When I download a game it takes around an hour or more to unzip how do i fix this issue?

Winterfire

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Game Developer
Sep 27, 2018
Need more information.
Slow unpacking could be related to many things including your machine specs and software used (Winrar? 7Zip?).

GrimmShade

Aug 13, 2018
alright #1 i'm using a windows 10 tablet/w a keyboard attachment
#2 its not with all games only a few of them
#3 I've run into this problem with compressed files not 7zip yet

Winterfire

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Game Developer
Sep 27, 2018
That does not help much :p
Assuming you have a fast machine and not a potato, a slow extraction could be because the archive is super compressed (to have a lighter size) which means it will take longer to extract... Never saw something taking one hour tho.
The software you use to extract makes a big difference, too. I suggest to use 7zip.

Reactions: Papa Ernie

User4862

May 26, 2019
another possibly, some games dont pack images in to a single large file, which means theres potentially thousands of image files that need to be unpacked with the rest of the game. having to deal with that many files can also slow down unpacking.

Reactions: Winterfire

DraconicPervert

Modder
Sep 6, 2016
Alright, a few things:
  • Download speed has nothing to do with how fast you can extract a file (unless that 1 hour you mentioned is the combined time of downloading and extracting)
  • I assume you know that bigger file sizes need longer times to extract than smaller sizes and that is not the issue you are describing here
  • Extracting speed is usually dependent by the processing speed of your CPU and the reading/writing speed of your HDD/SSD
  • Aside from the hardware, your extracting speed is also dependent on the compression ratio and software you use (like Winterfire explained)
If none of the above points apply to you why your extracting is so slow, you might have a virus that slows down your PC and you should do a virus scan.

Last edited:

User #1751331

Oct 30, 2019
i'm using a windows 10 if that helps at all
There are a lot of things that can be a factor.
Your CPU speed can be a factor.
The number of cores it has and the number of things going on on the system will certainly have an effect.
The more processor or CPU performance being used by other stuff the less there is for the decompression software.
The drive usage is certainly going to play a factor. The more other software is accessing the drive the slower the decompression will be.
A system with two little memory will end up using drive as virtual ram far to often.
Or it could be something as simple as someone trying to watch a movie or use a program that is accessing the drive.

When it comes to drives. Windows is a bit of a shit. It almost never sets up accessing drives at their top speed. Take doing a file copy from drive A to B you have to.

A lot of devices like tablets are running slower CPUs because of power constraints and they have smaller and cheaper drives and are usually have to little ram.

Like Wyrmslayer70 said DL speed has nothing to do with decompression speed.

Pretty much any windows 10 device using less than 4Gigs is going to use up virtual memory. That means it will be using the HDD or SSD a lot more than it should. The more windows on browsers you have open the more apps you have open the worse it gets.

How filled up and fragmented the drive is is going to play a part also.

Use the windows task manager to see how much it happens. Unfortunately it also is going to add to that factor.

Because of the low ram numbers in tablets bad spots in the SSDs come up faster and more often. Thus those also mean maping around them for drives internal software.

You can increase the priority the program has but don't over do it.

You can try and set windows to maximize the drive potential. If you aren't used to doing it well you probably shouldn't you are more likely to cause harm than good and don't just download software thinking it will work.

Hope that gives you an idea of how hard it is to say what the specific issue is for you.

Reactions: Xanado