• To improve security, we will soon start forcing password resets for any account that uses a weak password on the next login. If you have a weak password or a defunct email, please update it now to prevent future disruption.

HTML Whisper - a game concept inspired by No Haven

Noli Timere

May 22, 2017
I am slowly concepting and structuring a game skeleton, that takes ideas from games like No Haven, and Civilization, and would like to share my concepts, and thoughts with the community, in hopes to try and get a group of people together that can help create a robust and fun game (This game will take some time to finish, and I want to stress that this project isnt going to be rushed, but the more help i can get the faster it will become a reality)

Below is some information which may be subject to change, that will help people understand the path i want to currently take/what i have already thought out in some ammount

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Any feedback is welcome, as long as it pretains to the game, and isnt something like "Oh, no art? i dont care about this game, give me art or i wont play" <---- Im not a artist, and i dont care for feedback that doesnt help the game progress forward.

for more active updates please see the main thread, i will only be updating the F95 thread at crucial points of development

Main thread:

Last edited:

Noli Timere

May 22, 2017
Alright, some development on the game has occured in terms of art, as well as a switch over to HTML, when i get more time ill fix the posts to reflect the changes, as it sits atm i now have one of my old buddies working on art for the game, as well as am rebuilding into twine to allow for better use of CSS, as QSP was very limiting in terms of graphical detail (And as i now have a artist at least for the time being, i might as well use something with a better scope)

As i still am not a artist myself, the inital graphical additions will probly be sub-par, in terms of coded graphical additions, but i will evolve the skeleton as i go.

Noli Timere

May 22, 2017
A update, the basic graphical stuff has been setup for the beginning of the game IE Intro, and some incorporation for a basic Hud (I threw away most of the Twine Sugarcube hud).

Just a few notes to make about the above screenshots, we have not decided on a colour scheme yet, nor have we decided on a art direction yet, so everything above should just be seen as development shots of the skeleton, and not of a finished or direction we are taking in terms of the art or colour scheme involved, this is just so we can see how it might look with everything working together, also this is my test bed for learning CSS and javascript and the like.

I am also still transfering/remaking what i had previously in QSP, as a good chunk of my time was put into learning what i needed to create my own GUI, and externalize it so i can easily edit everything at once for each location later on down the road once we decide on a scheme and direction to take the art.

On a side note involving Updates, as this project is something we are doing as a side project, updates may happen alot or not at all for certain portions of time, I just want to make sure people realize this before they get there hopes up, or start expecting updates, I have already stated this above, but again this is just a reminder.

Also another shout out to any writers, having your assistance now, will speed up alot of the start up time it will take for me to write up starting content by myself, more the merrier.

Last edited:

Noli Timere

May 22, 2017
Mini update:

The player control center (The Work Desk inside the players room) is nearing completion, this is a rather large part of the game as it allows you to control the various inner workings of the settlement, however this part is not final there will defenitly be more additions later on, never the less the basics are nearing completion, and once finished, i will be turning my work towards fixing up a Paper doll, as our artist has pushed for said addition, and has made up quite a bit of template art for me to get started on making it possible

For more indepth updates please see the first post of this thread for the fenoxo thread, as i post more substantially on there.

Apr 26, 2020
Looks like something worth playing! I like the setting of No Haven and a new game along that line will tick the erotic horror box. Especially like that there are no hardlock bad ends.

Noli Timere

May 22, 2017
Hardlock endings usually make people lose intrest, so we will try to avoid them as much as possible, we cant say there wont be any though, but the ones that may end up existing will be more so if you win, IE take over the world or something, or you lose every capacity of being able to keep your settlement, but the number of these will be very few, as this game will be roughly open world oriented, and sandboxy, and keeping it in this respect (as much as was intended) is our main concern.

Edit: The above bit about losing your settlement refers to the settlement being completly destroyed, not if you lose control of it, unless you cease to exist for some reason or another after.

Mini-update the basics of the paper doll is finished, and im just finishing up adding in a coloring system for the various parts so the artist has more time for variety instead of repeats of various parts in different colors.

Last edited:

Noli Timere

May 22, 2017
Setup a discord feel free to join if your intrested in starting a community/want to follow the game in real time (or as real time as im willing to commit too)

Noli Timere

May 22, 2017
mini update

Plenty of minor additions have been added

- coloring system has been basicly finished, including body colors, hair colors, eye colors, more will be added as more parts become available that need coloring.

