the Spacebar. If you're playing a game that used WASD, then Z and X are horrible choices, but I've seen zero games that use WASD and Z/X.

Also, arrow keys + Z and X are the default controls for RPGMaker games, so a lot of people are comfortable with them.

u z i

lurker
Uploader
Donor
Nov 9, 2018
by most games you rpgm games right? anyways i think it's logical and intuitive because it helps to space out your right(for arrow keys) and left(for Z,X) hand while playing. also if you would like to play with one hand, the "enter" key="Z" and the "num0" key="X". so basically you can play with just your right hand.

Reactions: Pharan

Trolldier Cop

Nov 14, 2017
I've seen those not only in rpgmaker games btw. But thanks for the information tho! Maybe i'm used to play with WASD that's why i'm struggling

W65

May 31, 2018
Get yourself a copy of something like AutoHotKey and make up some scripts to rebind them.

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
Z and X are on the opposite side from the arrow keys, and are relatively far away from the mouse too.
I use my mouse with my left hand... which is also why I hate WASD games (this and because I don't have a QWERTY keyboard so it make no sense).

forbidden101v

The Hentai Witcher
Modder
Jun 2, 2018
I use my mouse with my left hand... which is also why I hate WASD games (this and because I don't have a QWERTY keyboard so it make no sense).
If you learn to play the game using only your toes then both your hands will be free to do other things like....
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

• Haha
Reactions: u z i

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
If you learn to play the game using only your toes then both your hands will be free to do other things like....
My real problem is that I can't even learn to use my right hand for the mouse, still I'm right handed. But well, in the end it make it all good for me, it's the good hand that stay free :D

fsap1

Dec 2, 2017
Reminiscent of SNES emulators where A,S,Z,X were used for Y,X,B,A I guess. Works for me.