- Externalization of some code to make stuff easier to add too (Construction menu rebuilt, worker data made available to other parts to allow for QoL additions)

- Bunch of locations have been added in with player actions (only resource gathering atm but theres room for plenty more as more capabilities are added), essential what has been added is the settlements interior locations and some exterior, but not remotely as much as will be in there by the time a playable version of the game is released

- Start of the economy, but this is a large section of the game so it will probly take some time, essentially is going to be one of the larger background processes and will very likely need to be refined once the end turn loading screen bits are introduced, but I plan on making it a moderately robust background management minigame.

Anyways, still tons to do involving economy, and cant really say what will come next, as it may change by the time i get done the needed economy portion.

Noli Timere

May 22, 2017
mini update

- worked on Database methods for use with items,clothing,heroes,slaves,etc and should be able to move forward with the larger portions of the economy, as well as the coming milestones.

- added in store location data.

- redid a ton of backend stuff for the end of day section of the game, allowing for a morning report statistics page, which should allow the player to see where there may be deficits in there settlement, this also allows for more stuff to be viewed on end of day, now having 2 sections (Right at the end of day | When you wake up), which allow for organization of information so it isnt all over the place or unlisted.

- bunch of other additions/changes.

Noli Timere

May 22, 2017
mini updated

- Potion creation method (Basic, but dynamic)

- Alchemy shop additions

- Item Classes for use with Alchemy Shop (more as i go through all the shop types)

Noli Timere

May 22, 2017
mini update

- Ecnomy milestone, is almost done, however im taking a break to get some other stuff done.

- Mission system is being worked on, which will include a procedurally generated haunting mission for starters

Noli Timere

May 22, 2017
mini update

- Still plugging away at the mission system, its getting closer and closer to being something playable, but still a ways off.

Only posting on here at this point, as i havent in such a long time, as this thread is mostly going to still be about larger updates.

James009

The Gravewalker
Jun 4, 2018
HI, i am Huge fan of text based game (y)
Will there be character creation in the game ?

Noli Timere

May 22, 2017
There will be character creation ingame, you can check the public old version on the discord under #client-preview, to have a better idea

Noli Timere

May 22, 2017
Quick update at the current state of the skeleton

The mission system is for the most part done, balancing is probly still a issue, however testing has been rather slow, as i have set it to some volunteers instead of my own testing so i can continue on with the game.

I have begun a rewrite of the base games code, into its own system like the missions use, as it allows me to have the game world controlled by a director easier, then if i had kept using the old page to page sugarcube method, as such i am redoing majority of it, which is allowing me to upgrade, and fix various flaws in the original setup, as well as add new and from what i can only guess being a gamer myselfl; very much improved additions to the game, such as:

- NPC's as population (instead of numbers): this should make the world able to become much more breathing, and unique per playthrough (least once npcs are properly functional)

- AI Directors: allows randomized/scripted story arc progressions dynamicly through gameplay, as well as many other bits and pieces, which may have been a much larger undertaking if using simpler methods to achieve it.

- NPC Settlements and Multi-owned Settlements: Allowing for settlement to settlement diplomacy (later on), as well as the player or npc being able to conquest over other settlements (again a later feature)

- Building ownership: Shops can be owned by npc's (maybe players later on), and houses and slave pens can also be owned by NPC's or players (With possible ability to rent out said structures)

- honestly havent scratched the surface of what this setup can achieve but I (atm) cant remember anything else i had been thinking on, however the above bits should be a clear indicator of the direction the skeleton is going.

Noli Timere

May 22, 2017
Long time coming update

- Mission Systems base is completed, and present in the public client on the discord (likely still needs work, and isnt remotely finished for what i want to add into it, but for the time being is enough to give a idea of what is to come

- A bunch of rewrites for behind the scenes code for use by the last item in this list

- Settlement backend (still being worked on)

- As said above a rewrite of the base game is happening, which is to include a chunk of features to the base game that i found might benefit it from the mission system here is a list of new additions as well as ideas that will likely end up fitting into the new base game system (This is a more indepth Idea and finished listing):
+ AI Director (Overworld Director in this case, which will control story flow, NPC's, AI Settlements, etc; basicly anything that isnt what the player is really controlling)​
+ Procedural World Generation (Still being worked on)​
+ World Population as independent entities (Not just numbers with a few NPC's littered here and there)​
+ Story Arcs Controlled by the AI Director, which will be created using the worlds assets (Example of a scenario that could exist: A Evil NPC, kidnaps a players favorite NPC, or needed NPC, and taking control of a world location, with a deadline to save said NPC without them being perverted, or otherwise changed, or harsher situations of vanishing, to never be seen again, depending) <--- this system is not yet in, however is the base idea for use with the new base game system​
+ Reactive NPC's (Essentially this idea is revolving around NPC's possibly containing various Databases with information they gather on other NPC's and the player, which can be used in various ways, IE: Gossip, coups, friendships, rivalries, love, hate, etc; this will allow for NPC's to be molded into various emotional/relationship lifestyles, as they live in the game world, and will be updated per day cycle turn, as well as end turns) <---- this is still a rough idea, and may change in the future​
+ NPC controlled settlements (This will allow the player to visit other settlements, and trade with, live in, make alliances with, dominate; other settlements as well as allow a later on Wargame which will allow for Player vs NPC, or NPC vs NPC wars, as well as broaden the players selection of items/gear/weapons and so on, with the use of NPC settlements shops, if they have been researched and built yet <---- the prep work is technically being done as i work on the player settlement since all settlements use a modular base class to control them, and thus alot of the work minus the AI Director needed code will already be done by the time i flesh out and finish the player settlement​
+ Research/Construction/Laws will be relatively the same as the original base game idea which is still present in the public client, for those who want to look, however as settlements have been rebuilt the system has slightly evolved (Just a note: at a later date I will be going back through its code and making it less time consuming to add to, since it no longer uses dynamics, and needs to at some point)​
+ Missions (From the various systems that get added) will appear randomly while exploring the game world, as well as be able to be setup using the Portal Building in the player/NPC settlements, and later on NPC's may be able to have a random chance to go on and do there own, with various rewards which can either be for themselves, or for the settlement, or could also lead to them being captured, and new rescue missions being available to the player.​
+ Plenty of more ideas in the pot, however I am going step by step, and havent gotten very far in yet on the new rewrite, so the current above directions should suffice till most are in or have been added in another form or another​

Noli Timere

May 22, 2017
Update, as the project is still going, just hasnt been much progress forward due to working on fixing performance still.

However quick summary of the bits that have gotten in to the performance fixed version

- World Generation (currently basic, but generates a somewhat unique grouping of locations, still not virtualized on any kind of "map", but its there, likely going to be going with a CoC form of movement where you do a RNG explore, to locate new places, or something, but may end up gaining a map later in some form)

- NPC's with feelings for other npcs and the player (not hooked entirly yet, as im still working through some things)

- NPC AI which will be connected with the AI Director later (currently they can sandbox in the game world, moving from location to location, doing things they feel based on a Want and Need system, still rather basic)

- Basic Dialogue system (based on the Illusions Artifical Academy series, where each personality contains a dialog library per trait, will likely need alot more work down the road, and currently only has generic dialog as I added some for testing purposes)

- New Save/Load system using light compression, to make sure it can save around 7 million complex objects, and save fast enough within that object limit, the loading however is a bit slower, although previous loading was super fast, so the slow down isnt very noticable unless you reach the 6-7million object range (the current client preview on the discord is set with around 6+million complex objects, as npcs with maxed out feelings databases is around 6 mill complex objects and world locations are a somewhat large sum as well), there is a downside to using light compression also, as the current Max limit of objects shown in the preview is around 800 megs, the game itself however will be using much smaller amounts of NPC's without mods, as well as smaller amounts of complex world locations (give or take as missions will be there own environment and will be a very complex object when spawned into a world location), so the megs per save will likely be far less, however will still be large, if i end up finding another compression that can piggy back without ruining save and load speeds, ill add it in however, just isnt on my todo list atm as it does what i wanted it to do in the first place (save large ammounts of objects, and do it fast)

Plenty of other stuff was done, which isnt worth mentioning, on here, however the pace is still going to be slow, next bits should bring it back to getting a visual side, which will allow me to add back in most of the game elements again, but im not going to promise any haste in getting there, as the faster I go, the more likely there will be issues that may cause more rewriting, and less time getting new content/mechanics in.

Noli Timere

May 22, 2017
Mmmm sci-fi/fantasy, but sure, maybe kinda, going for a more sandboxed procedural world, route though, with likely the ability to not need a settlement to play.